AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 41 35.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 30.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 21.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-20, 01:34   Link #281
Claym0re
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
If Isayama will have guts to kill off Levi, he'll be my hero.

Not because I dislike Levi, I like him. But because he actually will do what he wants and not fans as it happens a lot and ruins the plot.
Beach would be a good example.
So far thats not the pattern he is following. Soldiers already died by the hundreds and he didn't even touch the main characters.

Instead he is introducing a bunch of minor characters, gives them a bit more screentime (which he chops away from the main characters) and kills them off in a 1 minute action scene.

Wth that the main characters importance are reduced and while there is some tension there is no real drama.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 05:39   Link #282
Zeydra
A random passerby
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 23
I believe there is a time and a place to kill off major characters, and that is often near the end of a story or at a huge turning point. I also believe killing Levi off right now would make no sense whatsoever, everything that has happened thus far has felt planned out and was often foreshadowed either in the form of tension building up over several episodes or little hints dropped in here and there. None of that so far has been pointing to Levi being the next to go as far as I can tell, and if anything I believe killing off one of the only people who can actually fight these transformed titans while being a normal human would actually hurt the series rather than help it.

There is a time and a place to kill major characters like Levi, and now is not that time in my opinion.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 08:15   Link #283
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 25
Oh I was not talking about right, but over all.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 12:08   Link #284
lateraldeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
As far as narrative conventions go, having a group of seasoned veterans escorting the newbie Chosen One is generally a death sentence. For example,

Spoiler for anime:

Spoiler for movies:
That's not the point.

The point is the author killing off characters that the viewers/readers like and are attached to. In this case being Petra (or maybe the whole Levi team) and Levi himself. Having the balls to do this, while risking possible results such as fan emotional backlashes, drop in the manga viewership/rating that could cost him his serialization or maybe even death threats is what we mean by "guts".
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 21:05   Link #285
Zburator
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
As far as narrative conventions go, having a group of seasoned veterans escorting the newbie Chosen One is generally a death sentence. For example,

Spoiler for anime:

Spoiler for movies:
Killing characters who would should be killed off to fill some sort of trope/cliche seems hardly ballsy to me. In fact it sounds rather silly to kill a character JUST for that. Killing core, lovable characters in a series like this a is simply a neccesity to properly reflect the brutal nature of the universe, but that doesn't mean it needs to be Levi or Erwin.

Killing off characters like Mikasa or Armin should also be a possibility. You know how they say it, it's always the young that die in war.
Zburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 01:23   Link #286
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 25
I just fail to see why killing of Petra has been such a big deal. She was about as bland a character as they come. Not only that, she (and team Levi), were introduced specifically in the FT arc to be fowl that could be sliced 'n diced without setting of alarm bells in PETA. I can say, quite honestly, that I would have been far more upset if Rico (white haired, glasses) had died. In any case, killing of Petra (and the rest) was not gutsy. Not at all in fact. Think about it, they introduced these characters pretty much to be killed in this arc. If it were characters carried over from other arcs (hence, why I mentioned Rico), it would have had a much greater impact, and seemed much more 'gutsy', IMHO.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 02:55   Link #287
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
I just fail to see why killing of Petra has been such a big deal. She was about as bland a character as they come. Not only that, she (and team Levi), were introduced specifically in the FT arc to be fowl that could be sliced 'n diced without setting of alarm bells in PETA. I can say, quite honestly, that I would have been far more upset if Rico (white haired, glasses) had died. In any case, killing of Petra (and the rest) was not gutsy. Not at all in fact. Think about it, they introduced these characters pretty much to be killed in this arc. If it were characters carried over from other arcs (hence, why I mentioned Rico), it would have had a much greater impact, and seemed much more 'gutsy', IMHO.
Same. I just care for when will ERen be a tough boss Titan and not a protected "specimen"..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 07:36   Link #288
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 25
Same here, don't understand all this love for Petra. She was the same as everyone else in Levi's squad. She did not stand out in any way.

And to be frank Mikasa/Armin are the only characters I'm not worried for at all.
Mikasa is a main heroine, she is almost as important as Eren. And Eren will never die, at least not until last chapter.

Armin is a brain which actually pushes series forward. Some people call him Isayama's voice since he is the one who explains most of the things in the story and keeps them moving. Kill him off and story will stop.

It is characters like Jean, Ymir, Christa, Bertholdt, Reiner, Zoe, Sasha and so on that I'm worried about.

For time being Levi, Erwin and Hanji are safe.
Hanji is a brain and until she makes some big titan discovery you can't really kill her since there are no other scientists around.
Erwin is a boss and there is no one to replace him at this point of time.
Levi is power, he's only replacement is Mikasa. But going by FT arc she clearly is not ready to replace him yet.

