AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-01-29, 00:44   Link #1141
bludvein

I don't think the 2nd year is anywhere near over yet. It might be nearing the end of a semester though.

Last edited by bludvein; 2014-01-29 at 02:02.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 01:18   Link #1142
Ickarium

The teaser explicitly says "The final battle of the second semester which will be ending soon."

In Japan, most of the time they have three semesters, so. Likely not over yet anyway, but it is the second semester.
Old 2014-01-29, 01:21   Link #1143
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
I don't think the 2nd year is anywhere near over yet. It might be nearing the end of the first semester though.
Unfortunately the preview for volume 17, did say that the fight that occurs in volume 17 is the final battle of the Second Semester, so ... unless you want to suggest that n0m@n has made a translation error in his preview, I think it means that we are slowly getting to the end of Ise's 2 year in Kuou Academy.

@Tbolt

I agree ... I didn't deny the possibility that Ise and the rest of team DxD are going to have some improvements in terms of their stamina consumption and other parameters, which will rise their efficiency and force their enemies to become more serious against them.

It's just that ... to something like that is not enough to be called a major power up, since I believe that Sun Wukong's training is going to show some ... gradual improvement and not some significant boost after just a few days / weeks (depending on how much time passes between the events of volume 16 and volume 17) of training.

Regarding Ise using his Great Red / Ophis capabilities ... while, I could see Ise start using his dragonification ability in combat with some increased effectiveness, compared to the time he uses it, in volume 14 - with the fight against Crom Cruach being the inspiration to start developing this ability - but, I doubt that he is going to show any new abilities in that area, due to the fact that his current bodies lifespan is still in a unstable state and the author hasn't mentioned yet, that something about Ise's current lifespan issues has changed.

Last edited by Chris38; 2014-01-29 at 01:44.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 01:32   Link #1144
G147

Ishibumi already revealed the timeline for Volume 17-19.

Quote:
"The depression of the 100 yen Valkyrie and the arrival of her grandmother".
Ise and co trains for the upcoming battle. During such time, Rossweisse's grandmother comes to visit the Hyoudou residence. Rossweisse looks up to her grandmother from the bottom of her heart as she a living legendary magician, but something is wrong......
Also the main girl for Volume 18 and 19 is determined!

Also Volume 17 would be he end of the second semester and is Rossweisse's volume.
Volume 18 would be winter holiday and is Irina's volume.
Volume 19 would be the start of the third semester and is Xenovia's volume.
Volume 17 would take place in the school Sona is building. Rossweisse's past and her hidden ability would be revealed. (The author revealed it in his twitter)
Taken from High School DxD Wikia. (Info taken from n0m@n/Shin Code-Zero)
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 02:33   Link #1145
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris38 View Post
Unfortunately the preview for volume 17, did say that the fight that occurs in volume 17 is the final battle of the Second Semester, so ... unless you want to suggest that n0m@n has made a translation error in his preview, I think it means that we are slowly getting to the end of Ise's 2 year in Kuou Academy.

@Tbolt

I agree ... I didn't deny the possibility that Ise and the rest of team DxD are going to have some improvements in terms of their stamina consumption and other parameters, which will rise their efficiency and force their enemies to become more serious against them.

It's just that ... to something like that is not enough to be called a major power up, since I believe that Sun Wukong's training is going to show some ... gradual improvement and not some significant boost after just a few days / weeks (depending on how much time passes between the events of volume 16 and volume 17) of training.

Regarding Ise using his Great Red / Ophis capabilities ... while, I could see Ise start using his dragonification ability in combat with some increased effectiveness, compared to the time he uses it, in volume 14 - with the fight against Crom Cruach being the inspiration to start developing this ability - but, I doubt that he is going to show any new abilities in that area, due to the fact that his current bodies lifespan is still in a unstable state and the author hasn't mentioned yet, that something about Ise's current lifespan issues has changed.
My bad, I changed my post earlier because I thought it looked off. Figured it had to be the first or second semester at any rate. Still a full semester left though.

I agree about Sun Wukong's training not yielding any sudden power-ups. Those seem to be triggered by emotional stress. That said, what Ise needs most right now is that kind of stable training. He still needs to master Trianna and CCQ before adding more work on top of it. Plus, Sun Wukong might teach him actual martial arts instead of that mishmash of hand-to-hand that he picked up from experience.

I don't think the dragonification is tied to the life-span issue, so I don't see how that would matter. Problem is, he can't revert back on his own. As great as he finds the sessions with Rias/Akeno, that needs to go first before he can develop it.

Last edited by bludvein; 2014-01-29 at 02:46.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 09:17   Link #1146
Tbolt

Quote:
First Gen lightly tapped my armor with his staff.

--And then, aura flowed forth from my body! Is this the power of senjutsu?

My body, did it ever have this much aura? No, was it sleeping?
Sun Wukong was able to unlock hidden power in Ise at the battle in Kyoto way before getting a body from Great Red and some power from Ophis.
Quote:
Even though there was help from Ophis, you received your flesh from Great Red. You can say that you are a small True-Dragon.]

So in other words I am like Great Red’s child.
That quote IMO tells me that Ise just needs to unlock himself, so with Sun Wukongs training he will help Ise "find himself". It may take Ise time to fully use his power there still will be a huge boost over how he is now. And with that power and Ophis's power I think his life span issues will be gone.

Last edited by Tbolt; 2014-01-29 at 09:46.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 10:07   Link #1147
Sayaka Rei

I read the preview of vol. 17, wow looks really interesting !

Considering the phrase from Kuroka, I wonder if there will be a new power up for Koneko... because she speaks of the jutsu of Koneko...

Last edited by Sayaka Rei; 2014-02-01 at 09:23.
Sayaka Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 10:14   Link #1148
Superbia

If the school year is broken in three, then it is a trimester, not a semester, though it might all be the same word in Japanese.
Superbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 10:41   Link #1149
Chris38

@Tbolt

Well, it's true that Ise might need some understanding of himself to resolve the problem with his lifespan ... but, I doubt that's the only thing that needs to be done to resolve this issue.

I think that he won't be able to resolve this problem and gradually start unlocking the powers of Great Red and Ophis, which is being mixed within Ise's body, until this power reaches some balanced state between the Infinite and the Dream, which might require some assistance from a Senjutsu user that has more experience then Koneko and the most likely candidate to do that is Sun Wukong.

It's also going to be a gradual process, since it's something that messes with the structure of Ise's current body ... so Sun Wukong is going to have to be careful not to make Ise's body even more unstable then it currently is.

Another problem is the fact that Ise's current body is unique ... which has been mentioned by Rizevim, in volume 16 - so pretty much no one (besides Ishibumi) is capable of knowing how Ise's body works, which is an additional reason, why we are going to see a pretty slow development when it comes to 'fixing' the state of Ise's current body.

Basically it won't be something that is going to happen in the course of a single volume.

Last edited by Chris38; 2014-01-29 at 10:58.
Old 2014-01-29, 10:45   Link #1150
Gary29

I don't think Ise will unlock Great Red and Ophis's powers so soon, but I agree with what Tbolt said, except I'm not sure how the life-force stabilization will play out. He's going to need some sort of boost, whatever it may be, to be able to beat Euclid and take Rossweisse back yet not be able to destroy him yet. It'll probably come about from Ddraig's re-energized state, like Ishibumi mentioned in Volume 16's Afterword.

FanFiction

Highschool DxD is my all-time favorite series!
Gary29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 11:19   Link #1151
Tbolt

Well since Ise's body and Great Reds body are one in the same, as in the earlier post Ise is a small True Dragon, and with the help of Sun Wukong Ise's powers are going to slowly start emerging.

But your right there is not going to be a switch flipped and Ise's powers activate all at one time, but at the same time the power is just waiting to be awakened.
Old 2014-01-29, 14:49   Link #1152
teejmo

Wait a minute, if Ise is actually a small True Dragon, and he could be considered the son of Great Red, does that mean he might have the potential to be as strong as Great Red without his Boosted Gear? Now, if you take that and add to it Boosted Gear...

Well, that's a big if. I mean, neither Vali nor his father are/were anywhere near Rizevim's level...
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 15:21   Link #1153
Tbolt

@teejmo volume 12, life.0
Quote:
[Appearance, shape, and certain parts are the same as that of a human. You can continue your life normally like before. But since the evil-pieces are missing from your body, you can say that you are a humanoid Dragon. Even though there was help from Ophis, you received your flesh from Great Red. You can say that you are a small True-Dragon.]

So in other words I am like Great Red’s child.
Training is what volume 17 is going to focus on for the most part, with some comedy and battles thrown in.

Last edited by Tbolt; 2014-01-29 at 15:32.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 19:25   Link #1154
Gary29

Isn't Volume 17 going to be focused on Rossweisse / Sona's school / Qlippoth's next attack, with comedy mixed in? At least that's what the preview implies. Maybe it's been a few days / weeks since Volume 16 and they're already doing some training with Sun Wukong that'll be shown at the start of the volume, but I doubt it'll be a focus of it.

