AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-11-10, 18:34   Link #1
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Post [End Online] New MMORPG novel

Hey peeps,

So I'm here for two reasons, first of all to become a part of this forum and share my
thoughts and ideas with everyone.
Secondly and probably the greater reason, to let everyone know of my new novel I'm
writing.

I have read all the latest and greatest VRMMORPG novels and the ones where the
character practically find themselves in a game world. I also check about 4 times a day
for freshly translated chapters. Honestly the whole concept of these novels has
COMPLETELY sucked me in and I just can't get enough.

This now has lead me to begin my own story, one called End Online (link at the
bottom), so far I have released a couple of messages on my page and even a map of
the game world and I won't lie to you, I'm proud of it to the point that it's probably
unhealthy.

I have also last night begun writing chapter 1 which is due to be out on 14/11/14,
however at this rate I may release it a day or two early we will have to see. The
current plan is for weekly releases however if more time becomes available and
depending on my writing speed it may become twice a week.

I haven't actually released one yet but here, be the first to read a quick synopsis of the
novel,

"My name is Hollis Silvester, I'm nineteen, I don't go to school, I don't have parents
and I spend my life working so I can look after my two little sisters. Well, I did, at least
until the accident that left me confined in a wheelchair, left to never walk again. It
was then in my despair that I turned to the virtual world, the only place I could still use
my legs.
I chose to immerse myself in the game of End Online, a recent hit that was release
only 3 weeks ago with a motto of play your way. There was no information about how
the system works or any related material, just what is required for you to get into the
game and from that point on nothing, only a blank page with the text "play your
way."
It was in this world that I found a release from my pain of not only being incapable
of walking, but incapable of supporting my two siblings. Life is unfair in so many ways,
however thanks to this game, perhaps I can keep going and have everyone trust in
me once again."

Well there you have it, I spose i will post it around later, but read it first on animesuki
^.^

Now I can't give out too many spoilers, but you can read the novel as it comes out at
this link below.

http://endonline.wordpress.com

p.s I love feedback

p.s.s I love praise even more ^.^

Last edited by drunkenwolfin; 2014-11-10 at 19:21.
drunkenwolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 19:00   Link #2
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenwolfin View Post
Hey peeps,

So I'm here for two reasons, first of all to become a part of this forum and share my
thoughts and ideas with everyone.
Secondly and probably the greater reason, to let everyone know of my new novel I'm
writing.

I have read all the latest and greatest VRMMORPG novels and the ones where the
character practically find themselves in a game world. I also check about 4 times a day
for freshly translated chapters. Honestly the whole concept of these novels has
COMPLETELY sucked me in and I just can't get enough.

This now has lead me to begin my own story, one called End Online (link at the
bottom), so far I have released a couple of messages on my page and even a map of
the game world and I won't lie to you, I'm proud of it to the point that it's probably
unhealthy.

I have also last night begun writing chapter 1 which is due to be out on 14/11/14,
however at this rate I may release it a day or two early we will have to see. The
current plan is for weekly releases however if more time becomes available and
depending on my writing speed it may become twice a week.

I haven't actually released one yet but here, be the first to read a quick synopsis of the
novel,

"My name is Hollis Silvester, I'm nineteen, I don't go to school, I don't have parents
and I spend my life working so I can look after my two little sisters. Well, I did, at least
until the accident that left me confined in a wheelchair, left to never walk again. It
was then in my despair that I turned to the virtual world, the only place I could still use
my legs.
I chose to immerse myself in the game of End Online, a recent hit that was release
only 3 weeks ago with a motto of play your way. There was no information about how
the system works or any related material, just what is required for you to get into the
game and from that point on nothing, only a blank page with the text "play your
way."
It was in this world that I found a release from my pain of not only being incapable
of walking, but incapable of supporting my two siblings. Life is unfair in so many ways,
however thanks to this game, perhaps I can keep going and have everyone trust in
me once again."

Well there you have it, I spose i will post it around later, but read it first on animesuki
^.^

Now I can't give out too many spoilers, but you can read the novel as it comes out at
this link below.

endonline.wordpress.com

p.s I love feedback

p.s.s I love praise even more ^.^
This should be in Fan Creations, as it is not a published light novel or manga, or even a webnovel from Shousetsuka ni narou.
Amanomurakumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 19:06   Link #3
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Hmm that is definitely interesting, however what determines a fan creation?

Whilst the idea was inspiring not any particular novel in itself was, only the genre. The story is my own creation and not utilizing anyone else's material, hence why I wouldn't necessarily call it a fan creation.

Although I could perhaps call myself a self-proclaimed author if that sounds more accurate?

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-10, 19:13   Link #4
rantaid

fan creation (fanfic,fanart, original fan material) denotes what fan made, not what kind of creation they made.

yes, we all know that syosetsuka is basically a fanfiction, but they are recently adapted into light novel , anime or manga material.

so if no one made anime, manga, or light novel adaptation of your story.... usually people would argue that what you made are basically a fan creation (noting on your role as a fan of anime, manga, light novel, game and such material).

and its preferrable to hyperlink your site. copy pasta annoying

Last edited by rantaid; 2014-11-10 at 19:14. Reason: b
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 19:13   Link #5
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Hmm that is definitely interesting, however what determines a fan creation?

Whilst the idea was inspiring not any particular novel in itself was, only the genre. The story is my own creation and not utilizing anyone else's material, hence why I wouldn't necessarily call it a fan creation.

Although I could perhaps call myself a self-proclaimed author if that sounds more accurate?
However not everything in fan creations are fan fiction, they are creations by fans of anime/manga in general
Also the stuff in this section is exclusively stuff written in Japanese/Chinese/Korean

You may have noticed, a lack of western-published comics and novels.

Your novel is going to be written in English, I assume?
Old 2014-11-10, 19:20   Link #6
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantaid View Post
fan creation (fanfic,fanart, original fan material) denotes what fan made, not what kind of creation they made.

yes, we all know that syosetsuka is basically a fanfiction, but they are recently adapted into light novel , anime or manga material.

so if no one made anime, manga, or light novel adaptation of your story.... usually people would argue that what you made are basically a fan creation (noting on your role as a fan of anime, manga, light novel, game and such material).

and its preferrable to hyperlink your site. copy pasta annoying
Ah I see, however I will still hold my title of "self-proclaimed author".

Well until such a time as I can bribe people to start fanfics about my work i will have it as fanfic over my love of the genre, if I'm understanding you correctly.

oh dear that is embarrasing, allow me to hyperlink it now.

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-10, 19:26   Link #7
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Ah I see, however I will still hold my title of "self-proclaimed author".

Well until such a time as I can bribe people to start fanfics about my work i will have it as fanfic over my love of the genre, if I'm understanding you correctly.

oh dear that is embarrasing, allow me to hyperlink it now.
It's not fanfiction per se if is an original story that isn't directly based off already existing materials, like writing a story about Kirito (Character based), or about an original character in Aincrad (Setting Based, possibly Self-insert) for example.

If you go to Japtem.com, lots of the stories in the fanfic section are original stories loosely inspired by one of the novel translations there, by using the theme of VRMMO or reincarnation/summoning.
Old 2014-11-10, 19:27   Link #8
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanomurakumo View Post
However not everything in fan creations are fan fiction, they are creations by fans of anime/manga in general
Also the stuff in this section is exclusively stuff written in Japanese/Chinese/Korean

You may have noticed, a lack of western-published comics and novels.

Your novel is going to be written in English, I assume?
Well I will hope for an admin to move the thread into the correct subsection, I simply saw this thread for all the light novels, and considering yes I have been considering my story a novel figured it was the correct place. *noob-style facepalm*

Indeed I will be writing it in english, it is far better than my japanese and it would also avoid any future issues of "if you naturally speak english, why not write in english," not that I could probably write in Japanese in the first place, even my translation skills are sub-par.

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-10, 19:31   Link #9
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Well I will hope for an admin to move the thread into the correct subsection, I simply saw this thread for all the light novels, and considering yes I have been considering my story a novel figured it was the correct place. *noob-style facepalm*

Indeed I will be writing it in english, it is far better than my japanese and it would also avoid any future issues of "if you naturally speak english, why not write in english," not that I could probably write in Japanese in the first place, even my translation skills are sub-par.
Even if you study a language in school for a number of years, they don't teach beyond the basics like introducing yourself and a few basic sentences, like counting objects, and animal names and stuff. I wish I could learn Kanji by memorizing from an encyclopaedia, but my memory is not that amazing.
Old 2014-11-10, 19:36   Link #10
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Quote:
It's not fanfiction per se if is an original story that isn't directly based off already existing materials, like writing a story about Kirito (Character based), or about an original character in Aincrad (Setting Based, possibly Self-insert) for example.

If you go to Japtem.com, lots of the stories in the fanfic section are original stories loosely inspired by one of the novel translations there, by using the theme of VRMMO or reincarnation/summoning.
I haven't seen the japtem ones but I've been through the ones on royalroadl, indeed because it is an original story only sharing the genre I never originally considered it fanfiction, I understand writing a story about Kirito or Aincrad would be fanfiction but this is where my new found confusion lies, is my story actually fanfiction.

Original story, characters, setting. however is it fanfiction of the genre? in which case what determines what is fanfic and what is not within the genre, is it being published, in which case I would see my novel as being published on the internet. Is it having fanfiction of its own.

I don't in particularly mind calling it fanfiction or a novel, probably most accurate to say web novel, however which should I be calling it.

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-10, 19:39   Link #11
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Quote:
Even if you study a language in school for a number of years, they don't teach beyond the basics like introducing yourself and a few basic sentences, like counting objects, and animal names and stuff. I wish I could learn Kanji by memorizing from an encyclopaedia, but my memory is not that amazing.
All my knowledge is self taught, actually I never even learnt any languages in school, apart from a little Indonesian that I no longer remember.

I'm up to doing kanji, my memory is absolutely horrendous, however I do find creating small piles of flash cards does help me a lot.

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-10, 22:26   Link #12
lemonedSM
the show must go on

looks interesting,

could you tell us about the world building?
about the world of the game, and the real world, the settings, etc?

and since it's a VRMMO, will we expect names like B1gu5D1C|<U5555??
or some sort of l33t talk?
Old 2014-11-10, 22:29   Link #13
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonedSM View Post
looks interesting,

could you tell us about the world building?
about the world of the game, and the real world, the settings, etc?

and since it's a VRMMO, will we expect names like B1gu5D1C|<U5555??
or some sort of l33t talk?
Is it going to be more like elder scrolls online, final fantasy 11/14, or World of Warcraft, in otherwords: high fantasy, animesque, or cartoonish?
Old 2014-11-10, 22:31   Link #14
iLikePotatoes

lol You should have at least had a chapter ready before you created this thread...

Also maybe you should post some of your story to RR and Japtem in order to promote it?
iLikePotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 23:06   Link #15
lemonedSM
the show must go on

nah actually his bit of prologue already garner my interest.
a VRMMO story with western perspective not eastern.

so i will expect rugged beefed MC character instead of skinny lady boy type.
or perhaps a khajjit. instead of some generic elf.

tho MC name is kinda strange sounding for a westerner.
dunno if Hollis is the given name or surname.
Old 2014-11-10, 23:52   Link #16
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

huee well the real world is a fictional world AD 2026, the structure and technology isn't far different from the current day and age, the prominent technological advancements are in energy production, with working stable fusion reactors, a lot of synthetic material advancements in strength, flexibility, heat resistance etc.. and of course VR advancements. I kept a fictional setting based on where I live probably isn't suited to be a setting and if I was to try use another location we will be faced by a lot of inconsistencies that nobody is going to like.

There will be more in depth information as the novel progresses more but for the virtual world is based on a swords, magic, stone fortresses. Basically the central continent in the map is called the Kingdom of Ballathor, speaking of which I need to insert that onto the map. The map is what is released by the company of the game 4 weeks after its release (I don't really consider that a spoiler tbh) and only shows the three starter city's plus eight major towns, there are a large of smaller settlements but they are not listed, they can be found by exploring or following directions/gossip from npc's.

As for the skills and what not, I'm going to withhold that information on how it works for the time being, but there will be some knowledge of them placed into chapter 1.

The quality of the virtual world is rather close, when viewing scenery and buildings from a distance, 10m onwards, its difficult to actually differentiate between real and fake, however when you get closer it is easier to see the difference with minor flaws in connecting textures that aren't able to replicate the "real life" feeling. There was more quality placed on weapons and such things that spend the majority of their time close to the players point of vision.

@lemonedSM there will be strict AI in the naming sense so there won't be any far fetched names such as that XD there shall be no tricking the system to allow names such as SiRpen15 and such

The naming sense is western so naturally first name then surname, it is a bit of a strange name and garnered much of a debate, but then it came down to its a fictional world so having fictional names with the setting isn't too over the top and tbf I suppose I have seen stranger. (You do give me an idea for a character though!)

I considered placing some hello's on RR and Japtem but they seemed to want you to post your story on their forum and honestly I'm a little selfish and wanted my own site, not another story blended in with countless others.

*phew* well I'm off to work on writing chapter one, if I spend all day giving out information it will never get done. Checking for any unwanted spoilers... aand.. we're good

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-11, 01:56   Link #17
Namorax

I wanted to ask if our protagonist interacts with people in the real world, or is everything happening "ingame"?
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 02:02   Link #18
Altrelo

Your synopsis didn't really catch my fancy. There's isn't anything that makes it stand out for me. Weed had his debt and the chance to become an Emperor, Ark was part of a group that will become workers for the company, Momonga was another race, Mushoku was my first reincarnation story, Only Sense is a trap who's a crafter, Alice is also a trap, but the first few chapters had me hooked. The newness is an element shared by all.

I've read a few stories about disabilities and VR, though mostly in FF. Apologies if I'm coming across as harsh~
Altrelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 02:21   Link #19
drunkenwolfin
Trigger Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
I wanted to ask if our protagonist interacts with people in the real world, or is everything happening "ingame"?
It a majority ingame but I have planned aspects of the real world as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrelo View Post
Your synopsis didn't really catch my fancy. There's isn't anything that makes it stand out for me. Weed had his debt and the chance to become an Emperor, Ark was part of a group that will become workers for the company, Momonga was another race, Mushoku was my first reincarnation story, Only Sense is a trap who's a crafter, Alice is also a trap, but the first few chapters had me hooked. The newness is an element shared by all.

I've read a few stories about disabilities and VR, though mostly in FF. Apologies if I'm coming across as harsh~
Criticism is good thing, it allows people to improve so I don't see any issues with people giving their opinions. Any way I get what you mean, however every protagonist needs a 'drive' and then a 'reason' to keep moving onwards, so far I have given you the 'drive' in my short synopsis but not the 'reason'. LMS, Ark, Only Sense (I havent read the other two but I think I may look into it) all provided this and that's pretty much one of the key points to making a good protagonist. To be honest I personally wouldn't read something that involved playing the game "just coz I wanted to" or "I want to win this prize money"
Loss of the legs and inability to take care of his two little sisters led him to depression and to run away from reality. Not the most uncommon scenario, however quite realistic and easy to understand the protagonists pain.
Hopefully that explains my reasoning for choosing this scenario?

And also criticism will help me work harder to get people like you addicted to the story! ^.^

endonline.wordpress.com
Old 2014-11-11, 04:34   Link #20
Esclair

What's your hook? SAO and Log Horizon had immediate world changing plot hooks. The other VRMMO webnovels with low stakes have interesting game systems that get people interested. That's a sort of wow factor a VRMMO story needs to have in order to stand out.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game novels, mmorpg, wolfish