AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-02, 00:28   Link #21
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I watch Madoka for QB

I watch Air because I want to see more Potato
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 05:50   Link #22
Masuzu
ę ヒーロー Ľ
*Author

I thought I had a lot to say when I read the thread title, but after reading the thread I can only remember one off the top of my head.

Masuzu from Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru got the 'special' card from me because she managed to stand out from a cast that I liked overall.

It's one thing to stand out when everyone around you is terrible, it's another to stand out when everyone around you isn't.
Old 2013-08-02, 07:09   Link #23
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

i had a dislike for Yuki from Mirai Nikki, the MC of guilty crown, Lucy from Fairy Tail and Tsukune from Rosario Vampire, but I still watch them

from the above post i really agree on Masuzu
Old 2013-08-02, 07:33   Link #24
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Fate Testarossa. I'm 120% sure I would have suffered through the first season if not for her. That's not to say Nanoha wasn't a good character in her own right, it's just that Fate gave the series its much needed flare. It helps that she's the personification of all things I find attractive in a character. Also, I'm fairly certain the third season (StrikerS) would have been unwatchable without Fate. Where the first season would have still had Nanoha (the character) StrikerS brought a couple dozen new characters, and not a single one of them was likable.
Old 2013-08-02, 14:12   Link #25
Haak
Forever Alone...

These aren't exactly show savers since the anime still ranged from okayish to good without them, but these characters were definitely show-makers:
Saten Ruiko - Railgun first season
Ohana - Hanasaku Iroha
Sena - Haganai
(Well what did you expect?)

Kanata and Minami from AKB0048 are definitely show-savers in my eyes though. The show is mostly garbage whenever it didn't focus on them. A less extreme example is Tomoya from the Clannad series. He's a great character but he was definitely the only interesting one of the lot. It wasn't enough to save the show but I was motsly into KoiChoco for two reasons: the school politics and Satsuki. Predictably both of them got shafted in the end. Also props to Athrun from Gundam SEED for being by far the most compelling character in Destiny. It didn't take much.

As for show-ruiners, the very first that pops to mind is Hajime from currently airing Gatchaman Crowds for being an insufferable do-no-wrong genki girl that the show just freaking loves. If it weren't for it's focus on GALAX that I'm genuinely intrigued by, then I probably would've dropped it already.

Honorable mention goes to Komari from Little Busters for being the focus of the most infantile drama and having the most ear-bleeding voice of all time. The show turned out to be passably decent after that but my investment in the show was hanging by a thread during that arc.

There was absolutely no risk of me dropping Shinsekai no Yori but I'm pretty sure i wasn't the only one who loved the moment when...
Spoiler for Shinsekai no Yori:

SimilarlyI was always enjoying True Tears, but it would've been a lot better if Shin'ichiro weren't dicking around so much towards the end.

And it's not like the show was particularly good to begin with but boy was Ichika from Infinite Stratos one piece of work. You would not believe this son of a bitch. He pretty much represents the very worst of harem leads and I don't think I have ever felt such unintended visceral hatred for a character in all my life.

And ironically, Haruhi Suzumiya nearly made me drop The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya during the first few episodes.

Man, that was cathartic...
Old 2013-08-02, 17:39   Link #26
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kanae Ito, eh? Well, she definitely does some nice work and it was amusing to have Sena sound like Ohana.

And yea, Komari-- nobody likes Komari. (lol Key forced stuffs)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 18:58   Link #27
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Haruka's story arc was Little Busters!' highlight. Key should just stick to *SPOILERS* type of drama. They're clearly better at it; enough that not even J.C. Staff could mess that up.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 20:00   Link #28
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Shu from Guilty Crown (by extension any character voiced by Yuki Kaaiji)
I assume you dislike Eren from Shingeki no Kyojin as well then?
Old 2013-08-02, 20:54   Link #29
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I assume you dislike Eren from Shingeki no Kyojin as well then?
Yes. He just traded one extreme for another - whiny ass brat to over the top hotblooded shonen male lead. Seriously that voice actor has the restrain and sublety of a hammer being dropped on the ground. His only decent performance was in shin sekai yori as adult... Whatevs his name was but watchers know what I'm talking about. And that's mostly he didn't fuck it up rather than being spectacular.

