AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-11-06, 06:46   Link #21
Veviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
The other thing is the colliseum: From what we know, the tradition of the Gladiators seems to be older than Doflamingo's reign (Kyros is supposed to have resigned 20 years ago). But the speech of the king in this chapter ("humans shouldn't kill each other") doesn't sound like he would permit a barbarian thing like the colliseum in his kingdom.
At the end of chapter 720, they said up until 10 years ago, the gladiator fights were not about killing each other. It was probably for testing your strength. Doflamingo changed all that.
Old 2013-11-06, 06:59   Link #22
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I think Doflamingo is by far the cruelest villain in One Piece....
I hate him....

destroying a country like that...
very horrible
but what's the connection with Monet? why she is mentioned while she didn't took part in the past?

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 08:59   Link #23
Dark_Ritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
I think Doflamingo is by far the cruelest villain in One Piece....
I hate him....

destroying a country like that...
very horrible
but what's the connection with Monet? why she is mentioned while she didn't took part in the past?
I will disagree.... To me Crocodile is, followed by CC.. Unlike Dofla Crocodile doesn't care about his crewmates, he would've massacred over 1 million people in alabasta but the Strawhat stopped his plan....

Doflamingo is just lucky he didn't meet the Strawhat pirates 10years ago or else his plans would've been another failure like Crocodiles...

Quote:
It wasn't explicitly stated, that the technology didn't exist, but it wasn't stated that it exists either.
Fact is we (the readers and with them the main characters) never encountered this specific technology, even in situations where it could have been of use.

For example after the Alabasta-Arc: Why did the royal family (Vivi and her father) address their people with an audio-transmission only?
If a poor kingdom had video transmission 10 years ago, then a rich kingdom like Alabasta should have it in the present as well.
The Strawhat never had any den den mushi when they sailed on "Mary go" but after thousand Sunny they suddenly have it, so what's your point?

Dressrosa is a kingdom in New world, before the Riku family the Donquixote family was the rulers, the same family who enslaved the Dwarfs and made fortunes out of them, see what I'm saying is Donquixote family built Dressrosa to what it is but the Riku family just took over and everything went to shit(the country became poor)...

So the video den den mushi must've been put there by the Donquixote family and not the Riku family...

Last edited by james0246; 2013-11-06 at 10:16.
Dark_Ritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 09:40   Link #24
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Dofla wasn't just controlling the king, but his ENTIRE FREAKING ARMY with his strings! Dude's power is really no joke.....
Indeed. It's been confirmed he can control more than one person at a time. And he can do so from far distances as well.
Old 2013-11-06, 10:20   Link #25
james0246

So, that happened.

Decent chapter. Throwing aside the ill pacing of many recent chapters, this flashback gets right to the point and damn is it dark. Can't help but love a villain like Doflamingo. His motivations are still unclear, but his actions are quite wonderfully dark and grim. Can't wait to see his casual take-over of the country.

Hopefully, this will be the last flashback (the take over of the country) for quite some time, though. Beyond Law and Doflamingo's own words, we really don't need any more clarification via flashbacks, and this goes for all the annoying mini-flashbacks scattered throughout the last 30 chapters. It's time to keep the present story moving forward.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 11:00   Link #26
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

THAT SON OF A BITCH DOFLAMINGO MUST DIE!!!!!
Old 2013-11-06, 11:54   Link #27
Kafriel
Senior Guest

That was one mother of a sad chapter...and now, Doflamingo is evil enough to want him dead. Still interested in his past (how he got his df) and his actual goals.
Quote:
She could be the spy that supplied enough information so that Doflamingo could just come up the king's window without bumping into anyone...but yeah, nothing was actually explained about it.
Old 2013-11-06, 14:06   Link #28
shalala

Dofla is quite a smarty pants. The people in the colesseum tend to change their view on Rebecca quite a bit. From hating her to liking her to then hating her because she didn't kill anyone.
shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 14:17   Link #29
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Indeed. It's been confirmed he can control more than one person at a time. And he can do so from far distances as well.
This would have to label him as a complete monster.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 15:34   Link #30
Dany Rangel

Quote:
How comes, the king could address his people with a video transmission? Isn't this a retcon?
But suddenly we are told, that the technology was already available ten years ago, in a relatively poor kingdom?
The king had a Visual Den Den Mushi. It is not a retcon. It was never an established fact that their were no Visual Den Den Mushi(s) ten years ago.

The kingdom was not rich but they weren't in misery. Some people could probably afford them. If indeed they are bought.

Last edited by Dany Rangel; 2013-11-06 at 16:22.
Dany Rangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 15:42   Link #31
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Doflamingo is a real bastard...so the three that were with him that night were, Trebol (club-themed staff), Pica (pointed pauldrons) and Law (tall guy)?
But can you take me home?
Sakuranbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 15:43   Link #32
marvelB

Quote:
I'm a bit confused about the recent chapter.
How comes, the king could address his people with a video transmission? Isn't this a retcon?
IIRC the OP world didn't know the video technology until we came to Impel Down. It makes sense for this prison to be the first to get this important tech and the next appearance of the video snails was the Marineford war/Ace's execution, which also makes sense since it's an event of global scale.
But suddenly we are told, that the technology was already available ten years ago, in a relatively poor kingdom? IMHO this doesn't add up.

There is no contradiction here. It's just that the technology probably wasn't as widespread a decade or so ago as it is in the current time. Plus, there was probably all kinda of other factors to consider (remember, a bunch of islands in the Grand Line have wildly different climates, so maybe the video's reception wouldn't have been any good without specific modifications, etc.). I mean, it's not exactly like technology exists in a vacuum, y'know.

Quote:
Then there is another thing which worries me: This chapter said, that the country was without wars for 800 years. So why did the soldiers even have weapons?
The other thing is the colliseum: From what we know, the tradition of the Gladiators seems to be older than Doflamingo's reign (Kyros is supposed to have resigned 20 years ago). But the speech of the king in this chapter ("humans shouldn't kill each other") doesn't sound like he would permit a barbarian thing like the colliseum in his kingdom.

Somebody else already answered this, but I wanna address this, too: The prisoner gladiators already told Luffy that although the arena existed before Dofla's reign, the gladiators weren't forced to kill each other under the Riku dynasty's rule. Chances are, its original purpose was for training/friendly competition before Dofla turned it into a blood sport (after all, even if Dressrosa never went to war during Riku's reign, they still had to prepare for pirate attacks, as was proven this very chapter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Hopefully, this will be the last flashback (the take over of the country) for quite some time, though. Beyond Law and Doflamingo's own words, we really don't need any more clarification via flashbacks, and this goes for all the annoying mini-flashbacks scattered throughout the last 30 chapters. It's time to keep the present story moving forward.

Speaking of Law and Dofla, don't we need to learn the history between THOSE two? I highly doubt that a few paragraphs of speech bubbles alone will adequately explain the reasons for Law's bad blood towards the guy. So I can't help but feel that, much to your chagrin as it may be, we'll be getting a few more flashbacks to help clarify certain plot points.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 15:56   Link #33
Dany Rangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
There were no decent arguments.
It was implied that Drake attacked Scotch. I would be reasonable to believe that Drake did not want to join Kaido.

As for the Dinosaur... I was under the impression that perhaps when in full-beast form, Zoans did not keep their hair.

As for Kaido's forces...He has an army of Artificial Zoans. That should speak for itself.

I really don't see how you could say these are not decent arguments. If you do...fine.
No biggie. What does it matter now? It was Drake.
Old 2013-11-06, 16:13   Link #34
Dany Rangel

Quote:
For example after the Alabasta-Arc: Why did the royal family (Vivi and her father) address their people with an audio-transmission only?
If a poor kingdom had video transmission 10 years ago, then a rich kingdom like Alabasta should have it in the present as well.
They probably did not have one or they did not want to use it.

I'm not sure if Alabasta is Rich. They just recovered from a civil-war remember?

Once again...I wouldn't call Dressrosa ten tears ago,poor...just not rich.
Old 2013-11-06, 16:15   Link #35
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Speaking of Law and Dofla, don't we need to learn the history between THOSE two? I highly doubt that a few paragraphs of speech bubbles alone will adequately explain the reasons for Law's bad blood towards the guy. So I can't help but feel that, much to your chagrin as it may be, we'll be getting a few more flashbacks to help clarify certain plot points.
I have no problem with flashbacks as a narrative device. In fact, Oda created one of the better flashback storylines in recent memory with the brief Norland story. Rather, I dislike meandering flashbacks that repeat their core themes or are too long. Boa Hancock's or Ace and his mother's flashback were good, mostly because there were a few strong images expressed by another character (which is ultimately what most of these flashbacks from recent chapters are seeking to accomplish). I even like the basic approach Oda is taking into expanding the history of the kingdom by delving further into the (recent) past with each subsequent flashback. It is the pacing of the flashback and their placement within the individual chapters that I dislike, finding them either too long, too abrupt, or too plodding. The flashback in this chapter was decent, mostly because it was a simple story that took up the entire chapter with a nice cliffhanger.

As an aside, this does not include the extraneous flashbacks that occur when Oda cuts to another character who is actively doing something and then has them flashback to explain what they are doing. I hate those type of flashbacks with a deep dark passion.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 17:42   Link #36
JonSnow

I got a feeling that this arc is going to be longer than SKypia, that's why I'm expecting at least 3 more chapters of flashbacks. Hopefully the D block tournament ends next chapter.

Now that XDrake has Caribou, the clash between Kaido and the SH alliance might happen sooner that expected.
Old 2013-11-06, 17:44   Link #37
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Rangel View Post
It was implied that Drake attacked Scotch. I would be reasonable to believe that Drake did not want to join Kaido.

As for the Dinosaur... I was under the impression that perhaps when in full-beast form, Zoans did not keep their hair.

As for Kaido's forces...He has an army of Artificial Zoans. That should speak for itself.

I really don't see how you could say these are not decent arguments. If you do...fine.
No biggie. What does it matter now? It was Drake.
Just the fact that it was a dinosaur Zoan, with Drake being a dinosaur Zoan, with Scotch on the island, with Drake seen last confronting Scotch that seemed to point heavily in that direction. It was the obvious choice, and by a country mile imo

I really wanna see the extent of Dolflamingo's power. Strings doesn't come off to me as the 'most OP' devil fruit power one could have but he has certainly squeezed damn near every possible power he could out of it
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 17:56   Link #38
JonSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Just the fact that it was a dinosaur Zoan, with Drake being a dinosaur Zoan, with Scotch on the island, with Drake seen last confronting Scotch that seemed to point heavily in that direction. It was the obvious choice, and by a country mile imo

I really wanna see the extent of Dolflamingo's power. Strings doesn't come off to me as the 'most OP' devil fruit power one could have but he has certainly squeezed damn near every possible power he could out of it
I'm more interested on the strings limit, If someone's capable of breaking free once caught.
Old 2013-11-06, 18:16   Link #39
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
I'm more interested on the strings limit, If someone's capable of breaking free once caught.
That's probably where haki comes into play, those with no or inferior haki will be at his mercy whereas pirates with superior haki like Rayleigh and Kizaru would be able to break free or avoid it.
But can you take me home?
Sakuranbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 20:25   Link #40
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Doflamingo didn't dare fight Aokiji . I am not saying who is stronger than who ( could be either) but rather i bet Doflamingo wasn't so sure that he can actually control or do much to Aokiji.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote