AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 24 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 31 26.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 13.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 9.40%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 11.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 11.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.71%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 3.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 5.13%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.56%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-27, 16:34   Link #61
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
Good, then it's obviuosly non-canon and can be ignored. How awkward would be the fake date with Touma in that parallel universe.

"Hey you, go out in a fake date with me to stop this stalker that has been following me all this week! By the way, did you know I've been to space today?"
Actually, the fake date started at 8:40 AM
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 16:37   Link #62
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
How do we know it was on August 31st? I mean I would not put it past the Railgun crew to completely ignore continuity but shouldn't we get some confirmation it was on that day before we jump to conclusions?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 16:37   Link #63
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
It amazes me you went back to that.
Also, the part where she talked about her sisters was pretty touching... Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Also, the part where she talked about her sisters was pretty touching... Hmm...
If people want to see my actual constructive comments you can look on the anime manga readers thread... because most of what I want to say can't be said on this thread to explain many of the reasons I don't think this is so bad...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-09-27 at 21:49. Reason: merge double-post
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 16:42   Link #64
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
How do we know it was on August 31st? I mean I would not put it past the Railgun crew to completely ignore continuity but shouldn't we get some confirmation it was on that day before we jump to conclusions?
It's 2chan reasonning

[mod edit: removed image that contains reference to future content]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-09-27 at 21:48.
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 16:43   Link #65
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
But where did they get episode 7th is 24th from?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 16:57   Link #66
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
damn August 31st was one hell of a day
__________________

He believes.
Even though he’s tired and one leg’s in the coffin, he believes.
He believes in his right fist,
in the path that his weapon creates,
in the scene when his weapon brutally hits the enemy’s body,
that his victory will bring about a wonderful future.
Kamijou Touma’s actions are based on trust.-

Kenju of the Right is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 17:02   Link #67
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
One hell of a day? Really this just doesn't make sense at all......... *FACEPALM*
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 19:16   Link #68
julioalqae
the pragma
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bandoeng
Send a message via Yahoo to julioalqae
btw ..... i has already watched it when i gave the score....., sorry...., but what i said it's for whole arc...this isn't insanity... just a linear dull arc with kamachi's content......

but honestly, i apologize if my reasoning didn't have any source at it...it's just.....as a old fan, i felt that this arc really far from kamachi would write...but let's stop here and wait for the official announcement or resource....
__________________
julioalqae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 20:28   Link #69
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
This is why I hate filler arcs because they try to fit it in a timeline that already has a story existing. If it was Touma and Index only then it wouldn't have much of an issue, but this arc pretty much overlapped with the three-stories arc that things really begun not make sense at all for the veteran viewers.
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 20:29   Link #70
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Please move the timeline discussion to another thread, as it isn't discussing what happened in Railgun S Episode 24. If we need a thread specifically to discuss the timeline, then request that one be created in the appropriate location.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 20:55   Link #71
~Greed~
He Who Defies Finality
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I can't believe this!!!!

I just rewatched the scene where Mikoto rushed at the robots and I saw a panty shot... it wasn't even a shot of shorts... that was weird wow...
That alone confirms this episode as non-canon


Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Please move the timeline discussion to another thread, as it isn't discussing what happened in Railgun S Episode 24. If we need a thread specifically to discuss the timeline, then request that one be created in the appropriate location.
Isn't discussing when this episode takes place related to this episode?

Honestly, there aren't enough things to talk about regarding the timeline outside of this episode. So creating another thread for it would be kind of pointless.
__________________
~Greed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 21:12   Link #72
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
This is why I hate filler arcs because they try to fit it in a timeline that already has a story existing. If it was Touma and Index only then it wouldn't have much of an issue, but this arc pretty much overlapped with the three-stories arc that things really begun not make sense at all for the veteran viewers.
Huh?

Shinobu finding out that she is responsible for LO being the way she is was pretty touching and Kuroko teleporting Mikoto down was nice as well. Episode 1 of Railgun S showed how it was possible to fly via teleportation with Kuroko, Mikoto. This was the same deal... so I don't see why people are saying she can't teleport... (after taking the plane...)

BTW I don't find it confusing, but I'm not discussing why in this thread... I really don't see how it is any more confusing than anything else which has happened so far...

Considering the fact that this is world-building and that Raildex is a fictional universe filled with a whole universe of a LOT of different people doing different things at different times I do not see how adding what a few more people in the fictional universe are doing at the same time that other action is happening in the fictional universe makes it confusing at all.

This is especially true considering that crazy stuff seems to happen in Academy City 24/7 which means that a lot of problems happen in the city every day all over and around the rest of the fictional world...

That's the point of universe building. If nothing happens at the same time, then it isn't a universe, it's just glimpses of character stories. The point of Raildex (IMO) for Kamachi is to create a fictional universe with lots of vibrant characters which means lots of crazy stuff will always be happening at once because he wants to showcase an entire fictional universe, not some 3 hand-picked celebrity characters in order to make them the most popular characters of all time.

That's a fundamental difference I see in his creation of storylines in this universe.

Assuming every event that happens in this universe is going to be of the same hype, craziness, and form, and with the same emotional content seems contrived IMO which is not only why I can believe Kamachi wrote this, but also why I think having such a different arc like this happening adds a lot to a story like Raildex.

I mean I might have said before I ignore the parts of series I don't like, but there really wasn't that much I didn't like in here.

The more genres of action I see in a fictional world, the more believable it becomes, and that is one of the reasons I really like Railgun S filler because it happens to do this.

The season really came full-circle at the end.

We had mechas like in season 1. They made similar movements like in season 1 at points, but looked cooler here.

We also had the idea that Mikoto wants to work with other people.

I want to argue that assuming that Mikoto is always going to be a loner 100% of the time is silly IMO because if we are assuming that Kamachi is trying to make Mikoto a believable, realistic character, her personality will change over time even if she has a tendency not to trust her friends so much in general.

The plasticity of Mikoto's temperament is what makes me think of her as such as an interesting character.

This arc was about disenfranchised people in the city called STUDY. You can call them nerds and then try to say they are crappy villains because they didn't have some huge evil scheme, but if this is supposed to be a realistic fictional world that could actually exist by some stretch of the imagination, then ordinary people have to exist and not everything can be amazing 100% of the time everywhere in the fictional universe at once. I mean a lot of stuff can happen in it, but not every villain is going to be a final boss character from a story-book.

ITEM and STUDY's appearances here are supposed to focus on the crappiness of the darkness of Academy City. Part 1 of this season was telling the story of the Sisters arc.

That arc was supposed to shock us to our core. Kamijou Touma saved the day because of who he is and he is a very special person. The only one who could have had a chance then against Accelerator was indeed him. He saved Mikoto from the darkness of Academy City and he taught her her current dream to not have to lose anything precious and for everyone to go back smiling.

That's a powerful message, but the first part of the season focused 1. on defeating Accelerator and 2. Mikoto's psychological descent into the darkness of Academy City.

Mikoto was putting up a tough front and wanted desperately to save her sisters, but she couldn't rely on her friends at all. After she finally managed to save them how would she feel? Relieved? Maybe. But she would also be very fragile, and would want comfort and warmth from other people.

She is still a 14 year old girl who wants comfort from her friends. After going through an ordeal that makes you want to commit suicide and someone sacrifices their life for you in order to convince you to keep on living, you aren't immediately going to feel all better. Mikoto here was in this situation and felt very guilty for what she did and wanted her friends to support her.

This is a very valid psychological reason as to why she would ask her friends to go with her. She needed support, because by herself she was only so strong.

Touma was necessary in part 1 because of his stubbornness and his insensitivity to other people's privacy. He was necessary to get her to see things clearly and to continue living.

After that, Mikoto needed her friends to recover from that psychologically. This is why an arc like this feels right at home. It is emotional, and after everything that happened in part 1. of the arc where Mikoto found out about the horrible truth behind Academy City that she ignored before, she finally accepted it and wants to change something once she gets the chance.

From my experience, many people who hate how popular Mikoto is feel that way because of how naive she has always acted after finding out about the horrible state of things as we saw in both parts of season 1. But this arc which was here was necessary because it showed how Mikoto is growing as a character. She now cares about her friends and wants to include them in what she does in her spare time. Her friends know about the darkness of the city because they already faced it in season 1. Maybe it didn't have to do with the underground organizations of the city mentioned in this season like ITEM, but they face some part of the darkness of Academy City so Mikoto felt like it was their right to be able to decide to stop the threat or not because they were her friends. Touma was worried about her and he didn't let her push him away, but her friends are more tactful. For that reason, Mikoto remembers how in season 2 they all agreed that they would help each other because they cared about each other and that one of them shouldn't have to do things alone, to shoulder the burden alone.

Since season 1 the anime has been described as a more coherent version of the manga that fills in some animation and concept gaps. So I don't understand why people are complaining that we are getting a realistic story here that helps revise some of the hard-to-show aspects of a manga series that are easier to show in an anime. I am noting I am not discussing the content of the manga and do not plan to in this post, but want to point out that Railgun reserves the right to make the series more cinematically and emotionally sound. It makes it much more realistic.

Anyway... after this season we finally have Mikoto showing concern for other people's lives and coming to terms with what she did before. She becomes kind to other people who are in the darkness and she matures greatly. This is why I find it weird to criticize the anime for seeming unlike it was written by Kamachi. It's suppose to revise what he originally did to convey his point with a second try after he thinks about it more carefully... He does it in a way that makes it unnecessary to change anything he did before and he only has to add new content, which lets certain arcs like this come about...

Most characters in this series aren't one-dimensional... except for comedic value... and that should be apparent especially here.

In the end, we know people know about the darkness of Academy City, but it still doesn't change anything like before. There is no way to combat it and no way to proceed forward so there are no problems. There is no reason for an underground organization to go after Mikoto and co because they conveniently saved the city for them and the antagonists who were working against them were working alone.

Aritomi and the others were interesting characters because of their motivations. This arc wasn't necessarily focusing on how powerful everyone was (though it had some amazing animation in this episode which I loved); rather it was focusing on concerns that a group of "NERDS," as people are saying, that is victimized by Academy City and that does the same exact thing Mikoto would have tried to do if Touma wasn't there to stop her eventually. What Mikoto did to the scientists was the exact same thing STUDY was doing. They felt disenfranchised. They had their reasons and sure maybe they sounded a little silly for wanting to prove intellect was more important than espers, but in the end that was just why they were the villains rather than something like an anti-hero which was what Mikoto was being earlier in the season.

The point is that Academy City only cares about espers, it victimzes them and non-espers and that now our main protagonists are starting to think about these things. It is interesting because not only are we having world building in the sense that we are learning about characters interacting with Mikoto and Co... we are having world building in the sense that Mikoto and Co. are maturing and changing as characters.

This is on the most part the largest reason why I disagree with most of the criticism about this arc. I like this arc especially for the parts that make the characters involved seem more realistic and that fully extend Mikoto's emotional healing process.

In the end, I wanted to see this arc so badly animated first and foremost because of how amazingly it depicted the trauma Mikoto was going through, and this is first and foremost why an ending second cour like this fits exactly with that theme of the season with Mikoto realistically needing to depend on the love and support of her friends in order to recover mentally and rejoin every-day life.

This arc was in my opinion very well done and I very much enjoyed the entire season because it felt a lot more cinematic to me as I noted earlier than most anime productions especially because it cared about making realistic complex characters that many anime don't do at all. When the characters act linearly in this series, it is pretty much always intended as comedic effect and it is the main reason why seeing a cinematic work like this makes me really appreciate railgun S because it feels really well done and thought out.

This feels a lot more like what Kamachi tries to write in general because it shows what happens behind the scenes with the characters in their development. Anyway, this was a super long explanation of why I liked this season/arc so I'll stop.

One last thing though, I only initially disliked the arc because 1. I didn't know at the very beginning that Kamachi submitted the script for it. 2. I thought it was heading in a direction that made all of the underground groups in the city handleable by Mikoto and her friends. 3. I thought it was focusing on fan-service instead of character development.

When rewatching it now, even if it did have some fan-service in some parts of the arc, I was clearly wrong about my initial analysis of how the arc was going to turn out. That is why after seeing episode 23 with subtitles and seeing this episode I feel so differently about the arc. I rather thought episodes 23 and 24 were pretty emotional and liked them.

Feel free to disagree with me, but these are the reasons I enjoyed this arc. You might have many reasons you didn't enjoy this arc, but these are the reasons I do enjoy the arc, and the reasons I enjoy the arc far outweigh the reasons I wouldn't enjoy this arc (all of which were answered throughout the arc).

The biggest reason I initially didn't like this arc was because I was expecting another good arc to be adapted. Though I actually ended up liking this arc and that is why I really feel differently also about the beginning parts of this arc which initially just disappointed me.

Edit:

The other biggest reason I appreciated this new arc was that it gave closure to Shinobu's story. This was very much appreciated because it was rather strange beforehand for Mikoto to completely forget about her and was unrealistic. It's why having them add this extra arc in the anime, after the Sisters arc, where Mikoto helps Shinobu and makes her feel better as well, is partly touching and also... a reason to make Mikoto look like a more well-fleshed out character (Where this is the case even if she is still somewhat naive at times).

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that during the ending of the episode Touma was actually in class. That's kind of hilarious. What are the chances of that?

Last edited by dniv; 2013-09-27 at 21:41.
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 21:42   Link #73
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Greed~ View Post
Isn't discussing when this episode takes place related to this episode?

Honestly, there aren't enough things to talk about regarding the timeline outside of this episode. So creating another thread for it would be kind of pointless.
Except nobody gives a damn about what date things happened on except if you know what other things happened in the timeline that haven't been animated in Railgun yet. So as much as novel/manga readers may consider it interesting, it has absolutely zero relevance when it comes to discussing the anime itself. Hence, I'd rather not derail this thread with it and would rather instead put it somewhere else where it can be explained why the dates are actually supposed to matter.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 21:48   Link #74
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
The other biggest reason I appreciated this new arc was that it gave closure to Shinobu's story. This was very much appreciated because it was rather strange beforehand for Mikoto to completely forget about her and was unrealistic. It's why having them add this extra arc in the anime, after the Sisters arc, where Mikoto helps Shinobu and makes her feel better as well, is partly touching and also... a reason to make Mikoto look like a more well-fleshed out character (Where this is the case even if she is still somewhat naive at times).

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that during the ending of the episode Touma was actually in class. That's kind of hilarious. What are the chances of that?
I didn't liked that.

I liked her former closure, that was the proof that in this city even if you're a good guy that doesn't mean a happy ending.
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 21:50   Link #75
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
I didn't liked that.

I liked her former closure, that was the proof that in this city even if you're a good guy that doesn't mean a happy ending.
That's all you got out of my post? But yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that. It makes sense on one level because not everything should have a happy ending, but it doesn't on another level because there shouldn't be unhappy endings in this city when heroes are there to help you out. It should only happen when heroes aren't there to fix the problem.

Plus, Nunotaba always will have to live with the guilt for what her inventions have caused and that won't go away. That is unhappy in itself. It's just like the fact that Mikoto indirectly led to the death of 10,000 clones of herself. It's tragic, but not the worst thing ever. Raildex always seems as a story/anime to have bittersweet endings. This is what I like about it. I can't remember even one unhappy ending... (anywhere else if you refuse to consider this arc as canon...)
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 21:55   Link #76
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
@Relentless: Maybe we could get a "Changes made by the Febri arc" thread where we can discuss all of that? It would be a little more broad than a timeline one and there is still some other stuff we could discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
That's all you got out of my post? But yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that. It makes sense on one level because not everything should have a happy ending, but it doesn't on another level because there shouldn't be unhappy endings in this city when heroes are there to help you out. It should only happen when heroes aren't there to fix the problem.
There's never been a guarantee that everybody gets a happy ending. True it's always been said AC is full of heroes, but it's always been clear that not everybody gets a happy ending. Obviously I can't tell you in this thread because of spoilers but I'm sure you can think of a few examples. Them taking away one of those few examples (in fact the worst one imo) and replacing it with a slap on the wrist is very frustrating.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 21:57   Link #77
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
@Relentless: Maybe we could get a "Changes made by the Febri arc" thread where we can discuss all of that? It would be a little more broad than a timeline one and there is still some other stuff we could discuss.



There's never been a guarantee that everybody gets a happy ending. True it's always been said AC is full of heroes, but it's always been clear that not everybody gets a happy ending. Obviously I can't tell you in this thread because of spoilers but I'm sure you can think of a few examples. Them taking away one of those few examples (in fact the worst one imo) and replacing it with a slap on the wrist is very frustrating.
I edited my post before you replied to it. Sorry about that. I changed it to bittersweet ending. It's never really actually tragic, just bittersweet. Plus, there is this large tendency for the anime to always fluff up (with happier endings) the LNs + manga, that's been true in both Railgun and Index from season 1 so that isn't really new... I did like the Sisters arc though because of that, but I liked this second arc for the opposite reason (if that makes sense). (BTW I got sleep )
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 22:01   Link #78
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
That's all you got out of my post?
Don't like to make walls of text.
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 22:03   Link #79
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Don't like to make walls of text.
Ok... I was just trying to make my point, so I needed the walls of text to do so .
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 22:03   Link #80
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I edited my post before you replied to it. Sorry about that. I changed it to bittersweet ending. It's never really actually tragic, just bittersweet.
Feeling regret is not nearly on the same level as being dragged off to some hell where she will never be seen again. Sure it kind of sucks but it's a completely different scale.

Quote:
Plus, there is this large tendency for the anime to always fluff up (with happier endings) the LNs + manga, that's been true in both Railgun and Index from season 1 so that isn't really new... I did like the Sisters arc though because of that, but I liked this second arc for the opposite reason (if that makes sense). (BTW I got sleep )
Why is it okay just because it was done before? That's no excuse. If anything they should have learned from their past mistake and not done it again. And it's only a Railgun problem, Index anime never added any new arcs that ruined something from the old one.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.