AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-09-30, 08:37   Link #41
oompa loompa

Goddamn its about time someone made this thread. Both Shingeki no Kyojin and BB ending in the same week? Sad, sad week... I need to vent.

Awesome show, best show I've ever seen on TV. The ending was underwhelming, but hey, it was always going to be.

Please, please; if you haven't watched this show go watch it
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 09:40   Link #42
james0246

Near perfect conclusion to one of the best televisions shows I've ever seen. Everything that needed to be done was done, and while there were no major surprises (beyond the conclusion to the Grey Matter storyline), I didn't really expect any from the conclusion of the series. This was a great farewell.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 09:59   Link #43
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

This show was really slow at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Easily one of the best TV dramas of all time, and even ends on a satisfying note.
Old 2013-09-30, 10:24   Link #44
oompa loompa

Anyone up for some 'Better call Saul'? Can't expect it to be great, but I'd stick with it for a little time just to get some more of the BB universe
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 10:37   Link #45
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Anyone up for some 'Better call Saul'? Can't expect it to be great, but I'd stick with it for a little time just to get some more of the BB universe
If it was about Saul trying to make his way in Nebraska, I'd watch it in a heartbeat. Sadly, it's about Saul's early days, so I'll probably wait a season or more to see what critics say.

Otherwise, I'll just wait for the Mexican version of Breaking Bad - Metastasis, the story of Walter Blanco and Jose Miguel Rosas .
Old 2013-09-30, 16:37   Link #46
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I can't remember where I read it it, but a reviewer, after the episode titled "Ozymandias", brought forth the idea that said episode was the "moment modern television drama reached the same level of cultural significance as Greek tragedies and William Shakespeare plays".

Might be overstating it somewhat but, I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks this show will be studied in film school in the future or even beyond that. It really was a fantastically crafted, acted, and directed show.
Old 2013-09-30, 17:29   Link #47
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
I can't remember where I read it it, but a reviewer, after the episode titled "Ozymandias", brought forth the idea that said episode was the "moment modern television drama reached the same level of cultural significance as Greek tragedies and William Shakespeare plays".

Might be overstating it somewhat but, I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks this show will be studied in film school in the future or even beyond that. It really was a fantastically crafted, acted, and directed show.
I dunno, it might be a little ridiculous sounding right now, but this show is modern Shakespeare level IMO. As they always say about Shakespeare, it appealed to both the groundlings and the more refined audience...

This is the best television show I have EVER seen, and it will be sorely missed. Such an amazing ending though... I've gotta say, this is really a case where some true genius minds came together and created the perfect storm of entertainment and art.

I could honestly sing the praises of this show all day long, but the only thing one can do is go out and watch it on Netflix or whatever if they haven't had the pleasure of seeing it yet.

One thing I'll say is
Spoiler for final scene:
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 18:14   Link #48
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

How about Todd and his creepy ringtone? I LOL'd at that one.
Old 2013-09-30, 18:29   Link #49
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

The ending really was incredible. Usually when shows end, I feel sad and depressed. But not this time. I felt a great sense of satisfaction. I went to bed with a smile on my face.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:44   Link #50
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
How about Todd and his creepy ringtone? I LOL'd at that one.
A psychopath in love...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
The ending really was incredible. Usually when shows end, I feel sad and depressed. But not this time. I felt a great sense of satisfaction. I went to bed with a smile on my face.
Me too. I'm still sad it's over, but it was just such a perfect ending that I couldn't really argue for it to go on in any way.

I am looking forward to Better Call Saul, though (if it happens). This is a confirmed thing, now? I thought it was just a rumor. I will spend the whole show wanting to see Walt and Jessie, though, lol.
Old 2013-09-30, 21:00   Link #51
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I haven't watched this show yet, but how would you rank it against other shows that I really enjoyed?

- House
- Buffy the vampire slayer.
- Lost
- Game of thrones.
- Grim.
- The walking dead.

Thanks.
Old 2013-09-30, 21:26   Link #52
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)

^ It's better than all of them by leaps and bounds, and that's not an exaggeration. Only one that even comes close is Game of Thrones...and it's not a very close.

Anyway, some nice stuff:

>"Breaking Bad" ended at episode 62. If you look at the periodic table, element 62 is Samarium. Samarium (153 Sm) lexidronam is an injection given to treat pain in cancer patients.

>The total length of episodes 61 and 62 were 60 minutes, meant to symbolize the fall of a king before his time.

Spoiler:

What the Felina title was inspired from:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/09/30...-felina-title/
Old 2013-09-30, 21:40   Link #53
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Better by leaps and bounds? Says someone with a breaking bad avatar? I am sure the show is good but I would appreciate an actual analysis instead of fanboyism.
Old 2013-09-30, 22:13   Link #54
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)

I'm sorry if I liked the finale, unlike every show you listed there that has ended. I've watched all of those shows, and Breaking Bad is by far better than all of them. It's not fanboyism, it's the truth. It doesn't drag on for as many seasons and episodes as them so the story is concise, there are no pointless episodes, even the episodes that seem like filler are pivotal character development episodes that tie back into future episodes and seasons. The show as an art form is unmatched by any of those shows or any on TV, with tons of symbolism, foreshadowing, metaphors, and imagery used, several examples of which you can see in my above post.

The actors on the show have won multiple Emmys for their performances and are so good in their roles that they've seamlessly made a transition from TV to film, which is obviously an impressive feat. The story arc of Walter White is handled expertly and one of the most interesting character studies ever made in modern media, and that is not an exaggeration. Walter White will be looked back and studied on in a similar vain to Charles Foster Kane and the like. It's that good.

I can't get into it without spoiling it, which is why I just left it at that it's better by leaps and bounds than those shows. Because it is. You can ask anybody who has seen the show and those you listed and 9/10 they will tell you Breaking Bad shits all over them. It is undoubtedly the best television show in a VERY long time if not ever and most people will tell you that.

Is that enough of an "analysis" for you? When you ask people about something you haven't watched yet yourself and they tell you it's better than everything I suggest listening instead of asking for "analysis" like it means anything.
Old 2013-09-30, 22:24   Link #55
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Forget about Sugetsu, his just a troll, ignore him
Old 2013-10-01, 00:18   Link #56
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I haven't watched this show yet, but how would you rank it against other shows that I really enjoyed?

- House
- Buffy the vampire slayer.
- Lost
- Game of thrones.
- Grim.
- The walking dead.

Thanks.
I'm not sure what your really asking. Of the series you've named, only Buffy is even close to being relatable to Breaking Bad, and that is only because there was a central story focused extensively on one character that slowly evolved as the story evolved. But, even then, Buffy has far fewer character flaws and the stories being told are far more epic in nature than the smaller dramas of Breaking Bad. Everything else you've listed is far too episodic in nature (House and Grim), or the stories have no central character (Lost, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead).

If you are asking in terms of quality, Breaking Bad is easily better than all on your list (Buffy would have been a serious contender, but it fell apart in the end). More believable and interesting acting, better or at least more interesting characters, better dialogue, better pacing, more interesting directing that didn't rely on gimmicks. Etc.

In terms of mark on television history, only Buffy on your list can equal Breaking Bad (with Lost in a distant second place).

I'm sure there is some other methods of interpretation I can provide, but in the end Breaking Bad has little to do with any of the series you've listed. It's real contemporaries are shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, and The Shield.
Old 2013-10-01, 03:10   Link #57
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
A psychopath in love...

Spoiler:

Me too. I'm still sad it's over, but it was just such a perfect ending that I couldn't really argue for it to go on in any way.

I am looking forward to Better Call Saul, though (if it happens). This is a confirmed thing, now? I thought it was just a rumor. I will spend the whole show wanting to see Walt and Jessie, though, lol.
Yeah, Better Call Saul is really happening.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 10:41   Link #58
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Wasn't there a Breaking Bad thread before?

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=105658
Old 2013-10-01, 19:23   Link #59
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Better by leaps and bounds? Says someone with a breaking bad avatar? I am sure the show is good but I would appreciate an actual analysis instead of fanboyism.
I'm a big fan of Buffy and Game of Thrones, but yeah, Breaking Bad is better by leaps and bounds. True statement. (james's apples and oranges point is probably a more prudent analysis, but honestly, in terms of sheer, "holy shit this show is just mind blowingly amazing" meter, Breaking Bad just blows everything away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Yeah, Better Call Saul is really happening.
Now if I remember correctly, Huell wasn't introduced until midway through Breaking Bad, so if it's a prequel, there won't be any Huell. Of course, Bob Odenkirk is funny enough on his own, but I'll miss Huell.
Old 2013-10-01, 20:04   Link #60
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
It doesn't drag on for as many seasons and episodes as them so the story is concise, there are no pointless episodes, even the episodes that seem like filler are pivotal character development episodes that tie back into future episodes and seasons.
Speaking of pointless episodes and filler that's actually used as character development, do these last few episodes do anything to make Marie's klepto habits relevant? I know it's wishful thinking at this point, but that was probably the only aspect of this entire series I struggled to find a meaningful purpose for back when it was an issue she had to deal with. And that's because I can't recall anything her kleptomania lead her to do that had any major or relevant impact on the most important parts of the plot.

Long story short, it's a part of her character that I never could realize a practical purpose for.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking bad