AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-13, 12:57   Link #1141
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
The thing that has puzzled me from the start, is why anyone who is decent at magic, but not good enough for course 1, would want to go to a magic school where (s)he isn't being taught how to get better at it. What's the use?
Especially as there are more schools, and that 1st chibi-ep seems to indicate that the no-teaching applies to the First high school only (Tatsuya says: "this school cannot practice equal opportunity).
I really hope they address it soon, because it doesn't make sense.
There are only eight other schools, and I guess places are just as hard to get for them as for First High. And there's the issue of geography.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 13:30   Link #1142
Tenzen12

Actualy it's not truth, First High School is most elite and students from here almost always get into most elite magic university. (I currently attempting read novels and finaly finished prologue! I am realy proud on myself. Well, now will come hard part with Gary Stue protagonist...)

At least another forum I attend also see Mahouka with same despect (even NL readers), so don't worry I will not ventile so much here and provoke pages long conflicts anymore.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 13:45   Link #1143
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Actually, there really isn't that much difference between having personal instructors and not. Personal instructors don't really make a difference in getting better. Weeds and Blooms still have to do the same basic exercises. Remember the one Tatsuya was doing in this episode. The Blooms are doing that too. So everyone will get better.
Instructors DO make a large difference in getting better as they can point out where mistakes are and provide demonstrations. but as pointed out the gap between a course 1 and 2 student on the first day of school is very small.

Also keep in mind that the size of the grades (200 people) are very small I went to school in a rather small suburban school district and my class was only about 125 people you pretty much have to be an elite just to make the cut even to be a course 2 student so part of issue with the discrimination is brought on by the massive competitive nature needed to even get into the school so many of the course 1 students have the stereotypical High school Jock mindset that has been reinforced by many "traditions" which is driving the gaps wider (the VP using a banned term for course 2 students to the head of the discipline committee)
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 14:13   Link #1144
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Yea, I don't find it surprising that students would still chose to attend even though they are treated less favourably. There is precedent in the real world for that somewhere. External students for example, or even international students who have to pay higher fees to get in. Why? To get the name of the school on your diploma.

Enjoyed this episode more than the first, though I can't pinpoint why. The lack of a constant stream of "oniisama" helped. Starting to warm up to Miyuki and some other cast members. Still on the fence about Tatsuya. His personality is fine, it's the pseudo-weaknesses that concern me.
Old 2014-04-13, 15:19   Link #1145
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Well - Looks like someone will change classes soon
I expected the battle to end that way though, especially after all the looser flags the VP raised.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 15:45   Link #1146
cleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There are only eight other schools, and I guess places are just as hard to get for them as for First High. And there's the issue of geography.
It may be hard, but if they got into First High, they could have a shot of making it into other schools as well. They can live in the dorms, or on their own like Tasuya and Miyuki do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Instructors DO make a large difference in getting better as they can point out where mistakes are and provide demonstrations. but as pointed out the gap between a course 1 and 2 student on the first day of school is very small.
On day 1 the difference may be small, but if one group gets lessons and the other group doesn't, than the diference at graduation time should be considerable. Which raises the question if they all have the same exams etc.

The show has stressed the no-teaching several times, so it's bound to have consequences. And for me it's high time they fill us in.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 15:59   Link #1147
Death Usagi
Banned

About Time. Saw it Coming

Notice the gun under Kyousuke's chin?
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 17:06   Link #1148
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post

I would have missed that if you hadn't mentioned it.
Old 2014-04-13, 17:31   Link #1149
BW95
Banned

Quote:
The thing that has puzzled me from the start, is why anyone who is decent at magic, but not good enough for course 1, would want to go to a magic school where (s)he isn't being taught how to get better at it. What's the use?
Especially as there are more schools, and that 1st chibi-ep seems to indicate that the no-teaching applies to the First high school only (Tatsuya says: "this school cannot practice equal opportunity).
I really hope they address it soon, because it doesn't make sense.
Quote:
It may be hard, but if they got into First High, they could have a shot of making it into other schools as well. They can live in the dorms, or on their own like Tasuya and Miyuki do.

On day 1 the difference may be small, but if one group gets lessons and the other group doesn't, than the diference at graduation time should be considerable. Which raises the question if they all have the same exams etc.

The show has stressed the no-teaching several times, so it's bound to have consequences. And for me it's high time they fill us in.
Maybe you didn't understand, but these 9 magic high schools are the ONLY magic high schools in the entirety of Japan. In other words, these high schools are spread out all over the country. Pretty sure this was covered in the third chibi episode.

In any case, magicians are rare and magic teachers are scarce.

Quote:

I knew this was going to happen. It's even better than I thought.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 18:49   Link #1150
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 19:05   Link #1151
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
I can't stop laughing.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 19:50   Link #1152
Death Usagi
Banned

I'd say Miyuki is really close to Ayase's personality in a way. She will freeze anything who gets in her way of love!
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 20:48   Link #1153
Javani

Mahouka and Oreimo have same VAs, coincidence?

Javani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 21:05   Link #1154
venshade

Quote:

DAT gun
Old 2014-04-13, 21:07   Link #1155
The Green One

Don't be silly, she's just tucking it under his chin so he won't lose it. Now he'll know where it is at all times. What a devoted little sister.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 21:08   Link #1156
rladls716

If I'm in that world, I would not go to magic school and go to ordinary school.
Of course it will might not make a difference though.
Even so, it is really unbearable for the Course 2 students keep attending that school.
But then really, do they have a choice?
It is for their future, some people think.
However not so bright future for every student.
It reminds me this is something that this is unwanted in every way.
It is all about value.
Tatsuya seems to be accepting this, and Miyuki seems to be complaining.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 21:13   Link #1157
The Green One

No one likes to be unilaterally looked down upon. To be treated condescendingly by your peers when they may know next to nothing about you personally as well. The course 2 student's uniforms themselves announce to anyone who so much as glances at them that they're supposedly too incompetent to be of true value. That kind of treatment day in and day out is hard to live with for most people.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 21:29   Link #1158
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaverf123 View Post
How about the past arc will they adapt it ?
Like I said, looks like 4 episodes per volume so 8 episodes per arc. Three arcs would equal 24 episodes, leaving 2 for side stories. So no past arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
If I'm in that world, I would not go to magic school and go to ordinary school.
Of course it will might not make a difference though.
Even so, it is really unbearable for the Course 2 students keep attending that school.
But then really, do they have a choice?
It is for their future, some people think.
However not so bright future for every student.
It reminds me this is something that this is unwanted in every way.
It is all about value.
Tatsuya seems to be accepting this, and Miyuki seems to be complaining.
You have, however, failed to take into account one crucial factor. Magicians are born. Every student you see here was born with magic. They lived their entire lives with magic and never lived a second without it. Could you part with magic? If you were born with this gift, wouldn't you want to use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
No one likes to be unilaterally looked down upon. To be treated condescendingly by your peers when they may know next to nothing about you personally as well. The course 2 student's uniforms themselves announce to anyone who so much as glances at them that they're supposedly too incompetent to be of true value. That kind of treatment day in and day out is hard to live with for most people.
I actually like this system. Obviously not because it encourages bullying and elitism, but it allows you to separate the good from the bad. All those snobbish elites were clearly bad apples, but you can find some good ones like Honoka and Shizuku. This system can show you who your friends really are.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 23:02   Link #1159
Traece
:cool:

Although there are a lot of aspects of Mahouka that are really interesting, I must say this:

I've seen a lot of people call out Mary Sue and Gary Sue in my time on Asuki. Never have I seen an anime that so clearly contained this though. If the MC of Mahouka becomes any more Gary Sue, I'm worried that the author in all his powerful glory will pop right out of my computer screen and start silently judging me.

Actually I was a bit shocked by this episode. I knew the fight would be terribly short based on what I've heard, but that was... That was a bit too short.
Old 2014-04-13, 23:10   Link #1160
kukuru

I think any futuristic genre and especially one as flesh out as this type.... Take any current moral standards and throw them out the window.

Seriously its like some people its their first sci-fi.

But I guess its bound to happen. With any adaptations world building is really hard to animate, especially polical stuff.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural