AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Danganronpa

View Poll Results: Danganronpa - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 1 4.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 32.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 32.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 12.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 4.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-19, 10:37   Link #101
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaired View Post
Taking the idea used by Umineko. Monokuma cannot break his own rules, but if there is a person behind Monokuma, he/she can do whatever he/she wants with another name.

My 2 cents, I may be helping or misleading you.
If that was allowed then what would prevent that same "person" from killing the culprit after he graduated and set "free" by "Monokuma"?


Kiritsugu and his geas or Dio Brando and the mother begging for her child's life come to mind here. Sure those guys did respect their promises.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-08-19 at 10:51.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 11:57   Link #102
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaired View Post
Taking the idea used by Umineko. Monokuma cannot break his own rules, but if there is a person behind Monokuma, he/she can do whatever he/she wants with another name.
Wondering if there's a 16th student AND someone controlling PsychoBear or just the 16th student is the one behind all of this, hence controlling him.
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 12:12   Link #103
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Monokuma is lying. In Episode 3 Celes asked why there are 16 stands in the "courtroom" and he answered that there was no particular meaning to it. No particular meaning my ass.
He's not lying. You left out the part where he says "It merely means the courtroom can accomodate 16 people." which it does.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 13:53   Link #104
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
He's not lying. You left out the part where he says "It merely means the courtroom can accomodate 16 people." which it does.
It doesn't merely mean that. And even if you considered that a half truth it still wouldn't cancel the full lie he said before.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 14:09   Link #105
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The death scene was also kinda meh... Yeah I get the joke but the Leon's death scene set the standard pretty high for me. In his case it was flamboyant but also absolutely possible, realistic and painful. It was something I could relate to and shiver in front of it. It was cruel and grotesque and perfectly executed. With Mondo's and Celes' death however it felt like watching a cartoon, just like an episode from Tom & Jerry and you know, you can only laugh at that.
I agree. Leon's death sequence was brutal in its entirety. He was dragged down a long, long hallway by a collar chained around his neck, which was rather brutal in itself. The main death sequence - being stoned by baseballs - is rather violent as well. I know that the anime version censored some of Leon's death compared with the game version, but I don't think it mattered. I found it shockingly violent as it was, and rather grim.

Mondo's and Celes' deaths were less realistic, and far less violent. Perhaps another contributing factor was the absence of the bodies. With Leon we saw his lifeless body still strapped to the post; with Mondo and Celes we didn't see anything. We also didn't see the rest of the cast reacting to the sight before them. While I felt that Leon's execution set expectations for how the others would play out, I'm not exactly disappointed that the series uses sillier sequences for the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaired View Post
P.S. I have noticed till now, but does any anime viewers remember that Leon's execution isn't the first?
I noticed. When I heard that this was based on a game, I began to wonder if that sequence was the "game over" sequence. The blindfolded boy doesn't resemble Naegi, though. I still suspect that Monokuma has gone through this "game" with other groups of students, and wonder if that death sequence was the death of one of the final students from the previous group.
__________________

Last edited by Ledgem; 2013-08-19 at 21:28.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 14:10   Link #106
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
Thing is, you can be not 100% truthful and still not be lying. He gave them a very open answer. He never once said there was no 16th student, just that there were 16 spots.
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 17:05   Link #107
AC-Phoenix
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Do the rules actually say that? I think it was worded differently in my subs.
Monokuma was known in the safari park for being twice as strict about rules than all the other bears
__________________
Those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat it - Santayana

