AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-24, 02:34   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

The Naruto vs One Piece vs Hunter x Hunter Thread

Yes, that is the topic of this thread; which one out of the 3 most famous shonen animes of Animesuki do you like the most?

Note: There is already a Naruto vs One Piece thread Here, but I consider that it is a good idea to add Hunter x Hunter to the list due to the fact that this is another popular shonen anime.

On one side we have the well-known Naruto series. This anime has excellent fighting scenes, many cool characters, and lost of humor.

On the other side there is One Piece. This anime has a very good storyline, it has a lot of emotional situations, and it is really hilarious.

And last but not least we have Hunter X Hunter. This is an anime that has a very well developed storyline, many complex characters, and a lot of attention to detail.

As for me, I consider that this a very difficult question to answer because all of then have their strong and weak points. For example:

I consider that the strongest point in Naruto is the action; I think that it has the best fighting scenes out the 3 animes. However its storyline is not clear to me, and at times it seems to drag on and on things that aren't really interesting (Ex: from ep: 52 to 65)

I haven't watched completely one piece, but as far as I can tell this anime is just really funny; I laugh a lot when I watch it. It reminds me somehow of Dragon Ball. Unfortunately, the fighting scenes aren't that good and its graphics don't help much either.

Hunter x Hunter is an anime that offers a really interesting storyline; it always keep you in suspense to know how things are going to turn up later. And the characters are really interesting and complex. The bad part about this series is that it doesn't have enough comic relief, therefore I consider HxH a rather serious anime.

Anyhow, I think that I prefer Hunter x Hunter but by just a slight margin to Naruto, because seriousness is not a big deal for me. As for One piece, I have to say that this anime really entertains me and it makes me laugh, but I want to see better fighting scenes.

What about you guys? Which one out the 3 do you prefer to watch?
Old 2004-04-24, 03:01   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

If you are considering replying to this thread, then please make sure you give a reason for your answer.

Please do not just give a one word or short one line reply. If this happens then chances are your reply will be deleted.

Remember (from the forum rules)
All threads must serve a purpose and
No trivial polls allowed

So please discuss the topic and try to give reasons for your selection of which of these three series you prefer.
Old 2004-04-24, 03:58   Link #3
a_nevels666

I enjoy Hunter x Hunter and Naruto about equally and One Piece the least. (of these three)

One Piece is just a little too zany for me. Naruto is good, but has annoying filler sometimes and is a little predictable...Hunter x Hunter is very unpredictable and the fights in it are more based on strategy and intelligence. Too bad the manga for HxH is kind of slow.
Old 2004-04-25, 10:34   Link #4
Joshua
2 much 2 watch

Of these three animes, this will be my ranking
1. One Piece (watched till ep 92)
2. Hunter x Hunter (watched till ep 62, OVA 1+2, OVA 3 till ep 6)
3. Naruto (watched till ep 80)

The reason why One Piece is the better one of these three is is the perfect mix of humor, action and drama, at least for me.

Naruto was my former number one, but because of the fight between Oro en the hokage, and the chase of Sasuke after Gaara, it has lost my interest a lot. I'm glad that this story has ended, 'cause it was too horrible to watch, for me then. The story progressed so slow, and it reminded me of DBZ, an anime which also was fun in the beginning, but the fight with Freeza took forever. This was almost the same, and thus it lost my interest.

Hunter x Hunter is also a great anime, but since the Greed Island OVA (OVA 2) the animations has gotten worse imo. The story is predictable (even for me, who hasn't read the manga) but still it's better than Naruto.
Old 2004-04-25, 10:44   Link #5
Joe Dalton

Hunter x hunter and one piece is tough 2 decide... I think once piece because I like humoristic shows.
so I guess for me its
Op
HxH
naruto

as for reasons.
Id say that yeah... Naruto is always predictable in how the story will progress.
And it never seems 2 manipulate emotions... also the animation sometimes reaches such low levels that its verry anoying where the others 2 always maintain the same level of animation.

Op has a great sense of humor... AAAH its cold!!!! lol.. Also I like the characters allot.. for instance when that doc died in the snow country it was verry touching how much he cared for his country.
And I like the animation... its verry diferent from others yet seems 2 fit verry well.

