AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 35 33.02%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 23.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 27.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-06-30, 15:32   Link #81
desrtsku
Hold this for me.

Longest post I've even written in all my life. And I have a test tomorrow ... why does it always happen to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Ok so what went wrong with the animations can some one who knows more about anime production explain how it ended up like this ?

What you should know about Japanese animation
:
Spoiler for too long:

What is Snk's problem?
Spoiler for too long:

What to do when you have this sort of problem?

Spoiler for too long:

How should people react?
Spoiler for too long:

Spoiler for saving place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
-snip-
My bad, I didn't make myself clear enough. I understood your post, and I said I don't blame you for complaining or being disappointed. I'm just blaming you for saying they did the wrong choice by adding a recap in order to fix their problem.
Also, thanks to Iron Maw for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Skills?

They trained in a giant forest by shooting grapples into Tree trunks. I can't see why they can't do the same thing with a Titan's neck. We've seen that it's possible. As Rico stated they are elite soldiers so they should have some skills in performing some maneuvers.
The guys had to get close enough to get the Titan's attention which generally speaking is very close to begin with they could easily grapple onto the Titan's necks and slice the nape there.
Spoiler for too long:

Quote:
And speaking of which, even when they were running from the Titans why didn't they grapple? They weren't even that far from the buildings or the damn wall. They could easily once they get the Titan's attention they could grapple and get to the buildings while still maintaining their attention. When Ian noticed Mitabi's squad running on the ground the guys could've easily grappled onto the buildings to their left.
I'm sure it wasn't that close

I'm sure I have a proper sense of distance here.

They are not supermen you know. And that's what they actually "tried", where you you think they ran after they got the titan's attention? In the middle of the flat land where Eren is supposed to go? Some of them tried to go to the town to keep the titans far from Eren, they just got killed before being able to do anything.

Last edited by desrtsku; 2013-06-30 at 15:45. Reason: corrected some errors, and still takes too much place
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 15:52   Link #82
askara

Finally a bad ass eps unlike the last three talk eps. and i thought the still shot is intentional well what ever the cause are i think it worked great

Quote:
She was creepy as hell in the manga, but I gave a benefit of a doubt that maybe it's just the way she naturally looks.
Then came the anime, still looking like a psycho-maniac.
lol i am pretty sure that to protray she is in shock and operating like a robot without emotion, i did bitch slap her if someone open their eye wide like that in normal time.
askara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 15:57   Link #83
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
It's still stupid. What I'd do is let the top 10, or 20, or 30 performers (both cadets and soldiers) get rotated to postings in the inner city for a few months. It would help with shell shock, it would provide an incentive for them to do well even once they're out of the academy, and it would ensure the best of the best get to the actual frontlines.
police = not normal police but king royal guard
(inner city = king city)
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 15:57   Link #84
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwrath View Post
If you people can complain so much about the animations, why don't you guys go do it then ?

I bet most of the ones who are commenting that this animation is shitty can't even come out with a simple 5 minute smooth animation.

Seriously, don't like it then stop watching it. We don't need your self-style righteous know it all comments as if you are the best animator in the world.

You don't have to be able to to criticize it. And here I thought I would only see comments like that on a mma forum. If somethings bad its bad no one is trying to be offensive to the studio here. Well maybe my earlier posts were I apologize for that.

I am thinking of the 2 choices stalling for at least a month would be the proper thing to do instead of a recap episode. Better yet splitting the anime from 2 seasons from the start would have been better. This episode would have been perfect for a cliff hanger. 3-4 months later start the next season. Actually I hope some one on the inside decides to end the season with the next two eps unless they get more staff the animations will get even worse than this once the pace pics up.

Last edited by BoyTitan; 2013-06-30 at 16:11.
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 16:18   Link #85
desrtsku
Hold this for me.

Quote:
I am thinking of the 2 choices stalling for at least a month would be the proper thing to do instead of a recap episode. Better yet splitting the anime from 2 seasons from the start would have been better. This episode would have been perfect for a cliff hanger. 3-4 months later start the next season. Actually I hope some one on the inside decides to end the season with the next two eps unless they get more staff the animations will get even worse than this once the pace pics up.
Yes, that's probably a very good point. But we don't know if their contracts with the production committee or the broadcasters allow them to do something like that.
Old 2013-06-30, 16:38   Link #86
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
(inner city = king city)
I want to add that its pretty clear not every elite is in the Military Police. Levi's a pretty big example of this as is Erwin and others in the Recon Corps. In fact I wouldn't be surprised that the RC is ironically enough the strongest of the 3 branches because of their constant battles with Titans which have hardened the men there.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 16:52   Link #87
darklegends8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
For the sake of reference, the purple bricks (and green steam) moment.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Animation has presented me with far more disturbing horrors over the years (giant Transformers cat will never be forgotten), but flaws in what's presented are still flaws.
Don't blame the animators for the titan stepping in some purple paint.
Old 2013-06-30, 17:20   Link #88
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
I'm sure it wasn't that close

I'm sure I have a proper sense of distance here.

