AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 35 33.02%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 23.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 27.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-30, 09:29   Link #61
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, but to cover an angle not yet mentioned, Rico's face was ridiculously moe when Eren sealed the gate.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 09:57   Link #62
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
According to one user that talk about this, the user believes "the best ten can become a police" was designed that way so most of the graduates have to work hard to improve their skills if they want to join the police. So that way, even if they lose ten good soldiers for the police., there will be others who did well but didn't get into the ten that are still be available to the Garrison and Recon forces.
It's still stupid. What I'd do is let the top 10, or 20, or 30 performers (both cadets and soldiers) get rotated to postings in the inner city for a few months. It would help with shell shock, it would provide an incentive for them to do well even once they're out of the academy, and it would ensure the best of the best get to the actual frontlines.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 09:57   Link #63
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Three minutes of recap. Are they trying to make this the new One Piece? This makes the full recap we'll get next week even more useless.

What was up with the random frame dips and those still shots in the middle the action? This just keeps getting worse production wise... hopefully, the break next week will allow them to get back on their feet.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 10:04   Link #64
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
well, somehow it's still painful even though this is their first victory against Titan
actually I hope Eren can still have reserve strength after carrying the stone... He should kick some titans before out of strength

Ian and Mitabi died without seeing the fruit of their sacrifice... at least they deserved to see the first triumph
Marco Bott is also died... too bad for him... I thought big 10 104th corps are somehow untouchable but he's just died like that....

so many people died... and the death gives more emotional impact than victory feeling

at least, Erwin and Levi are badass...
I'm looking to see Eren in Recon Corps... hopefully no more silly death because all of them are elite
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 10:10   Link #65
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Okay, I usually don't care about animation quality (I'd take slick stills over really fugly animation anytime) but this episode reached new heights of sloppy animation. Like, I legit wonder how the heck they decided to air this, weren't they embarrassed? Don't they have some professional pride and reputation to uphold?

That blu-ray release better be touched up.

But this is still leagues better than crap like Bleach or Valgrave, and unless Episode 14 is just a 25-minute still of Eren picking his nose I'm sticking with this.

Edit: Shoot, I forgot Ian died. I was getting fond of him.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 11:08   Link #66
desrtsku
wuaaai!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
A re-cap episode on top of what's already there at the beginning of each ep is already pushing it 'cause it means they'll have to pack the story in tighter from now on, or skip entire scenes/arcs which will probably enrage the audience even more.
The recap episode is "13.5" instead of "14". Guess what that means. (probably nothing ... I don't know)
I'm not an advocate either, but make your choice : a recap episode or thousand stills and missed frames per episode from ep 14 and more, which one do you prefer? You can complain about whatever you want but their decision was the best in this kind of situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
Don't they have some professional pride and reputation to uphold?
Ironic post is ironic.
Kinda off topic but they did ask for new animators on twitter. That gives you an idea.
__________________
Justice will prevail.
Forever and ever.
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 11:37   Link #67
BoyTitan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo,Newyork
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
Okay, I usually don't care about animation quality (I'd take slick stills over really fugly animation anytime) but this episode reached new heights of sloppy animation. Like, I legit wonder how the heck they decided to air this, weren't they embarrassed? Don't they have some professional pride and reputation to uphold?

That blu-ray release better be touched up.

But this is still leagues better than crap like Bleach or Valgrave, and unless Episode 14 is just a 25-minute still of Eren picking his nose I'm sticking with this.

Edit: Shoot, I forgot Ian died. I was getting fond of him.

Valraves animations are pretty good. The art style when compared to this is crap if you are talking character design. But animation wise the fight scenes have been very fluid. Excluding ovas best animated mech battles I seen in a while so no clue what your talking about bashing thier animations.

Ok so what went wrong with the animations can some one who knows more about anime production explain how it ended up like this ?
__________________
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 11:49   Link #68
richardtengcy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Valraves animations are pretty good. The art style when compared to this is crap if you are talking character design. But animation wise the fight scenes have been very fluid. Excluding ovas best animated mech battles I seen in a while so no clue what your talking about bashing thier animations.

Ok so what went wrong with the animations can some one who knows more about anime production explain how it ended up like this ?
I believe it has something to do with the fast animation for the 3DMG scenes....those scenes took up lots of their time, budget and animator.