I am following titan but definitely not for him.
Old 2013-08-02, 22:04   Link #30
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

The two biggest "show savers" I can think of are Kuroneko from OreImo and Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos.

Quote:
Ayase from Guilty Crown
Ayase would probably rank with those last two to form a KanaHana trio if not for the fact that she wasn't as important a character and hence wasn't as successful salvaging her show.

Quote:
Miu from Mashiro-iro
Wait, you picked Miu and not Pannya? And Mashiro-iro Symphony is actually one of the more solid moe harem romance-comedies.

Quote:
Kotori from Da Capo (I still have no idea to this very day how I watched four seasons + OVA of this trash)
This combined with the fact that you apparently watched KoiChoco and Myself;Yourself despite claiming to only like sophisticated and superior VN adaptations suggests you are M for such shows. Maybe you'd be M for the original VNs too.

Quote:
Kotomi from Clannad
You hate Kotomi from Clannad? Well, I suppose there are worse people in the world. Like people who puree kittens for their morning kitten juice because that's the only way they can get it fresh and pulpy enough for their taste.

Quote:
Shu from Guilty Crown
Oh God... I usually feel like yawning when people complain about male leads in anime, but Shu is more or less "the exception".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 22:20   Link #31
Megacrash Gr
Van!shment Th!s World!!

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Ohana Matsumae from Hanasaku Iroha, She's quite interesting
Saya Kisaragi from Blood C, A sweet and ditzy girl with a sexy bad ass side.
Yukino Yukinoshita - My teenage ROMCOM Snafu, I like her mysterious aura.
And currently Natsuno Kirihime from Dog x Scissors, she's crazy fun to watch
Old 2013-08-02, 22:53   Link #32
Echoes

Quote:
Aoi from Myself;Yourself (probably the only character that has a more annoying voice than Kuruko)
Ah yes, I remember her. I have a high tolerance for those kinds of voices (I don't really mind Kuroko, for instance), but hers really pushed it over the edge. As the series went on, I did get used to it, and even started enjoying it on a weird level. I'm not sure if it was Stockholm Syndrome, ironic enjoyment, or outright masochism.

Quote:
Shu was pretty unbearable. But I thought a lot of the characters in Guilty Crown were. Inori was such a blank slate. There was absolutely nothing to latch onto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The two biggest "show savers" I can think of are Kuroneko from OreImo and Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos.
Can't argue with those. Charlotte in particular stands out to me, because the contrast between her splendid character and the outright mediocrity of the show was so apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacrash Gr View Post
Yukino Yukinoshita - My teenage ROMCOM Snafu, I like her mysterious aura.
I'm not disagreeing with you, Yukinoshita is fantastic, but I really thought that the show's biggest strength was the chemistry (and sometimes lack thereof) between the trio of leads in that series. Was Yukinoshita the only one who connected with you?

I'll toss out a few of my own as well.

Minatsuki from Deadman Wonderland.

I didn't dislike the rest of the cast, and I didn't think it was that bad of a show. Hell, I own the boxset. But for me, it was definitely Minatsuki time, all the time. The plot could go sit in the corner for all I care, as long as that magnificent psychopath got her time in the limelight.

Kanu Unchou from Ikkitousen

I don't really need to explain this one, do I? One of the most gorgeous character designs ever. She also kicks all kinds of ass. By leaps and bounds the best thing about that series.
Old 2013-08-02, 23:31   Link #33
Megacrash Gr
Van!shment Th!s World!!

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, Yukinoshita is fantastic, but I really thought that the show's biggest strength was the chemistry (and sometimes lack thereof) between the trio of leads in that series. Was Yukinoshita the only one who connected with you?
Yes I do like when Yukino, Yui, and Hikigaya do their stuff together, but I think Yukino was the person that can be blunt and show people their true colors waking them up in reality. That's what I like about her. Yui is the one that wants everything to be perfect and alright for her friends, which I find to be alright. I have mixed feeling for Higikaya, because sometimes his decisions can lead to destruction of other people and to himself (even though that's what he is but still ).

So basically in that show, I liked how Yukino, tries to help out people and show people their flaws, and start willing to rely on her friends and not be selfish. but I want to learn more about her

Hikigaya can also unmask other people's personality but sometimes I can not agree with his beliefs, what I can say is I didn't liked Hikigaya until the last two episodes of Snafu.

Not saying I'm just going to like Yukino forever, but I'll definitely looking forward how both Yukino and Hikigaya will change

Last edited by Megacrash Gr; 2013-08-02 at 23:45.
Megacrash Gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 08:13   Link #34
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Wait, you picked Miu and not Pannya? And Mashiro-iro Symphony is actually one of the more solid moe harem romance-comedies.
Quote:
This combined with the fact that you apparently watched KoiChoco and Myself;Yourself despite claiming to only like sophisticated and superior VN adaptations suggests you are M for such shows. Maybe you'd be M for the original VNs too.
Are people going to quote that Inu x Boku video till the day I die?

Anyways, I have an very simple and narrow approach when it comes to VN adaptations. Within the first ep or two, I choose the girl I wanna fuck fag over and if there is enough screen time of her, then the VN adaptation is a success in my eyes! Bonus points if she wins the ship. If there is not enough screen time, then the VN adaptation is a failure. If there is no worthy girl that is faggable, then I wouldn't waste my bloody time in the first place.

As for "sophisticated" and "superior" VN adaptations, I can only think one on top of my head that falls in the top tier in terms of quality. That would be ef, and only the first season. Yuuko fagging carried the second, but it carried well considering she's my favorite character of the franchise. I don't consider True Tears a VN adaptation at all considering the only similarity is in its name only with a completely different cast of characters and plot.

Hopelessly waiting on a Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shojo and G-Senjou no Maou adaptation though the chance of that happening is less than Kyoani making another FMP anime. Alternatively a Narcissu (1st or 2nd, don't care) or True Remembrance anime but the chance of that happening is even lower - it's about the same as PA Works saying no to Mari Okada's shit and not letting her write another anime original for them.

Quote:
You hate Kotomi from Clannad? Well, I suppose there are worse people in the world. Like people who puree kittens for their morning kitten juice because that's the only way they can get it fresh and pulpy enough for their taste.
I have no idea what you are talking about

Quote:
Oh God... I usually feel like yawning when people complain about male leads in anime, but Shu is more or less "the exception".
Spoiler for Lol Shu:
Old 2013-08-03, 09:57   Link #35
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Well, he can sound good. Johnny Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Batte, for example (game is not out yet, but trailers show that he has done quite good job on the character. Doesn't change the fact that he is still probably the weakest among the other main chacters (aka JoJo), though )

As for the topic..
Well, Suisei no Gargantia was more or less good, but I liked it because of one simple reason: Chamber. "Response to final warning: Go to hell, tin can!"

In Blood+ the one who saved the show for me was David.

I loved Fate/Zero, but it became one of my favorite animes mainly because of Iskander.
AntonKutovoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 14:00   Link #36
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

When I was still really into Bleach, I read it mainly for Ishida and Isshin. Nowadays it's mainly Urahara.

K: Watched it and will continue to watch for Black Dog. I like Shiro and Neko too, but Kuroh's the best. F**k HOMRA.

Brother's Conflict:Will probably watch just for Subaru and Natsume.

Haruhi:Kyon is what totally makes this show, along with Nagato.

Servant X Service:Now I have to see what Hasebe does.
Old 2013-08-03, 15:43   Link #37
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I don't see these characters as show savers.
More like requirements.

If I can't find such a character to connect with, I will drop the show sooner or later, even if I generally think it's a good show.
Because I just don't care much about it.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 23:07   Link #38
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Haruhi:Kyon is what totally makes this show, along with Nagato.

Servant X Service:Now I have to see what Hasebe does.
I definitely agree with Kyon. Though, I think that was actually the point of his character. He's the glue that holds it all together and places the viewer's reactions into the plot. "What the hell is going on..?"

Dat Hasebe. I need not say more.

Hidan no Aria kind of fits this, but in a very surprising way. I actually found that the Aria character kept the show very watchable for me simply because it was a KugiRie role that wasn't shoving tsundere down my throat. I think of it as a very average series, but I do think that seeing that toned down typecast was a bit refreshing.

Which leads to why I don't like Toradora! very much. That segue should make it obvious. I don't like Taiga. Looking back, all of the things I disliked about that series more or less revolve around her. Nice to have a bit of KugiRie talk as I'm trying to get through Shakugan.

Macross Frontier. Ranka Lee is one of the first characters I think of when I think of characters I hate. At first I liked her character, but she rapidly became a symbol of hate for me to hang over Frontier. To me, finishing Frontier was about how much pain and anguish I could stomach seeing Ranka Lee get increasingly more spotlight, and thus having to stomach her terrible character and her horrible existence. Not to mention, what a sore loser.

Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta. If you know anything about me from Asuki, it's that I'm a huge mecha fan, hopefully. Gundam has always been my first and foremost love, and the original series is still great in my eyes to this day. Zeta, being its continuation, should have been more of the same. AND THEN KAMILLE BIDAN HAPPENED. Sparing details, his character brought out the worst in Zeta in my eyes and I have yet to finish that series, or even try ZZ.

A very off-topic mention: Rukia from Bleach. Her character's action debut well over half way into the series was a real treat. I would have happily watched Bleach through to see her character more. Oh well...

Additionally, although I can't say she saved the series, Hinata from Naruto certainly made it very difficult to stop watching. Her character got so much interesting stuff thrown into it that her appearance was like gold.
Old 2013-08-04, 03:02   Link #39
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Charlotte Dunois, what the hell such a good character have been doing in that pile of mediocrity that is Infinite Stratos is mindboggling.

Chikaru Minamoto and Tamao Suzume, without them, I would have never gone through Strawberry Panic. And I would have forgotten that series by now. Still, Tamao ;__;

Chamber, don't get me wrong, Gargantia is a good series, but it would not be as memorable without ChamBRO.

Riko Mine, without her, I would have forgotten Hidan no Aria already.

Shiho Matsuri, she made sola, one can argue that it's just her zettai ryouiki, I'd answer that it is not just that. There is also Mamiko Noto and Matsuri's playful personality.

Cthugha, in my opinion, the Nyaruko series fizzled out fast by going the rapid fire referencial comedy route, not to mention its failure to play on the strenghts of the Lovecraft Mythos (yes, I would have loved to see more Lovecraft and less Kamen Rider). Kuuko's deadpan personality coupled with her raging and flaming lesbianism made me stick around.

Last edited by Sheba; 2013-08-04 at 03:26.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 05:24   Link #40
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta. If you know anything about me from Asuki, it's that I'm a huge mecha fan, hopefully. Gundam has always been my first and foremost love, and the original series is still great in my eyes to this day. Zeta, being its continuation, should have been more of the same. AND THEN KAMILLE BIDAN HAPPENED. Sparing details, his character brought out the worst in Zeta in my eyes and I have yet to finish that series, or even try ZZ.
Itís a pity that you havenít finish Zeta (because of Camille?). I donít know (or forget) whether youíve watched or finished SEED Destiny or not, but if you can stomach Shinn Asuka character in Destiny, watching Camille should be like picnic since he got a lot better chara-development and grew to be a better person compared to his knockoff (Shinn) in Destiny.