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 20:22   Link #108
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It doesn't merely mean that. And even if you considered that a half truth it still wouldn't cancel the full lie he said before.
The word 'merely' is completely meaningless and doesn't change anything about the facts. It's a word trick that causes people to draw the wrong conclusion. There is no full lie that he might have said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Thing is, you can be not 100% truthful and still not be lying. He gave them a very open answer. He never once said there was no 16th student, just that there were 16 spots.
This. They asked a question, and he gave an answer. Not the most exact answer, but it's not a lie. A lie is when you say something that isn't true.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 20:26   Link #109
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
It is usually called "lie by omission" or "half-truth"
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 21:09   Link #110
gaiachaos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
This sounds like one of those animes where people are trapped in a virtual reality.
gaiachaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 21:46   Link #111
Dashery
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Yes, at that moment it was still fine, but there are a few hints. The fact that Yamada remembers that they all used to be classmates and adding the pictures, would have to mean that they spent at least some time together, during which anything could have happened in the "outside world". Then there is also that note "don't leave this place". Then also did you see the background in Naegi's video? That did not look "fine" to me.

And then there is also something that I don't think was mentioned in the anime, but it was in the manga adpation which present scans are around the same timeframe as the present anime episode (I didn't play the game):

Spoiler for Manga:
Not to mention that promptly after walking into the school, Naegi passed out (as did the other students presumably). Who knows how much time passed (and what could have happened) while they were asleep?
Dashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 21:52   Link #112
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashery View Post
Not to mention that promptly after walking into the school, Naegi passed out (as did the other students presumably). Who knows how much time passed (and what could have happened) while they were asleep?
I think it is possible that they did NOT pass out at that point, but entered and had a nice school life for some time. Then Monokuma manipulated their memories somehow, so that they would all forget everything from the moment they made their first step into the school ground, which could have been misinterpreted as "passing out" by the students.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 21:58   Link #113
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
It is usually called "lie by omission" or "half-truth"
I'll at the very least admit that he tries his best to make people draw the wrong conclusion. So he can berate them later for doing so.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 22:18   Link #114
Dashery
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I think it is possible that they did NOT pass out at that point, but entered and had a nice school life for some time. Then Monokuma manipulated their memories somehow, so that they would all forget everything from the moment they made their first step into the school ground, which could have been misinterpreted as "passing out" by the students.
Yeah. The photo is episode 6 suggests the students knew each other and have had their memories altered. Unless it was faked, of course.
I also just went back and watched the scene where Naegi "passed out" and he doesn't even fall down. Things get wonky and then he wakes up in the classroom.

Still, only so much time could have passed, maybe limiting what could have changed in the outside world. Even if their memories can be altered, they'll still age. Probably. Maybe. I hope.
Dashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 23:12   Link #115
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Cryogenic sleep gogo
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 05:23   Link #116
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
A nuklear war for example, doesn't take more than a few days to turn earth into a wasteland.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 05:32   Link #117
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Do you think a school is properly sheltered?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 05:48   Link #118
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
The radioactivity doensn't have to be necessarily strong in the area of the school. And yes, I do think with those steelplates in the way, they should be safe from smaller amounts of radioactivity. I mean no one of them was even able to take a look to the outside world. And the nuclear war was just 1 possible scenario.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 06:16   Link #119
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Maybe they are in space station!
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 07:18   Link #120
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Thing is, you can be not 100% truthful and still not be lying. He gave them a very open answer. He never once said there was no 16th student, just that there were 16 spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The word 'merely' is completely meaningless and doesn't change anything about the facts. It's a word trick that causes people to draw the wrong conclusion. There is no full lie that he might have said before.
Look let's just agree to disagree, because hey, I'm not going to agree that "merely" has no meaning or that "there's no particular reason" can be not considered a blatant lie in that context.

If Monokuma simply said "16 stands means that 16 persons can be accommodated in this courtroom" I would agree with you that he simply evaded the question and omitted facts, but he did not, he went further. By adding "dake" (only) he outright excluded any other reasons beside the one that he stated. "fukai imi ga nai yo" outright excluded any important reason.

To make another example. If a guy is of black and asian descent and I said "he is of african descent" I am not lying. But if I say "he is of african descent only" then I AM lying. Adding a simple adverb such as "only" to a sentence can completely change its meaning.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-08-20 at 09:28.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.