AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-10-29, 12:50   Link #2481
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
She must have a bad memory for a Level 5 I think, you know Lessar = magic but Mikoto is oblivious to magic therefore Mikoto is oblivious to Lessar.
I was unaware that being a Level 5 means that she has to be able to remember every face.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 12:57   Link #2482
Hiss13
OHAYO GOZAIMOMO~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Big Apple
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
She must have a bad memory for a Level 5 I think, you know Lessar = magic but Mikoto is oblivious to magic therefore Mikoto is oblivious to Lessar.
I really doubt that Lessar was really a priority for Mikoto at any point in this volume.
__________________
Hiss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 15:06   Link #2483
desrtsku
wuaaai!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
^ This is partially right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthaeh View Post
That pretty heavily implies that Mikoto doesn't recognize Lessar. That implied meaning could possibly be an artifact of translation, but without being able to understand the original, that's all I have to go on. You could claim that she just wasn't able to recognize Lessar from that distance, though even that's a thin argument since she can recognize Birdway.
Re-read my post, please, PLEASE.
Quote:
she can recognize Birdway.
Yes, exactly, and that's the point because :
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT8 etc ...
Who was the dangerous blonde girl sitting on his lap ...*answer* ... ?
If your statement about her not recognizing Lessar is based on that very sentence, then you should also give a good explanation to the following one, where she's "asking" who Birdway is, despite giving the answer in the same sentence.

My point is : it's just part of the prose. Her questions aren't there to claim the demanded answers (that are obvious anyway), they're just there to state how ridiculous the situation is. [Brackets]I'd like to bet all three questions were probably written using the same structure in the original, but need someone who has the raws and can read the thing to confirm that.[/Brackets]
__________________
Waaaaiii!
Pls, don't bully!
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 15:41   Link #2484
Cthaeh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Re-read my post, please, PLEASE.
OK, the first time I read your post it didn't make sense to me because the text you were writing about wasn't indicated, but after quoting that text myself I see what you were talking about.

I still hold that the way the sentence is currently phrased in the translation implies Mikoto doesn't recognize her. Whether or not this is a result of differences in the two languages and the translation, I don't know. Had it been phrased "What was that imp-like girl doing snuggling up next to him?", I would have agreed that the phrasing is ambiguous about the issue of recognition of identity. However, I think that "who" definitely implies uncertainty in identity.

Regarding your argument with Birdway, while Mikoto recognizes her, she never actually learned Birdway's identity. So the use of "who" correctly implies Mikoto's not knowing Birdway's identity in that case.

Whether or not Mikoto has forgotten Lessar completely, or just hadn't yet recognized her yet at that scene, I don't know. I agree it's reasonable that Mikoto might not immediately recognize every person she's ever seen. All I would conclude is that at the instant that question is phrased, the current wording of the translation implies that Mikoto has not recognized her.
Cthaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 07:14   Link #2485
desrtsku
wuaaai!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
^ But she never learned who Lessar really was either. Mikoto just teamed up with her on a whim because she new about the oranges etc, and never learned/understood anything more about her but her name. If you really can dismiss Birdway's case with an argument like that so easily, then Lessar's case should also follow the example.

Furthermore, I'm repeating myself here,
Spoiler for Usage of who : Too long:
__________________
Waaaaiii!
Pls, don't bully!
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 23:39   Link #2486
ACertainStark
Misfortune -15C
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
^ But she never learned who Lessar really was either. Mikoto just teamed up with her on a whim because she new about the oranges etc, and never learned/understood anything more about her but her name. If you really can dismiss Birdway's case with an argument like that so easily, then Lessar's case should also follow the example.

Furthermore, I'm repeating myself here,
Spoiler for Usage of who : Too long:
I missed desrtsku.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 21:59   Link #2487
Acer
Death to the infidels!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in a world of pain!
rereading the epilogue of volume 8 calmly and using the power of imagination (mental imagery) you feel like those parts were serious.

Quote:
The black eyepatch was pushed out from within. An object covered in a dark red liquid shot out from the empty eye socket. It continued on and on.

“Ha ha ha ha!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!”

The magic god laughed arched her back.

An unpleasant noise rang out.

The tip of the lance was not a sharply pointed blade like on a knife. It was a wide blade as if a double-edged sword had been forcibly attached. What would happen if that was forcibly dragged from her narrow eye socket? The sound of a joint popping continued on and on with a sticky sound mixed in. No, that was the sound of something breaking and splitting. Her eye socket may have been spreading and distorting like a hole in a rubber band. It may have even grown larger than the girl’s small face.
That is grotesque!

Quote:
“Ahhhhhhhh!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! ”

He shouted, screamed, and cried out.

Finally, Kamijou Touma was freed from the bonds keeping him frozen in place.

Without paying any attention to his surroundings, he ran so he could get as close as possible to Magic God Othinus. She stood atop the towering passenger ship, so there was no way the boy’s legs could have brought him to her. However, he was afraid his mind would collapse if he did not oppose her in some way.
I think this was the only time in the series that really gave to feel desperation coming from Touma, the worst was that Othinus is out of his reach, eliminating all hope of the situation.

I'm depressed now, shit!
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 13:10   Link #2488
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Our favorite Toaru Japanese blog finally has a review up.

Even if it's just for the reaction pictures, it's worth a peek

http://kodoku21.blog83.fc2.com/blog-entry-3183.html
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 06:12   Link #2489
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inside Mugino's Pantsu *_*
othinus : "ahahahahah balbalbablabla akekaekakaeka"
what the hell? i dont understand. she is turned into fairy thing by ollerus and then lose her magic god power, then she start laughng 100% 100% 100% blabalbal. i... dont understand...

and i dont understand why othinus want to 'destroy' the world like low-class villain in old school kid anime... and how does she do it? like "SHINE MY SPEAR! DESTROY THE WOOORLD!" like that? -_-

and i dont understand why should she overthinking 50/50 chance of doing something. everyone have that chance, but you make it 100% with your effort and hardwork. stupid..
__________________
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 08:46   Link #2490
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
othinus : "ahahahahah balbalbablabla akekaekakaeka"
what the hell? i dont understand. she is turned into fairy thing by ollerus and then lose her magic god power, then she start laughng 100% 100% 100% blabalbal. i... dont understand...

and i dont understand why othinus want to 'destroy' the world like low-class villain in old school kid anime... and how does she do it? like "SHINE MY SPEAR! DESTROY THE WOOORLD!" like that? -_-

and i dont understand why should she overthinking 50/50 chance of doing something. everyone have that chance, but you make it 100% with your effort and hardwork. stupid..
Read the next volume for answers.
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
complete magic god, end of the world, magic god, off-screen fights, othinus

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.