They are not supermen you know. And that's what they actually "tried", where you you think they ran after they got the titan's attention? In the middle of the flat land where Eren is supposed to go? Some of them tried to go to the town to keep the titans far from Eren, they just got killed before being able to do anything.
Oh please spare me. You have a very weird definition of "far"

Tell me exactly what are those things to the left or even behind of Mitabi's squad? Those are buildings correct? We've seen the grappling hooks hit buildings/trees A LOT further away than where he is. Once the Titans took notice of them they could've easily just shot their grapples to the buildings to the left and then go up there but they didn't. They just stayed on the open ground. I admire their courage but they had options there which allowed them to use their grappling hooks and not just run blindly. I'm not dismissing whether or not they ran into town I'm pointing out that they were more or less within striking distance of the buildings.

Quote:
why skills have everything to do with it. If you notice Mikasa and Levi are the only ones who ever do that because their use of 3DMG surpasses others even among Elites. The use 3DMG is mainly meant and trained to hook on to stationary targets, i.e buildings, towers, trees etc, not moving targets like Titans. Fighting with the gear is dangerous enough as it is, but adding the factor of a moving target brings greater risk for missed timing, or balance slip ups. Not to mention you can misjudge a Titan's speed and get caught. It's not a guaranteed kill and its wiser not attempt it if don't have confidence to pull it off.
If it was that Deviant Titan that was running which Mikasa took out earlier I would understand and you'd have a point.

Except as our friend posted above and proved my point the Titans were simply just "walking" at a leisure pace towards Eren and the squad was more or less close enough to get their attention.

How is it that they can randomly hit the correct tree in a forest but they can't hit a giant 10-15m monster from close range? If the Titan was facing them sure I would understand because the Titan's attention is on them. From behind? Can it really be that hard to hit their backs with the grapples from that close range?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 17:54   Link #89
BoyTitan

Also another thing the scene that was filler had the most choppy animations and the flaws everyone pointed out flaws from that scene, on top of that totaling from this ep and last ep was 10-15 minutes worth of extra work so why the hell did the staff do it. If they never did that filler scene with Jean they would have a much easier time animating this episode. and had less actions scenes to animate since those are harder to make with the 3d gear and all the shots it take and stuff.
Old 2013-06-30, 18:07   Link #90
Parchevich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
(inner city = king city)
So? I fail to see how any of that invalidates what I wrote.

Quote:
Valraves animations are pretty good. The art style when compared to this is crap if you are talking character design. But animation wise the fight scenes have been very fluid. Excluding ovas best animated mech battles I seen in a while so no clue what your talking about bashing thier animations.

Ok so what went wrong with the animations can some one who knows more about anime production explain how it ended up like this ?
I guess my comment wasn't clear. I meant that despite any animation problems SnK is leagues better than Valgrave because of its story. Valgrave's plot is mediocre at best, and even if its animation was stellar (which it isn't), it still couldn't hold a candle to SnK.

Last edited by Parchevich; 2013-06-30 at 18:17.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 18:09   Link #91
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard

Quote:

If it was that Deviant Titan that was running which Mikasa took out earlier I would understand and you'd have a point.

Except as our friend posted above and proved my point the Titans were simply just "walking" at a leisure pace towards Eren and the squad was more or less close enough to get their attention.

How is it that they can randomly hit the correct tree in a forest but they can't hit a giant 10-15m monster from close range? If the Titan was facing them sure I would understand because the Titan's attention is on them. From behind? Can it really be that hard to hit their backs with the grapples from that close range?
It's not really about hitting that spot, but the balance, force and timing necessary to strike from there and hit the target fast enough. We have seen lot's of examples of Titans sudden snatching airborne soldiers even under perfect conditions due to their unpredictable reactions speeds which vary among them. You can't compare immobile objects like trees to that. Even Jean back in episode 12 had a similar chance, yet he didn't pursue an attack either. Jean tends to be pretty logical person and is 6th ranked out of the top 10 of his class skill wise. I'm quite sure if he can kill a Titan from ground like Mikasa and Levi he would certainly do it.

Yet it is Mikasa and Levi who have consistently shown to do the more esoteric and dangerous maneuvers that display the speed and complete control over one's body needed to attack that way. It's no mere coincidence that both they and others like them can do it, especially when they're often called gifted.

I would like you to remember those two are the only ones we have seen be able to kill Titans without back up (i.e a 4 man squad).

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-06-30 at 20:24.
Old 2013-06-30, 19:09   Link #92
takai
Easy Muffin

Probably the best episode of Titan thus far. Much better than the first episode.

In art and animation I have no complaints. This is the best we've seen it since the first episode.

Something...... Good happened? No way. I can't believe it. I think my eyes may be deceiving me.

The rock song during the boulder scene was a nice touch.

Overall, pretty good. I think it was a solid season finale. 8/10.

