AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-12, 15:25   Link #1
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
Civilization: Beyond Earth



http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/ci...logy-and-more/

Haven't gotten chills from a trailer since forever. The hype is real!
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 15:30   Link #2
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Alpha Centauri 2! Yey!
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 15:52   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That's a pretty good trailer no doubt. Definitely some nice buildup and tone with it.

Curious to see how the next Civ turns out with that kind of premise behind it.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 15:58   Link #4
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
If only these kind of games would come to consoles. Always loved these kind of games, but as someine who doesn't have the funds to make a gaming rig it's kind if sad I won't get to play it.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 16:07   Link #5
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
If only these kind of games would come to consoles. Always loved these kind of games, but as someine who doesn't have the funds to make a gaming rig it's kind if sad I won't get to play it.
I play Civ5 on a laptop that cost me $250 two years ago. You don't need a thousand dollar computer to play games.
__________________
Xacual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:30   Link #6
Strigon 13
Electrosphere
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Why do you want to know?
Age: 25
If this game happens to be a spiritual succesor/remake of Alpha Centauri, I'll gladly give my money to Firaxis.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic131508_1.gif
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:32   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
If only these kind of games would come to consoles. Always loved these kind of games, but as someine who doesn't have the funds to make a gaming rig it's kind if sad I won't get to play it.
It's a turn-based game. If you own a recent computer you can play it.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:34   Link #8
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else? Civilization going to space implies they're not going to continue the historical spirit of the previous games in the next iterations, and I really don't like the thought of that.

Aside from that concern, yeah, I'm hyped for this as well!
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:53   Link #9
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else?
Because another company own the right of it.
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:55   Link #10
Rayneing
Trombe!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: England.
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else? Civilization going to space implies they're not going to continue the historical spirit of the previous games in the next iterations, and I really don't like the thought of that.
The Alpha Centauri IP belongs to EA, I believe. Much easier to just expand the Civilization name, especially considering Alpha Centauri was only created because they didn't have the Civilization IP at the time.
__________________
Rayneing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 18:47   Link #11
VDZ
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I play Civ5 on a laptop that cost me $250 two years ago. You don't need a thousand dollar computer to play games.
What kind of magic does your laptop perform? Mine was 700 euros two years ago and is only capable of running Civ V when set to full performance - any lighter power setting makes the game lag significantly. Even at full performance, loading times take ages. Civ V is programmed in a very inefficient way and uses an excessive amount of resources for what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else? Civilization going to space implies they're not going to continue the historical spirit of the previous games in the next iterations, and I really don't like the thought of that.
Because
1) They can't use the Alpha Centauri name (trademark now owned by EA); but more importantly
2) This is not Alpha Centauri 2. From what I've heard of it so far, it's going to be closer to Civ V than Alpha Centauri. AC will definitely have its influence on this, but this is Civilization in space, not a sequel to Alpha Centauri.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 18:47   Link #12
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else? Civilization going to space implies they're not going to continue the historical spirit of the previous games in the next iterations, and I really don't like the thought of that.

Aside from that concern, yeah, I'm hyped for this as well!
Other than what others have said, there is also the fact that we now know as a fact that Alpha Centauri does NOT have a habitable planet, so it doesn't make sense to go there anymore.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 18:51   Link #13
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Hopefully this would be mechanically different enough than the usual Civ games. While SMAC is highly revered, it is still essentially a Civ game with a sci fi skin.

Out of the features listed on their official website, i'm most interested in the orbital layer function. It would great to add some 3D space into a traditional 2D turn based 4X game. Looking forward to see how they handle it.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:12   Link #14
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
What kind of magic does your laptop perform? Mine was 700 euros two years ago and is only capable of running Civ V when set to full performance - any lighter power setting makes the game lag significantly. Even at full performance, loading times take ages. Civ V is programmed in a very inefficient way and uses an excessive amount of resources for what it does.
I mean loading time to start games does take a while, and in large games with lots of city states and players turns take a long time for the computer to process but it's not long enough to actually bother me.
__________________
Xacual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:31   Link #15
Strigon 13
Electrosphere
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Why do you want to know?
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
2) This is not Alpha Centauri 2. From what I've heard of it so far, it's going to be closer to Civ V than Alpha Centauri. AC will definitely have its influence on this, but this is Civilization in space, not a sequel to Alpha Centauri.
I wonder if will be like Galactic Civilizations/that mod for Civ4 (can't remember the name) or something in the lines of that. But something like Civilization in space just sounds... weird.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic131508_1.gif
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:24   Link #16
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I play Civ5 on a laptop that cost me $250 two years ago. You don't need a thousand dollar computer to play games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's a turn-based game. If you own a recent computer you can play it.
Really?, hmmm well now I'm thinking of getting this when it releases, thanks.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:32   Link #17
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
My main point was, "Civilizations" has always been rooted on historical settings, even if they're not entirely accurate. Going to space completely steps outside of that, so IMO at the very least it should have a different name even if the genre is basically the same. My biggest fear is that after this comes out, CIV VI or CIV VII or the next ones might no longer have historical root and continue with the space theme. Here's hoping the name "Beyond Earth" functions as such distinction.

Anyways, since this time the starting timeline is space, I also fear the possible Civ candidate is greatly narrowed down unless it takes place in a fictional world, or if we also have Alien Civs. As awesome as Space Mayans, Space Ottomans, or Space Mongols sound, I doubt they'll be in this game. Or who knows, maybe they'll decide "screw it" and put them in
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:36   Link #18
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
I want them to bring back the awesome quotes from Alpla Centauri. Those, other than the alien landscape, were the best part of the game.

I am so fucking hype I am shaking. This is the kind of game I'd fucking preorder on Steam no matter the price tag.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:43   Link #19
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
My main point was, "Civilizations" has always been rooted on historical settings, even if they're not entirely accurate. Going to space completely steps outside of that, so IMO at the very least it should have a different name even if the genre is basically the same. My biggest fear is that after this comes out, CIV VI or CIV VII or the next ones might no longer have historical root and continue with the space theme. Here's hoping the name "Beyond Earth" functions as such distinction.

Anyways, since this time the starting timeline is space, I also fear the possible Civ candidate is greatly narrowed down unless it takes place in a fictional world, or if we also have Alien Civs. As awesome as Space Mayans, Space Ottomans, or Space Mongols sound, I doubt they'll be in this game. Or who knows, maybe they'll decide "screw it" and put them in
You will find the link below helpful. It has a lot of details.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/ci...logy-and-more/
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:57   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Sold!

Dem feels from that video. Damn I cannot wait for this.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.