AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-02-09, 02:56   Link #181
NutShell

^ compare this and sao are kind meh
just watch new pv that was good
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 03:46   Link #182
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

This is really not Sword Art Online. Tatsuya isn't like Kirito and Miyuki isn't like Asuna.

I think <<HanaKana>> can do Mayumi, but it's still way above the diagonal. I didn't expect it is too much of an understatement.
Old 2014-02-09, 10:01   Link #183
pampz21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
This is really not Sword Art Online. Tatsuya isn't like Kirito and Miyuki isn't like Asuna.

I think <<HanaKana>> can do Mayumi, but it's still way above the diagonal. I didn't expect it is too much of an understatement.
Asuna is more like Erika after all; only much better
Well i dont like HanaKana being haughty; its one of Mayumi's trait when I watch Jessica from EVOL I didnt like one bit; Its like forcing herself to a role shes uncomfortable with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Wait, WHAT??? Please, just please don't compare this to SAO, they are not even close. It's like comparing Twilight to The Lord of The Rings, they aren't even in the same category except for being an anime adapted from a LN
damn bro; why compare it to twilight; there are people who consider twilight as gay you know; well if I would rank this LN vs SAO; I still think SAO isnt as good Mahouka due to SAO have useless battle; unlike Mahouka there isnt one because its over before you know it!
pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 11:36   Link #184
Ultragunner

seriously speaking, I don't mind movie about gay (sorry if I offended anyone), it's just Twilight tries too hard in many ridiculous ways to be something good.

Ok, the following is a wall of text, it may digress from the thread but please let me add it. This is for anyone thinking that SAO is similar to Mahouka

Spoiler for SAO is....:

What I'm trying to say is, a series at first needs to do what it's required first, this is heavily dependent on the setting. Only when it has a solid ground, then other things can be built up, and Mahouka can just delivers it (while SAO fails to do so IMO).

For those who are wondering "what is this series about", "is it worth watching?" then perhaps I can help you.

_ First of all, this is NOT a classic shounen show where the focus of the story is about the MC getting stronger with all the friendship thingies.
_ As in the intro says, the world in Mahouka is set in the future where magic is real. Unlike in other shows (like Negima, Index), magic is a technology and a science which is not taken lightly, a tool that is heavily used in military and a primary drive behind the insane arm-race between nations.
_ The focus of the story is how one with such power (magic) will live in such world.
_ There is romance, but at a minimum level where it just helps create depth to the characters.
_ No useless drama, (you may interpret this in anyway you see)

And many more.

If you're looking for a harem show like DxD, or a horror and action-densed like Attack on Titan, you may not find this appealing.
Old 2014-02-09, 14:18   Link #185
BW95
Banned

Quote:
seriously speaking, I don't mind movie about gay (sorry if I offended anyone), it's just Twilight tries too hard in many ridiculous ways to be something good.

Ok, the following is a wall of text, it may digress from the thread but please let me add it. This is for anyone thinking that SAO is similar to Mahouka

Spoiler for SAO is....:

What I'm trying to say is, a series at first needs to do what it's required first, this is heavily dependent on the setting. Only when it has a solid ground, then other things can be built up, and Mahouka can just delivers it (while SAO fails to do so IMO).

For those who are wondering "what is this series about", "is it worth watching?" then perhaps I can help you.

_ First of all, this is NOT a classic shounen show where the focus of the story is about the MC getting stronger with all the friendship thingies.
_ As in the intro says, the world in Mahouka is set in the future where magic is real. Unlike in other shows (like Negima, Index), magic is a technology and a science which is not taken lightly, a tool that is heavily used in military and a primary drive behind the insane arm-race between nations.
_ The focus of the story is how one with such power (magic) will live in such world.
_ There is romance, but at a minimum level where it just helps create depth to the characters.
_ No useless drama, (you may interpret this in anyway you see)

And many more.

