AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-04, 05:59   Link #41
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
Am I the only guy here who likes Kuroko and Kirino? :P

I never dropped a show because of just one character...if I ever drop a show (rarely), it's because the show sucks...and no amount of characters will change that.

If there's a character I really like in a show...it will make me like the show better, I guess, but it doesn't have that much of an impact, unless it's a character I can REALLY relate to (1, this is very rare; out of over 200 anime I have watched, there's about 4 or 5 characters I can say that for (and only one of them is obvious if you know me really well), and 2, this usually happens in shows that I like a LOT already.)

Generally I don't really connect with a lot of characters much to affect my enjoyment of a show (weird, I know,) and there's shows I really love without anyone I really care for (GITS, for example) and shows I instadropped with characters I really love (Hidan No Aria). Besides, if I wanted more of a character I liked from a stupid show, I can always dig the online doujin pile (with or without the yuri goggles).

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos

Last edited by speedyexpress48; 2013-08-04 at 06:15.
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:01   Link #42
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!

When it comes to InuYasha I could not stand Kikyo. She solely exists for the purpose of a love triangle that results in annoying discussion and some of her actions don't make sense. She gives the villain power which he later uses to nearly kill her.

When I watched Yugioh as a kid Kaiba's whole "Stop having fun guys. Card games are real business." was annoying and made the show look dumber. I felt like yelling "Grow up! Your little brother is more mature than you."

Also, I could not stand Ryoma from Prince of Tennis. I mean all the things he said like... No, he didn't say anything.

On the other hand, I believe Death Note's true star is L due to his unusual personality and appearance.
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 14:19   Link #43
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
It's very difficult for me to list at least one character in my A-list because in the first place, I have no specification for it. As long their series is entertaining enough in my assessment, everyone is an a-OK.

However I do have some pet peeves some characters from a given series, and most of them might be pretty popular (which is to say popularity is not a saving factor); might have stepped on a few, and for that reason these characters get into my snipe list.

But then again things go like this: The more likeable characters in my books have a lot more of staying power in my mind, while those that I don't really like or are forgettable are, well, forgettable.

I'd refrain from listing any, be it in my favorites list or not, because there'd be questions of "Why is this one character OK for you while the other is not? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?" ... If I really have to judge characters based on that, then I'd not be able to even consider watching specific series, can I?

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 15:28   Link #44
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
School Days? Obviously Setsuna.

As for Mirai Nikki, Yuno being cheered is only natural. Everyone else in the show is annoying/terrible/crazy/evil, so they were almost designed to be off'd. I don't know. I wouldn't know because I tossed it midway through.

I also liked Lan from Lagrange, which made me at least finish the first season. Nothing against her Madoka, but Lan was the only one that was entertaining to me.
I'm not going to start another extended School Days argument, but Setsuna was definitely the sanest of the bunch, but even she tried to stop Makoto from cheating on Sekai BY doing just that. Still, she's awesome in my book because I had a dream I was fighting zombies alongside her, both of us armed with AA-12 auto shotguns!

IDK, as per Mirai Nikki, I was partial to Minene myself, had a much better goal than Yuno's selfish ends, not that I'd want trust any of them, or ANYONE for that matter with godlike levels of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think I've figured out your taste in anime girls. Short, dark, stoic, and loli. You really should be watching Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA☆ILLYA, you know.
Setsuna is too old to qualify as a loli IMO, as are some other characters I know to be favorites of Archon (and myself), Akemi Homura being an example. That said, you got the dark and stoic part correct.

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2013-08-04 at 15:44.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 15:40   Link #45
chaos999

Nice list Pocari and I agree with some of those as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Hare and Ayase from Guilty Crown (this series seriously lacks doujins
Isn't Hare like Nanami from Sakurasou and Kazumi from Shakgun no Shana in terms of character ?

Quote:
Tamako from Tamako Market (omg I actually like a Kyoani moeblob, what is this?)
I liked her too but I feel like all Kyoto Animation moeblob female characters are the same .

Quote:
Aiko from True Tears
I kind of agree that her involvement was a bit weird in this anime and a lot of people seem to think that way too.The problem was that people got the impression that she was more like the traditional type because she she was shown as one of the 3 heroines even though it was pretty obvious that okada didn't want to include in the triangle (she said that it in the interview) .

And why does everyone hate shu from guilty crown?
He was a very deep character to me even though the anime wasn't that good
chaos999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 17:22   Link #46
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Interesting. I honestly preferred Sekai, and I'm pretty sure I liked School Days more than most anime fans do. That being said, Kotonoha is probably the most sympathetic character in the cast.
Based on people I know that watched School Days. They certainly do turn sympathetic towards Kotonoha, and grow very spiteful towards Sekai. I've even made comments a few years ago, don't know how I feel about the cast in SD now. Then you have Setsuna who grabs a lot of people's attention.

Quote:
A good yandere is creepy, but very entertaining, imo. So Yuno being the textbook yandere makes her the most entertaining major character in Mirai Nikki, imo.
Gasai Yuno practically made Mirai Nikki for so many people. Since having that one yandere character make all the moves in the show and messing with things. It certainly peaked people's interest to keep watching just for her alone.

Quote:
I think I've figured out your taste in anime girls. Short, dark, stoic, and loli. You really should be watching Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA☆ILLYA, you know.
I know one character that makes that anime incredibly interesting. It's the all trolling wand named as Ruby.

Quote:
List of "I only watched this show because of" Characters:

Matsuri from Sola
Senjougahara from Monogatari
Miu from Mashiro-iro
Kuroyukihime from Accel World

List of characters that needs to GTFO:

Kazumi from Shakgun no Shana
Mikuru from Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Every male character from Hanasaku Iroha

:3
Comrade!!!! *waves flag* Although for Mashiro-Iro I kind of liked the entire cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Chamber, don't get me wrong, Gargantia is a good series, but it would not be as memorable without ChamBRO.
Yeah, the characters in Gargantia are great. But Chamber just had to steal the spotlight and made the entire series incredibly memorable to me.

I will admit, there are characters that bring me more into the series then normal. Then there are characters that just make me turn the volume down to 0% whenever said moments appear (Only during those incredibly cliche moments). But officially dropping a series by one character alone didn't fit me at all. Even if they highlight said character more, it only depends if the rest of the series doesn't keep my interest enough for me to bear it.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 11:08   Link #47
DemonOfWrath

Hmm this is interesting, although thinking about it a lot of characters that make a show for me tend to be ones who are absolutely critical to the whole thing working (aka Kyon, Keima Katsuragi, or Watashi from Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita) so I'll leave them out.

Things I've watched/read mainly due to a single character:
Ohana from Hanasaku, enough people have explained the same reasons as mine in this thread already.
Eru from Hyouka, this isn't so much as the rest of the cast was weak more so much as she just had this oomph and energy that carried it the whole way. She was definitely why I stuck with it instead of dropping it after an episode or two.
Masuzu in Ore no Kanojo to why-is-this-so-long, not enough to keep me following it honestly as the rest of the cast was generic harem crap, but she's definitely a good (and somewhat unique) character and if it was a regular romance story involving her I'd definitely be following it.
Medaka Box, Kumagawa and Ajimu Najimi, enough said really.

Things with a character who just ruins it:
Taiga from Toradora, I just found her more and more irritating as the show went on, she started out as the least interesting character for me and then completely dominated it later and got really whinge-y.
The two main characters from Usotsuki Paradox. Well, I wouldn't say ruin, but it's a unique situation where I just want both of the main characters of the story to end up miserable.
Koe de Oshigoto, for the older sister who's horrible and has no qualms intentionally screwing around with her sisters emotions to get a good performance out of her, she made me drop it entirely.

Special mention: Tonari wa Kashiwagi-san because it goes in both lists. The main two characters are both awful while simultaneously the two side characters are amazing, which leads to a weird situation where I can't stand reading it, because the main pairing (being a romance manga) is utter trash, but at the same time the secondary couple is so good that I want to keep going just for them.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 17:20   Link #48
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonOfWrath View Post
Eru from Hyouka, this isn't so much as the rest of the cast was weak more so much as she just had this oomph and energy that carried it the whole way. She was definitely why I stuck with it instead of dropping it after an episode or two.
Its quite the opposite for me, It think she's the weakest character among the four, the other three carried the show for me..
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 21:08   Link #49
Yuutsu

Archer: he's everything that Shirou should have been, but wasn't.

Horo: cute, smart, and powerful. She has my <3.
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 15:15   Link #50
Bri

The bright ones, that made shows more enjoyable:

Sayaka Miki, great tragic character that kept me interested in PMMM. She was the catalyst that helped evolve the cast beyond stock characters.

Rintaro Okabe: He turned Stein's Gate in to a one man show for me.

Haru Nishimura from Xam'd: Insightful loyal character that kept me interested through the more boring parts of Xam'd.

Characters that (almost) ruined a show for me:

Yui from Angel Beats. Disliked her at first sight and it went down hill from there. Instead of awww cute more like ewww yuk, the inverse feeling of moe. Didn't help she replaced my favorite character on the show later on.

Lacus Clyne from Gundam Seed: aka Mary Sue.

Alto Saotome from Macross Frontier. An obnoxious, self absorbed character constantly drew the attention away from the plot with his personal issues.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 11:05   Link #51
AbridgedTroll

I really hates Kousaka Kirino in Oreimo,why? because she's way too annoying for me,sometimes when I re-watch it,I just want to say STFU because of her disrespect for her bigger brother (sorry if I offend you Kirino fans)

Second on my list is Fan Fam Fan from Last Exile Silver Wing,seriously,I feels like all the works were done by Millia rather than Fam,to be honest though,Fam annoyance ruined the series.

And for the characters that makes the show good:
Muttsurini from Baka to Test,his nosebleed is hilarious to watch and his pervy addicts of taking secret cam

Lelouch from Code Geass,this guy is a badass for me
AbridgedTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 15:59   Link #52
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Easily for me that character has to be Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos.

I was just getting tired of that series and ready to let it go die somewhere before Charlotte showed up and single-handedly saved that series for me. Pretty much only kept watching the series to see her character. Made the series endurable by just being a bright enough character that I could ignore the mediocrity around her.
Old 2013-08-16, 03:20   Link #53
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Hate: Charlotte Dunois. She is truly perfect, and that is good. But I couldn't say that with her love to Ichika. Nope, that is just pure stupid! She is not looking for a lover, but a surrogate father/friend. And her character development SUCK! At least Houki or Tatenashi got better!
(This is more of an Author hate)
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 05:15   Link #54
Traece
:cool:

I've sort of taken a little break from Shakugan no Shana since I went camping. I'm letting myself get a bit behind on anime outside my top priority.

One thing that has been really bothering me about Shana, however, is that as I started to push into the climax of the second season I found myself increasingly irritated with Yoshida. For similar reasons I hated Ranka Lee in Macross Frontier as well. She hasn't quite ruined the series for me, but she's not helping me try to finish it either. The main problem is that she's such a typical third wheel. I do not like third wheels in combat, or romance. What makes it worse is that she knows herself that she's a third wheel, and yet she continues to try to be victorious and love and to be useful in battle.

Look, I get it. Third wheel characters want to be the lover, and they want to be helpful. But when they know that they can't win and they waste their time hoping for some kind of strange miracle (which could only come in the form of the rival girl/boy suddenly becoming very DEAD) it becomes less devotion and more something unhealthy. Typically this character becomes a tool for reviving the character they love at the cost of their life. Sometimes they just straight-up get murderized in the heat of battle because they couldn't listen (which I approve of quite highly). You know what I rarely see, if I've even see it at all? The third wheel admitting that he/she doesn't belong and that they've lost in love, and distancing themselves like they've been told and living a happy life with someone else (let's be honest here, you can find a nice guy who doesn't kill things for a living or whatever).

Try that bit of plot for a change and I'll happily make an entry about said character being my "one special character" in a positive sense.

Edit: I agree with the Taiga mentions as well. Another thing that I've said elsewhere is that I don't like brainless characters who have no awareness of their surroundings or really tact of any kind. Taiga pretty much exemplifies this in her rash actions and retributions. Frankly, I don't like such hardcore tsunderes like her for that reason. I couldn't imagine any guy being attracted to physical and mental pummeling on a daily basis, almost entirely as a result of that character have almost no reasoning skills whatsoever. I suppose the best way to put it is, Taiga wasn't a tsundere at all, just tsun. Tsun all up and down that series. That's more or less what ruined Toradora! for me.
Old 2013-08-17, 20:54   Link #55
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I can see how you feel about Yoshida. I also felt a burning hatred for her because she felt so pointless and got little development until the last season.

However, I actually went easier on her after I realized it wasn't her fault, but because Shana is a terrible romance. If you get around the romantic aspect, you'll do fine, though I recommend completely ignoring the trashy 2nd season. It'll look better that way.

As for Toradora, I can't say much because I never got into it; as everyone except the main guy seemed to be a turnoff. Taiga's character seemed to reek of entitlement though; I hope that changed.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 17:06   Link #56
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Well, this is awkward. I started watching Railgun's English dub and Kuroko is no longer insufferable anymore. Sounding like a teenager instead of an old woman makes her perverted antics more believable.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 17:15   Link #57
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Kuroko's Japanese voice sounds a bit weird for a girl her age, and it probably contributed to how I initially felt about her, but it certainly wasn't the only reason I found her behavior in the first few episodes of the original Railgun pretty annoying. It was just very excessive, period.

But from watching Railgun S, and even going back to the original Railgun starting from Episode 4, I think this aspect of Kuroko's character was greatly amplified in the first three episodes of the original Railgun. Once it becomes just a running joke given a minute or two per episode, it became much more bearable, and even occasionally funny. It also helps that Kuroko's character gets much more developed once we see her more serious side.

But those first two or three episodes of the original Railgun, man, it was like the show was primarily about Mikoto trying to avoid Kuroko's severe sexual harassment.
Old 2013-09-01, 17:32   Link #58
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Camille hah? A lot better than Shinn. After all, we are talking about Tomino!

And my favorite character: Char Aznable. Not sure why listed him here, since the cast of Gundam UC is pretty much very good. Oh, also included Homura from Puella, plus Light Yagami.

Hated character: Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos), Shinji Ikari (Evangelion).
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 18:37   Link #59
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kamille's my favorite Gundam lead. I think he has pretty good development and went through a lot . Sure he has rage issues and is insecure but it makes sense in context, even though Z Gundam had so many lolTomino moments.

And Char is amazing of course. If he didn't steal the spotlight, Kamille would have definitely been my favorite star of the show.
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-09-01 at 19:04.
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 06:12   Link #60
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Well, this is awkward. I started watching Railgun's English dub and Kuroko is no longer insufferable anymore. Sounding like a teenager instead of an old woman makes her perverted antics more believable.
I felt the same way after watching Railgun on Hero.