AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-09-29, 09:34   Link #61
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Are the Gorosei really above the World Nobles?
I was under the impression that the Gorosei were the legislative branch and the World Nobles were the Heads of State in a sort of unelected, quasi-Westminster parliamentary system. Kinda like how the Prime Ministers of England, Canada, Australia, etc. and their cabinets are the de facto executive bodies of the Commonwealth countries while the Queen is the de jure source of executive power within the system.
Yes, they are. They were introduced as the "world's highest political power". Keep in mind that we still haven't discovered the origins/history behind these 5 elders. Their mandate is above all. That's why it's such a big deal that Dragon is trying to overthrow them, thus warranting him the title of "most wanted man in the world".
Old 2013-09-29, 09:53   Link #62
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Cant wait to see a logical explanation to Fujitora's weird powers. Black holes, meteors, energy shields and maybe some kind of invisibility since he just left the battle for a chapter? Not even a space based devil fruit can explain this randomness.
Old 2013-09-29, 18:25   Link #63
shalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Cant wait to see a logical explanation to Fujitora's weird powers. Black holes, meteors, energy shields and maybe some kind of invisibility since he just left the battle for a chapter? Not even a space based devil fruit can explain this randomness.
Gravity based powers that pulls things down using his sword. Based off all the chapters that we have seen with his powers active is what I'm sticking to.
shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 19:41   Link #64
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrShady View Post
Obviously they are, I mean they are the core members based on this card theme Doflamingo has going and they were the ones who destroyed the former kingdom.
But I doubt we already know them, he did the same thing with Vergo who we didn't knew. Besides wouldn't it be a better hype if they are revealed to be people we know it could start all kinds of speculation and possibilities hyping them even further.
I said maybe they have a Significant importance to the plot. Like you know, Crocodile has a significant impact to the plot as he stays around after getting defeated but many of his former numbers are no longer relevant to the plot.

That was one of the reasons i mentioned. Something , some reason ( maybe plot related) that Oda might have to not show their faces but show Diamante's face.

Also they could still be already known characters. As for Vergo, actually i was one of the few people that said it might be a new character .
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 00:26   Link #65
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Not even a space based devil fruit can explain this randomness.
Reading this scentence, I thought it may be funny to have a character with a 'random random' fruit, which has a different power with each use and not even the user knows what will happen next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Also they could still be already known characters. As for Vergo, actually i was one of the few people that said it might be a new character .
I don't think it's likely, that they are known characters.
After all they work for Doflamingo for at least 10 years continously and his area of operation is the new world. So far we mostly followed the route of the SH, who just arrived there.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 01:38   Link #66
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Yes, they are. They were introduced as the "world's highest political power". Keep in mind that we still haven't discovered the origins/history behind these 5 elders. Their mandate is above all. That's why it's such a big deal that Dragon is trying to overthrow them, thus warranting him the title of "most wanted man in the world".
That still doesn't mean the Gorosei aren't the defacto power, while the Nobles are the dejure. "Serving at their Majesty's pleasure" so to speak. I know this may be a hard thing for many of you Americans to understand, as your Head of State holds real power.
Think of it like this; the Japanese Emperor has power and authority, but is forbidden by the constitution from using it. The Japanese Prime Minister, who is under the Emperor, receives his power and authority from the Emperor and can wield all the Emperors power at his own discretion.

Now the whole argument is moot if, as The Small One says, the Gorosei are World Nobles too.
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 02:31   Link #67
mrShady

Quote:
I said maybe they have a Significant importance to the plot. Like you know, Crocodile has a significant impact to the plot as he stays around after getting defeated but many of his former numbers are no longer relevant to the plot.

That was one of the reasons i mentioned. Something , some reason ( maybe plot related) that Oda might have to not show their faces but show Diamante's face.

It's a bit depended on how this arc is going to end but I really doubt that Oda is going to write off Doflamingo and his immediate subordinates this quickly. He spent too much time and backstory on him to just write it off in one arc. It's not impossible but seems highly unlikely.
Maybe Oda will use Doflamingo and his crew to show us the horror that is Kaidou, it's impossible to tell right now.

Like I said before it would be a better hype if we already knew them and their faces but not the reason for their affiliation with Doflamingo.
It could also be to simply hype their appearance.

PS: 3 of Crocodiles former numbers are still relevant to the plot, Mister 2 is in impel down, Mister 1 is still with Crocodile and Mister 3 is with Buggy. All of them have a high chance of reappearing and in case of Mister 2 and 3 they already had a major arc they took part in.
mrShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 02:39   Link #68
ri0

Location: Where everything is dangerous - I'm starting to like this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Reading this scentence, I thought it may be funny to have a character with a 'random random' fruit, which has a different power with each use and not even the user knows what will happen next.
The moment I read that, I was thinking of HxH's Kaito's "Crazy Slots"

Oh man, when will it finally resume
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 03:50   Link #69
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Are the Gorosei really above the World Nobles?
I was under the impression that the Gorosei were the legislative branch and the World Nobles were the Heads of State in a sort of unelected, quasi-Westminster parliamentary system. Kinda like how the Prime Ministers of England, Canada, Australia, etc. and their cabinets are the de facto executive bodies of the Commonwealth countries while the Queen is the de jure source of executive power within the system.

Well, whether they're nobles or not, I think it's pretty clear that the 5 elders are the ones calling the shots in the WG. I mean, it's not like we've seen any of the other nobles in those big meetings where the elders talk about preserving the world's balance in the face of the threat of pirates and the lost history, right?

Really, the WG always struck me as pretty much being a worldwide dictatorship. The fact that they would even go as far as to erase whole islands from existence just to keep the lost history a secret just flat-out screams police-state mentality to me. Kinda like North Korea or something to use a real-life example (heck, the fact that the world nobles are referred to as "Celestial Dragons" even reminds me of the practically godlike reverence that many North Koreans have for the Kims). If you think about it that way, it's no wonder why Luffy's dad started gathering a huge rebel army to overthrow them......

Quote:
They could have a significance to the plot. Maybe they are former known characters that we have seen before.

Well, I think it's clear that the officers have some significance due to them having had a hand in overthrowing the Riku royal family. I strongly doubt any of them are past characters, though. Still, my point was that I found it very interesting that the lackey characters are getting such a gradual level of build-up. That's something you'd expect from the big bads themselves, not so much their servants.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 14:27   Link #70
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

how strong is dofla? admiral level? he shook off kuzan's ice like it's nothing, took care of smoker easily, seem to handle fujitora's attack too, and he can beat law who is a shichibukai...

if luffy beat dofla does that mean he's stronger than law and on par with admiral?
Old 2013-09-30, 15:38   Link #71
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post

You know, that possibility came to my mind...What if he has some kind of Jinx/Curse/Karma based ability? Maybe it was pure devil fruit's targeted terrible luck that brought a meteor on FlamingoLaw,
some very unlucky weird but intented gravity anomaly took down those goons to auto-protect its master and maybe a long shot...some twisted good luck charm protected him from his own meteor?
You cant even eliminate the craziest possibility when it comes to One Piece
Old 2013-09-30, 16:01   Link #72
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
how strong is dofla? admiral level? he shook off kuzan's ice like it's nothing, took care of smoker easily, seem to handle fujitora's attack too, and he can beat law who is a shichibukai...

if luffy beat dofla does that mean he's stronger than law and on par with admiral?
A Kuzan that casually froze Doflamingo from a distance (yes, this makes a difference) while having his hands in his pockets. The latter was also shown panting after breaking out. That scene clearly portrayed Doflamingo as inferior to Kuzan. He's very strong no doubt, but he's not equal/on par with the admirals.

This is the dilemma that people are speculating on. Luffy hasn't shown off his full capabilities, so his true strength is still unknown. Can he defeat Doflamingo by himself legitimately? That's the real question. It can be argued that Law's case was unfair since he had to fight Doflamingo and Fujitora together, and that's a bit too much for anyone to handle on their own.
Old 2013-09-30, 17:20   Link #73
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
A Kuzan that casually froze Doflamingo from a distance (yes, this makes a difference) while having his hands in his pockets. The latter was also shown panting after breaking out. That scene clearly portrayed Doflamingo as inferior to Kuzan. He's very strong no doubt, but he's not equal/on par with the admirals.

This is the dilemma that people are speculating on. Luffy hasn't shown off his full capabilities, so his true strength is still unknown. Can he defeat Doflamingo by himself legitimately? That's the real question. It can be argued that Law's case was unfair since he had to fight Doflamingo and Fujitora together, and that's a bit too much for anyone to handle on their own.
I would even further argue that one thing Law does not have is Luffy's tenacity and ability to overcome an opponent that is stronger than he is (well also Luffy's luck). I know personally I would be very disappointed if Luffy did not struggle and go all out, even beyond his limits to beat Dofla after he's been hyped as a villain for so long.
imza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 21:43   Link #74
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Well, I think it's clear that the officers have some significance due to them having had a hand in overthrowing the Riku royal family. I strongly doubt any of them are past characters, though. Still, my point was that I found it very interesting that the lackey characters are getting such a gradual level of build-up. That's something you'd expect from the big bads themselves, not so much their servants.....
I was referring to a huge significance in terms of One piece plot as a whole. An example would be Dragon, Garp, Roger, ... compared to mainly arc related significance.

An example: If robin would stay an enemy, get defeated to not be heard from again, then she would definitely have a significance to the arc plot but not the plot as a whole.
All i meant with what i said was that maybe Oda has ( his own) a plot related reason or maybe we already know the character.

Who knows maybe we get a Strawhat even from Dofla's group.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 01:11   Link #75
marvelB

Quote:
I was referring to a huge significance in terms of One piece plot as a whole. An example would be Dragon, Garp, Roger, ... compared to mainly arc related significance.

Well in that case, I'm REALLY doubting that. I don't see these guys getting much focus outside of the current arc unless it's through a cover ministory or something.

But in the meantime, new thread!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 02:38   Link #76
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
As for Captain of his own crew argument, well Franky had a whole bunch of people following him too and didn't stop him (and only him) to join the crew. We don't even know how big Cavendish's crew is. It could be like 2 people for all we know. But since Franky did join, there is always a chance that both Cavendish and Law ( less of a chance maybe) to join the strawhats.
I think the pirate distinction matters here. Franky wasn't a pirate. Ussop Pirates were pretend and he hadn't been to sea.

I don't think Oda would have one pirate crew join another so easily when One piece has written so that the protagonists take the bonds between their crew mates seriously. Luffy shows disdain for pirates which do not treat their crew mates respect or take being a pirate seriously. At the end of the day even if luffy extended an offer I think it would be refused (ace declined because he was part of the white beard pirates).

I've said before usually crew members back story matter to the arc and they usually all have some individual goal that they want to accomplish that is best accomplished by joining the crew. Those that were offered and refused failed this test. Its almost like Wizard of Oz in that sense. I'm more curious about violet. Why did she betray don quixote. I don't think the case can be made for her yet.