Another reason could be lack of animator.
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 11:50   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Ok so what went wrong with the animations can some one who knows more about anime production explain how it ended up like this ?
I think there are two (possible) main reasons: censoring or stills in place of actual animations due to the animators simply couldn’t make the deadline.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 12:53   Link #70
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
The recap episode is "13.5" instead of "14". Guess what that means. (probably nothing ... I don't know)
I'm not an advocate either, but make your choice : a recap episode or thousand stills and missed frames per episode from ep 14 and more, which one do you prefer? You can complain about whatever you want but their decision was the best in this kind of situation.
Hey take it easy I ain't complaining (much) here. If you read my post carefully you'd see I'm making an observation based on the fact that they've obviously messed up, so I'm not gonna make excuses for a studio who've bitten off more than they can chew and ended up in a situation where people have to settle for one outcome or the other when the production team could've avoided such a debacle with proper planning and resource management in the first place.

As I said you can be an apologist all you want. It's a given people would be disappointed, there's no denying it. Like Jan-Poo said, had the show's quality been mediocre from the beginning the audience wouldn't have cared about it as much. But when you have studios like Wit who went out of their way to set a high bar and didn't deliver, not because of some mitigating factor but because they're simply not able to cope, just because they've now given themselves some breathing room, how does that guarantee you the quality (animation and overall) will improve after the recap episode?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 13:31   Link #71
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
It's because they are in a flat land with no building = can't leap like spidermen. Rico did it by jumping from the wall and that was only possible because that titan was close to it. And Mikasa is Mikasa, no one else has that much luck or skill.
Skills?

They trained in a giant forest by shooting grapples into Tree trunks. I can't see why they can't do the same thing with a Titan's neck. We've seen that it's possible. As Rico stated they are elite soldiers so they should have some skills in performing some maneuvers.

The guys had to get close enough to get the Titan's attention which generally speaking is very close to begin with they could easily grapple onto the Titan's necks and slice the nape there.

And speaking of which, even when they were running from the Titans why didn't they grapple? They weren't even that far from the buildings or the damn wall. They could easily once they get the Titan's attention they could grapple and get to the buildings while still maintaining their attention. When Ian noticed Mitabi's squad running on the ground the guys could've easily grappled onto the buildings to their left.

This only happened because they wanted to show the sacrifices for Eren. Too bad that Rico girl had to survive. Something tells me she's going to make Eren pay for it.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 13:33   Link #72
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boundary of No Return
If you people can complain so much about the animations, why don't you guys go do it then ?

I bet most of the ones who are commenting that this animation is shitty can't even come out with a simple 5 minute smooth animation.

Seriously, don't like it then stop watching it. We don't need your self-style righteous know it all comments as if you are the best animator in the world.
Mistwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 13:46   Link #73
shalala
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Under the 7 seas
Tbh I didn't notice any of the bad animation nor the purple bricks. The ep it self was awwessome. When Elen was taking the bloder to the holeand plugs it I pretty much cried tears. Still what is their reason to capture the Titans?
shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:07   Link #74
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Boy, that was some pretty terrible animation all round...

Eren-Titan managing to finally seal the wall was expected so not much to say there. His speech was nice and all but doesn't really add much. Marco's death was a real downer as well as that disturbing shot of his half eaten corpse, but the constant narration of casualties kinda gets old after a while.

All in all, I have to say I've lost a lot of interest in this show. Not enough to drop it but it's made me massively disappointed. Well the arc is finally over so maybe it'll get better now. Or rather after the pointless recap episode. Saved enough money yet, you guys?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:35   Link #75
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange Road
Age: 24
I don't really mind of stills, however drop in frame count causing laggy scenes are just unforgivable

it's like serving unfinished dish , leaving a bad taste in your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
I'm looking to see Eren in Recon Corps... hopefully no more silly death because all of them are elite
not all of them, some maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwrath View Post
If you people can complain so much about the animations, why don't you guys go do it then ?

I bet most of the ones who are commenting that this animation is shitty can't even come out with a simple 5 minute smooth animation.

Seriously, don't like it then stop watching it. We don't need your self-style righteous know it all comments as if you are the best animator in the world.
I bet 99% who watch this anime CANNOT make simple 5 minute smooth animation like you just mentioned, but hey, the main audience/target for the anime itself isn't only for those who "can make 5 minute smooth animation" is it?

what's with this "you cannot complain if the food taste bad because you're not a chef" thing
rubbish
__________________

Last edited by articuzwolf; 2013-06-30 at 15:04.
articuzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:46   Link #76
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwrath View Post
If you people can complain so much about the animations, why don't you guys go do it then ?

I bet most of the ones who are commenting that this animation is shitty can't even come out with a simple 5 minute smooth animation.

Seriously, don't like it then stop watching it. We don't need your self-style righteous know it all comments as if you are the best animator in the world.
This time though, the complaints are valid--they're not just stills (as well as long ass recap), but just really obvious "we really can't meet deadline so have unfinished, padded animations here and there". Biggest offender is definitely the Annie's slaying a Titan to save Jean scene, or rather lack thereof. It's also really hard not to spot the obvious recycled animation to "pad some stuffs" in particular scenes

In my case, it's more like "I would enjoy this episode much more if the animation failures are not glaringly obvious orz". I cannot vouch for 4chan animation elistist or people who got brainwashed that 50% good animation (action scenes) vs 50% bad animation (lolpaddingslolunfinishedlol) in one episode is a dung though wwww

Still, I don't think animation is solely the thing I should focus my enjoyment at, I greatly enjoyed this episode after all. Loved the hole plugging scene the best, so much intensity with that BGM playing! Also, for personal reasons dat last 5 minutes scene. I choked on my hot chocolate. I don't know whether to go fangirl or be glad I'm still alive after nearly out of breath from choking...

Hopefully this episode will be fixed in the BD/DVD though... I certainly don't want my money wasted at unfinished product
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:53   Link #77
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwrath View Post
If you people can complain so much about the animations, why don't you guys go do it then ?
This kind of argument pops up from time to time against "those who complains" but it doesn't really serves much of a purpose if your point is to defend this work.

In the end we can all agree that they are doing a better work than completely untalented persons, but that's not really flattering.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:57   Link #78
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwrath View Post
If you people can complain so much about the animations, why don't you guys go do it then ?

I bet most of the ones who are commenting that this animation is shitty can't even come out with a simple 5 minute smooth animation.

Seriously, don't like it then stop watching it. We don't need your self-style righteous know it all comments as if you are the best animator in the world.
I would like to remind everybody that this sub-forum is not a fan club were only positive comments should be posted. The complains about this episode are perfectly valid, and if some of you only want to see positive goody-goody comments, then you probably are better off posting elsewhere.

Feel free to disagree with others, but if I see anymore of this "stop posting" sort of nonsense, then it will be those people who will see their posts deleted.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:57   Link #79
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
For the sake of reference, the purple bricks (and green steam) moment.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Animation has presented me with far more disturbing horrors over the years (giant Transformers cat will never be forgotten), but flaws in what's presented are still flaws.
__________________
Endless Knackwurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 15:03   Link #80
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
`````````````````````````````
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post

I'm not gonna be an apologist for the staff shortage/tight schedule the studio is suffering from 'cause they're teaming up with Production I.G afterall.
Which doesn't mean all that much without proper scheduling. A studio with a modest budget can turn out something great as long they have time and dedication. Time is the issue WIT faces and I don't they're to blame as much as Kodasha who wanted the adaptation out as quickly as possible to capitalize on it's popularity. That said, while there were definitely bits of shoddiness in Ep 13, I thought the overall animation was quite good, espeically some of 3DMG parts. Far from the worst I've seen and believe me it could certainly be much worse. It was more uneven then anything. Nothing BD's can't fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's truly a pity. This show has such a huge potential, an awesome writer, an awesome composer and an awesome director, it could be the a masterpiece but it ends up having so many flaws animation wise that it completely undermines its value.
I don't know about SnK being a masterpiece even if it's animation was up par, but there's have been plenty of great 24 and 51 length shows called such who have had their similar share of many animation flaws. But SnK like them is greater than the sum of it's parts IMO, and it despite it's issues ep 13 seems to be pretty well received. I do wish too that WIT had more time to polish things, but I disagree with the show ending up mediocre because of it.

Frankly, I would rather have this then tripe like Guilty Crown who for all it's stellar production values was nothing more than shell of tropes that suffered from a identity crisis and focused market testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Skills?

They trained in a giant forest by shooting grapples into Tree trunks. I can't see why they can't do the same thing with a Titan's neck. We've seen that it's possible. As Rico stated they are elite soldiers so they should have some skills in performing some maneuvers.
.
Exactly why skills have everything to do with it. If you notice Mikasa and Levi are the only ones who ever do that because their use of 3DMG surpasses others even among Elites. The use 3DMG is mainly meant and trained to hook on to stationary targets, i.e buildings, towers, trees etc, not moving targets like Titans. Fighting with the gear is dangerous enough as it is, but adding the factor of a moving target brings greater risk for missed timing, or balance slip ups. Not to mention you can misjudge a Titan's speed and get caught. It's not a guaranteed kill and its wiser not attempt it if don't have confidence to pull it off.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-06-30 at 15:25.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.