AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 21:53   Link #41

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma Send a message via Skype™ to Karma
MASTAH SLADE I JUST GOT THE SECOND VOLUME!! (the first was out of stock)
Anyways, I got the second volume 'cuz the first was out of stock, and I didn't have enough money to get the third also. But I had to order the first 'cuz there wasn't an order placed on it. I haven't finished it yet, but it's looking awesome. So that's it for now.
Old 2004-05-03, 22:16   Link #42
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karala
For anyone that has read the original comic and the comicsone version, how faithful is translation into English?
It does a decent job, not the best but it's Accurate with the names as they will seem awkward to non-asian readers. The content is done well, but there are a few mistranslations here and there that I've pointed out in the past. It's highly readable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
MASTAH SLADE I JUST GOT THE SECOND VOLUME!! (the first was out of stock)
Anyways, I got the second volume 'cuz the first was out of stock, and I didn't have enough money to get the third also. But I had to order the first 'cuz there wasn't an order placed on it. I haven't finished it yet, but it's looking awesome. So that's it for now.
Excellent... Now you must get volume 3 and 1 and read them as quickly as you can... then you should post your thoughts here =D. Now go young grasshoppa!
Old 2004-05-04, 02:18   Link #43
acidblue
IchizokuKage

Send a message via MSN to acidblue
Talking

It means now, it is not in english(or korean or japanese) .

You get a cookie if you can guess what it is writen in!

Thanks Slade,since reading your recomendation(sic) I've already got two friends intrested in a Manga(mwaha?) that I had never even heard of till you informed me!
Old 2004-05-04, 22:55   Link #44
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidblue
It means now, it is not in english(or korean or japanese) .

You get a cookie if you can guess what it is writen in!

Thanks Slade,since reading your recomendation(sic) I've already got two friends intrested in a Manga(mwaha?) that I had never even heard of till you informed me!
I'm glad you and your friends like it ^__^;;

Here's a wallpaper I cooked up. Use it if you like it

Last edited by Slade; 2004-05-05 at 00:28.
Old 2004-05-05, 02:09   Link #45
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
Cool wallpaper!! Being me, at first I thought it said Goo of Death. I was like "wha?"
lol I'm sorry Slade didn't mean to ruin it like that!

Bi-Ryu looks so scary there. o_o God of Death!

Hot!

Liked yours too acidblue. I love Rin she's so neat! ^_^
More wallpapers please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)ark-I)eath
lol.. i read vol 2...a part where i laughed the most:

Spoiler:
LOL That part I loved! The way he's so casual about it.

OT: Also read some of "Zero" too...interesting stuff having to do with ESP.
Anyone else should check it out, it's a good manhwa.
Old 2004-05-05, 03:35   Link #46
MikoKikyo

mind if I do some more (healthy) discussing?

I like to call it "free-thinking". (brainstorming for no particular reason except the fun of it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Spoiler:

wheww... that was a big rant about Yu Se.
Whats this?? Am I seeing some interesting questions of ethics and morality here? hey hey let's talk about this. I still have my hopes for intellectualism in NOW
See why we tend to like Yu-Se more than Bi-Ryu? As you explained above, there's an alluring insight surrounding his personality and his motivations.
You said that:
Quote:
Spoiler:
His character exploits morality and the vulnerabilities of human nature, as well as the complexity of human nature (I hate to use the word *human*...think human in a spiritual sense, deeper than physical abilities pls) . The audience watches in perplexion as he fluctuates between *good* and *evil*, with mentalities so contrasting that it's almost paradoxical. I haven't seen much of his "other" side, but his good side alone was enough to impress me. He had some sudden comical notions that made him orginial, like you said, and pleasurably unpredictable. I'm too lazy to go look for examples, but I could see random personality traits in him ... How can I explain it? It was great to watch him. I guess the reason I don't like Rin so much is that she's quite the opposite: she's supposed to be the cute, funny and goofy girl and she fulfills that role precisely. See how because of that she's not unpredictable, intriguing or complex? Because of Yu-Se's ambiguous ethics, his character is thought-provoking and because of his inconsistent nature, he's charismatic. THe most exciting parts IMO were parts he was in.

I better stop here otherwise this post's gonna become one of those that people skip over for being too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru
Cool wallpaper!! Being me, at first I thought it said Goo of Death. I was like "wha?"
LOL! you totally ruined it
Old 2004-05-05, 14:53   Link #47
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Now I will never make another desktop picture again ;__;

and what was PriestessKikyo saying? It was so long I didn't bother to read it...

Just Kidding.

don't hurt me >_<;;

Yea, I totally agree that Yu Se is a character based on human nature. I like the way he's all serious at one point and turns all chi-bi and goes AYEEE-YE!!! Like a child(like the time he first finds Ran).

Bi Ryu though is hands down one of the coolest characters I've seen though. He has the mentality of a little child, as innocent and as cruel and unforgiving as well. When volume 4 comes in you'll get to see the stars of the prequel of "NOW" in action .
Old 2004-05-05, 15:21   Link #48
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Quote:
Now I will never make another desktop picture again ;__;

Gomeeeen! >_<

But it was kinda funny.

Quote:
Yea, I totally agree that Yu Se is a character based on human nature. I like the way he's all serious at one point and turns all chi-bi and goes AYEEE-YE!!! Like a child(like the time he first finds Ran).

Bi Ryu though is hands down one of the coolest characters I've seen though. He has the mentality of a little child, as innocent and as cruel and unforgiving as well. When volume 4 comes in you'll get to see the stars of the prequel of "NOW" in action .
Indeed Bi-Ryu is cool because of his nature--so cold, and yet so innocent. Makes for a perfect "God of Death." But I have to say that Yu-Se is a character I like the most because he's, as stated before, more realistic. Someone who struggles with internal conficts, and yet can still be comical.
Look forward to the "new" characters.
Old 2004-05-05, 16:52   Link #49
I)ark-I)eath
EnI)eR I)ark I)eath

a wall paper i made....i started from scratch(made the backround and the "now" and the lettering on the characters and yeah). dont throw rocks at me cause it sucks!

Old 2004-05-05, 17:18   Link #50
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Waai!! They're all chibis!!

And don't worry I play catch with huge rocks, not throw them. Rin! ^_^

That's pretty good if you made that from scratch.
*Kaoru doesn't possess such godly skills*
Old 2004-05-05, 18:17   Link #51
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

I like your wallpaper Dark Death . Chibi-Powah!

Good news! I've found a stash of wallpapers! Apparently there's a game based on the prequel of "NOW" so here's a few good desktop pictures staring the characters from the Prequel of "NOW"!

Couple

Kinda looks like Yu Se doesn't he?

Lunar Ice Recognize the Sword? o_O

O'Rang Yhun

Excuse the rather large pictures.
Old 2004-05-06, 01:22   Link #52
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Those are awesome! Thanks!
I like how the first one looks the most, second one is hawt...
But if only the last two didn't have that calendar.
Nice nonetheless.

Nyo? There's a game?!
edit: (seems there is and looks kinda neat...is it called Seal or something? *is probably way off*)

OT: 'Precciate the help with the sig Slade-san! ^_^

*edit*

Found a few pics that haven't been posted yet. It's not much.
Damn, it's really difficult finding NOW art. Especially when one doesn't know Korean.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kaoru; 2004-05-06 at 03:02. Reason: Added pics and answered part of my own question. Freakin edits!
Old 2004-05-06, 16:00   Link #53
Sakuba
Student of the Fung Huo

the anime 'slade' looks really good, but unfortuanely, i'm a kid with no credit card, and the manga isn't for sale in england for another 2 years, as the uk is slow on catching onto the anime market.

i would like to ask, which country this anime is based in?
i have made 2 guesses

China or Korea, because of the sword designs that Rin wields, and the name sashinmu, which sounds exactly like the pronuciation for the words death, god and dance, in chinese mhich means death god arts.
Old 2004-05-06, 18:05   Link #54
I)ark-I)eath
EnI)eR I)ark I)eath

nice pics kaoru..im plannin to use some

made a fast wallpaper...its pretty crappy...
Old 2004-05-07, 17:27   Link #55
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Nice wallpaper Dark Death! And your sig is so cute!

Speaking of cute, I found me some more pics! For anyone who's interested.
*Like omg does Kaoru have anything better to do!?*

Well, I'm through with school...so not for the time being.

Hope you like!
Spoiler:

I have a few more, but that's all I'll put for now.^^

Last edited by Kaoru; 2004-05-07 at 18:34.
Old 2004-05-07, 17:42   Link #56
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Great pictures Kaoru-Chan Although to make a bit of correction, there's no picture of Ran in there, those are all of Lunar Ice when she was young. Ran looks very much like cold/pissed off Lunar Ice though.

Here's some information on the background of "NOW" that you should know from the prequel.

A good thing to note is that the Heaven Moutain Sword stance was created by a master swordswoman that was in love with North Star. Her feelings for him were never returned and devoid of love and emotions, she was able to create the "Heart-Less Stance" which is the stance Ran is most familiar with.

Lunar Ice, the student of the swordswoman that created the Heart-Less Stance also learned that which she could use by devoiding herself of any emotions so she could channel her inner energy into an absolute zero sword stance that can cut anything.

When she meets O'Rang Yhun she started to feel differently even when she does not want to and she was able to create a stance on her own that was stronger of the 2 stances of the Heaven Moutain Skills based on a specific emotion rather a lack of.

Also another background information is Bi-Ryu and O'Rang Yhun's Silver hair. Both of their hair were black until they got to a certain point in their mastery of Sa-Shin-Mu and their inner life force changed to survive the extreme physical strain of using the Sa-Shin-Mu puts on the body.
Old 2004-05-07, 18:33   Link #57
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

I wasn't too sure whether it was Lunar Ice or Ran (they look similiar). Thanks for claryifing that.

Interesting tidbit on the origin of the stances.

Just out of curiousity, what is the name of the prequel?
I realize it's the backdrop to the NOW storyline, but is it important that I should read it?
Or does NOW refer back to the prequel?
Did I ask that right?

I just wanted a bit more info on that.
Old 2004-05-07, 19:01   Link #58
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
I wasn't too sure whether it was Lunar Ice or Ran (they look similiar). Thanks for claryifing that.

Interesting tidbit on the origin of the stances.

Just out of curiousity, what is the name of the prequel?
I realize it's the backdrop to the NOW storyline, but is it important that I should read it?
Or does NOW refer back to the prequel?
Did I ask that right?

I just wanted a bit more info on that.
It's called "Chun Rang Yer Jehn"

O'Rang Yhun before He masters Sa-Shin-Mu(no silver hair)

The red writing says that in Korean.

Well, I'd say you'd enjoy "NOW" even more if you have read the prequel because you would be more involved with it's world and the characters in it. It's safe to that many of the characters from the prequel make dynamic entries into "NOW" and it's just awesome to see how they've grown older.

When volume 4 comes out and you see the two main characters from the prequel in action with their immense strength, you'd say "awww shit" because you know how they were from the very beginning(O'Rang makes Bi-Ryu's Sa Shin Mu look like Tae Bo while Lunar Ice makes Ran's sharp swordswomanship look like plastic butter knife trying to cut a rock ).

There are a few important figures you haven't seen yet that was a main factor in the prequel like O'Rang's brother who is known as the greatest swordsman in the world.

Not to mention all of Chun Rang Yer Jehn is finished so you can read it all if you can find it translated somewhere(if you do, let us know).

NOW refers back to the past here and there but it almost assumes that you've read the the prequel... Park Sung Woo likes to drive the plot without stopping at all as you might've seen so far.

You can read "NOW" without having read the prequel and still enjoy it greatly but it's even more entertaining to read having read the prequel.

Last edited by Slade; 2004-05-07 at 19:19.
Old 2004-05-08, 03:09   Link #59
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Quote:
O'Rang Yhun before He masters Sa-Shin-Mu(no silver hair)

The red writing says that in Korean.
I was wondering who this guy was when I was looking for pics. I had noticed the scar on his left jaw, but I thought different when I saw his hair. (now it makes sense since he decided to go for a makeover ) Oh! hope to see Bi-Ryu before he changed too, although he looks so much cooler now.
Quote:
When volume 4 comes out and you see the two main characters from the prequel in action with their immense strength, you'd say "awww shit" because you know how they were from the very beginning(O'Rang makes Bi-Ryu's Sa Shin Mu look like Tae Bo while Lunar Ice makes Ran's sharp swordswomanship look like plastic butter knife trying to cut a rock ).
Bi-Ryu doing Tae Bo?!

From your analogy they sound very much to be feared with that kind of power!
Quote:
You can read "NOW" without having read the prequel and still enjoy it greatly but it's even more entertaining to read having read the prequel.
I see. I'd like to get ahold of the prequel and read it! Too bad there aren't any translated scans out there (I looked). Maybe the same people who scanned Zero will think of picking it up. Maybe. If not to read it and familiarize myself with the awesome characters, but for more of Park Sung Woo's lovely art!

I enjoy NOW already as it is, I just wanted to know if it could stand alone without having missed out on much of the story from the prequel. ^_^

Thanks for the info sempai!

Last edited by Kaoru; 2004-05-08 at 03:19.
Old 2004-05-08, 19:50   Link #60
ubb

What's the title of the prequel?
Closed Thread