AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you?
I know I am hero in my life 8 66.67%
I know you are hero in your life 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-28, 21:39   Link #21
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Im the evil super villain that fails to destroy the world
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 07:24   Link #22
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Everyone is a hero in their own lives, you are the main character of your own narrative.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 07:49   Link #23
mystogan
The Lost Lamb
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: in Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Everyone is a hero in their own lives, you are the main character of your own narrative.
but main character is not the same as Hero, everyone IS the main character for themselves, but that doesn't means that they are the Hero, if we go by the meaning of Hero as the one who is strong and saves the day in it's own manner,

as for me i am not a Hero in my life or in anyone else's
__________________
mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 07:52   Link #24
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Everyone is a hero in their own lives, you are the main character of your own narrative.
And that is why this book should be under the self-improvement section in bookstores.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 08:31   Link #25
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
That's right, if you understand the Hero's Journey, you will know that everyone, literally every character is a hero.

For the sake of keeping it simple every character I mention is a male, but it applies to all females as well.

The villian is a hero, he is the protagonist of his own narrative and the 'good guy' trying to stop him is his antagonist.

The character in the background sitting on the bench eating a doughnut, he is the hero of his own narrative, his antagonist is the human body's demand for energy in the form of food.

A guy being saved by a superhero, he is the hero of his own story, he did his best to try and survive but learns that he has his limits and in this situation, he requires the help of someone stronger than him. He also teaches the superhero that there are people in this world that needs his protection and that he has the ability to save others.

A comedic or joke character, his antagonist is not the characters in his own story, his antagonist is the audience, he has to make them laugh. That's why a comedic character like Deadpool breaks the 4th wall, his main objective is not to defeat his enemies or to survive, he can't die anyway. His main objective is to make people laugh.

Whoever you put into perspective, whoever you try to describe his narrative, becomes the hero of his own story. The hero is the main character of his own story. A protagonist is used to describe a main character when you want to identify the antagonist, anything that is obstructing the character towards his goal is the antagonist.

At this point, I suppose I should explain narrative, plot and story.

A narrative is basically what happened to anything, a narrative of a piece of bread is its baking process, you can even talk about its life as wheat if you want to.

A plot is the interweaving narratives of multiple characters, such as the piece of bread, the toaster, egg and butter, their combined narratives sets up a plot for a nice french toast.

They can all be heroes of their own narratives, but now I'm telling you that this is the story of life. That this piece of french toast that they make up is just one of the many plots in the story of how humans need food to survive in the story of life. The bread or wheat, the eggs, butter and parts of the toaster if you want to break it up like that, are all narratives weaved together in a plot to put a perspective on a small portion of the story of life.

A story is the universe that the characters live in. And depending on who you want to put into perspective for a narrative, the character in context is the hero.

We are all heroes in this story called life.

EDIT: I missed out an important part, we are all heroes in our own lives because we all have to overcome whatever obstacles no matter how small they are.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 08:57   Link #26
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Sometimes, when I do a good job, people clap.
Hero? No. From my point of view, a hero is someone, who takes another one out of misfortune, problems or other issues. I helped people out in my life, but still, I don't think, that I'm a hero.
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 09:04   Link #27
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Do you know that time when you ate something to stop your hunger? Yep, that's when you were a hero to yourself.

And you can tell me that the person, maybe yourself, your partner, a chef, food factory or someone else who made that meal to stop your hunger, yep that person is a hero also.

Or you can go internal, you remember the time when your heart is beating to pump blood around your body? Yep, your heart is a hero.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 12:37   Link #28
mystogan
The Lost Lamb
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: in Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Do you know that time when you ate something to stop your hunger? Yep, that's when you were a hero to yourself.

And you can tell me that the person, maybe yourself, your partner, a chef, food factory or someone else who made that meal to stop your hunger, yep that person is a hero also.

Or you can go internal, you remember the time when your heart is beating to pump blood around your body? Yep, your heart is a hero.
Now you are just breaking the concept of hero into very fundamental level too extremely

let me take your examples, the chef who prepared the food that is his job he gets paid for it, he did not do it for the sole purpose of helping you,
the heart pumps the blood because that is the heart's job to keep the body alive
__________________
mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 16:11   Link #29
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Right now I am like Ryuuk. Bored.
__________________
GreyZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 16:16   Link #30
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Hero?

Hell no, heroes have to share their meat. I want all the meat for myself.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 16:33   Link #31
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
I legitimately laughed . That line was perfect.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 17:45   Link #32
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
Now you are just breaking the concept of hero into very fundamental level too extremely

let me take your examples, the chef who prepared the food that is his job he gets paid for it, he did not do it for the sole purpose of helping you,
the heart pumps the blood because that is the heart's job to keep the body alive
Extreme? Nope, this is what goes through the mind of an animator daily, this is what my training and research has taught me, the Hero's Journey applies to everyone and everything.

One thing that the general audience don't get is that being a hero doesn't mean you save someone, a hero is simply someone who overcomes an obstacle to reach an objective.

Does getting paid and doing a job mean that you are not a hero?