Edit: Why do you think Euclid needs Rossweisse to revive 666? It's probably more than just powerful magic, as there most likely others who are even better suited for that task.

FanFiction

Last edited by Gary29; 2014-01-30 at 08:18.
Old 2014-01-30, 08:30   Link #1155
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary29 View Post
Edit: Why do you think Euclid needs Rossweisse to revive 666? It's probably more than just powerful magic, as there most likely others who are even better suited for that task.
I think that the reason why she is targeted is related to her hidden ability ... but more importantly, I think it's for the purpose of having Rossweisse undergo some character development and flesh out her character a little more, by revealing more information about her background, personality ... etc.

Naturally, something like that could be done peacefully, but that would be a little ... boring, since seeing the characters undergo some development in a dangerous, stressful situation where the characters bonds and life are in danger, in my opinion, is a more interesting and satisfying experience, for the reader of this story.

On a slightly different topic, do you think that Cao Cao is going to make an appearance in the battle that is going to occur in volume 17 ?

After all, now that we know that he has returned from hell, I think that it would be interesting to see what kind of changes Cao Cao underwent during his stay in hell.

Last edited by Chris38; 2014-01-30 at 09:22.
Old 2014-01-30, 09:42   Link #1156
Sayaka Rei

Smile

Guys the new volume will be released February 20th !

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/lnovel/bk_...d=301307000049
Old 2014-01-30, 10:08   Link #1157
Trikr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmo View Post
Wait a minute, if Ise is actually a small True Dragon, and he could be considered the son of Great Red, does that mean he might have the potential to be as strong as Great Red without his Boosted Gear?
Well, doesn't the series title "Highschool DxD" say where Ise's development is going to ? I doubt it was about Great Red or Ophis to enter some highschool
Trikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 10:11   Link #1158
Gary29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris38 View Post
I think that the reason why she is targeted is related to her hidden ability ... but more importantly, I think it's for the purpose of having Rossweisse undergo some character development and flesh out her character a little more, by revealing more information about her background, personality ... etc.

Naturally, something like that could be done peacefully, but that would be a little ... boring, since seeing the characters undergo some development in a dangerous, stressful situation where the characters bonds and life are in danger, in my opinion, is a more interesting and satisfying experience, for the reader of this story.

On a slightly different topic, do you think that Cao Cao is going to make an appearance in the battle that is going to occur in volume 17 ?

After all, now that we know that he has returned from hell, I think that it would be interesting to see what kind of changes Cao Cao underwent during his stay in hell.
Yeah it's most likely due to her hidden ability, but the question is what that ability actually is. And I agree, excitement makes for a great story; plus they're at war, it's only logical that character development happens in a non-peaceful style.

The same can be said for all character development in DxD actually, as they've always been in opposition with someone (Fallen Angels, and later the Khaos Brigade's multiple factions)

About Cao Cao, he may make an appearance in the battle in volume 17, or he may only show up near the end of the volume to join forces with the ORC; personally, I think he's going to show up during the battle; knowing him, he wouldn't want to miss a battle like that. Maybe he'll be introduced in the beginning of the volume and participate in the battle alongside everyone else.

As for the changes he underwent during his stay in hell, I think he will have increased his strength since he had to fight his way out (assuming he had to fight), and his skill with technique is already perfect, but most of all he will revert back to his original ideal of being a "Hero." Maybe he'll look a little more rugged too? After all, he just got out of hell.

FanFiction

Old 2014-01-30, 10:37   Link #1159
jopjopjop

Quote:
Alright, the result of my test is good. With this I have come closer to my target. -Xenovia. / Her aim that she confessed is something that shocks the ORC members
Wants good grades... Active in the school events.... Third years are graduating... Student Council election coming up.... What if ..... What if......

Spoiler:
jopjopjop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 11:05   Link #1160
Chris38

@Gary

Unfortunately, I think Rossweisse's hidden ability is something that only Ishibumi and his illustrator / editor is aware of ... since, from what I remember there hasn't been any hints that could lead us to discover what her ability could be.

If I have to put my guesses, I would say that it's something related with the concept of rebirth / death ... which would fit with Ross origins as a Valkyrie - since Qlippoth wants to ... most likely, use Rossweisse's ability to somehow aid them in reviving 666, but the details of that ability, and it's usefulness in combat is something that I have no clue about.

Especially, if we consider that it needs to be something different, from the abilities that the other members of Rias peerage have got.

Tags
light novel, translation