AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-08-18, 21:34   Link #41
Violet Rabbit

Yeah, it's all the writers fault. They only make him as smart as they want at that particular time, so there'd be more challenges. I like how he's at least competent to a degree in all the Leagues, but him not winning any of them sure seems like a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
To add, you can easily catch a wild Pikachu in the game.
I know Red always has a Pikachu, and it's surprisingly easy to catch one, but it's really not that easy to find. Or it shouldn't be, at least, since it has such a low find rate. In Viridian Forest, I mean. I do agree though, it's fairly easy even there, and if you have too much trouble, you can just go to the Power Plant.
Violet Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 22:08   Link #42
Shadow5YA

I think Pikachu became associated with Red more because of its popularity than reasons involving the storyline. The anime certainly boosted the franchise's popularity, and back then Red was the protagonist for the first generation.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 22:31   Link #43
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I think Pikachu became associated with Red more because of its popularity than reasons involving the storyline. The anime certainly boosted the franchise's popularity, and back then Red was the protagonist for the first generation.
And Pikachu's popularity was due to it being the Pokemon mascot, which was originally going to be Clefairy, but from what I understand one the department heads liked Pikachu more.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 22:34   Link #44
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
And Pikachu's popularity was due to it being the Pokemon mascot, which was originally going to be Clefairy, but from what I understand one the department heads liked Pikachu more.
that explain that pokemon manga with the talking Clefairy
Old 2013-08-18, 22:46   Link #45
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
that explain that pokemon manga with the talking Clefairy
Well that is part of the reason for Clefairy's popularity in Japan. It was going to be the mascot.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 00:15   Link #46
LostSome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
People are upset over this not being a series? It doesn't have to be, we all know where these 2 are gonna end up, Green being Giovanni's replacement as gym leader, and Red becoming an epic mute trainer on top of Mt. Silver.
Speaking of Giovanni, I want to see a real fight against the Don of ground Pokémon.

I had a Raichu in my first game, so I'm not against a Pikachu, later Raichu.
LostSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 02:35   Link #47
elior

actually ash won not only at the orange islands he also wont at the battle frontier challenges so he won in many challeges against strong pokemons such as articuno
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 06:18   Link #48
Violet Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
actually ash won not only at the orange islands he also wont at the battle frontier challenges so he won in many challeges against strong pokemons such as articuno
Hmmm? We know he's a good trainer when he can do that, but the amount of times he looks stupid just because he gets retconned every region is incredibly irritating.

What I'd like more than anything is for him to really just win the League in XY and like Red only worse, finally pass on his role of protag to someone else. Fat chance. I'd really like to follow a Pokemon series, and it's so hard to catch up if it's the same guy all the time. I generally like it but I know I'm somewhat bored of it if I'm all the way up to some part in BW but not actually caught up. If Yu-gi-oh, Beyblade, Digimon, etc can do it, I really wish Pokemon could as well.
Old 2013-08-19, 07:10   Link #49
Jetzero Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
(on a side note, I stopped watching just before the Diamond/Pearl stuff)
You're lucky you did. That arc was pretty much the worst case of the writers screwing over Ash in terms of his "power level". They actually had him grow a lot as a trainer, learn new tactics, use his old Pokemon in the league tourney and he actually fully evolved pretty much all of the Pokemon he used on his regular journey(save the Gibile he caught because...yeah). They even went so far as to pretty much create a rival that was Ash's total opposite and built that up over the entire season. Ash was actually set up pretty well to win that league and the writers realized it so they had him lose the tourney by letting him get to the semi-finals and fighting a random guy who used nothing but friggin LEGENDARIES. At that point you could tell they were running out of decent ideas to nerf him.

Back on topic, even if this is just a special I'm still interested in it, and I do think there's a fair chance something more may come of it. Especially since the BW saga was supposedly very poorly recieved in Japan. This way be their way of experimenting with a new audience though if that's the goal I think they should just go ahead and animate Special/Adventures
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 08:30   Link #50
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Always a fan of Generation I and the Manga! While the character design looks weird, I will definitely watch this!

Also, I wonder whether would we got Blue (Leaf) and Yellow from Special. Because Blue in also a Game character, so guess that is about 90%. Not sure about Yellow, though.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 11:09   Link #51
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Rabbit View Post
Hmmm? We know he's a good trainer when he can do that, but the amount of times he looks stupid just because he gets retconned every region is incredibly irritating.

What I'd like more than anything is for him to really just win the League in XY and like Red only worse, finally pass on his role of protag to someone else. Fat chance. I'd really like to follow a Pokemon series, and it's so hard to catch up if it's the same guy all the time. I generally like it but I know I'm somewhat bored of it if I'm all the way up to some part in BW but not actually caught up. If Yu-gi-oh, Beyblade, Digimon, etc can do it, I really wish Pokemon could as well.
Which is my gripe in my first post here- any of the challenges that are NOT game based (at least, I don't think the Orange Islands and whatnot were originally games) are the only thing Ash manages to win, and in all those, he only faces the gym leaders and no other trainers. In any of the leagues where he has to face other trainers, he always loses before he can make it to the top. And as for changing him from the protag... I think it might be two parts. One, Ash and Pikachu are so iconic to the franchise by this point that changing him would be death (most likely to the Big Wigs in charge of the franchise rather than any of the fans). Second, I know for a fact that Yugioh, if not the others, also have much darker origins (the manga of Yugioh is much darker than the anime), so the producers of those might have more guts to change the protags

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 11:59   Link #52
Violet Rabbit

Quote:
Which is my gripe in my first post here- any of the challenges that are NOT game based (at least, I don't think the Orange Islands and whatnot were originally games) are the only thing Ash manages to win, and in all those, he only faces the gym leaders and no other trainers. In any of the leagues where he has to face other trainers, he always loses before he can make it to the top. And as for changing him from the protag... I think it might be two parts. One, Ash and Pikachu are so iconic to the franchise by this point that changing him would be death (most likely to the Big Wigs in charge of the franchise rather than any of the fans). Second, I know for a fact that Yugioh, if not the others, also have much darker origins (the manga of Yugioh is much darker than the anime), so the producers of those might have more guts to change the protags
Well you are correct with the Orange Islands, but the Battle Frontier is game based, as it's in Emerald. Still not a League, though.

But yeah, that is true, with Yugioh. I don't know about Digimon, but I was mostly lumping it in because of it clearly being merchandise driven.
Old 2013-08-19, 15:46   Link #53
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Always a fan of Generation I and the Manga! While the character design looks weird, I will definitely watch this!

Also, I wonder whether would we got Blue (Leaf) and Yellow from Special. Because Blue in also a Game character, so guess that is about 90%. Not sure about Yellow, though.
I don't thnik so, since at the beginning of the trailer they show pokemon red and not pokemon firered
Old 2013-08-25, 04:39   Link #54
Jun pls

Quote:
I don't thnik so, since at the beginning of the trailer they show pokemon red and not pokemon firered
But Red's design is firered, or not?
Not sure since I don't have it.
But maybe it's also his design from red and I'm just too used to his fandom/fanart design
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 05:24   Link #55
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
But Red's design is firered, or not?
Not sure since I don't have it.
But maybe it's also his design from red and I'm just too used to his fandom/fanart design
It is. Red's character design is from FireRed and LeafGreen.
Old 2013-08-25, 13:44   Link #56
ChampDream
Alive

but green design is different
Old 2013-08-25, 16:11   Link #57
sky black swordman

Quote:
but green design is different
You mean, Red's rival? If so then yes, his character design is definitely different from all of his Pokemon game appearances.
Old 2013-09-06, 07:53   Link #58
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年

Cast:

Red: Junko Takeuchi
Green: Takuya Eguchi
Prof. Okido (Oak): Katsuji Mori
Takeshi (Brock): Tomokazu Sugita

(Source)

Eguchi as Green was unexpected but Sugita playing Takeshi even more so! lol
Old 2013-09-06, 07:54   Link #59
Jun pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Cast:

Red: Junko Takeuchi
Green: Takuya Eguchi
Prof. Okido (Oak): Katsuji Mori
Takeshi (Brock): Tomokazu Sugita

(Source)

Eguchi as Green was unexpected but Sugita playing Takeshi even more so! lol
Omg Sugita-sama as Takeshi lol
Didn't expect that at all oh my
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 12:19   Link #60
Birdway

Looking forwards Brock.

Red's designs is kind of derpy.

Quote:
Fact:

Anime is mean to be a an all age series.

Manga, isn't and so this special will be about,an all age special.

Tags
pokemon