AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-05-22, 16:23   Link #201
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Different people handle exams differently. I've known people to be nervous wrecks before an exam. Yet I tend to be quite calm. Not relaxed yet not panicky. Generally not worrying about it helps. It's not like failing means instant death. The usual advice of not revising the day before and not revising 24/7 also applies. I learned to be calm after totally going berserk the night before an exam and smashing a mirror. In the end, that kind of stress and pressure just isn't worth it. Besides it's nothing compared to University finals, where failure means you've wasted 4 years and £16000+!

From what I've heard from examiners, they aren't there to catch you out, and are actually trying to give marks out. And I believe a few marks are or were given for spelling and grammar.

And the classic advice: Read the question, then re-read 7 times to make sure you're sure of what it says. Nothing worse than rabbiting on about something totally different to what they've asked ^^;
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 06:19   Link #202
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Well, as much as I enjoyed school with my friends, I hate the education systems in Singapore.

I won't go into why the education systems are bad, but I seriously look toward to a future where data is fed directly into brains.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 07:44   Link #203
Shi-chan
Chanchanchan
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kuurne (Belgium)
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
I won't go into why the education systems are bad, but I seriously look toward to a future where data is fed directly into brains.
that =D

Anyway, here in Belgium in 2 weeks we've got finals, and they're hard like hell. I've got 2 weeks exams with 2 course exams/day (writing) and then a whole week oral exams.
Roster: math (6 hours exams), english (2hours), french (2 hours + 1 oral), fysics (2hours + oral), chemicals (2hours), geografie (2hours), religion (2hours), dutch (4hours + oral), biology (2hours), history (2ours + oral)

And to be honest: only history and english are intresting me, the other ones I had to take along my road becaus of the belgian education system, yeah they say it's the best one in the world, but it's also one of the harder ones I think (got 6/7 days a week lessons from 8 am till 6.30 pm except saterday it's from 8 till 12)
Shi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 09:07   Link #204
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi-chan
² that =D

Anyway, here in Belgium in 2 weeks we've got finals, and they're hard like hell. I've got 2 weeks exams with 2 course exams/day (writing) and then a whole week oral exams.
Roster: math (6 hours exams), english (2hours), french (2 hours + 1 oral), fysics (2hours + oral), chemicals (2hours), geografie (2hours), religion (2hours), dutch (4hours + oral), biology (2hours), history (2ours + oral)

And to be honest: only history and english are intresting me, the other ones I had to take along my road becaus of the belgian education system, yeah they say it's the best one in the world, but it's also one of the harder ones I think (got 6/7 days a week lessons from 8 am till 6.30 pm except saterday it's from 8 till 12)
Eh? Did that change lately ? It wasn't like that 7 years ago (jeez ... incredible how fast time is moving T_T) Sounds more like the system in the Netherlands.

I remember going to high school from 8:30am till 4:30pm except Wednesday, where it was until 12:00am. Never had courses on Saturday O.o

LOL... I could have killed that history teacher back then during the finals. Oral exam... First making me explain a set of conferences (with most East-Asian leaders in Indonesia during the late sixties, early seventies) and their political and economic impact in Asia and all the extended research I had to do for that paper. The man just sat there, not even listening, playing with his pen, watching outside, making annoying sounds ...

When I asked him if there was a problem, he told me he acted like his students did during history class O.o so we know how irritating it could be.

This got me boiling insode and I told him that he'd better show me the same respect I gave him and that if he couldn't, he'd better get the hell out of my sight. Without yelling, just staying calm and telling him. (the way you say something you don't want other people to hear) He looked up... remained silent and dismissed me. If he failed me, I wouldn't even care and would be filing a very nasty complaint against him. You can imagine the throbbing vein -_-#

Well... in the end I passed and had even great notes for it. Afterwards, I was told it was his first time ever that someone acted like I did O.o and that he was speechless at that time to say anything else that "You can go".
__________________

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 10:17   Link #205
Shi-chan
Chanchanchan
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kuurne (Belgium)
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran
Eh? Did that change lately ? It wasn't like that 7 years ago (jeez ... incredible how fast time is moving T_T) Sounds more like the system in the Netherlands.

I remember going to high school from 8:30am till 4:30pm except Wednesday, where it was until 12:00am. Never had courses on Saturday O.o

LOL... I could have killed that history teacher back then during the finals. Oral exam... First making me explain a set of conferences (with most East-Asian leaders in Indonesia during the late sixties, early seventies) and their political and economic impact in Asia and all the extended research I had to do for that paper. The man just sat there, not even listening, playing with his pen, watching outside, making annoying sounds ...

When I asked him if there was a problem, he told me he acted like his students did during history class O.o so we know how irritating it could be.

This got me boiling insode and I told him that he'd better show me the same respect I gave him and that if he couldn't, he'd better get the hell out of my sight. Without yelling, just staying calm and telling him. (the way you say something you don't want other people to hear) He looked up... remained silent and dismissed me. If he failed me, I wouldn't even care and would be filing a very nasty complaint against him. You can imagine the throbbing vein -_-#

Well... in the end I passed and had even great notes for it. Afterwards, I was told it was his first time ever that someone acted like I did O.o and that he was speechless at that time to say anything else that "You can go".
Wednesday afternoon I've got music lessons at school, most schools don't have them, I think that's the reason. And we start at 8.30 but have to be at school at 8 to get a meal ordered and stuff.

And damn that teacher sure had a weird mood... ^^;
Shi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 15:13   Link #206
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Age: 24
Well just did English lit today
I reckon I aced the Section A on the book but Poetry

writing about poetry is not my strong point, I tend to start on the question then my mind goes blank or I ramble for ages and when I look back Im like oops, In this case I made that mistake when I started analysing the poems language and then structures when it specified language
my pitiful coursework pretty much means a bad grade no matter the outcome
(a C if i'm lucky :P )

I think I aced the I.T. test it was really easy for me and also Section A was...
wait for it....
multiple choice!

tommorrow I gotta go in for the p.e. (physical education-sport) test which is basically common sense,
theres a saying: If you can't teach, teach R.S., If you can't teach R.S. become a P.E. teacher

@Syaoran
your story made me laugh
you rock \m/
Blizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 17:39   Link #207
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzer
@Syaoran
your story made me laugh
you rock \m/
Unfortunately it won't work twice ^^'
__________________

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 17:33   Link #208
Calca
Expressionless
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Incognito
Finally graduated college

Also became an uncle around the same time.

Awesomeness.


Also, if anyone needs help on biology/genetics stuff feel free to ask since that was my forte.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 03:00   Link #209
Ziv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ALASKA!!! W00t! I'm BACK FINALLY!!!!
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
I went through high school with doing 0 work. Now I'm trying to skip college if possible.

I laugh at you people that went through high school doing 4 hours of busywork every day.
Same here. As did all my friends. Graduated Summa cum laude and in National Honor Society for whatever that's worth. I don't think I'll be able to slide through anymore now that I'm gonna be in college though. But it won't matter since the classes will be fairly entertaining.

I just hope I don't get professors like Miss Dicus the computer teacher: link to her ratemyteachers.com page =/ This is a teacher who tested you on your memorization of how she phrased a sentence, and often forgot how she phrased it and put a completely different question. She regularly consults "Computers for Dummies." She considers basket weaving an important college course. The network administrator once told her that if she pressed the Dell logo on any of the computers, it would erase the hard drive. She promptly forwarded this information to all her classes, all of which pressed the logos while laughing at her.

Last edited by Ziv; 2006-06-20 at 03:16.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 21:55   Link #210
syntex
Error 641
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
any animesukiers going to U of T in the fall?

Gona go to U of T in the fall for life sci any body here gona be in st. mikes college? maybe we will see each other. BTW does anyone know of that student run website wheer they sell of books for U of T? I used to have it but seems to have lost it in my pile of information booklets
__________________

syntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 22:02   Link #211
Uh_huh
♥ Bouncy ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
I attend UofT but I'm not a huge fan of meeting up with random strangers on the intarnet (exceptions for hawt girls though =P).

I think the website you are referring to is this.
Uh_huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 22:24   Link #212
syntex
Error 641
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
sweet thx for the website just what i was looking
__________________

syntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 08:26   Link #213
GoTz
Deleted
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Withdrawal or F

So, to begin with, this has nothing to deal with anime or bittorent which is why this post is in the General Chat area. Some people may view this thread as "lame and stupid" with no real reason to why it should be here, but I have a very good reason for posting it. This may not only benefit me, but others in the same boat as well.