Next week is a skip week.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 20:16   Link #93
freeofgreed

Animation wise this episode was probably one of the worst I've seen in an anime EVER. I know the situation the animators are in but this was just bad.

Content wise this episode was fantastic. Jean's escape was a great example of how to do filler properly, and I'am actually surprised they showed Marco's dead body, it was probably the most explicit scene of gore we've seen in the anime so far.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 20:16   Link #94
Sasukeuzi

The only reason the recap episode would be good, is if we see the preview for the episode after that
Sasukeuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 20:30   Link #95
richardtengcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
Animation wise this episode was probably one of the worst I've seen in an anime EVER. I know the situation the animators are in but this was just bad.

Content wise this episode was fantastic. Jean's escape was a great example of how to do filler properly, and I'am actually surprised they showed Marco's dead body, it was probably the most explicit scene of gore we've seen in the anime so far.
Probably a good reason to get you to buy DVD/Blu Ray
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 21:35   Link #96
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasukeuzi View Post
The only reason the recap episode would be good, is if we see the preview for the episode after that
That's what most people do with recaps anyway.
Old 2013-06-30, 22:37   Link #97
JamJackEvo

Quote:
Oh please spare me. You have a very weird definition of "far"

Tell me exactly what are those things to the left or even behind of Mitabi's squad? Those are buildings correct? We've seen the grappling hooks hit buildings/trees A LOT further away than where he is. Once the Titans took notice of them they could've easily just shot their grapples to the buildings to the left and then go up there but they didn't. They just stayed on the open ground. I admire their courage but they had options there which allowed them to use their grappling hooks and not just run blindly. I'm not dismissing whether or not they ran into town I'm pointing out that they were more or less within striking distance of the buildings.

I can't speak for Mitabi's squad, since they're all dead, but I found little fault in their makeshift plan. The Titans are more attracted to Eren than normal humans, putting some credence to the theory that they have some remnant of intelligence because they see Titan Eren as a threat that would put a stop to their assault. What Mitabi's squad has merit because standing on the buildings far away won't be enough to distract the Titans away from Eren. They needed to get close. And they needed to stay close lest they lose the attention of the Titans and the Titans return to closing in on Eren.

And as for the problem of them not killing the Titans while their backs were to them... well, comparing the normal soldiers with the likes of Levi and Mikasa is like comparing pre-Holy Grail War Shirou to Dead Apostle Ancestors. Or normal people to a genius. Just because Mikasa showed that she can do it doesn't automatically mean everyone else can do it too! Skills play a part, yes, but there's also great confidence and steeled determination. And they probably don't have enough of both to risk doing that and end up botching it, thereby leaving Eren to deal with Titans coming at him while carrying the giant boulder.

Humanity is counting too much on this for their continued survival and the squads cannot, CANNOT, leave anything to chance and luck. If they really want humanity to win a battle in this long-standing war, then there has to be sacrifices. That's what they're probably thinking, because from the get-go, some of them probably believed in the deep recesses of their minds, that battling the Titans is futile, thus they can only sacrifice their lives for whatever greater good there would be.
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 00:22   Link #98
dark998

Definitely the best episode so far, now I know why there was such a build up to this, the end of the Trost arc. It was only a battle in this all-out war, but humanity won. They won for once instead of getting wiped out. And yes it was thanks to Eren's power but the titans have two powerful beings on their side too so all balances out.

And now onto...recap. Not a fan of them but this is the best series of the season so even that is allowed, I guess. Can't wait for that new OP in episode 14.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 00:25   Link #99
hyper_oats

My biggest complaint thus far from the series, the numerous cuts and edits they made to the original material. And it looks like they decided to remove one of my favorite parts this episode. Maybe they'll still put it in after the flashback episode but considering the timing was perfect right then and there, it'll probably never happen.

The lack of blood is also really disappointing. About the only thing they did justice to in the series so far is Marco's corpse. Everything else was censored heavily like Mina's body and it severely impacts the grim tone the manga has. You don't realize why people start panicking at titans until you see in graphic detail what happens to most soldiers that try and fight them.

By the way, here's a fun fact. If you go by the anime, the rock that Eren lifts is about 4500 metric tons. For comparison, modern tanks are usually about 60-70 tons. Suppose you scale a human to the size of a 15 meter class, they would be about 40 tons. That means Eren can carry and move at least 100 times his body weight over long distances.
hyper_oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 01:53   Link #100
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm just going to say I enjoyed the episode. Insane effort by Eren to get that boulder moved and put in place. It took a lot of sacrifices and deaths, but they held their ground. Kind of sad that it took all of this to hold their ground, but that's how it goes.

Not that surprising that Eren was thrown in jail temporarily. He is a really big wild card and his first action after transforming was trying to kill Mikasa.

The aftermath of course was horrifying. A lot of bodies to clean up and mourn. But even still, for once people have the ability to eventually return to their homes. Though if they want to find out the truth about what Eren's father knows they have to win much larger battles.