AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-08-27, 14:19   Link #241
Dargor

Its still a glorified katana fest though. One would expect a little more variety, but aside from Negima's own magic system, I don't expect any cultural variation coming from Akamatsu. Especially if this New Tokyo isn't in Japan proper.
Dargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 14:31   Link #242
Xellos-_^
Married

Since adult Eva has her disguise discover, is she going back to her loli Eva looks?
Old 2013-08-27, 14:46   Link #243
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargor View Post
Its still a glorified katana fest though. One would expect a little more variety, but aside from Negima's own magic system, I don't expect any cultural variation coming from Akamatsu. Especially if this New Tokyo isn't in Japan proper.
New Tokyo is Mahora.

The orbital elevator was being nearby the World Tree in Negima.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 15:10   Link #244
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Since adult Eva has her disguise discover, is she going back to her loli Eva looks?
Unknown. On the promotion pics Eva was on that adult form, which may mean she will be on that form for a long time in the story or maybe it was just a way of Akamatsu to not give away she was Eva before the manga started (as in things like the synopsis there was no mention of her). The 3rd page with Eva on loli form facing the other characters may be a hint she will be using that form in the future when she assemble all her party members.

All in all now I think she still is using current form because it both helps locomotion in normal society (people may think they are lost or something if they see 2 little children walking around) and because she may be afraid of Touta's reaction when he learn it. It could totally ruin her current image of a teacher/mother/older sister like figure.

Well, I'm sure it should be quite funny the first time he sees it.
Old 2013-08-27, 15:32   Link #245
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
New Tokyo is Mahora.

The orbital elevator was being nearby the World Tree in Negima.
he is going to have to earn 400,000 yen before he can go.
Old 2013-08-27, 15:35   Link #246
chaosprophet

Quote:
he is going to have to earn 400,000 yen before he can go.
Well, Eva prob have more than enough money to buy for both of them, or even the connections to be able to use without the need to pay anything. And there is always the option to sneak inside. XD
Old 2013-08-27, 15:40   Link #247
Hiss13
Eternal Hospital Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Well, Eva prob have more than enough money to buy for both of them, or even the connections to be able to use without the need to pay anything. And there is always the option to sneak inside. XD
She probably does have some way via connections and such but I am pretty sure that she is going to make him earn the 400,000 yen just to toughen him up (and to troll him).

On another note, does anyone know if there is any meaning or cultural significance in the space elevator's name, "Amanomi Hashira"?
Hiss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 15:50   Link #248
Ancient Death
Lonely without Suigintou

Quote:
I have a feeling that Eva will want the boy to earn the money himself if he have to learn how to "survive" in the big world since he is a bit naive...

Just a thought.
Ancient Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 15:51   Link #249
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
She might show Touta her true appearance, but for getting around, Onee-san mode is best. Plus,Eva probably enjoys someone actually treating her like an adult for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
On another note, does anyone know if there is any meaning or cultural significance in the space elevator's name, "Amanomi Hashira"?
As I recall, it's the bridge of heaven in Japanese mythology.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 16:00   Link #250
chaosprophet

@Ancient Death @Hiss13
I could see such a development but isn't he too young to be able to earn money on a big city? If it was in rowdy places like the magical world or even on a village like where they lived it would makes more sense. But yeah I agree it's a possible development.
Old 2013-08-27, 16:00   Link #251
Tenzen12

Eva turned Touta into vampire, right? I was wondering if her being nerfed can't be caused by transfering part of here power to him.

Also this chapter make me reminiscent for old school shonen likes Flame of Recca and such. While I can't be sure yet, I think this manga has lot of heart.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 16:01   Link #252
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
I am more leaning to the possibility that Negi and Wife's kid (most likely daughter) married a Konoe. Rather than Negi marrying Konoka.

Negi X Wife = daughter who is Touta's mom
Konoka X Husband = son who is Touta's dad

P.S. but thinking of the last pages of negima showing little setsuna and konoka, maybe Negi's son is touta's dad and konoka's daughter is touta's mom...
That's exactly the way I'm thinking about this. Given how Konoka's dad married into the Konoe family and took the Konoe name (as he is also an Aoyama), I leaning more towards Negi and Konoka being separate grandparents to Touta (Negi on one side, Konoka on the other) rather than them being married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Konoka and Setsuna got husbands in the epilogue.
In response to that:

1. That epilogue was set in the timeline where Asuna, with some help from Chao, returned to 2004 Mahora Academy after waking up in the future, and as you said, this is set in a timeline where Asuna is likely still sleeping and didn't return to the past, meaning that things could be different in this timeline (especially if Setsuna if still feeling guilt over allow Asuna to undergo a 100+ year sleep in order to ensure the future of the Magic World).

2. Also, in terms of said epilogue, where does it specifically say that Konoka and Setsuna got husbands rather than the two marrying each other? :P

In short, given how UQ Holder is likely set in one of the alternate timelines that Chao mentioned near the end of Negima, it's likely that things will be different in terms of what happened to some characters (with what happened to Konoka and Setsuna being one example of it).
Old 2013-08-27, 16:05   Link #253
Xellos-_^
Married

if the 4guys on the right of the spread is the 4-friends of Touta. That would mean a Time-skip coming up soon.
Old 2013-08-27, 16:23   Link #254
chaosprophet

Quote:
if the 4guys on the right of the spread is the 4-friends of Touta. That would mean a Time-skip coming up soon.
I personally isn't expecting those friends to appear anymore, or at least to not be relevant anymore. It did seems to me they're there more just to give some background and characterization on Touta. But again we will see.
Old 2013-08-27, 16:24   Link #255
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Personally, I have doubts of a time skip happening this soon (unless it happens a number of chapters later). The reason for this: if a time skip were to take place in the first two chapters, it would have most likely happened at the end of the first chapter as a way of ending the "basic story set-up" that makes up the first chapter of a shounen title. The two main example of what I base this: Kekkaishi (which has it's first chapter set four years before the setting of the story and end in present day) and One Piece (whose first chapter focuses on Luffy's back story and ends with a time skip ten years later, where he leaving his home and beginning the adventure that pretty much makes up the rest of the manga).
Old 2013-08-27, 16:37   Link #256
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
I personally isn't expecting those friends to appear anymore, or at least to not be relevant anymore. It did seems to me they're there more just to give some background and characterization on Touta. But again we will see.
i thought about that but the central theme of this manga (at least as far as i can tell) is that Immortality sucks. What better way to hammer that into the MC then have his childhood friends showup as a adult while he remain a kid.
Old 2013-08-27, 17:08   Link #257
mechdra

We totally forget about Chamo. Is he dead or did he turn back to be a human? I guess the guy with the mop could be him.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 17:38   Link #258
Ancient Death
Lonely without Suigintou

What is really bugged me is that one of the boy's friends look so similar to Fate...Or was it Nagi's "teacher" as well?

Fate clones everywhere...
Ancient Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 18:19   Link #259
myopius

Eva and immortality are 2 of the things that interested me most about Negima, so I'm psyched for more info.

I hope the smaller cast means better character development.

And I hope that, beyond this initial point, Eva's problems aren't trivialized or only indirectly developed. An earlier poster was right to say that immortality was shown to be "awesome" in practice, yet that's like saying that someone suffering from depression doesn't "make sense" because they're surrounded by friends. I do feel that we readers haven't yet had immortality's difficulties conveyed to us in a way we can really empathize with, and Akamatsu has no excuse to not spend time on that when this manga is immortality-centric and dark from the get-go.

Negima was a (mostly) bright story with a dark protagonist, but UQ Holder feels like a dark story with a bright protagonist.

What seems clear to me about Touta's lineage is that he's Konoka's descendent. Because according to a brief glance at the Negima wiki (which is already saying Konoka is Negi's husband--can't we just wait and see, people?) Konoka doesn't have any relative besides her father and grandfather in the original manga. What seems equally clear to me is that Konoka didn't have any potential love interests in the original Negima manga besides Negi and Setsuna--although I think it's less unlikely she'd find one than that some Konoe other than Konoka would be the ancestor of Touta. I see three possibilities that would follow the development of the manga--Negi x Konoka (Setsuna and her husband/wife would presumably live very close by), Konoka x Setsuna with adopted or magically procreated child (this would make Touta's parents children of Konoka and Negi respectively, which would match the hair color observation someone made), and Negi x Konoka x Setsuna. However, Akamatsu showed at the end of Negima that he wasn't bound to follow through on everything, so I think it's far from impossible he could have just disregarded what we know about Konoka's feelings and had her marry some other random person. Oh, and I also briefly considered whether Konoka might be the great-grandmother of Touta but... I think it's hard to squeeze it in. Konoka would be in her 70's at this point. I do ship Konoka and Setsuna, and the hair color thing might be an indication Konoka didn't marry Negi, but... especially if Asuna is out of the picture in this timeline... I could see Akamatsu deciding to set up Negi with Konoka and Setsuna with Tsukuyomi... All right, I just vented my thoughts and reconfirmed that I have no way of knowing anything at this point.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but the character on the magazine cover with Touta and Eva seems like she could be the main heroine, and she wears pants, which is awesome! The new characters look promising to me. Very balanced height-wise... in the color spread, there are a total of 12, with 6 tall and 6 short: Touta (short), Eva (tall currently), 5 tall bishounen, 2 short girls wearing skirts, 1 short girl wearing pants, 1 short boy (I think), and 1 short figure in a hooded raincoat who seems like s/he's probably a boy.

If the introduction chapter/s is intended to be 124 pages (as chaosprophet mentioned was tweeted), I expect the next 40+ pages to dump a lot of info and develop 1 or 2 of the new characters we haven't seen yet, and also answer a ton of questions we have. I just hope (along with my many other hopes) that immortality isn't cheapened or turned into a commodity.
myopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 18:53   Link #260
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdra View Post
We totally forget about Chamo.
Don't worry, so did Akamatsu for most of the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdra View Post
Is he dead or did he turn back to be a human?
Sorry, you lost me.

Also, I just had this terrible thought that Chachamaru deactivated herself after Negi died. Yes, I'm actually taking the naive assumption that Negi is dead. That's how my speculation rolls.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, mother-con, sequel