If you're looking for a harem show like DxD, or a horror and action-densed like Attack on Titan, you may not find this appealing.
In short, this isn't the type of show where characters shout out the name of their attacks. Things are kept as realistic and consistent as possible under fictional settings. Romance is secondary, but this show is not recommended for those with any sort of heart condition and if you do then it's recommended that you keep your medication within arm's reach when watching. A lesser fan would call the main character a gary stu, but 80% of his battles are won under highly disadvantageous circumstances.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 19:44   Link #186
Lexxus
No you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post

Uh-oh. That skirt is WAY too long. At most, it's just supposed to cover the knees.
Do we have any images for other characters?

my anime list kuroneko my manga list
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 22:20   Link #187
ReinhartX

As someone who read the LN... i honestly hope this does not become overhyped and mainstream like SAO and SNK... i liked those 2 shows as well but their value seems to have degraded overtime due to bandwagon hoppers
ReinhartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 22:40   Link #188
Dekomori Sanae
Twintail Twister!

Quote:
_ As in the intro says, the world in Mahouka is set in the future
A very grim future where society has regressed back to the middle ages, all being inhibited Puritans again. I don't want to know where else society has regressed there. What a horrible way to live. I certainly do hope such a grim future will never happen.
(Or is this situated somewhere in the Middle East, Iran/Iraq or something? Then the clothes would fit in... however, that way, why aren't the girls wearing those awful headscarves?)
Dekomori Sanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 23:10   Link #189
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

Spoiler for HOLY SH-:
Old 2014-02-10, 08:02   Link #190
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinhartX View Post
As someone who read the LN... i honestly hope this does not become overhyped and mainstream like SAO and SNK... i liked those 2 shows as well but their value seems to have degraded overtime due to bandwagon hoppers
So true in a way. Though it's not the amount of hype, but the type of hype, some of which is senseless. And adding to the problem is that most fans fanatics refuse to see the 'bad' and the 'weaknesses' their favorite series (and every series will) have, and too quick to jump to their defense without thinking through it. In my humble opinion this day, it's quite pointless to defend a series against pre-judgments and first impressions (though some of these that come from either herd mentality or misguided comparisons or groundless prejudice that don't pass through the conscious brain do create some angst here and there, even for me). At any rate, defending a series before it even airs with a flood of information or with a "I'm going to tell you why this is this and that" attitude will just turn off more people. My 2 cents *whistles* .

Though I'm kind of surprised at Reckoner's not so negative comment on this series

I was of two minds whether to do this or not (frankly, it might have been an easier decision to make in the days of cookies ). Anyhow, after listening to the opinions of so many readers, let's find out what the staff has to say about it. (P.S: This is an act of goodwill from me. Please do not flame me if you feel like I've 'over-summarized' or butchered anything. I omitted stuff that's not so interesting or a bother to translate. ) I opted to put it here in this thread since all this info is available on the official anime website.
Spoilers
Spoiler for message/interview summary of staff/cast from official website
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Hopes this adds some value to the anime-only viewers.
Old 2014-02-10, 08:21   Link #191
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
So true in a way. Though it's not the amount of hype, but the type of hype, some of which is senseless. And adding to the problem is that most fans fanatics refuse to see the 'bad' and the 'weaknesses' their favorite series (and every series will) have, and too quick to jump to their defense without thinking through it. In my humble opinion this day, it's quite pointless to defend a series against pre-judgments and first impressions (though some of these that come from either herd mentality or misguided comparisons or groundless prejudice that don't pass through the conscious brain do create some angst here and there, even for me). At any rate, defending a series before it even airs with a flood of information or with a "I'm going to tell you why this is this and that" attitude will just turn off more people. My 2 cents *whistles* .

Though I'm kind of surprised at Reckoner's not so negative comment on this series

I was of two minds whether to do this or not (frankly, it might have been an easier decision to make in the days of cookies ). Anyhow, after listening to the opinions of so many readers, let's find out what the staff has to say about it. (P.S: This is an act of goodwill from me. Please do not flame me if you feel like I've 'over-summarized' or butchered anything. I omitted stuff that's not so interesting or a bother to translate. ) I opted to put it here in this thread since all this info is available on the official anime website.
Spoilers
Well, bad and weakness were subjective to begin with. Anyway, thanks for the translation!
Old 2014-02-10, 09:46   Link #192
pampz21
Banned

Quote:

Spoilers
Tys larethian...well "you wont know unless you read it"
Wow reading UchiYumi-san do her best, I guess ima cheer her on....

