AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 50 52.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 27.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 14.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-18, 02:40   Link #161
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
This really makes me laugh. Did mention NIGHT hunting?? Give another reason and not based from previous posts
So you want them to hunt right in the middle of active titans? Your idea's even dumber than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I don't think think they could trip your hut when it's on top of the tree. Don't know you heard of raising veges on pots?
It's already explained why farming on tree branches is... impractical and won't sustain any number of people.


Quote:
They have to unless they want to be stuck the way they are and wait for the two special ones to keep ramming walls one by one....
That doesn't mean they're free to waste lives for no reason. They're already scouting routes to Wall Maria.


Quote:
I explained it but all you say is how to keep you "elite pampered" and fat....
No, I'm saying I don't want to spend their lives for nothing. Learn the difference.


Quote:
Until then.... we have to do what we can do.... even if it cost lives....
But every life must be spent for the benefit of humanity. Not for the privilege of doing something stupid.

Quote:
DO I have to repeat everything???
Why not? I have to.

Quote:
I find this unproductive.... if one so damn caring about human lives... why seen a elite corp out in the wilderness in the first place.... Just wait for extinction....
They have an elite corps for dangerous jobs that need doing. Getting them killed for the sake of a camping trip serves no purpose.


Quote:
Resupplying once every 15 days.. you got two weeks luring Titans and ambushing them inside the forest...
Losing men steadily without visibly depleting the supply of titans...

Quote:
It's normal to be afraid... being scared and unwilling to act is stupid...for an elite..
They're not unwilling to act. They're all for fighting. They're unwilling to be eaten for no reason.

Quote:
Same goes on the walls no? I think it might take some times as these Titans did on the walls... I think these would have been effective if done a couple of years ago...
It would have gotten people killed a couple of years ago and they'd have been no better off.

Quote:
Is it my eyes or I see wagons following the corps.....
Two reasons:
- You don't use your supply caches unless you have to. Since resupplying them risks men, every time.
- The caches are on the route between Trost and Shiganjima. They departed from another town.

Quote:
I never said that, lols
No, but you're busy defending exactly such a strategy.

Quote:
But look what happens..... it didn't done anything during the surprise attack
They had the men to cover the retreat. Twice. And to retake Trost. Heck, they might have lost fewer people if the Recon Corps had been home during the first attack. (Before you use a strawman, that's not an argument for them to never leave. Just a remark that they'd better have a reason to leave.)

Quote:
The objective of base camp is :

1. Front line of defense against Titans
Which plenty of them will go gleefully around, thus dividing your forces.

Quote:
2. Luring the Titans to a
Luring some Titans. Considering their numbers, it's not that useful.

Quote:
> Less populated area away from the walled cities
Which is another reason it would be of dubious efficiency.

Quote:
> With strategic advantage for their 3rd gear
> Providing an effective ambush site against Titans
I don't deny it'll allow you to kill a handful of them, though I'll point out that the walls has canons, which also kill a small number of titans, and with far less risk.

I'm saying there are so many Titans you'll run out of men to do that shit long before you run out of Titans.

Quote:
3. Serve as a resupplying area for Recon corp.
A simple cache will do.

Quote:
4. Training area for actual combat experience..
Again, they don't need to hold the place for that. Heck, if they tried it, they'd lose too many men in the trips between it and the town to make it worthwhile. If people want to fight Titans, there are plenty of opportunities.

Quote:
5. A front for further expansion..
It's not a front. It's a place where they'd at best get besieged by a negligible number of Titans while all the others would go right on doing what they were doing.

Quote:
Supplies could be resource from wild games or livestock being raise ABOVE. Other necessity could be sent twice a month from the main base inside the cities every 15 days at night.
So you park your livestock in the trees. What are they going to eat and drink? You really think it's that easy?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 03:58   Link #162
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's already explained why farming on tree branches is... impractical and won't sustain any number of people.
Did you think I was planning to build a city size camp up the trees huh? Anfd be ridiculous.. you can't farm (like wheat etc) up on trees. I was talking about vegetables and wait... please we managed to grew one on pots . I don't know if you tried it and see its benefits....

Quote:
But every life must be spent for the benefit of humanity. Not for the privilege of doing something stupid.
So you think its not beneficial.. Well, we are not the same...

Quote:
They have an elite corps for dangerous jobs that need doing. Getting them killed for the sake of a camping trip serves no purpose.
They're to make a base and not for a camping trip.


Quote:
Losing men steadily without visibly depleting the supply of titans...
They're used to it.

Quote:
They're not unwilling to act. They're all for fighting. They're unwilling to be eaten for no reason.
I think the idea is reasonable.

Quote:
It would have gotten people killed a couple of years ago and they'd have been no better off.
I'm talking of way way back even before the Titans managed to reach the first wall.

Quote:
They had the men to cover the retreat. Twice. And to retake Trost. Heck, they might have lost fewer people if the Recon Corps had been home during the first attack. (Before you use a strawman, that's not an argument for them to never leave. Just a remark that they'd better have a reason to leave.)
If they had a base fort for the Titans to attack, the direct attacks on the walls could have been at least delayed.

Quote:
Which plenty of them will go gleefully around, thus dividing your forces.
Better than being eaten all at once....

Quote:
Luring some Titans. Considering their numbers, it's not that useful.
One human is enough to lure a dozen. Titans will likely chase a target that is at their reach.

Quote:
I don't deny it'll allow you to kill a handful of them, though I'll point out that the walls has canons, which also kill a small number of titans, and with far less risk.
They can be later be deployed on the front line bases.

Quote:
I'm saying there are so many Titans you'll run out of men to do that shit long before you run out of Titans.
So we got more Titans than the entire human race????