I am currently enrolled in a community college. This is the first semester of my second year and I can honestly say, I am not doing good AT ALL. I am averaging a 3.0 coming off of my first year, and I already have one 'W', also known as a Withdrawal. Currently, this semester, I Withdrew from two classes; one I knew I definately would not have passed, the other because this is my second time taking that class (to get a higher grade because the first time around I earned a C) and I wasn't doing better so I decided to drop it. Now I have a dilemma. I have one more class that I physically go to (the other two are online) which is Math 135 Precal and after the third exam, I am averaging a 56.5%. The thing is, I barely ever go to class and I never study. In fact, I only show up when there are exams to take. I am completely uninterested in school right now, the only reason I am doing fine in my online classes is because I can stay at home and log on from my computer. Anyways, I need to know whether or not I should drop this class for a 'W' or keep it while trying to get a passing grade with a very high chance of earning an 'F'. Also, how will this effect my future? If I decide to go on to a university will they even accept me after looking at my transcripts and seeing these four shining 'W's, not to mention having three in one semester? Would it be better to just take the 'F'? I really don't know what to do and I'm killing myself over being so stupid and slacking off in school. I have two days to decide what to do because the last day to even drop a class is coming up.

I figure this would be the best place to ask this type of question because of the huge variety of people who visit these forums, and maybe people who are in the same situation want to know the same thing but just aren't asking.
__________________

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 15:21   Link #214
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTz View Post
...Now I have a dilemma. I have one more class that I physically go to (the other two are online) which is Math 135 Precal and after the third exam, I am averaging a 56.5%. The thing is, I barely ever go to class and I never study. In fact, I only show up when there are exams to take. I am completely uninterested in school right now, the only reason I am doing fine in my online classes is because I can stay at home and log on from my computer. Anyways, I need to know whether or not I should drop this class for a 'W' or keep it while trying to get a passing grade with a very high chance of earning an 'F'. Also, how will this effect my future? If I decide to go on to a university will they even accept me after looking at my transcripts and seeing these four shining 'W's, not to mention having three in one semester? Would it be better to just take the 'F'? I really don't know what to do and I'm killing myself over being so stupid and slacking off in school. I have two days to decide what to do because the last day to even drop a class is coming up....
F is much worse than a W. At least a W can be explained to college/uni in a letter or whatever, make some bullshit up. But a F is a F.

Next matter... you need a goal. Without a goal to aim for, your willpower and brain won't understand why you're taking this punishment for, as a result, it reflects in your grades.

Why are you in college? To get a job or a career? There's a difference between the two. Every boss has tons of people who show up to work just for the paycheck, and others who love their careers and enjoy what they do. Find out what you're trying to shoot for, and set that as your major goal. To reach that major goal, start breaking it down and determine what mini goals you need to accomplish to reach that.

If you're uncertain what career to aim for, then try many different classes. See what perks your interest. See your career developement center, they have surveys/systems to determine what potential careers fall into your skills or personality.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 16:37   Link #215
GoTz
Deleted
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate it a lot and I am going to take your advice. I just realized, I really have no idea why I'm in school when you asked if I had goals.
__________________

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 05:21   Link #216
slayer
essense
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Send a message via MSN to slayer
Man gotz you got it rough man.. but yeah i'm in my first year of uni and I ain't liking it too much. I have to drop a course because well yeah I suck with numbers and I took a course with numbers (hydrology). It will show a W but yeah i'm not going to dig too deeply in myself for that. I think I did bad on my anthro exam and I am lacking in my geog exam I think.

blah. Gotz, I think you should drop that course if it is going to put you in jeporday of your major. If you are planning on going on to uni then drop it like it's hot. I'm droping my hydrology course because I have no confidence in getting a 65 which is what I need to be in academic good standing for my major.
__________________


Servin' up hot neg's since '04
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 06:54   Link #217
GoTz
Deleted
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yeah, I know but it's my own fault...I'm young and naive and put hanging out with the friends before my school work. Going drunk to class at 7:00 AM isn't the brightest thing to do, especially when it jeopardizes your whole future

I already dropped the course and feel like hanging myself at the moment. Who knows though, maybe it was a good thing, it sure did enlighten me a bit about how to carry on with my schooling. It'll be a lesson most definately learned if it endagers me not moving on to a university.

The only reason I went to a community college was pretty much because I knew I'd do something stupid like this and rather pay a much cheaper price for my stupidity.
__________________

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 07:06   Link #218
slayer
essense
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Send a message via MSN to slayer
your luxury goes to hell in uni.. esp if you just came out of high school.. fucking digusting.. all you highschoolers work hard and don't slack i swear to god uni will rape you and have a blast on your last year cuz you ain't gettin shit at uni.
__________________


Servin' up hot neg's since '04
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 07:32   Link #219
GoTz
Deleted
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
lol that's exactly how i looked at it

school sucks...then you go to school some more, what a terrible price to pay for all your "hard work" in high school haha
__________________

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 08:01   Link #220
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
I applied for the University of Michigan and the Lyman Briggs school of science (part of Michigan State). I hope I get in!
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.