If that's so, all the cooking dramas with chefs, medical dramas about doctors, war stories with soldiers etc. are all non heroic. These guys are just doing their job and getting paid, none of them did it solely to help people.

What is a narrative?

The secret is that all narratives have the same structure, the Monomyth; hero goes on a normal day, something bad happens, solves the problem/ overcome obstacle, reach objective.

"I went to school this morning" <- Not a narrative, just a statement.

"I woke up late this morning and I had to rush to school, but I made it in the end."

This is a narrative, beginning, middle and end, an obstacle to beat: time, and an objective: reach school, character is a hero. If you want, you can say he saved his day. Just not a really interesting narrative.

But mundane things can also make interesting stories, which is why slice of life is so popular. Its up to the writing and animation/acting to make the story interesting.

Take Nichijou for example, you can make everyday things look and sound insane, have little girls run around and beat the crap out of each other, just to get back a note book. Mio is a hero.

Stories involving characters saving the day are automatically heroes because the act of saving involves overcoming an obstacle. It is not the saving that makes one a hero, it is the overcoming.

So why is the heart a hero? Everyday it beats non stop, overcoming forces such as gravity to pump blood all around your body to keep you alive.

A writer should know the concept of the Heroes Journey in order to both understand what a hero and story really is and how to reinvent the Monomyth.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 18:58   Link #33
mystogan
The Lost Lamb
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: in Darkness
^i am not saying that any feat performed by those guys is not heroic, ofcourse people perform heroic acts in their regular work

what i am saying was that something is not always heroic just because it is doing what it is meant to be doing,
and i don't think one could be called hero if he is able to solve his daily life problems that every other person can do as well, hero is the one who can do something that others around him cannot

i am not saying that your measure of hero is not correct, i am saying it is too vast and also covers that which are not exactly heroic
__________________
mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 19:48   Link #34
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
That's right, if you understand the Hero's Journey, you will know that everyone, literally every character is a hero.

For the sake of keeping it simple every character I mention is a male, but it applies to all females as well.

The villian is a hero, he is the protagonist of his own narrative and the 'good guy' trying to stop him is his antagonist.

The character in the background sitting on the bench eating a doughnut, he is the hero of his own narrative, his antagonist is the human body's demand for energy in the form of food.

A guy being saved by a superhero, he is the hero of his own story, he did his best to try and survive but learns that he has his limits and in this situation, he requires the help of someone stronger than him. He also teaches the superhero that there are people in this world that needs his protection and that he has the ability to save others.

A comedic or joke character, his antagonist is not the characters in his own story, his antagonist is the audience, he has to make them laugh. That's why a comedic character like Deadpool breaks the 4th wall, his main objective is not to defeat his enemies or to survive, he can't die anyway. His main objective is to make people laugh.

Whoever you put into perspective, whoever you try to describe his narrative, becomes the hero of his own story. The hero is the main character of his own story. A protagonist is used to describe a main character when you want to identify the antagonist, anything that is obstructing the character towards his goal is the antagonist.

At this point, I suppose I should explain narrative, plot and story.

A narrative is basically what happened to anything, a narrative of a piece of bread is its baking process, you can even talk about its life as wheat if you want to.

A plot is the interweaving narratives of multiple characters, such as the piece of bread, the toaster, egg and butter, their combined narratives sets up a plot for a nice french toast.

They can all be heroes of their own narratives, but now I'm telling you that this is the story of life. That this piece of french toast that they make up is just one of the many plots in the story of how humans need food to survive in the story of life. The bread or wheat, the eggs, butter and parts of the toaster if you want to break it up like that, are all narratives weaved together in a plot to put a perspective on a small portion of the story of life.

A story is the universe that the characters live in. And depending on who you want to put into perspective for a narrative, the character in context is the hero.

We are all heroes in this story called life.

EDIT: I missed out an important part, we are all heroes in our own lives because we all have to overcome whatever obstacles no matter how small they are.
You are right probably in the aspect of defining that, we are all heroes in our lives. One thing I would like to add, is that the hero/heroine often makes his/her own choices, rarely relying on other people to do so for him/her because it is often for his/her own good, whether be it adhering to a personal belief or for the benefit of someone he/she cares about.

Despite each Eastern and Western fiction having their defining trait for all, I find that there is a common trait as defined for all heroes, and that is courage. A hero/heroine's prominence stems from that; whether it be from a personal belief or just sheer willpower and desire. And that is what makes heroes human; a personal belief is a bottomline we never fall beyond in life, while the sheer willpower and desire drives us to push forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Hero?

Hell no, heroes have to share their meat. I want all the meat for myself.
Fine then. Here is a meaty heroine.

If you can avoid becoming her meat that is.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 19:54   Link #35
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Fine then. Here is a meaty heroine.

If you can avoid becoming her meat that is.

How do her string bean arms lift that sword?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 20:19   Link #36
Keinen Slaeyir
You can't kill me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: I Travel Through Universes
I'm the one who loves to fight. I guess I'm a dark-hero. I wouldn't really care for the civilians. If they got in my way of attacking my opponent its their own fault. But I suppose if someone who's close sure I'll help them a little.
Keinen Slaeyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.