Quote:
Again, they don't need to hold the place for that. Heck, if they tried it, they'd lose too many men in the trips between it and the town to make it worthwhile.
At first yes, but it get lesser once the Titan's movement and numer in the area are checked.

Quote:
If people want to fight Titans, there are plenty of opportunities.
That includes the successful traps done later on... if the Titans in the area was that numerous... they can't be built....


Quote:
It's not a front. It's a place where they'd at best get besieged by a negligible number of Titans while all the others would go right on doing what they were doing.
The forest area is so huge.... so I think besieging by Titans is less likely possible.
Quote:

So you park your livestock in the trees. What are they going to eat and drink? You really think it's that easy?
Food left overs. I bet you don't do that in America... you too rely on processed feeds
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 04:19   Link #163
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I think I see the problem...

You think that:
- one pot to grow vegetables in is enough to feed dozens of people and their livestock for weeks.
- you completely underestimate the total number of Titans. What's scary about them isn't that they're big and strong and hard to kill. It's that they're all that and outnumber the heck out of humanity. Your base camp can be completely surrounded by hundreds of Titans (and that's what will happen) and it won't make a dent in the number of Titans poised to attack cities. And it will increase the number of Titans between the cities and your "camp", thus making supply runs more dangerous.
- you think getting soldiers killed is a victory in itself.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 04:30   Link #164
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

You think that:
- one pot to grow vegetables in is enough to feed dozens of people and their livestock for weeks.
Oh, come on... you serious? I'm not speaking of just pot farming.. and do they really have a huge appetite.... Ok.. if I say a base that holds a hundred men.. is that too many too feed? I think they have initiative to keep their supply last beyond 15 days....

Quote:
- you completely underestimate the total number of Titans. What's scary about them isn't that they're big and strong and hard to kill. It's that they're all that and outnumber the heck out of humanity.
So the end is that they all died.

Quote:
Your base camp can be completely surrounded by hundreds of Titans (and that's what will happen) and it won't make a dent in the number of Titans poised to attack cities. And it will increase the number of Titans between the cities and your "camp", thus making supply runs more dangerous.
The forest itself will be a battle ground not just a luring area. After having well experience soldiers, killing Titans will be pretty easy.

Quote:
- you think getting soldiers killed is a victory in itself.
Got any ideas where no one gets killed?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 04:31   Link #165
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think I see the problem...

You think that:
- one pot to grow vegetables in is enough to feed dozens of people and their livestock for weeks.
- you completely underestimate the total number of Titans. What's scary about them isn't that they're big and strong and hard to kill. It's that they're all that and outnumber the heck out of humanity. Your base camp can be completely surrounded by hundreds of Titans (and that's what will happen) and it won't make a dent in the number of Titans poised to attack cities. And it will increase the number of Titans between the cities and your "camp", thus making supply runs more dangerous.
- you think getting soldiers killed is a victory in itself.
To add to this.

There will constantly be titans waiting underneath the camp in the trees. If someone falls accidentally he will be instantly eaten. Currently there are no titans in the forest because the troops are stationed in the trees at the edge of the forest, this will be different if all the troops would be in the forest.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 04:37   Link #166
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
To add to this.

There will constantly be titans waiting underneath the camp in the trees. If someone falls accidentally he will be instantly eaten. Currently there are no titans in the forest because the troops are stationed in the trees at the edge of the forest.
That really made me laugh.... Levi will be pissed off " we got men like that in the corp???"
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 04:47   Link #167
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Oh, come on... you serious? I'm not speaking of just pot farming.. and do they really have a huge appetite.... Ok.. if I say a base that holds a hundred men.. is that too many too feed? I think they have initiative to keep their supply last beyond 15 days....
Yes, it's too many to feed. You can cultivates some herbs in pots. You can't grow enough food for everyone. And don't forget you need water, too.

Quote:

So the end is that they all died.
They have to fight smart.

Quote:
The forest itself will be a battle ground not just a luring area. After having well experience soldiers, killing Titans will be pretty easy.
The forest will be thick with Titans. Killing them will never be easy. And while it's better than plains, it has its own problems: poor visibility, obstacles that will entangle lines...

Quote:
Got any ideas where no one gets killed?
Strawman. I don't object to losses of human lives. I object to losses that don't come with commensurate gains.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 06:11   Link #168
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, it's too many to feed. You can cultivates some herbs in pots. You can't grow enough food for everyone. And don't forget you need water, too.
They could hunt for birds and wild animals... The forest can't be that flooded. Water? Rain water.


Quote:
They have to fight smart.
Yeah.

Quote:
The forest will be thick with Titans. Killing them will never be easy. And while it's better than plains, it has its own problems: poor visibility, obstacles that will entangle lines...
Woah, hahaha... I never thought of that. Are they fighting a limited space?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 13:57   Link #169
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Question: Did the humans thought of using the forest where the giant trees grow as their based of operation since Titans can't climb trees... It could have been a good strategy to lure them Titans to an area where the humans had an advantage..... Why wait for Titan's to attack and bring the battle to their walls?
So forgive me if I'm wrong but is this the question that started it all?

Because humanity never had any reason to suspect that titans could do anything about the walls back at the time and therefore any suggestion of that sort would have seemed pointless. In that regard it's not like they were wrong, they basically never had any problems for 100 years. It's just that they never knew that there would be a titan 60 meters tall and other intelligent titans.


After that? After that it became apparent that those kind of titans exist, and therefore staying isolated on trees inside a forest surrounded by enemies doesn't look like an intelligent idea at all, especially considering that the intelligent Titans would just ignore them completely and still attack the civilian settlements.

Even if they had detachments outside the walls as you suggest, the only thing that would have changed is that there would have been less soldiers inside the walls when the colossal titan showed up.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-08-22 at 14:14.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.