AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-09, 10:49   Link #941
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
This isn't it. I recommend watching the first of those chibi explanation episodes to clear it up slightly. The blooms aren't necessarily the better students. They also didn't necessarily do better in the entrance exam. The main point distinguishing weeds and blooms are their performance in the practical field. I posted it a couple of pages back, the entrance exam consists of two parts, a theoretical and a practical part, whereby the latter is graded higher. Just take Tatsuya, he has one of the highest theoretical scores, that should qualify him as a good student. But as his performance in the practical field wasn't top-notch, he dropped into the second class. Practical performance in magic, however, is as far as I have understood dependent on your raw talent. So it is very well possible that some, or many, blooms are in fact inferior in academics or effort than the weeds and only ended up in the higher class because they were lucky to have been born with a higher affinity for magic.
Aha.

...Oh my god, this is like jocks vs nerds, isn't it? (Gross oversimplification, I know.)

In short, it's the difference between those with innate natural talent, and those who have to grind, and the teachers are focusing on the ones with natural talent. Correct?

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:50   Link #942
Verisimilitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Aha.

...Oh my god, this is like jocks vs nerds, isn't it? (Gross oversimplification, I know.)

In short, it's the difference between those with innate natural talent, and those who have to grind, and the teachers are focusing on the ones with natural talent. Correct?
More like there's a lack of teachers, so naturally they allocate the few they have to the more talented students.
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:53   Link #943
XFire
Harem Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
So... Genuine question from someone who does not know much about this work: where does all the hype for this come from? I'm genuinely a bit puzzled. Not saying that is bad so far- my limited impression so far is that of a pretty average, somewhat generic LN adaption (as LN adaptions tend to be.) - nothing special, but probably enough to warrant a three episode test.
So I'm confused! Is this a hidden gem? Is it worth watching for someone who despises SAO, Log Horizon any of the romance/slice of life shows and the vast majority of LN/ LN-adaption types?
Am I going to be blown away by the hidden depth of this?

So far my major, (unconfirmed of course, just a first impression) sources of potential future annoyance are the somewhat bland design, oniisama, generic-seeming cast and a potentially wish-fulfilment protagonist, potential of overwhelmingly featuring a school setting and little of the plot hinted at in the first minute or so. If it turns out like that, I probably won't last long xD
What interested me were the first few minutes, the redhead and the setting itself.

That said, I don't necessarily mind a well-written "incest" plot, unlike most people. Although the chances of coming by a well-written one are close to zero, so yeah, generally bro/siscons serve as a major turnoff, due to the way anime handles them a la oreimo. So far, so good though.
Mahouka has been hyped because nearly everyone who lasts more than one arc in fell in love with the series and became super-excited about the anime. The same thing happened with SAO, and led to the exact same reaction. People who didn't like parts of it (bro-con, mostly) made a couple of complaints, and people who either had too much time on their hands or were annoyed at the perceived wanking made a huge deal out of those complaints.

So Miyuki being a brocon led to accusations of being the next Oreimo clone, and it being in a school made it an IS rip-off, and there being more than one major female character made it a generic harem.

There isn't a good way to answer your question with only one episode under the belt, but if you're really curious head to the LN forum and ask around for spoilers. Or go read the manga/LN yourself, and judge its worth.

Personally, I think the show is worth the hype. But I thought the same of SAO and Attack on Titan, so apparently I'm a main-streamer.
Old 2014-04-09, 10:53   Link #944
Tenzen12
Banned

Quote:
Aha.

It is completely possible for blooms to be excelent students, for school council is probably even requirment. It 's just that weeds NEED talent for something to even get into such elite school.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 11:14   Link #945
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Aha.

Not even that really. Not every weed chooses to bone up on brains to compensate. If that was enough to motivate kids to hit the books then the world would be a much better place.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 13:04   Link #946
Quol
Anime Lurker

The difference between Blooms and Weeds is very simple; difference in mastery of magic.
It doesnt matter what talent the person has as long as they excel in using general magic (although talent does help a lot), if they are the in the top 100 of their school in regards to using magic then they are a bloom.

A real life example of this would be a regular school, those that excel in taking tests and have superior grades will be put in advanced classes, while those that arent as good will stay in regular classes.

Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 13:07   Link #947
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Aha.

Maybe, maybe not. Think back to your own school days. In any group of student (even if it has only two members), for a given set of exams, there's a better half and a worse half. Can we really say anything about the makeup of either of those halves? No, you'll have slackers and hardworkers in both.

And about weeds being better rounded: just because the latter's grade are less good, it doesn't mean they have some other talent to compensate. Life isn't that fair.

Now imagine that one particular subject weighs heavily in the final average. Maybe... PE is 75% of the grade. Then you can say the better half is more athletic. Because with that ponderation, even if you're perfect in all other subjects, you just can't catch up if you're not good at sports.

Now you might ask: why go to such a school if you're not good at sports? But the thing is, all 200 students, Blooms and Weeds, actually are some kind of "elite". Compared to the guys who couldn't even get in. Blooms just tested better.

Now, the possible differences:
- in normal subjects, average talent and hard work will get you pretty good results. In magic, the genetic lottery may be more important...
- magic teachers are very scarce, so supplemental lessons probably aren't widely available. So coming from a magician's family - with magician parents or other relatives who can make some time guide you - may well be a huge advantage. Morisaki apparently come from a famous family, so does Saegusa... Then again, it's not everything: Erika comes from a Number family too, yet she's in Course 2.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2014-04-09 at 15:37.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 15:04   Link #948
Alesio33

A lot of stuff was left out and there were a few lose ends, but overall they did pretty well for the first episode.
In my opinion they decided to focus on the acction in contrast to the light novel that provided a lot of information. Random note: the brocon is strong in this one...

Last edited by Alesio33; 2014-04-09 at 15:16.
Alesio33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 15:06   Link #949
Quol
Anime Lurker

(Page 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I just fear SAO redux where anime-only viewers keep complaining that things don't make sense and novel readers try to explain the stuff that's left out, then it becomes a big flame war and half the posts get deleted because they contain too many spoilers.

I already feel sorry for the mods.
Its eerie how things work out so well...

Old 2014-04-09, 15:52   Link #950
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Oh lol all that "Let me explain how it works" stuff that the novel readers did in the SAO thread annoyed me to no end. I know a lot of them don't mean to be condescending, but they end up doing that regardless of whether they want to or not.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 16:04   Link #951
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesio33 View Post
A lot of stuff was left out and there were a few lose ends, but overall they did pretty well.
In my opinion they decided to focus on the acction in contrast to the light novel that provided a lot of information. Random note: the brocon is strong in this one...
It's possible that they'll use the chibi episodes for any future heavy duty explanations as well. That way the people who want to know can go look, and the people who don't care can avoid it being shoved in their faces.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 17:37   Link #952
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quol View Post
Yea the light novel has so much information in it that explaining everything would lead to no time in developments of the story itself. Your best bet is to just keep watching and using your own brain to connect details.

Also how is Tatsuya being unnatural? From what i see he is a stoic person with a soft spot for Miyuki, his personality has been fairly consistent.
By unnatural, I doesn't mean that his personality isn't consistent.....
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 17:53   Link #953
Quol
Anime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
By unnatural, I doesn't mean that his personality isn't consistent.....
You werent clear enough so i just took my best guess as to what you meant, could you explain what you meant by unnatural?

Old 2014-04-09, 20:05   Link #954
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quol View Post
You werent clear enough so i just took my best guess as to what you meant, could you explain what you meant by unnatural?
...I am not really clear about it, but it seem like is he going to made things worse intendedly?
Old 2014-04-09, 20:39   Link #955
Rava

Quote:
...I am not really clear about it, but it seem like is he going to made things worse intendedly?
You mean by being a blockhead about Miyuki's crush?
Old 2014-04-09, 20:41   Link #956
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
He might just be pretending not to know. Talking with my mum a while back, she mentioned that it was painfully obvious that I had a crush on my older sister, some 15 years ago, but she was always kind to me and pretended she didn't see the signs, so our relationship isn't as strained as it might be.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 20:58   Link #957
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
That isnt what i am concerning, and is he?
Old 2014-04-09, 21:00   Link #958
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well finely got around to watching this as such a strong incest vibe
Old 2014-04-09, 21:00   Link #959
XFire
Harem Seeker

Quote:
You mean how he reacted to Mari, right?

Yeah, he really does come off like that. It's like walking up to a police officer who has her gun pulled and going "what, we weren't actually going to stab each other with these butterfly knives, we just wanted to see this guy do a trick with his."
Old 2014-04-09, 21:41   Link #960
Rava

Quote:
That isnt what i am concerning, and is he?
Yes, his initial self-thought at the very beginning when Miyuki goes into a bro-con frenzy could be summarized as 'Uh...Is she taking that the wrong way? Eh, whatever...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
You mean how he reacted to Mari, right?

Yeah, he really does come off like that. It's like walking up to a police officer who has her gun pulled and going "what, we weren't actually going to stab each other with these butterfly knives, we just wanted to see this guy do a trick with his."
Oh...that. Yeah, that's kind of a strange point to cliffhanger. I'm betting if it wasn't for everyone's reactions to his claims, Mari would have said he was lying instead of accusing him of subterfuge. Episode 2 beginning will be interesting.

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, magic, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural