AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Old 2013-10-26, 23:12   Link #301
whitecloud
Banned

maybe since hes already being aggro first by nyanta? the more you attack the higher your threat level, even if anchor howl raise it considerably, it will still pale in consideration to nyanta who have been attacking it for sometime....plus there is also range to consider, if naotsugu want to take aggro from nyanta, either he must attack or he must use skill that put him on top of threat level immediately
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 00:58   Link #302
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

You should probably tweet and ask the author since the author is known to respond to questions. The only other thing I can think of is he wasn't in range the anime just made it seem like they where really close. The user is still given a choice whether or not to attack the person who used the skill. It isn't a instant auto aggro skill like a taunt. These type of skills don't have a long range anyway.
Old 2013-10-27, 01:18   Link #303
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Hmm.. yes, but even if it's not instant auto aggro, the counter-effect(target not attacking the guardian will received a strong counter attack, like in ep. 2 with the PK) should still trigger since the condition is still fulfilled(that Demi-something guy hear Naotsugu's Anchor Howl shout). I would understand if the fight happens quite far away from the mob, but there's no reason or explicit statement in the novel that Demi-something would fight somewhere far from the guild-mob.
Old 2013-10-27, 01:37   Link #304
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

It doesn't seem like you play mmorpgs very often. This skill isn't a taunt. It gives the caster a choice to counter attack any enemies within range that isn't focused onto them. I don't know if demiglaze was in range. Even if he was in range I would highly doubt Natotsugu would attack demiglaze. In order to answer your question you would personally need a answer from the production studio or the author. If you would like to understand what he was doing on the other hand. His sole purpose was to draw attention from the rest of the mob. He is fully surrounded by enemies. Hes also needs to deal with the enemy mage with the addition of a group of healers. Unlike episode two where he only needed to deal with three people he was dealing with a whole guild. If he split his attention somewhere else he would've died. Its a small group against a huge guild. Just with pure numbers demiglaze just needed his minions to bumrush Shiroe and they would've of died. Power in numbers I think this was mentioned in a earlier episode about how huge guilds started to exert their dominance and smaller guilds got smaller. If Naotsugu did anything other than focusing his role of distracting/tanking the whole group would've of died. His role was not to kill nor attack demiglaze. This role was given to Nyanta and than Shiroe.
Old 2013-10-27, 02:43   Link #305
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

ic ic. It seems that I misunderstand the skill I thought it's a skill that makes you automatically counterattack enemy that target something beside you(the tank).

Just one thing though, according to the "official" wiki, back when Elder Tale was still a game, anchor howl is indeed a taunting skill. Beside raising the hate of enemy toward the guardian, the guardian will gain defense buff for a short while after using the skill. The rule might have change into what you mention though now that elder tale is no longer a game, which is why I might have misunderstood how the skill works now.
Old 2013-10-27, 11:03   Link #306
Estavali
厨紳士です

Actually you are right to think that it is a taunt. In the novel it's mentioned that tanks are useless if all they have are tough defense and lots of HP. Mobs in Elder Tale can be quite intelligent and as volume three has shown, they will bypass the tank to attack whichever party member that's dealing the highest damage atm, which unfortunately is usually a Sorc or Summoner with their paper-thin defense. This is where the taunt comes in, where the enemy is forced to turn their attention to the taunting tank instead.

It should be the counter-attack part that had caused the confusion, I guess. Maybe in the game Anchor Howl does allow the Guardian to deal damage to everyone that ignores his taunt, but in this world I guess it's probably impossible for just a guy with a sword and shield to do the same, and most Guardians may be forced to limit themselves to only a target at a time

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 11:38   Link #307
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I figured Anchor Howl is a AoE taunt vs mobs, and in PvP it was a massive penalty debuff (increase your damage by 1000% or something if they target someone other than you) to encourage them to attack you.

But now the world is real, if sleep works, then any threat taunts should work to some extent on the players as well, hah.
Old 2013-10-28, 17:32   Link #308
Avento
Lone Wolf

i just realise this but does elder tale has no pots? during the fight with demicas, nyanta and naotsugu just completely rely on serara's healing to replenish their hp

Avento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 18:01   Link #309
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avento View Post
i just realise this but does elder tale has no pots? during the fight with demicas, nyanta and naotsugu just completely rely on serara's healing to replenish their hp
no idea but they might not have time to used potions.
Old 2013-10-28, 18:45   Link #310
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avento View Post
In the game. One can access item by pressing the item or shortcut key but when the Apocalypse happen. Its not the same anymore. They need to take out the ite from their pouch or bag and use it manually. Look at how the use the summoning flute.

So yes, they don't have time to use it.

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 23:41   Link #311
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
In the game. One can access item by pressing the item or shortcut key but when the Apocalypse happen. Its not the same anymore. They need to take out the ite from their pouch or bag and use it manually. Look at how the use the summoning flute.

So yes, they don't have time to use it.
or maybe you just can't use items in combat period.

are any specific game mechanics explicitly stated somewhere in the novel?
Old 2013-10-28, 23:57   Link #312
Estavali
厨紳士です

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
or maybe you just can't use items in combat period.

are any specific game mechanics explicitly stated somewhere in the novel?
There's no mechanics whatsoever stopping people from using items during a fight and using items during battle is mentioned in volume three.

Signature by liro
Old 2013-10-29, 00:48   Link #313
Xellos-_^
Married

a few question

1. cooking, can anybody cook? or does only players who have the Chef subclass cook for real. Does someone who does not have the chef subclass go through motion of cooking come up with real meal or just brunt crumbs.

2. what is naotsugu's subclass?
Old 2013-10-29, 00:57   Link #314
Estavali
厨紳士です

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
a few question

1. cooking, can anybody cook? or does only players who have the Chef subclass cook for real. Does someone who does not have the chef subclass go through motion of cooking come up with real meal or just brunt crumbs.

2. what is naotsugu's subclass?
1. Hmm, everyone can do simple stuff like sprinkling salt onto food (that's considered cooking too). But anything even slightly more complex than that, such as roasting a sausage over a fire, one needs to have the Cook sub-job (otherwise the end product will be something unknown, unspeakable and of course inedible).

2. Naotsugu's sub-job is Border Patrol. Hope Mamare will go into what it does sooner or later =3

Signature by liro
Old 2013-10-29, 01:05   Link #315
Marina2

Question: Is next ep. of anime still in the first volume of the novel?

If so, I guess each volume of novel must have a lot of pages....
Old 2013-10-29, 01:25   Link #316
Estavali
厨紳士です

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Question: Is next ep. of anime still in the first volume of the novel?

If so, I guess each volume of novel must have a lot of pages....
The next episode is the start of volume two, which, hmmm... should run up to episode nine or ten (each volume has five chapters).

Signature by liro
Old 2013-10-29, 01:40   Link #317
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
The next episode is the start of volume two, which, hmmm... should run up to episode nine or ten (each volume has five chapters).
What volume you think the anime will reach, if they go full two course?
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 01:50   Link #318
Xacual
The color of a Hero

An anon on /a/ started translating volume 2. He's translating from chinese and it's a little rough but if you're impatient like me you can give it a glance.

http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/95859448/
Old 2013-10-29, 02:46   Link #319
Estavali
厨紳士です

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
What volume you think the anime will reach, if they go full two course?
Imho, they should be able to cover the first five volumes, aka the first major arc.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
An anon on /a/ started translating volume 2. He's translating from chinese and it's a little rough but if you're impatient like me you can give it a glance.

http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/95859448/
Quickly people, direct your blessings to this nyanderful person!

Signature by liro
Old 2013-10-29, 02:49   Link #320
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Volume 2 should end with episode 11, and Volume 3+ should be from episode 12, judging from the VA script.
At the rate it's going, and what the OP suggest, it's 99% likely this season of anime will end with volume 5's end.

However, considering:
1. This is NHK. They tend to do all the way to the end as long as source material can keep up (without having a five+ year hiatus like 12kingdoms), so it's very likely we'll see season 2. Mamare isn't known for being a slow writer.
2. When casting William, Mamare gave specific orders to how he wants him done, due to his role in the seventh novel. In the season 1 of anime, we're not going to see much of him, just briefly likely in episode 10. This gives a good feeling that season 2 is very well contemplated, even if it's not planned outright.

It's very strongly likely season two will come not too long after, hopefully within a year or so.

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers