AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-09-13, 01:26   Link #81
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
^so what is your theory? How are they connected?
Old 2013-09-13, 09:59   Link #82
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

^
I think Rebecca is a D..The void century happened 800 years ago. The feud has been happening for 900 years. If Daflamingo is truly a celestial dragon, then that makes him the decedent of the 20 kingdoms who fought against the Ancients during the void century. That would explains why the Tontatta Clan's feud with Donquixo family lasted 900. I wonder if the Tontatta Clan was an ally to the Ancients back then during war with the 20 Kingdoms? What do they know has of right now, what kind of legend has been passed down, or surviving relic do they possess? What role do they play in the Rikku family and its tragedy? Has for Scarlett the only connection I have is the last dying action all D. do when they die (they smile). Maybe Oda is giving us a hint, screwing with my mind, or I am just looking into this a little to much. I find it curious why Oda penned Scarlett that way and showed us her face. He did not have to show Scarlets body at all to tell us she didn't make it, but he did. Has for Luffy its his D. that connects him to the void century. If this story is going the way I think its going then Rebecca might be a D. and there might be some more back story behind the void century. I wonder if the Tontatta Clan know the location of a Poneglyh.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 18:32   Link #83
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
Didn't he already provoke Luffy when he said this stuff about Ace and the Mera Mera no Mi last chapter via Den Den Mushi

But you have a point. The BB Pirates are hunting strong DF Powers and with Burgess' presence it is indicated that they want the Mera Mera no Mi.
On the streets, trash-talking isn't quite the same as throwing a punch. Especially when you're the one who turned in a guy's bro. Just transfer everything over to the One Piece world now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
^
I think Rebecca is a D..The void century happened 800 years ago. The feud has been happening for 900 years. If Daflamingo is truly a celestial dragon, then that makes him the decedent of the 20 kingdoms who fought against the Ancients during the void century. That would explains why the Tontatta Clan's feud with Donquixo family lasted 900. I wonder if the Tontatta Clan was an ally to the Ancients back then during war with the 20 Kingdoms? What do they know has of right now, what kind of legend has been passed down, or surviving relic do they possess? What role do they play in the Rikku family and its tragedy? Has for Scarlett the only connection I have is the last dying action all D. do when they die (they smile). Maybe Oda is giving us a hint, screwing with my mind, or I am just looking into this a little to much. I find it curious why Oda penned Scarlett that way and showed us her face. He did not have to show Scarlets body at all to tell us she didn't make it, but he did. Has for Luffy its his D. that connects him to the void century. If this story is going the way I think its going then Rebecca might be a D. and there might be some more back story behind the void century. I wonder if the Tontatta Clan know the location of a Poneglyh.
I'm not discounting your speculation, but the converse of a true statement is not always true.
D.-death => death-smile =/= death-smile => D.-death
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 19:41   Link #84
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
^
I think Rebecca is a D..... I wonder if the Tontatta Clan know the location of a Poneglyh.
Oooh, that kinda makes sense.
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 20:40   Link #85
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Unless!!!!!! Soldier-san is actually her father, gets turned back into a human and becomes the new king...BAM! Rebecca for Fire Logia Nakama still on!
It seems pretty obvious that Oda is setting up Rebecca as the recipient of the Mera Mera no Mi. It also seems likely that Oda would make the next Mera Mera no Mi holder a new crewmember. However, it doesn't seem like Oda is setting up Rebecca as a new nakama.
It's all so contradictory.

It's pure speculation on my behalf, but I think the editors are probably pushing for another kid-friendly, Chopper-type character for nakama right now. Maybe Momosuke stows away for adventure and Robin and Nami's PLOT, after the Wano Country arc; or even more likely, one of the super-powered dwarves like Leo or Wicca.
Don't get me wrong, I'd actually prefer another busty female crewmate (or Perona) to spice up the doujins; but I can totally see Jump pushing for more kids stuff.
Old 2013-09-13, 21:46   Link #86
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
It's pure speculation on my behalf, but I think the editors are probably pushing for another kid-friendly, Chopper-type character for nakama right now. Maybe Momosuke stows away for adventure and Robin and Nami's PLOT, after the Wano Country arc; or even more likely, one of the super-powered dwarves like Leo or Wicca.
Don't get me wrong, I'd actually prefer another busty female crewmate (or Perona) to spice up the doujins; but I can totally see Jump pushing for more kids stuff.

I dunno..... I don't really see much of a point in adding what's basically a Chopper 2.0 to the main cast. I mean, sure, such a character is great for merchandising, but what purpose would they have for the plot in the long run? Say what you will about Chopper, but him being a doctor is kind of a darn crucial role for him in the crew. What role can another "mascot" character fulfill that none of the other Straw-Hats are incapable of pulling off? To me, THAT'S the biggest question that should come to mind when considering a new candidate for the crew (and yes, that also includes any and all busty female candidates ).

Oh, and I still don't see any point in adding a Logia to the crew, either. They got as far as they did without one so far, so why do they need one now? Why bother "fixing" something that was never broken in the first place?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 22:45   Link #87
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

The editors are pushing Oda to do something? That's a laugh...last I heard Oda's editors just stand around doing nothing other than take the manuscripts to be printed. I believe One Piece has gotten to a point where Oda just does what he wants and rarely do people have any say on the matter.

That said...your theory of the next nakama possibly being a Chopper 2.0 to attract the kids and whatnot, still stands if that is what Oda believes is the best course of action for the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and I still don't see any point in adding a Logia to the crew, either. They got as far as they did without one so far, so why do they need one now? Why bother "fixing" something that was never broken in the first place?
In the NW the Logia aren't as hot as they were in Paradise...there a Logia was impossible to kill but in the NW every other guy has strong enough Haki to kick a Logia's ass with ease (just look at Caribou). Besides, a freshly new Logia (even if the fruit itself is powerful) isn't exactly going to be the strongest of fighters just yet. Let's take Rebecca for example, even if she were to get the Mera Mera she'd still not be at Monster Trio Level, at least not for a long time.

Let's face it, with the introduction of Haki and so many powerful Haki users, Logia are now just stronger Paramecia. Hell, Zoan seems more threatening now considering their awakened forms and myth types.

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 01:11   Link #88
LeoThugs
Ero Sennin the Second

Send a message via Yahoo to LeoThugs
Quote:
It's the same. Just compare the landscape in the background.
yes I see it now. I guess I was temporarily blinded. Now that makes me wonder if Scotch is strong enough to defeat Drake? What is happening here in Oda-verse?
LeoThugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 04:23   Link #89
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
On the streets, trash-talking isn't quite the same as throwing a punch. Especially when you're the one who turned in a guy's bro. Just transfer everything over to the One Piece world now.
In my eyes, especially when you turned in a guy's bro, there's no going back. And in the streets you'd be in for a serious beating, if not more, after such a stunt.
What I found interesting is the fact, that Blackbeard believes, Burgess is enough to take the fruit. Either he underestimates Luffy or places a lot of trust in his Fleet Captain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoThugs
yes I see it now. I guess I was temporarily blinded. Now that makes me wonder if Scotch is strong enough to defeat Drake? What is happening here in Oda-verse?
Scotch is one of a Yonko's henchmen. He must be quite though. On the other hand, we don't know, if Drake was defeated or if they came to some sort of agreement - although it didn't look like it when Drake transformed
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 10:29   Link #90
philip72

Quote:
I dunno..... I don't really see much of a point in adding what's basically a Chopper 2.0 to the main cast. I mean, sure, such a character is great for merchandising
Yeah, there wouldn't be a point, just as you said, pure merchandising. Someone else the under-12 fans (Jumps future consumers) can relate with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
The editors are pushing Oda to do something? That's a laugh...last I heard Oda's editors just stand around doing nothing other than take the manuscripts to be printed.
Well, by 'pushing' I meant more along the lines of Jump management encouraging their peons to say "Gosh Mr. Oda, Sir, my kid sure loves Wicca/Momosuke/Leo", ad nauseam.

Of course Oda will do whatever the hell he wants, and I don't have an inside track on Jump, this is all just pure speculation on my behalf. I just know how many entertainment publishing companies think, and I'm projecting that onto Jump.
Old 2013-09-14, 16:28   Link #91
BPD Renegade

Quote:
In my eyes, especially when you turned in a guy's bro, there's no going back. And in the streets you'd be in for a serious beating, if not more, after such a stunt.
What I found interesting is the fact, that Blackbeard believes, Burgess is enough to take the fruit. Either he underestimates Luffy or places a lot of trust in his Fleet Captain.
But keep in mind that two years have passed. Sure, the desire to beat the $h*t out of him would still be there, but it would be in a more latent, biding one's time manner, rather than a bloodrush to the head one. Although since it's Luffy we're talking about...

As for Burgess, I'm thinking a little of both. Two years have passed, so Burgess must have powered up as well, and last Blackbeard saw Luffy, Luffy was just an ant scrambling amongst giants.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 21:29   Link #92
Veviticus

Looking at the steadfast tin soldier story, I wonder if rebecca knows how to dance. Her fighting style probably involves her speed and creating afterimages which gives her the phantom princess or illusionary princess title. We might have a dancer to go with our musician.

That or she lives with the toy soldier... or die in a fire together.
Old 2013-09-14, 21:54   Link #93
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Yea, I'm betting her fighting style makes it look like she's dancing...it just matches the theme of her plot so far (the Steadfast Tin Soldier and so on).

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 22:45   Link #94
marvelB

Quote:
Of course Oda will do whatever the hell he wants, and I don't have an inside track on Jump, this is all just pure speculation on my behalf. I just know how many entertainment publishing companies think, and I'm projecting that onto Jump.

From the couple interviews with Oda's editors I read, it seemed to me that they respect him well enough to not push him into pandering for the sake of profit (in fact, from what I read it kinda seems more like he's the one bossing THEM around, lol ).

Personally, it's not like I'm against having another cute demi-human or attractive lady joining the crew, but I just feel that they'd need a certain special something that would make them stand out, y'know? To suddenly have a new member with no particularly special qualities (aside from their looks) slapped onto the main cast would ultimately feel rushed and forced, and that...... just wouldn't feel right, no matter how many toys modeled after that character sells, IMO.

(And before anyone brings up Robin, even SHE had some development and part of her past strongly hinted before she joined, so she's no exception, either.)

---------

Anyways, to go back on topic: I'm still crossing my fingers for the Fighting Lion to be the D-block winner!
Old 2013-09-15, 05:08   Link #95
philip72

Quote:
From the couple interviews with Oda's editors I read, it seemed to me that they respect him well enough to not push him into pandering for the sake of profit (in fact, from what I read it kinda seems more like he's the one bossing THEM around, lol ).
Well that's great to hear. I really hope that's true and not just jingoistic editorial mendacity la "Oda works 20 hour days".

Quote:
Personally, it's not like I'm against having another cute demi-human or attractive lady joining the crew, but I just feel that they'd need a certain special something that would make them stand out, y'know? To suddenly have a new member with no particularly special qualities (aside from their looks) slapped onto the main cast would ultimately feel rushed and forced, and that...... just wouldn't feel right, no matter how many toys modeled after that character sells, IMO.
To tell the truth, I'm still not sold on Brooke and feel that he has no particularly special qualities aside from looks. Maybe because he's under-utilized.
For me, aside from Jinbe, only Perona and Bon Clay have that special something that would make them stand out. But I'm low-brow enough that adding a little more PLOT to the cast wouldn't wreck my enjoyment.

And who knows, it'd only take Oda one chapter to turn Rebecca from generic to unique (but I'm not counting on it).
Old 2013-09-15, 10:20   Link #96
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
To tell the truth, I'm still not sold on Brooke and feel that he has no particularly special qualities aside from looks. Maybe because he's under-utilized.
1) Brooke is the musician of the crew.

2) He has an eccentric fighting style (integrating music in his attacks to put people to sleep or hypnotize them, for example).

3) Being merely bones, he's light enough to run on water at fast speeds.

4) He's not exactly a swordsman, but more of a fencer that strikes with speed, finesse, and precision; so he distinguishes himself from Zoro in this aspect.

5) His DF ability allows him to extract his own soul from his body for investigative purposes.

That being said, I'd say he has enough going for him to set himself apart from the others in the crew. The problem lies in him being under-utilized, which I agree with.
Old 2013-09-15, 11:02   Link #97
philip72

I kinda meant more character-wise, he (for me anyhow) lacks that certain je ne sais quoi that marvelB was talking about. As far as his fighting style, DF ability, etcetera go, there are a plethora of other characters in the One Piece universe who are just as unique and extraordinary.
Nami, Zoro and Usopp have somewhat pedestrian abilities and looks as far as One Piece goes, but the force of their personalities and their foibles make them attractive characters.
Old 2013-09-15, 11:10   Link #98
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
5) His DF ability allows him to extract his own soul from his body for investigative purposes.
Which technically can be done better by Robin.

Though about the matter of people joining the crew: IMHO it's time for Luffy to gather a large group of people if he really wants the title of Pirate King.
The Yonkous seem have whole fleets under them, so to be a force to be taken serious, IMHO the Strawhats need to expand a lot.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 12:19   Link #99
JonSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0;
It's both probably. I wonder how BB would react after finding out that Luffy defeated his division commander and ended up getting the fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post

Though about the matter of people joining the crew: IMHO it's time for Luffy to gather a large group of people if he really wants the title of Pirate King.
The Yonkous seem have whole fleets under them, so to be a force to be taken serious, IMHO the Strawhats need to expand a lot.
He can start with the Happo navy and Barto club pirates.
Old 2013-09-15, 16:52   Link #100
marvelB

Quote:

While probably true to a certain extent, Robin kinda has a huge disadvantage in the sense that any pain dealt to her limbs/clones gets transmitted to her base body. At least Brooke wouldn't have that problem when it's his intangible soul that's floating around.

And while we're still on the subject of Brooke, Oda planned to have a skeleton join the crew since much earlier in the series' life. Heck, he even revealed some early concept art of who eventually became Brooke in OP Green:

Spoiler:

Now personally, his very character stuck out like a sore thumb to me when he was first introduced during Thriller Bark, but I can also kinda agree that he's been a bit underutilized. But I think that pretty much comes more from the difficulty of juggling between so many main characters than anything else, IMO.

Quote:

I think it's pretty much clear that Luffy will have a huge number of allies near the series' end. I mean, he always gains new friends who are indebted to him in just about every arc anyway, right?

But if you're talking about having what basically amounts to hundreds of new main characters joining..... well, see what I just said above about the difficulty of focusing on just a cast of NINE.