The cast looks pretty hype, I just hope they wont disappoint us

Last edited by pampz21; 2014-02-10 at 11:00.
Old 2014-02-10, 10:37   Link #193
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:

Spoilers
I'm surprised so few of them mentioned the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki, then again, the magic system is something else. Hopefully the anime delivers in that regard.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 10:48   Link #194
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijigawa View Post

Spoiler for HOLY SH-:
This looks like a classroom-setting show for explaining the magic mechanics (though I'm not sure when and where they are going to air this).
Old 2014-02-10, 10:59   Link #195
pampz21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I'm surprised so few of them mentioned the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki, then again, the magic system is something else. Hopefully the anime delivers in that regard.
Yeah; I think the other seiyuus are slacking off; they didnt even comment one bit about their character whos theyre portraying#!
Only a NakaYuu,HayaSaori and UchiYumi are the only one who I think really read or had grasp their roles#!

And I like UchiYumi's comment....How could you make Erika more charming ; Im looking forward to the Original PV where the characters are really talking thru their voice#!

PS: Im not really fan of the series; more like im fan of the character in the series#!

Last edited by pampz21; 2014-02-10 at 14:48.
Old 2014-02-10, 12:14   Link #196
BW95
Banned

Quote:
This looks like a classroom-setting show for explaining the magic mechanics (though I'm not sure when and where they are going to air this).
Either at the end of every episode or separately as a short.
Old 2014-02-10, 14:00   Link #197
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Hey now, it's cautious praise since I've only read the first 4-5 volumes of this series !

But you're very right about the type of hype. I am not one of the people who thought Sword Art Online was the most terrible thing ever, just pretty average, but the environment of hype just did not help.

The one thing source readers tend to do in any series that is hyped, and I found this to be especially true in the adaption of Little Busters for example, is once people rightfully criticize aspects of the work, they start attributing it to a failure of the adaption. The source material is always sacred and it cannot possibly be the author's fault! Sorry to say though, this is often quite false and sometimes anime tend to actually improve upon the original in certain ways.

Between the hipsters who just want to be contrarians for the sake of it, and the over zealous fans who are quick to desecrate the anime in defense of the original, it becomes hard to really understand the true merits and faults of a given work. The insane hyperbole going around SAO was not a pretty moment for the fandom in my point of view, and I really hope Mahouka can avoid this too.

I like Mahouka more than most LN's of its type mainly because I feel it doesn't toss away its side characters like trash and does not suffer as much from bloat of female love interests for the main character who just seem to grow on endlessly. Granted again, I never did make it very far into the LN's. I'll refrain from saying more because it's best if we just don't poison the well for anime viewers.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 19:36   Link #198
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Yeah; I think the other seiyuus are slacking off; they didnt even comment one bit about their character whos theyre portraying#!
Only a NakaYuu,HayaSaori and UchiYumi are the only one who I think really read or had grasp their roles#!

And I like UchiYumi's comment....How could you make Erika more charming ; Im looking forward to the Original PV where the characters are really talking thru their voice#!

PS: Im not really fan of the series; more like im fan of the character in the series#!
It's not that. I just didn't translate them
Old 2014-02-10, 20:15   Link #199
Valky
ともだち

Hanazawa Kana as Mayumi is kinda, well, unexpected. I was expecting Kitamura Eri. Hanazawa is a great VA, but her voice's image is different from Mayumi's teasing and somewhat youthful attitude, in my mind anyway lol.

Still, I'm very excited for Spring!
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 21:00   Link #200
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Hanazawa Kana as Mayumi is kinda, well, unexpected. I was expecting Kitamura Eri. Hanazawa is a great VA, but her voice's image is different from Mayumi's teasing and somewhat youthful attitude, in my mind anyway lol.

Still, I'm very excited for Spring!
Try to listen to Zessica Wong from early Aquarion EVOL and you will get an idea of what Hanazawa Kana's teasing is like.

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, magic, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural