AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-10-22, 17:39   Link #1
EscapeReality

Internet Persona vs. Real-life Persona

Sorry if a similar topic had already been made.
I feel like a distinctly different person on the internet than in real life.
On the internet, I feel there are less bounds on behavior. For example, I would be much more prone to make daring/controversial/bold statements than I would in reality. You might say that on the internet I would have less fear of a physical confrontation, but rarely is that a case (I go to a school where fighting is rare). You might also say that I wouldn't make provocative statements because I fear public humilation. I find that I am ridiculed much more on the internet, yet I don't feel very sensitive over it.
Also, I feel there are less limitations imposed by societal influences; e.g. at school I am always talked about as a quiet person, and due to some reason I unconsciously fulfill that prophecy.
Last point: people in real life are usually organized into talking groups together. When people talk about a topic that only they are intensely familiar about, I feel myself excluded. When I say something, it's always halfhearted and I would get discouraged if I'm ignored. It's a psychological barrier that's about as strong as a physical one. But on the internet, I would often unabashedly butt in and interject, sometimes regardless of what others think.
Due to these reasons, I find myself a much more authentic person on the web. I see this trend in some of my classmates as well.
Discuss?
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 19:37   Link #2
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

That is one important attribute of Internet: Everyone are Anoymous. They are there, but they are not there. It give people freedom with the price of easily hurting other and hurted themself. So remember to be extra careful when making a statement on the Internet!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 20:56   Link #3
willx
Nyaaan~~

When I was younger I was pretty much the same ..

As I've gotten older .. I'm pretty much exactly like how I am in real life as how I am on the internet..
Old 2013-10-22, 21:05   Link #4
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
I take great lengths to make myself anonymous on the internet. My real personality is...kinda similar but not very similar.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 01:11   Link #5
Knightrunner

The internet is a different form of expression that effects the soul. I treat this as a different form of communication, but I believe to be very in touch with my real self.
Old 2013-10-23, 15:38   Link #6
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Well, if people on the internet see me as a loud obnoxious headstrong bastard with an odd sense of humour and a sarcastic outlook on (everyday) life and the future

...Then there's not much difference between that and my real life persona

My real life PERSON otoh is much different
Old 2013-10-23, 17:23   Link #7
Byakou

There are so many things on internet that we don't have like body language and voice cues. I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone lose their shit because they can't detect sarcasm, irony, double entendre, joking intonation, in what someone says. Not just that, but a statement can sound completely different depending on your tone of voice. Internet communication is actually brutish compared to real communication, people take what you say at face value and there's no room for any kind of subtlety, but lots of room for misinterpretation. I think it would be interesting in the future if we had some sort of virtual reality system, so that you're anonymous but you can actually see/hear what people say. That will probably never happen though, as things are now I wouldn't be surprised if the human race drove itself to extinction before any kind of amazing tech level could be attained.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 01:43   Link #8
VooDooZulu
13th level Googlemancer

Send a message via Skype™ to VooDooZulu
Well i would like to point out something that PBS Idea channel brought up. Look up "Introvert fetish" (completely safe for work) on youtube. He brings up the idea that Introverts take online conversations as more 'real' than extroverts. Heres an example.

An introvert can hold a conversation with an extrovert online. The introvert will take the conversation as it is but the extrovert will hold it as "Less real" than the introvert. He may wish to go over points in real life that were already clear in the text. He may wish to call the introvert or meet him somewhere to make decisions on important decisions. I'm really not good at explaining this but i think i made myself clear?

I'm mostly an introvert in real life and noticed this myself. But on line i'm a bit more of an extrovert. maybe because i can think over what i type before it goes out there. Maybe because i don't have to worry about studying. Maybe because no one will remember me anyway.
VooDooZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 20:56   Link #9
EscapeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
There are so many things on internet that we don't have like body language and voice cues. I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone lose their shit because they can't detect sarcasm, irony, double entendre, joking intonation, in what someone says. Not just that, but a statement can sound completely different depending on your tone of voice. Internet communication is actually brutish compared to real communication, people take what you say at face value and there's no room for any kind of subtlety, but lots of room for misinterpretation. I think it would be interesting in the future if we had some sort of virtual reality system, so that you're anonymous but you can actually see/hear what people say. That will probably never happen though, as things are now I wouldn't be surprised if the human race drove itself to extinction before any kind of amazing tech level could be attained.
I think I just don't like to look at people/have them looking back when I talk to them - akin to stage fright, I suppose.
That technology is just an Oculus-rift like thing with a microphone that has your voice replaced with a synthesized one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooZulu View Post
Well i would like to point out something that PBS Idea channel brought up. Look up "Introvert fetish" (completely safe for work) on youtube. He brings up the idea that Introverts take online conversations as more 'real' than extroverts. Heres an example.

An introvert can hold a conversation with an extrovert online. The introvert will take the conversation as it is but the extrovert will hold it as "Less real" than the introvert. He may wish to go over points in real life that were already clear in the text. He may wish to call the introvert or meet him somewhere to make decisions on important decisions. I'm really not good at explaining this but i think i made myself clear?

I'm mostly an introvert in real life and noticed this myself. But on line i'm a bit more of an extrovert. maybe because i can think over what i type before it goes out there. Maybe because i don't have to worry about studying. Maybe because no one will remember me anyway.
Since I take online conversations more seriously, that seems like an interesting point. The guy in the video made a point that said that introverts look for deeper conversations than extroverts, in general. I personally cannot make deep conversation in person but online it's much easier. For my extroverted classmates, the opposite seems true - they'll talk about politics/theories/complicated stuff in school but online they seem to bring up lighter topics.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 20:24   Link #10
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

I'm more wordy and expository on the internet, since I generally have time to fix my sentences. In real life, this translates to slurred speech and sometimes stuttering as I spend time finding the right words and/or correcting myself. It sucks. Just this post has undergone a bunch of split-second changes that would be impractical IRL.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 13:03   Link #11
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I do not see the internet being the main factor.
I am almost the same person on the internet, as in real life, when it comes to interaction with other people.

But most communication on the net is done in written form. And here lies the major difference.
If you have time to write down your thoughts, escpecially in a non-real time environment, like a forum, it changes a lot.
I think this is more of a factor than anonymity, because I get the same feeling from writing emails. And those are often addressed at people I meet in real life on a regular basis.
The same thing would happen, if we just wrote paper letters to each other. It would create the same notion of formulating a thought and firing it off, without instant feedback.

For example, if I would tell you of this theory in real life, then maybe I could see you reacting in disagreement while I bring up a certain point.
I would then try to reenforce the point immedeately, to make it more clear/compelling.
On the other hand, I would have no ability to change the things I said, once they are out. Here I can go over the whole text before sending it and even edit it later on.

So I'd say it's more about written vs. spoken than real life vs. internet.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 18:10   Link #12
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I'm more wordy and expository on the internet, since I generally have time to fix my sentences. In real life, this translates to slurred speech and sometimes stuttering as I spend time finding the right words and/or correcting myself. It sucks. Just this post has undergone a bunch of split-second changes that would be impractical IRL.
This so much. Then when I get to a heated discussion over the net with an IRL friend, they tell me "come meet me and we'll settle this face to face and not behind things as unreal as the internet!"

It's annoying really. I can't explain myself as well as in the internet, while those guys are jack shit in explaining things over the net because they rely completely on tone and the such.
Old 2013-10-26, 18:18   Link #13
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
This so much. Then when I get to a heated discussion over the net with an IRL friend, they tell me "come meet me and we'll settle this face to face and not behind things as unreal as the internet!"

It's annoying really. I can't explain myself as well as in the internet, while those guys are jack shit in explaining things over the net because they rely completely on tone and the such.
I find it to be a double-edged sword. IRL, I can often rely on nonverbal methods to endear whoever it is I'm to my point of view, or at least reach an understanding, despite superficially not being able to explain myself as well. It doesn't really work that way on the internet, so unless I'm truly an expert on whatever subject I'm debating (almost never, lol), I always run out of steam.

But yeah, especially if you know the person IRL, being able to explain yourself in writing can be better. It's not "unreal", people used to write letters to each other all the time. It's best that you take a combined approach.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 20:00   Link #14
willx
Nyaaan~~

As I mentioned above, I'm a person that acts almost exactly the same IRL or on the web, heck, I even talk in a similar fashion as to how I write ..

That said, I also work with electronic communication and get ridiculous amounts of emails a day .. as a person that has to use constant and professional communication, I'm going to tell you guys -- nothing generally gets the job done as quick as an in-person chat or phone call..
Old 2013-10-27, 03:10   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
I'm not myself when in front of the computer. I can be far from what I am IRL or opposite of what I am IRL.... I like to pretend who I am IRL... As if anyone cares about the "IRL me".
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:32   Link #16
sparkles

I'm an entirely different person online and in real life. I think it's because I'm kind of a loner and most people talk about things that I can't relate to. Unlike in the internet where I can say whatever I want to say and talk to people with the same likes :|
sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:50   Link #17
Masuzu
« ヒーロー »
*Author

The ammount that my internet self parallels my offline self depends on where I am in the internet.

I noticed, though, that regardless of where it is on the internet, using my native language will almost totally bring me parallel with my offline self.
Old 2013-10-27, 11:18   Link #18
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

My sarcastic side and honest side show in different amounts depending on where I am on the Internet while I'm usually snarky with familiar company IRL. I prefer to think before honestly stepping in regardless of being online or IRL though.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 16:25   Link #19
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm almost the same. The only difference is that online I don't waste any time on small talk (something I always hate in real life). I suppose my online self is a version of me that is not "moderated" to conform to people's sensitivities (though I do try to be polite).
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 18:45   Link #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
Due to these reasons, I find myself a much more authentic person on the web. I see this trend in some of my classmates as well.
Discuss?
I think authenticity is an excellent topic for discussion. I'm going to draw an analogy from your case if you don't mind (I normally wouldn't, but you seem quite open about it, and it also applies to me). With shyness being a truly authentic quality in your character, by removing those barriers (i.e. by going on the internet) you tend to express yourself better. But it cannot be the truly authentic you because the true you is shy (and you're not shy on the internet). And it is only relevant in light of the fact that the real-world social you is actually a superficial version of you. So you are only more authentic on the web because you're less authentic in real world interactions. This is the only reason why you can be more authentic on the web than in real life. I think this is a very important point, because people can easily confuse the "RL you" and associate it with the authentic you.

Most of the talk going on here, when regarding how different you are based on where you are on the internet or what your purpose is, are comparing that specific personality they portray on the web to the real world version of them, or at least the stable version of them . I think that this comparison is wrong, because the real life you is almost always not the authentic you, and thus the degree of accuracy is wrong. I only point this out because when people say "I'm not myself", you're certainly not a different person. At most you are a more (or less) authentic version of you. For an extreme example, there are a lot of areas where people verbally attack each other (in games, comment sections susceptible to troll etc.). In these areas, racism, discrimination and sexism are rampant. And while this may only happen because of anonymity and lack of consequences, I think this is far better representation of true nature because it strips away all limitations and barriers, and while it's usually taken to the extreme by how easy it is to get away with, it does, in some way or another, reflect true intent. In the same way that true nature reveals itself when times are tough (social perception becomes drastically less relevant), more so than when times are easy (shields are up).

TL;DR: When you're "not yourself", you probably are.

Last edited by 340.29; 2013-10-28 at 20:11.
340.29 is offline   Reply With Quote