AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-10-03, 04:46   Link #21
Traece
:cool:

Obligatory Norio Wakamoto in every role he speaks English in. Notably, in Azumanga Daioh. Although he pronounces everything very well. Also, he wishes he were a bird.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-03, 07:41   Link #22
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
As far as I am aware, they had native English speakers provide the voice acting, hence the natural-sounding English.
Same for TK in Angel Beats. My understanding is that he was an American.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 10:21   Link #23
RJ TAYLER

Norio Wakamoto has a 'leg up' as his previous posting in the Japanese Police Force has foreign languages as a requirement of the job, if you want to achieve a senior rank at least. As handling the stray tourist and/or extradition and apprehension of foreign criminal element being two examples of it in use that spring to my mind immediately.
Old 2013-10-04, 09:58   Link #24
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Kate in Sketchbook speaks decent English because, IIRC, her seiyuu is Sayaka Ohara, who can - and does - speak English. With an American accent. ^_^; Listen to her portrayal of Ms. Thompson in Upotte; she plays the character as speaking American-accented Japanese, with English code-switching.

I disagree on Raising Heart and Bardiche, however. While the individual words are pronounced correctly... the grammar and vocab leaves something to be desired.

An example of some decent English can be seen in Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, where the crew chief and pilots use English commands, and where aviation terms are spoken in English.

Also, the fighter intercept sequence in Patlabor The Movie 2, where an element of F-15 Kai Eagles, callsign Wizard, are being vectored to intercept a pair of F-16Js. The Wizard pilots and ground controller speak in correct - if Japanese-accented - English.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 10:10   Link #25
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Also, the fighter intercept sequence in Patlabor The Movie 2, where an element of F-15 Kai Eagles, callsign Wizard, are being vectored to intercept a pair of F-16Js. The Wizard pilots and ground controller speak in correct - if Japanese-accented - English.
If I'm not wrong, air force personnel use English terminology a lot. It's reflected in Sentou Yousei Yukikaze also
Old 2013-10-04, 10:10   Link #26
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
I disagree on Raising Heart and Bardiche, however. While the individual words are pronounced correctly... the grammar and vocab leaves something to be desired.
That's probably less the seiyuu's fault and more the creator's fault. I mean, Japanese are notorious for their Engrish ability, and I'm not sure mere seiyuu can have a say in it.
Old 2013-10-04, 11:37   Link #27
Ithekro
Warning

Quote:
Kate in Sketchbook speaks decent English because, IIRC, her seiyuu is Sayaka Ohara, who can - and does - speak English. With an American accent. ^_^; Listen to her portrayal of Ms. Thompson in Upotte; she plays the character as speaking American-accented Japanese, with English code-switching.
Kate was played by Yūko Gotō. Who can speak in fairy good English...sometimes. She also pulled off butchered Japanese quite well.

The rest of the statement is correct about Sayaka Ohara
Old 2013-10-04, 11:49   Link #28
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
If I'm not wrong, air force personnel use English terminology a lot. It's reflected in Sentou Yousei Yukikaze also
Ayup. English is the international language pf aviation. For the most part, however, the English used in Yukikaze isn't exactly what I'd call good. Nowhere near the same level as the intercept sequence in Patlabor 2, where you can understand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
That's probably less the seiyuu's fault and more the creator's fault. I mean, Japanese are notorious for their Engrish ability, and I'm not sure mere seiyuu can have a say in it.
Well, yeah, if we're counting the words. You have a point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Kate was played by Yūko Gotō. Who can speak in fairy good English...sometimes. She also pulled off butchered Japanese quite well.

The rest of the statement is correct about Sayaka Ohara
*facepalm* I'm getting old.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 13:30   Link #29
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
As per Bardiche and Raising Heart, though, considering how their English grammar has improved over the course of the series, you have to wonder if the writers actually took some advice from the seiyuu. Either that or, as I think I stated previously, Raising Heart and Bardiche are not longer powered by Google Translate!

As for another character with uncommonly good English grammar, even if she does have accent, let me introduce Suzu Hagimura of Seitokai Yakuindomo. Just don't call her a "little girl"....
YouTube
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 14:03   Link #30
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
As for another character with uncommonly good English grammar, even if she does have accent, let me introduce Suzu Hagimura of Seitokai Yakuindomo. Just don't call her a "little girl"....
I remember noticing that.

That's a fantastic scene too, I love her reaction.
Old 2013-10-07, 16:49   Link #31
scineram

So, apparently Ono Yuuki can also speak decently if he tries. I don't know who played the american kids, but they weren't too bad either. They might have been some native speakers. Tatsuya was also good. Kuroko is looking much better now than KinMosa.
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 20:02   Link #32
Frontier

I remember hearing that Tetsuya Kakihara can speak english. Though I think only his German has ever really been highlighted in anime, particularly Nanoha.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 14:44   Link #33
Haak
Forever Alone...

The only anime I can think of is Sakamichi no Apollon.

When Junichi does his main gig, iirc they hired a different voice actor to do the singing so I don't know if it counts or not:
YouTube

Although heavily accented, I also liked the English in My Favourite Things:
YouTube
Old 2013-10-09, 22:05   Link #34
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Although heavily accented, I also liked the English in My Favourite Things:
Honestly her accent doesn't show once she starts to get into it. That's actually a pretty great performance, and for someone who speaks an entirely different language no less.

Also, they made an entire anime about playing jazz and I didn't know about it? Oh man... I must live in a cave.