AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Rozen Maiden

Notices

View Poll Results: Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 3 11.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 37.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 22.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 3.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-07-20, 08:42   Link #21
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Jun is much, much more sympathetic in this than I recall him ever being in the original anime.

While watching the original anime, I recall wondering why the heck Jun had made himself a total social outcast and refused to go to school (these being pretty extreme things to do, of course). I also recall the original anime taking ages to address this question in any concrete way, which definitely contributed to how inexplicable and annoying Jun seemed to me.

Well, in one brief flashback, this episode answered that old question very compellingly while adding a lot of depth to Jun's character. In two episodes, this show has done way more to make me like Jun and find him interesting than the entire original Rozen Maiden anime did.

In fact, now Jun doesn't seem like just some random guy to me that happened to have Rozen Maidens fall into his life. Given his love of sewing and dolls, it's clear he makes a fitting person to work with the Rozen Maidens.

I also completely agree with relentlessflame on how Shinku's resurrection was handled. Personally, I found that it was a great moment that deftly blended drama with comedy (the slaps ). After almost two full episodes of no Rozen Maidens and slow pacing, Shinku's successful return by Jun's hand was a pretty big and triumphant deal, imo. I think it's good it was treated as such. In my view, it's kind of like watching almost two full episodes of a Batman animated show before Bruce Wayne finally puts on the Batman costume and takes off in a cliffhanger moment. Of course its a big deal at that point!

On the whole, this was an excellent episode, my favorite so far. I get the complaints about the pacing (and share them to some degree), but I also get the impression that the people handing this show really know what they're doing and that the slow buildup is going to (continue to) payoff.

9/10 I'm definitely looking forward to more!
Old 2013-07-20, 15:18   Link #22
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
TBH that whole awakening scene made no sense from a dramatic standpoint. Here he is in the middle of nowhere, knowing someone is coming for him and suddenly everything goes just sparkly and chill at the end.
Because the "tension" here really wasn't between Jun and any external forces. Kirakishou's vine and threatening texts were really never the issue. It was really tension between Jun and himself. This is why he was finally able to find the "parts" so easily once he was in the right mental state; the mountain of parts was just psychological warfare and what he needed was always within his grasp. We've had two episodes of brooding, negative Jun who feels like something is missing out of his life. And what is missing is just that: life. And that's what Shinku's return represents: it's not just the dramatic return of the main heroine (though it is), but it's life and light finally returning to Jun's gloomy world. That's why you get an upbeat vocal song, the pure white light, and Shinku's deep passionate red. The tone of Jun's reality changed; it's a new beginning. Of course, it won't be so immediate once they return to the real world, but this is where it starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I get the complaints about the pacing (and share them to some degree), but I also get the impression that the people handing this show really know what they're doing and that the slow buildup is going to (continue to) payoff.
Yeah, I think this is something that makes sense particularly in retrospect. They needed the time to really set the tone of Jun's reality so that there's a bigger payoff as the change finally happens. And I think this episode is really where we're starting to see it all pay off, as you say.

It's interesting to note that the director for this series created the storyboard for the OP, ED, and all three episodes so far (and they also have the same writer on all the episodes too), so I do tend to think that they have a pretty good idea where they're going with all this. But yeah... it's a slow build for people who are perhaps used to more instant gratification.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-20 at 15:35.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 19:20   Link #23
Dr. Casey

The extra slow pacing is one of the most unique points that I think I'll remember this series for. It's somewhat unique not to have the primary hook of an anime introduced during the first episode (and pretty much absent from the second, too, for that matter, given how late Shinku is introduced); the standard formula of the first episode of an anime beginning, or ending, with the hero meeting the heroine/awakening to his special powers/whatever does feel a bit tired sometimes. Being stuck in a rather drab, dry, gray reality for a surprisingly long amount of time does make the little rays of sunshine that are the Rozen Maidens shine that much brighter, and makes the fantasy elements feel that much more special and well-earned.

And yeah, the manager is a dick. Typical douchebag that's unwilling to look beneath the surface to consider whether a person has a good heart or not. I might understand where the manager's coming from if Jun was an outright jerk or something, but he's not - he's just passive and withdrawn.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 22:06   Link #24
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Jun is much, much more sympathetic in this than I recall him ever being in the original anime.

While watching the original anime, I recall wondering why the heck Jun had made himself a total social outcast and refused to go to school (these being pretty extreme things to do, of course). I also recall the original anime taking ages to address this question in any concrete way, which definitely contributed to how inexplicable and annoying Jun seemed to me.

Well, in one brief flashback, this episode answered that old question very compellingly while adding a lot of depth to Jun's character. In two episodes, this show has done way more to make me like Jun and find him interesting than the entire original Rozen Maiden anime did.
I completely agree with this. We got some sorely overdue characterization. I wonder if that might be why I find myself really liking older Jun better than younger Jun. Of course, I'm all for the fact that younger Jun got to break out of his shell earlier... It might just be the age difference, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
You know, I wonder if Shinku will poke fun at this Jun more or less than the younger one. Should be interesting to see the different dynamics because of how different his character is.

If there's a romance sub-plot to this, I wholeheartedly approve.
I am very curious to see what his interaction with Shinku will be like and how it will differ from his younger parallel version's relationship. I do think there will be a different dynamic, or at least I hope. Shinku has a forceful personality, of course, but the differences in Jun could change things.

Now, another question I have is, is this a parallel Shinku, or the same one traveling into a different dimension?

I would also like a romance sub-plot with the Saitou character (the poor fellow deserves it ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
So after this episode, I'm officially calling the second episode the pilot, with the first episode being a bad, rushed recap. This season is the real deal. It's way different from the original series, where there is little fluff and goofing about (desu spam, Hina being annoying, cake and tea eating etc) and it's gone straight to business... but in a slow but surreal way. By Studio Deen no less. This and Uchouten Kazoku are heads and shoulders above the heavy 'slice of life' and 'yuri' series we have in abundance this summer.
Yeah, so far this has been amazing. It might have a slow pace like some of you are saying, but I really haven't even paid attention to the pacing, just been enjoying the experience. I did like the silly and lighthearted parts of the original Rozen Maiden series, but my favorite parts were always the serious ones (which typically were confined to the last few episodes for both of those seasons). This has really cut the fluff out so far and focused on the plot-heavy, serious elements I enjoy much more. Add in the parallel dimensions element and an older protagonist and I'm really diggin' it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 03:57   Link #25
Mubyoshi

I find the slow pace actually a good thing here. Btw, the teacher may have had only the best intentions, but man he is a prick.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 01:29   Link #26
Calca
Brina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubyoshi View Post
I find the slow pace actually a good thing here. Btw, the teacher may have had only the best intentions, but man he is a prick.
I think it's more the teacher forgot how cruel kids can be. Doesn't make him a prick.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 07:46   Link #27
Triple_R
Center Attraction

I think the teacher meant well, but he was very, very naive.

He probably thought he was doing Jun a favor, when he was unintentionally setting Jun up for serious abuse.
Old 2013-07-22, 07:51   Link #28
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
I think the teacher meant well, but he was very, very naive.

He probably thought he was doing Jun a favor, when he was unintentionally setting Jun up for serious abuse.
It's sad when you think about it too, because his outfit is spectacular. Even in middle school I feel like a lot of the people around me would have appreciated his work. I've always thought that regardless of what it is, at a certain level of quality you have to appreciate it even if it's not to your liking.

Perhaps that's just a naive thought in and of itself though.
Old 2013-07-22, 07:55   Link #29
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
And yeah, the manager is a dick. Typical douchebag that's unwilling to look beneath the surface to consider whether a person has a good heart or not. I might understand where the manager's coming from if Jun was an outright jerk or something, but he's not - he's just passive and withdrawn.
Speaking of the douche, I loved the scene where he mocks Jun's ringtone for being lame to Saitou and she just replies "Yeah, I use the same one!" with a smile.
Old 2013-07-22, 08:53   Link #30
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
It's sad when you think about it too, because his outfit is spectacular. Even in middle school I feel like a lot of the people around me would have appreciated his work. I've always thought that regardless of what it is, at a certain level of quality you have to appreciate it even if it's not to your liking.
I agree with you. In my Junior High in the 90s, somebody with Jun's talent would have gained mostly positive recognition and support, and probably would have been popular with female classmates. He might have faced a little bit of teasing from a couple male classmates, but nothing too serious. But this sort of thing can vary a lot from school-to-school of course - Some will be entirely supportive of it, which is good, while others will sadly result in what Jun ended up facing.

Perhaps the teacher isn't naive so much as he was oblivious. Oblivious to the teasing Jun was already facing for mere rumors that he was interested in making Princess/Doll dresses.
Old 2013-07-22, 09:21   Link #31
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
I agree with you. In my Junior High in the 90s, somebody with Jun's talent would have gained mostly positive recognition and support, and probably would have been popular with female classmates. He might have faced a little bit of teasing from a couple male classmates, but nothing too serious. But this sort of thing can vary a lot from school-to-school of course - Some will be entirely supportive of it, which is good, while others will sadly result in what Jun ended up facing.

Perhaps the teacher isn't naive so much as he was oblivious. Oblivious to the teasing Jun was already facing for mere rumors that he was interested in making Princess/Doll dresses.
One question that immediately popped into mind is the Japanese mindset.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't an understanding of household skills like sewing and cooking an expectation? A man is expected to be able to keep his own outfits neat just as much as any woman is, no? Even in the military that's an expectation. Hell, they make you buy a sewing kit in the Air Force. Yet in a society where I would expect males sewing to be completely commonplace for basic tasks, Jun is made fun of for putting it to simple practice. Even before the dress, they make fun of him for sewing basic stuff.

Am I missing something here, or possibly I'm mistaken about the culture?
Old 2013-07-22, 16:25   Link #32
TJR

Quote:
One question that immediately popped into mind is the Japanese mindset.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't an understanding of household skills like sewing and cooking an expectation? A man is expected to be able to keep his own outfits neat just as much as any woman is, no? Even in the military that's an expectation. Hell, they make you buy a sewing kit in the Air Force. Yet in a society where I would expect males sewing to be completely commonplace for basic tasks, Jun is made fun of for putting it to simple practice. Even before the dress, they make fun of him for sewing basic stuff.

Am I missing something here, or possibly I'm mistaken about the culture?
This is a generalization, but work/life balance remains a significant challenge in Japan. Consequently, traditional attitudes regarding household roles die hard. Men learning to cook is beginning to pick up, but from what I understand, it's more of an activity for retirees than a salaryman.

As an example, a friend of mine recently married in Japan, and his wife does all the cooking and cleaning.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 18:11   Link #33
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Regardless I think a smart thing for the teacher would have been to ask Jun about things instead of broadcasting it in front of the entire school at an assembly. That's probably the most insane and stupid part of it. Of course the teacher had no idea how badly this would turn out, didn't even think it'd be a good idea to talk to the student beforehand.
Old 2013-07-23, 08:08   Link #34
oompa loompa

Quote:

In school we had a guy who used to like designing dresses. Poor kid got the snot kicked out of him regularly. I think, as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, Juns hobby be particularly appreciated in most places.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 11:15   Link #35
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Best episode so far.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 16:48   Link #36
Guido

Third Tale

The episode confirmed my suspicions about Kirakishou preventing older Jun from receiving the further publications to finish the vessel for Shinku.

I don't have doubts in my mind that what Kirakishou did to Hina-Ichigo in the first episode is related to the current state in which both Jun and the other dolls are right now in the rewind-world.
Spoiler:

However, at this point her motives for doing so remain unclear, so until I can catch up with all of you guys, please do not spoil me.

P.S. No matter if it's death or the other world. Rudeness and foolishness cannot be cured on Jun. Either he fondles or manhandles a lady, hence, he must prepare for the consequences.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote