AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-10-16, 04:47   Link #1
Power2All

Question Information facts about Nyaa and EdwardK versus smaller less known trackers

Just as a warning to users, this post is pure here to inform you as a downloader and uploader what is going on lately on BitTorrent world.'
This post is not ment to be a kick to nyaa or edwardk's tracker, or any of the trackers that use this tactic, this is pure out of informational basis and we have proof enough (multiple people have tested uploading torrents from various trackers).

Let me start out that Nyaa is a very fast, simple looking tracker that "works", atleast, for the downloading/uploading part.
The thing people don't know, and it seems being kept out the loop as people don't seem to notice this change, is that Nyaa and EdwardK has been working out monopolizing the torrent indexing environment.

If you create a torrent, that contains all announce URL's you wish to use (OpenBittorrent, PublicBT, etc...), you think these will stay in your torrent when uploading to Nyaa and EdwardK.... No, they actually remove everything, with the exception of minglong and their own tracker URL.

Now, most of you people might think, who gives a F right ?
Well, this way, they are bleeding out the smaller trackers that don't get their userbase on their sites, as Nyaa is basically blocking out these smaller trackers to grow and show that they offer a lot of features Nyaa and EdwardK are not offering.

We all know what happened when IRC networks whe're fighting over who gets the anime userbase on their network, and we all know this became Rizon, who now contains all big and most fansub group channels compared to any other IRC network togheter.
How this happened, exactly the same thing, killing off IRC networks with attacks so users slowly sizzle into their stable and attack-secured network (that costs a lot of money mind you back in the past).

Why I post this ?
It's not because I own a smaller tracker for anime, ok ok, a little then maybe, but basically I work togheter with other small trackers who have the same problems.
I remember, when I openly said this about the torrents, a lot of rage from people (including fansub groups) came towards me back in the past too, and I see the same thing I did as a test, being openly used on both trackers, and nobody says a thing.
Is it just me, or does the fansub group community don't care anymore about their own community as in what happens with their self-made torrents ?

Just something I wanted to clear my head about.

Just to make sure a disclaimer

Disclaimer:
This post is not made for flaming, hating or what not.
Nyaa and EdwardK run their sites as they wish to run it.
I run my own site and have no problems personally with them.
This post is purely here for informational basis, as Nyaa and EdwardK do not mention these things to their userbase, and rather keeps it all quiet under the covers.

I expect the users on this forum to behave themselfs with responding, so will I.
Power2All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 12:22   Link #2
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

I wish torrents were as decentralized as possible, with trackers being preferably non-profit. A big tracker like Nyaa that is essentially making money from piracy is an easy target for law-empowered copyright holders to take down. When that happens it'll be hella annoying for everyone and many terabytes will be forever lost to the void.
Old 2013-10-16, 13:17   Link #3
Power2All

Thats correct.
Since if nyaa's and minglong's tracker gets DMCA'd or hacked, or whatever could happen, the torrents essentially coming from Nyaa, will be dead.
Sure, DHT might still work, but it's tracking and indexing will be lost.

And since my tracker was being DMCA'd by the Italian government, and some other random people harrassing my ISP, all my pre-torrents before I rebooted AniRena got lost, as I didn't had a up2date backup.

You see how easy it is when it dies.
You can have a backup, but after a DMCA, your domain could be confisquated, and you lost all your tracking data that easly.
Old 2013-10-16, 13:36   Link #4
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
You can have a backup, but after a DMCA, your domain could be confisquated, and you lost all your tracking data that easly.
From my little experience, if your domain gets confiscates they can jump into other other domains (.eu, .se, .pw, etc) so it really becomes a was of attrition, if a torrent closes it is because the owner has fed up with the harassment (or lives in a country where he could be legally prosecuted, which IMO means he should never have started a tracker).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 14:56   Link #5
Power2All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
From my little experience, if your domain gets confiscates they can jump into other other domains (.eu, .se, .pw, etc) so it really becomes a was of attrition, if a torrent closes it is because the owner has fed up with the harassment (or lives in a country where he could be legally prosecuted, which IMO means he should never have started a tracker).

Thats the thing.
The domain URL's in the torrent will be useless, so nyaa or any other tracker needs to change the domain URL's in the torrent when a user downloads it.
Eitherway, a domain confisquated is a problem.

Since the server, and domains are hosted in Sweden, and we all know about how PirateBay ended, 1+1=2

Last edited by Power2All; 2013-10-16 at 15:17.

Tags
nyaa edwardk tracker