AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 24 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 31 26.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 13.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 9.40%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 11.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 11.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.71%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 3.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 5.13%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.56%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-10-05, 16:59   Link #281
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Just saw.

The writer is the same as Guilty Crown, that explains a lot of things.
Yeah, that really makes sense considering how poorly this arc was written...
Old 2013-10-05, 17:03   Link #282
ACertainStark
Misfortune -15C

For exact credentials:
Script:
Hiroyuki Yoshino (eps 19, 23-24)
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 19:39   Link #283
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with blaming the writers instead of the director?
They work as a team. They are also in the business, and it's not that simple. It's your point of blaming the director is too simplified.

The typical anime has several writers. They usually have one coordinating writer. The coordinating writer supervises and reviews writers' work. The exception is VIVIDRED OPERATION. The director is one of the coordinating writers. Another coordinating writer is Yoshino, the writer of this episode. Yoshino is also the coordinating writer for Mai-Hime/Otome, Sorawato, Magi, Accel World and Dance In The Vampire Bund. He didn't do too bad. You can also say it's hard to distinguish the responsibilies among the show's writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
i take your advise.
Take that advise if you are not the fan of music and anime artwork.
The storytelling didn't do well, but the other department are equivalently disappointing. That lesson told us the storytelling is equally important.
Spoiler for comparison:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust

Last edited by GundamZZ; 2013-10-05 at 20:09.
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 21:03   Link #284
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
They work as a team. They are also in the business, and it's not that simple. It's your point of blaming the director is too simplified.

The typical anime has several writers. They usually have one coordinating writer. The coordinating writer supervises and reviews writers' work. The exception is VIVIDRED OPERATION. The director is one of the coordinating writers. Another coordinating writer is Yoshino, the writer of this episode. Yoshino is also the coordinating writer for Mai-Hime/Otome, Sorawato, Magi, Accel World and Dance In The Vampire Bund. He didn't do too bad. You can also say it's hard to distinguish the responsibilies among the show's writers.
Well, thanks for the explanation. It would have been impossible for me to conclude this from what you posted earlier. (And I really mean it, zero sarcasm this time.)

You overcomplicate it though, wouldn't it be easier to say that the directors don't usually review the script in the anime industry?... which makes me feel bad about them, considering how big a part it plays.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 21:17   Link #285
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post

Take that advise if you are not the fan of music and anime artwork.
The storytelling didn't do well, but the other department are equivalently disappointing. That lesson told us the storytelling is equally important.
Spoiler for comparison:
oh enders game i finished story in a book, was very good.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 21:43   Link #286
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Well, thanks for the explanation. It would have been impossible for me to conclude this from what you posted earlier. (And I really mean it, zero sarcasm this time.)

You overcomplicate it though, wouldn't it be easier to say that the directors don't usually review the script in the anime industry?... which makes me feel bad about them, considering how big a part it plays.
The history is that a lot of anime staffs' jobs are based on stageplay terminology. The stage director wrote script and supervised the play. Once upon the time, anime director manages staffing and work schedule. Today's anime director is in charge of animation. The job of sound and music goes to sound director. The director(animation director) is still called stage director. Storyboard is divided among the writer and the animation director. The meeting and specialization enables them to complete the work in shorter time.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 09:38   Link #287
KanbeKotori
Toki's supporter

Finished the anime recently. One thing I don't like.

In the first OP, they showed Touma saving Mikoto from Mugino's meltdowner. Then in the whole of 24 episodes there was nothing of that sort -_- Was so hyped up waiting to see Touma in action but there was none.

The only saving grace was Janie and Febri in the end. I hope Index III comes out soon.
Old 2013-10-06, 21:13   Link #288
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

One thing I really liked about the Silent Party arc, for all it's flaws: You have all of these competent people working together. How goddamned often does that happen?

Also, Kuroko shows exactly why she's Mikoto's friend, and manages not to ruin her awesome moment.

I also liked how they used all four Railgun OPs throughout the series, and all in all, while Silent Party wasn't as good as Sisters, it was still pretty good.

STUDY were kinda underwhelming villains, though. Compared to the kind of people Mikoto's gone up against,they're more like Chuunibyou wannabe tryhards. Also, I would have liked to see the Sisters go up against the powered suits. "That's not an army. This is an army." Something like that.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 23:25   Link #289
Shinhwa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
One thing I really liked about the Silent Party arc, for all it's flaws: You have all of these competent people working together. How goddamned often does that happen?

Also, Kuroko shows exactly why she's Mikoto's friend, and manages not to ruin her awesome moment.

I also liked how they used all four Railgun OPs throughout the series, and all in all, while Silent Party wasn't as good as Sisters, it was still pretty good.

STUDY were kinda underwhelming villains, though. Compared to the kind of people Mikoto's gone up against,they're more like Chuunibyou wannabe tryhards. Also, I would have liked to see the Sisters go up against the powered suits. "That's not an army. This is an army." Something like that.
Them working together can lead to casualties if they were to go against the more proper dark side of Academy City...
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 02:19   Link #290
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
Them working together can lead to casualties if they were to go against the more proper dark side of Academy City...
Perhaps, but after a while one gets tired of seeing the protagonists going on solo crusades and the rest of the cast reduced to being background. For Silent Party, at least, everyone was useful and contributed to the action.

That's part of the charm of Super Robot Wars: assembling all these badasses who normally work alone, and sending them forth to kick ass, chew bubblegum, and kick some more ass.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 02:37   Link #291
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Quote:
That's not the point. STUDY is not part of the darkness of Academy City.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 05:32   Link #292
desrtsku
wuaaai!

Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Finally finished the thing. It's not as bad as people makes you think it is.
What's the deal?
Old 2013-10-07, 08:26   Link #293
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Just saw.

The writer is the same as Guilty Crown, that explains a lot of things.
It really does.
Old 2013-10-08, 04:07   Link #294
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Quote:
Finally finished the thing. It's not as bad as people makes you think it is.
What's the deal?
They want something else animated. They also failed to see the point of this arc, basically blinded by their filler hate.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 04:41   Link #295
desrtsku
wuaaai!

Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
I see.
I can't blame them though. I sort of understand the feel.
Old 2013-10-08, 09:01   Link #296
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
They want something else animated. They also failed to see the point of this arc, basically blinded by their filler hate.
I saw the point of this arc, and it was a good lesson. I just think that it was presented very poorly. My issues have nothing to do with the arc being anime original, or the basic points it was trying to make, I just thought the writing wasn't good.
Old 2013-10-09, 08:09   Link #297
s07195
Distracted

Seeing this episode reminded me that this is the first time in this arc for her to use her Railgun. Still, wow... that was cheat-level fighting against those robots.

EDIT: They developed beam cannons...wow. Though it's not enough to go against Saten and Uiharu in their giant robot.

"W-what's that?! Is it a G****m?!"

EDIT 2: Mikoto, checking her phone in the atmosphere of the Earth. Mind-wipingly badass... Wait, standing OUTSIDE in upper atmosphere?!

Last edited by s07195; 2013-10-09 at 08:31.
s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 17:14   Link #298
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

One Sister more than enough, they may get slaughter by Acelerator, but against less OP foes, all the tactical knowledge in Testament and the calm mindset, means they can typically find a way to win....
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 13:25   Link #299
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I finally forced my way though this episode, as my first attempt I had to stop 5 minutes in.

As someone who was fine with animating this arc instead of Liberal Art City, and actually enjoyed it up until this episode, I have to say that it was still pretty bad.

1: Saten + bat vs robots was ridiculous and shattered suspension of disbelief in this showing (as opposed to being a good development in the first season). It's one thing for an overlooked Level 0 to smash a machine disabling the espers. It's another to go head to head with several robots. And piloting a transforming mecha... "Battle Panties"????

It was like fan fiction written by a rabid insane Saten fan- and I like Saten. I just don't care for her to be transformed into a Mary Sue.

2: Lack of setup for Judgement involvement. Felt very, very deus ex machina.

3: Transforming supermecha???? Whaa.... now we just went literally to a deus ex machina ending.

Frankly the whole felt like it was from a different show. Having it after the Sister Arc made it worse, as we went from the darkest, most cynical side of Railgun, to the happy slice of life adventure of past seasons, and then in this episode blew right past the cheesiest Railgun had to offer and entered "My drill shall pierce the heavens!" territory - which is fine in an anime that has that setup, but not in Railgun.

The second half of the episode wasn't quite as bad, but still it was on the cheesiest side of Railgun.

Pacing is a problem too, up until now this arc had been developing at a good pace, and then suddenly we hit the major confrontation, a climax, a denouncement, another climax, and an epilogue all jammed into one episode.

I have to say this was a very bad ending to this arc, even if you weren't wanting something else.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 01:07   Link #300
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I personally loved this ending. The scope was really huge (much like the first season's ending) and there's a lot of stuff that didn't make sense but it was fun. Railgun always has a thing with uniting almost every single character that appeared in the series for a super epic ending. There was even some pseudo-Gundam this time around and Mikoto and Kuroko magically surviving space and blowing shit up. I loved every bit of this episode (and it being a fripSide musical helps). What's important is that the series wraps up conclusively and this episode definitely did.

Sure this arc is terrible in comparison to the Sisters Arc but this ending was pretty worth it.