AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-13, 21:33   Link #21
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I like any Fred Astaire and Marx Brother Movies

Willow A great fantasy movie
Ghost Dog A movie an assassin
Old 2011-05-13, 23:26   Link #22
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

Megamind, which I love in spite of my hatred of Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Jonah Hill. It was funny! It was cool! They planted important things early in a way that wasn't painfully obvious! Not to mention, Megamind himself is pretty dang cool. But everyone I've shown it to was utterly unimpressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
I like any Fred Astaire and Marx Brother Movies
The poor Marx Brothers. I love them, but nobody else seems to like Groucho. Or Chico, for that matter. My little brother thinks Harpo is a scream, though.
Old 2011-05-13, 23:29   Link #23
Masuzu
サイアク、トキメキ、ヘンシン、コクハク
*Author

i liked the texas chainsaw massacre remake
Old 2011-05-13, 23:39   Link #24
james0246

There seems to be a misunderstanding of the purpose of this thread. The Marx Bros. and many Fred Astaire films are massively critically/culturally/socially/etc acclaimed. And, Megamind, Ghost Dog, Last Starfighter, and several others listed are all well regarded films. So, please do not include films that a friend may dislike, because that is not the purpose of this thread. Rather, liking films such as Avatar: the Last Airbender and wishing to express that regard is the purpose of this thread.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 04:17   Link #25
Irkalla
I asked for this

House of 1000 corpses! Everyone hated that, but I loved it. The sequel was a bit more acclaimed, I think.
Old 2011-05-14, 14:39   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
The title doesn't say "movies that you like but were hated by CRITICS..."

There are plenty of great movies that critics hated but most people loved, and there are loads of critically acclaimed films that everyone I know loathes... so the point of this thread is what now?

If it's about poorly rated movies then the title of the thread should be changed to reflect that.
Old 2011-05-14, 15:34   Link #27
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The title doesn't say "movies that you like but were hated by CRITICS..."

There are plenty of great movies that critics hated but most people loved, and there are loads of critically acclaimed films that everyone I know loathes... so the point of this thread is what now?

If it's about poorly rated movies then the title of the thread should be changed to reflect that.
Who knew critics didn't constitute a part of "everybody"?...

The guidelines for the thread were "you see a LOT of negativity...[in] Online reviews, a majority of opinions you see on forums, what your friends say [etc]...". If you can find a film that is sufficiently derided by "everybody" (i.e. bad scores on rottentomatoes and imdb, obvious negative backlash against the film, etc), but you like it, then please contribute to the discussion by posting your comments ("defense") of the film. Seems simple enough, right?

(Now, of course, there is a bit of a divide when it comes to how these films are viewed in foreign countries. For instance, I have no idea how Speed Racer was viewed in Japan (did the critics/audiences like the film? or hate it?). Consequently, there will always be a bit of a misunderstanding when discussing how these films are viewed considering that one country may have a stronger positive reaction to a film whereas another country may have a negative reaction.)

To use your contribution as an example, Last Starfighter has 74% on Rottentomatoes, a 6.4/10 on imdb, was a minor box-office success, etc. Hell, there is even a sequel in the works (ala Tron: Legacy). Consequently, it can't really be said that Last Starfighter is a film that "everybody hates"...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-14 at 16:36.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 17:20   Link #28
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
So the point is movies literally everyone hated. Okay, why did I bother posting... I don't watch movies so bad everybody hates them.
Old 2011-05-14, 22:21   Link #29
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
So the point is movies literally everyone hated. Okay, why did I bother posting... I don't watch movies so bad everybody hates them.
Well for example, Last Action Hero was literally "Bob-omb" at the box-office. Some people (critics) didn't like it (Rotten Tomatoes: 38%), but some are do because of cliches.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 22:52   Link #30
Rahan

Last Action Hero is awesome ! It's my favorite Arnold movie after Terminator 1 and 2.
Over here, it has also a bad reputation, but most of those who actually watched the movie liked it. (at least, from my personal experience)

Prince of Thieves (the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie) is not highly rated (can't call it "hated" though) either, but it has been a favorite of mine ever since it came out. And and as bad as Kevin Costner is, I like his Robin Hood better than Russell Crowe's who is very dull. Michael Kamen's soundtrack was so good it's the first record I ever bought with my own money. (and no, it wasn't because of the cheesy Bryan Adams song)

Oh, and when I was discovering Heroic Fantasy, I caught the beastmaster 2 on TV and loved it. (hey I was 11 years old).
I never dared rewatch it though. (rated 3.3 on imdb and 17% on Rotten Tomatoes)
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 00:51   Link #31
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

I didn't know my reference pool had to be so large. In that case, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still. It was the best role I've seen Keanu Reeves in since The Matrix. Plus, Kyle Chandler is a cool guy. It has a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 2011-05-15, 00:57   Link #32
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Prince of Thieves (the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie) is not highly rated (can't call it "hated" though) either, but it has been a favorite of mine ever since it came out. And and as bad as Kevin Costner is, I like his Robin Hood better than Russell Crowe's who is very dull.
And let's not forget that Waterworld (Rotten Tomatoes 42%, iMDB 5.8) which it had a same bad reputation (Box office 'Bob-omb', 4 Razzies including Worst actor 'Kevin Costner') as well.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 00:59   Link #33
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The Postman, which I remember seeing and hating, and then watching later and then actually liking it somewhat more... it grew on me a bit. I still like it on the "so bad it's good" basis, but it's better than Waterworld, anyway.

Wish we could get a good post-apocalypse that isn't Mad Max.
Old 2011-05-15, 01:31   Link #34
Masuzu
サイアク、トキメキ、ヘンシン、コクハク
*Author

Quote:
In that case, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.
yeah i liked that too, don't know why everybody came down so hard on it
Old 2011-05-15, 01:37   Link #35
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
yeah i liked that too, don't know why everybody came down so hard on it
There was a lot of general hate directed at it for the massively unsubtle Green Aesop dropped on your head like a ton of bricks.

The original was an anti-war film, and the remake is an anti... carbon dioxide film. Don't drive that SUV or aliens will come and wipe out your entire planet!

So yeah a lot of people were kind of RAEG-ing as a result.
Old 2011-05-15, 02:13   Link #36
Masuzu
サイアク、トキメキ、ヘンシン、コクハク
*Author

Quote:
There was a lot of general hate directed at it for the massively unsubtle Green Aesop dropped on your head like a ton of bricks.

The original was an anti-war film, and the remake is an anti... carbon dioxide film. Don't drive that SUV or aliens will come and wipe out your entire planet!

So yeah a lot of people were kind of RAEG-ing as a result.
i don't get why they were disappointed

the issue is relevant :/
Old 2011-05-15, 10:34   Link #37
sa547
*Author

Guilty pleasures: XXX: State of the Union and Stealth.
Old 2011-05-15, 13:00   Link #38
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Flash Gordon. A Campy Sci-Fi film that failed in the US box office but was a major hit in the UK where it's still considered a classic there.

Famous British actors like Timothy Dalton and BRIAN BLESSED? Check. Good Campy Feel? Check? Music by Queen? Check indeed!

Here's one of the bests scenes from the movie:
Spoiler for The Hawkmen VS Warrocket Ajax:
Old 2011-05-15, 14:16   Link #39
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
i don't get why they were disappointed

the issue is relevant :/
People don't like to be preached at, especially by their entertainment.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:27   Link #40
GundamFan0083

The Ninth Gate
Rotten tomatoes gives it a 41%, but I totally disagree.
The movie was akin to an H.P. Lovecraft story and thus was very appealing to me.

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)
I actually like this movie along with Battle Beyond the Stars.

Both are Roger Cormin grade B-flicks, but I enjoyed them for their total cheesyness and over-the-top bad acting.
It's a MST3000 thing.