Unless Isayama wants to create a bigger chaos, they are safe for now.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 13:04   Link #289
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
the love for Petra can be explained by these:
- not a sausage character
- doesn't have abs and not a yandere
- not a Titan
- not a glutton
- doesn't have Titan fetish
- is good-looking
- and stands out more than Christa in the series for now
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 13:19   Link #290
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
the love for Petra can be explained by these:
- not a sausage character
- doesn't have abs and not a yandere
- not a Titan
- not a glutton
- doesn't have Titan fetish
- is good-looking
- and stands out more than Christa in the series for now
She could have had them, we just haven't seen them
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 13:21   Link #291
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 25
She mos likely did, but suttle. Pretty hard to imagine a soldier with no muscles.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 13:29   Link #292
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post
So far thats not the pattern he is following. Soldiers already died by the hundreds and he didn't even touch the main characters.

Instead he is introducing a bunch of minor characters, gives them a bit more screentime (which he chops away from the main characters) and kills them off in a 1 minute action scene.

Wth that the main characters importance are reduced and while there is some tension there is no real drama.
I agree with this. If you follow his pattern closely none of important characters actually die yet.

But I don't think Levi is that important. IMHO He's there for Mikasa to succeed. He could die at any time.
Okay Okay stop throwing things at me

To me, real major characters would be top ten cadets + Armin&Ymir.
Yes, Marco died but he's extremely minor compare to other.
If any more of them actually die again then we will talk. I'm looking at you Riener.
I doubt Annie will just die here as well. We will see about this soon ^^"



However I disagree that keep introducing a bunch of new character (and kill them off) is bad.
It make the world feel more alive, more real. people come and go. You are waging frigging war against man eating giant after all.
It is way better than the story where the whole world is circled around the protagonists and everyone just rely on them.
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 17:36   Link #293
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
She could have had them, we just haven't seen them
She probably had them. Elite soldier, after all.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 12:30   Link #294
lateraldeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
I just fail to see why killing of Petra has been such a big deal. She was about as bland a character as they come. Not only that, she (and team Levi), were introduced specifically in the FT arc to be fowl that could be sliced 'n diced without setting of alarm bells in PETA. I can say, quite honestly, that I would have been far more upset if Rico (white haired, glasses) had died. In any case, killing of Petra (and the rest) was not gutsy. Not at all in fact. Think about it, they introduced these characters pretty much to be killed in this arc. If it were characters carried over from other arcs (hence, why I mentioned Rico), it would have had a much greater impact, and seemed much more 'gutsy', IMHO.
Again, it's not about whether killing characters that are meant to die that makes it guts or not. It's about killing off characters audience like. Obviously not every single person in the world is going to like Petra, but there are certainly more people who likes Petra than Rico. Maybe cause she was "nicer" to Eren than Rico, maybe there's this possiblility of a ship with Levi and people like a little romance here and there. Whatever the reason, she's more well liked.

Of course the people who doesn't care for her wouldn't give a crap if she died. Not everyone's going to like a character equally. I'm your opposite. I could careless if Rico died and I can tell you that you wouldn't see fans doing "memorial service" to her on the net anywhere near as much as Petra. So in that respect it's not as gutsy to kill Rico off.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is it's guts to kill off characters the general audience like, regardless if it's Petra, Mikasa, Erwin, or whoever. More people like a character, more guts that becomes because you are risking more potential backlash from the audience. Why people like Petra is another discussion, but you can't deny that a ton of people do like her.

Might not mean much coming from someone who's bias toward Petra but, even if i didn't care for Petra, I'll still argue for this point because this is just a fact of life "cause and effect".



And ya all the females in the recon corp has to have Mikasa level or even more defined muscles even if not shown.

I'll be surprised if any girl in the Military Police have any muscle to speak of. Annie aside since she just joined and hasn't gotten the time to slack off yet.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 10:09   Link #295
moncikoma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
She could have had them, we just haven't seen them
no she isnt, her battle skill is weak only 6/10

mikasa is 10/10
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 10:21   Link #296
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
no she isnt, her battle skill is weak only 6/10

mikasa is 10/10
Battle skill has nothing to do with how much her muscles have been trained. Battle skill is just how good she can fight. If you have a weak body, but know how to use it as efficiently as possible in battle you can also have a high battle skill. I'm not even including all the other factors which can influence it, like reaction speed, environment awareness, creativity.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 10:24   Link #297
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 25
Every soldier has muscles because all of them go through physical training. Without muscles they'll be weak.

So yes Petra also had muscles, not as big as Mikasa's but she still had them.

Petra couldn't possibly have a body of a normal high school girl. That's simply impossible.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 11:12   Link #298
Kinali
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post

It is characters like Jean, Ymir, Christa, Bertholdt, Reiner, Zoe, Sasha and so on that I'm worried about.

Jean will not die. He's Isayama's favorite character and he'll make sure fans like him. Not sure about the rest though.
Kinali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 11:20   Link #299
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 25
Just because author likes the character, doesn't mean their life is not in danger.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 09:58   Link #300
moncikoma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinali View Post
Jean will not die. He's Isayama's favorite character and he'll make sure fans like him. Not sure about the rest though.
that uma kao?

i doubt it...

People, who can't throw something important away, can never hope to change anything. — Armin Arelet

as long my mikasa, sasha, and annie is safe i dont give a damn who dies
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the reveal

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.