AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Monogatari Series Second Season - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 33 39.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 24.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 22.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 8.43%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-07-06, 16:26   Link #21
Elestia

It feels kind of refreshing to see the girls interacting more with each other in this first episode. We rarely got any of that in the past two seasons, where most of the dialogue was mainly between Araragi and "insert female character name here". Maybe it's because of the perspective shift to Hanekawa, but it does really help flesh out what kind of relationship the rest of the girls have with each other, which was sorely missing.
Old 2013-07-06, 16:28   Link #22
Arararagi-Senpai

It's baaaaaaaack

Anyways, great episode,none of the strongest first episodes I've seen in awhile. No refreshing, it just jumps straight in, which helped it in the end.

No Araragi was surprising, but I think it was for the better.Fleshing out the supporting cast is always appreciated, especially when we pretty much know everything there is to know about the main character.

Having the story told from Hanekwa's POV was cool. We know that (if you watched Neko Black), she's not the perfect person everybody makes her out to be, and seeing her acknowledge such really cements her character even more.

The white tiger was strange, not sure what to make of that, other than Hanekewa's cat thing never ceases to budge. On another note, Senjugahara has... Changed. This may be because we've never really seen her interact with other characters when not by Araragi's side, but otherwise she's still her (kinda...).

I think it's worth noting that Nise was... Eh. It started off strong (in it's own way) but then by the end it was sort of meh. This thankfully reminds me more of Bake for a few reasons.
Overall, I'm glad the show is back, the wait was worth it.
Arararagi-Senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 16:49   Link #23
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Well, after watching it, I don't think anyone who dropped the series with Bake will be picking it back up. There's less objectionable elements (though Nise didn't have those right off the bat) but not only do I doubt that Shinbo is actually directing this, but it's just a lot more bland visually than Bake was.
That, and Chiwa Saitou's performance was... different. Senjougahara's voice is a lot deeper than it used to be.
So all in all, I'm kind of disappointed, but perhaps that's because I'm already familiar with the story, so I have nothing else to focus on...
Old 2013-07-06, 16:59   Link #24
Sol Falling

Oh man, Senjougahara is godly, lol. This episode was so great. Also, dat intro, and dat meta. Even if you can tell to a degree that SHAFT is butchering the story with a compressed narrative, still SHAFT x Nishio make the most epic combination ever.

This episode marks Daisuki's debut as an actual player for the anime simulcast market...although for one thing their video player kind of sucks since I had to manually seek/click pause when I wanted to read the text-flashing moments, and I'd rather pay for a subscription than sit through advertisements, I'm basically rooting for them. Hope they can shape themselves up into an actual respectable, sustainable, high-quality streaming service.

This is such a great season.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:08   Link #25
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Even if you can tell to a degree that SHAFT is butchering the story with a compressed narrative
Spoiler for Comparison to the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-07 at 13:36.
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:21   Link #26
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-07 at 13:36.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:35   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's back!! That was really excellent.

As others have already said, getting the perspective of one of the girls is refreshing. It's even more interesting because it's Tsubasa, whom Araragi could never be objective about. Plus, we could never truly tell what she was thinking. We're finally discovering her real self. It's also very nice to finally see the girls interact with each other without Araragi around. All this time I was under the impression Hitagi was uncomfortable around Tsubasa (she seemed to "fear" her), but it turns out she has the upper hand in their exchanges as well. Nobody can stand up to her.

Fanservice was nice too. I hope we'll get to see that shower scene after they teased us so much.
Old 2013-07-06, 17:43   Link #28
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's back!! That was really excellent.

As others have already said, getting the perspective of one of the girls is refreshing. It's even more interesting because it's Tsubasa, whom Araragi could never be objective about. Plus, we could never truly tell what she was thinking. We're finally discovering her real self. It's also very nice to finally see the girls interact with each other without Araragi around. All this time I was under the impression Hitagi was uncomfortable around Tsubasa (she seemed to "fear" her), but it turns out she has the upper hand in their exchanges as well. Nobody can stand up to her.
What upper hand? How so? Hitagi just tries to figure out the competition... and as always is totally oblivious that she has won, acting still like the looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Fanservice was nice too. I hope we'll get to see that shower scene after they teased us so much.
I really would like to link tooo's take of that bath scene, but I really intend to survive the next mod's killing spree until the second season ends
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:56   Link #29
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I think it would be good if the perspectives changed to each of the girls later on. Damn shower at the end was a tease.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:58   Link #30
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
I was looking forward for some shower skinship between Hanekawa and Senjougahara...

I hope they did it on the next episode when Araragi comes!
Old 2013-07-06, 18:00   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

So refreshing! Real art, both visual and dramatic. The effect is greater than the sum of the parts, and sneaks up on you.

Everyone is a bit different -- Senjougahara, Hanekawa, and Mayoi -- but not like they are different people, more like we are seeing them from a different angle. Really nice. The ruined cram school images. Seeing Senjougahara's home again. All different because Araragi is not there, and we are seeing them through Hanekawa and Senjougahara.

And the ED sung by Haruna Luna was great, too. Written by Vocaloid composer Jin じん (Shizen no Teki-P 自然の敵P).

Tiger played by Saiga Mitsuki.

I've made a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of the main characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 18:21   Link #32
sky black swordman

Great first episode, next Saturday can't come quickly enough.

Damn, why did it have to end there, I want so bad to see Hanekawa and Senjougahara in the shower!!!
Old 2013-07-06, 18:26   Link #33
komaruze
Tanna Japonensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
But I will have to agree 100% that Tsubasa's perspective is very interesting, I disagree though that Koyomi's is boring.
Well, I didn't mean to say that Koyomi's POV was boring. I just didn't like how he - as Kanon already said - just couldn't look at Hanekawa objectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
[...] but not only do I doubt that Shinbo is actually directing this, but it's just a lot more bland visually than Bake was.
You think so? Visually, I didn't notice that much changes. We had kanji-text-flashcuts; eye closeups; shaft headtilts; minimalistic backgrounds; black, white, red and purple cuts, still shots etc.
But then again, its been a pretty long time since I watched an episode of Bake...
Old 2013-07-06, 18:52   Link #34
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I guess I can't speak for the contents of the chapters unless/until I decide to actually read them but I definitely got a laugh out of Hanekawa's "Oh my, did I just skip a chapter there?". There was also one which flashed by after just a single line from Senjougahara.

Back in season 1, I remember SHAFT used the red or black screen flashes to indicate when they were actually skipping over novel source material. In the same way, the numbered flashes denoted (I presume) skipped chapter boundaries here. This conscientious/faithful treatment of the source material, which directly acknowledges parts where the adaptation was skimped on, is something I really appreciate about SHAFT's style 'cause it lets me at least imagine what I'm missing, and show's a respect for/intertextuality with the original work.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-07 at 13:37.
Sol Falling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 18:55   Link #35
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by komaruze View Post
...Visually, I didn't notice that much changes. We had kanji-text-flashcuts; eye closeups; shaft headtilts; minimalistic backgrounds; black, white, red and purple cuts, still shots etc. But then again, its been a pretty long time since I watched an episode of Bake...
I watched a couple of eps of Bakemonogatari last week, and this didn't seem that different to me. But lots of people have a better eye than i do, and Kaisos Erranon may be one. I'll try to make time to watch this and another ep of Bake with more attention.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 19:33   Link #36
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Can someone explain to me why Hitagi was distraught enough to be in tears over Hanekawa this episode? I never got the impression that she cared that much for her and it seemed a little bit out of character honestly. This feels like it might've been glossed over too much compared to the novel (I am not a reader).

In any case, pretty good episode. If this is how the rest of the show will be, I have no cause for concern.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 19:46   Link #37
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Dunno about Hanekawa, but Hitagi sure does care for her. Maybe it's just a one-sided friendship.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2013-07-06 at 20:16.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 20:18   Link #38
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Okay, so I was thinking about the style of bra they were wearing at the end, and I think Tsubasa wins with the plain one over Hitagi; it's just something more alluring about it, and I don't think it's her breast size....(>.>)....

Now that that is off of my chest, I have to say, I was kinda taken aback by the whole Hitagi crying bit. It just seemed so out of character for her to do so, but given that most(if not all) interactions with Hitagi are with Koyomi, I can't say it IS out of character for her. Other than that, as everyone else has said already, I enjoyed this episode from a different character's point of view. I wouldn't mind if the rest of the series is from the perspective of the girls either; it'll be a refreshing take on things, esp with Kanbaru <3 =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 20:56   Link #39
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

It was okay. Animation was great.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Senjou's voice being strangely lower. I couldn't get into Bake, was on and off with Nise, liked Neko and now I'm watching this.

I don't remember Senjou being this caring over ANYONE not Aragai
Old 2013-07-06, 21:33   Link #40
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I have a phrase that might explain that:

"Keep your (boy)friends close, and your (fr)enemies closer."

Of course I don't know if that is the real deal since I stay away from the novels - so no spiteful comments!!!

Still, I managed to enjoy watching it. I guess I can enjoy it more since I do like Hanekawa a lot myself and seeing her dynamic with Gahara-san is entertaining to say the least. I must say, I was surprised by how much emotion Senjougahara displayed upon finding Hanekawa in the old cram school building. She has really come a long way from how she was before, even if a lot of her old personality has stayed the same.

Ascertaining her 'rival' for Araragi up close and personal... Heh heh. Although I am shocked by the extreme lack of sexy underwear Hanekawa displayed this week. Hnn, must be a cat thing I guess... (don't say ANYTHING, you novel readers... >.< )

Although, everyone's constantly comparing not only this one, but Nise and Neko to Bake. Bake this, Bake that... seriously, do people who constantly compare things to others ever enjoy the things that are right there in front of them as they are? I guess watching anime is like sex... the first tiime, you're hooked and you want to feel more of the same thing so you keep watching other shows, hoping for the 'wooow~' to hit you again.