Hunter X hunter I like allot because of the amount of characters they develop perfectly... where naruto usualy leave something 2 be desired in personalities this show seems 2 do that verry well with the same amount of people if nto mroe.
Old 2004-04-25, 11:11   Link #6
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i prefer Naruto over the other three
maybe it'd help if i had SEEN HxH, but it just never grabbed me
Naruto may seem a bit confusing, but after seeing 80 episodes and readin 212 manga chapters, explaining how each and every character has something special about them (ok except sakura...she sucks) is really difficult
plus, the fight scenes are REALLY good. I like fights where characters are actually moving around...you know...FIGHTING! none of this "here's MY super move, let's compare it to YOUR super move!" the characters of naruto actually have to think before they act (naruto himself doesn't do this at first, though )
because the characters are actually thinking a LOT, there's a lot of "breaks" in the battles to show a flashback or an introspective moment (Sakura vs. Ino REALLY overdid this part...) or sometimes to show one character thinking about an attack/defense
also, there are very few truly "bad" guys in naruto. Just because they fight doesn't mean they're enemies (though there is almost always animosity between the two parties...i hate using sakura/ino as an example but bleh)
Also, what makes this series a good one over all: when characters die, they stay dead, and people die a LOT (i think there's about 100 deaths show by ep. 80...and a few hundred implied)
Old 2004-04-25, 11:29   Link #7
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i prefer Naruto over the other three
maybe it'd help if i had SEEN HxH, but it just never grabbed me
Naruto may seem a bit confusing, but after seeing 80 episodes and readin 212 manga chapters, explaining how each and every character has something special about them (ok except sakura...she sucks) is really difficult
plus, the fight scenes are REALLY good. I like fights where characters are actually moving around...you know...FIGHTING! none of this "here's MY super move, let's compare it to YOUR super move!" the characters of naruto actually have to think before they act (naruto himself doesn't do this at first, though )
because the characters are actually thinking a LOT, there's a lot of "breaks" in the battles to show a flashback or an introspective moment (Sakura vs. Ino REALLY overdid this part...) or sometimes to show one character thinking about an attack/defense
also, there are very few truly "bad" guys in naruto. Just because they fight doesn't mean they're enemies (though there is almost always animosity between the two parties...i hate using sakura/ino as an example but bleh)
Also, what makes this series a good one over all: when characters die, they stay dead, and people die a LOT (i think there's about 100 deaths show by ep. 80...and a few hundred implied)
Those points (intelligent combat, 'gray' bad guys, lots of deaths etc...) are also true for HxH...even more so IMO.

With HxH you just need to get through the first story arc or so. The beginning of the series is more toned down compared to the manga, and also has the most filler. I can't imagine anyone who likes Naruto and One Piece not liking HxH. At least not until if they watch it until the part where they're on the island and they have to get each other's tags, which in my opinion is where the show really became good...
Old 2004-04-25, 12:19   Link #8
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
So please discuss the topic and try to give reasons for your selection of which of these three series you prefer.
Ah, damn. And I wanted to flame.

Anyway, I didn't get far watching any of those three series. They are all victims of their own success and the money they generate. This is most visible in the case of Naruto. The first takubon and the first episode are both quite good. The story has some traits that lift it off other shounen stories. Though, when you would count how many pages a fight takes you'd propably notice a considerable increase. While the story was progessing quite comfortably, it's starting to stall - suppressed by all the fighting.
I don't have anything against long series but I haven't found any that was able to achieve such a length without bloating the story with boring filling. This is what kills those long shounen-series for me.
(An exception might be the Berserk manga. Kentaro Miura was able to build up a story arc filled up with tesion and story over many takubons. In the recent volumes, the manga starts to get lost, though. I hope it will get back on track.)
Old 2004-04-25, 13:11   Link #9
Mulle
Norwegian Member

Send a message via MSN to Mulle
First off is naruto ;
Positive:
Good Story, nice drawing, very good figthing and cool characters.

Negative:
Some fights and scenes are too long, makes them a bit boring after the 5th episode.

OP:
Haven`t seen it

Hunter X Hunter ;
Positive:
Good story, OK drawing, Very good fighting and the best characters ever made in anime.(except Leroio, weak shit)

Negaitive: producer is short on cash. and very slow

Score :
HXH : 10
Naruto: 9

:fingers:
Old 2004-04-25, 17:43   Link #10
wnkryo
HainShodan

One Piece > Hunter x Hunter > Naruto.
Old 2004-04-25, 22:45   Link #11
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
wow! that was deep!
Old 2004-04-26, 01:43   Link #12
Draikan7

mmm, if you are gonna vote and give a reason for which series is best, you should watch all 3 of the series before you make a judgement.
Old 2004-04-26, 14:07   Link #13
Rewer
-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rewer Send a message via AIM to Rewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
My thoughts exactly. (in fact that was exaxtly what I was going to post)

In short, I found One Piece a great mix of comdey/action, not to mention a very interesting storyline/plot with some very interesting characters. Hunter X Hunter probably has the best storyline out of these three series, and becomes even more deeper later in the series, i.e. Greed Island. Naruto has a good action/comedy mix as well, but the constant flashbacks, and fillers tend to drag the story a bit, overall I am losing interest in this anime.
Old 2004-04-26, 14:36   Link #14
yume.toki

Cool

I love all three of these anime/manga!!

They are all quite unique...I wouldn't say I like one better than the other... I just enjoy watching them because they all have a great great great story line, character development and awesome fighting scenes!

HxH does have humor...so does Naruto!! Just watch it before you judge it!

By the way...in HxH...one of the main character (Gon) is by the same voice actor of Naruto.

I think the only thing I don't like about One Piece is that most of the villains seem to have the same voice actor....maybe they couldn't afford more than a few...hahaha
Old 2004-04-26, 14:41   Link #15
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draikan7
mmm, if you are gonna vote and give a reason for which series is best, you should watch all 3 of the series before you make a judgement.

I watched all the episodes for hunter x hunter the series (and both OVA's), and also am up to date with naruto and one piece. I also know what I'm talking about.

So like I said before:

One Piece > Hunter X Hunter > Naruto.
Old 2004-04-26, 15:14   Link #16
Trov
Holy cack!

I honestly only seen 1 episode of HxH. And it really put me off(might start watching it again). So I'll just rate it out of OP and Naruto. Now:

I prefer OP over Naruto but not by a very large amount. Why?

OP is very VERY funny, alot more funnier than Naruto. It's also VERY unique, which is actually good in this case. All the characters have a certain goal they want to achieve by being a member of the Straw Hat Pirates also.

Naruto can be just as good as One Piece except for one problem, The way the story has been lagging. It seems to take soo much time for everything to happen in the 50-78 episode range. Infact, I got so sick of it that I read the manga up to chapter 139 after around episode 53. But it really seems to have stopped lagging and slowing down since 79 though, which I'm very happy about, I hope they keep it that way.

Basicly what I'm trying to say is that I prefer One Piece, but if Naruto keeps up with it's speed now(which is good). I'd say they are both equal.
Old 2004-04-26, 19:48   Link #17
Kamui4356
Aria Company

First two things; I'm compairing manga, not anime, and I haven't read all of one piece.
What I have read of One piece didn't interest me at all, maybe I just don't like Pirates. Anyway, from what I have read the story doesn't seem to be nearly as deep as either Naruto or HxH. I really have a hard time understanding why people like it more. Then again, it could get a lot deeper further in, but based on what I heard about it, that isn't the case.
Now compairing HxH and Naruto, I have to say Naruto is better. Anyone who says Naruto is more predictable than HxH hasn't read the recent manga chapters of either. If anything they're on par in predictabliity. Action wise, they are also on par. The main difference is the plot. Simply Naruto's plot is better. HxH really has no overall direction, except for Gon trying to become stronger so he can find his father, The greed island arc was good storywise, but you can't judge an entire series by just one part of it.
Naruto has a much deeper plot, Oro wants Sasuke's body, Sasuke wants power so he can kill Itachi and avenge his clan, Itachi works for an organization that wants Naruto for the kyubi sealed in him. This is much more complex than anything in HxH.
Overall I'd rank Naruto first, HxH a close second, and One Piece a distant third. Of course Hikaru no Go beats them all.
Old 2004-04-26, 20:17   Link #18
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
What I have read of One piece didn't interest me at all, maybe I just don't like Pirates.

You don't like pirates?!!!!!...................

-.-
Old 2004-04-26, 20:50   Link #19
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
HXH- is my fav, there is an actual story happening all the time at the beginning it is slow but later it picks up. The story is then unlike anything I have ever seen . I give this a 9.5 out of ten

Naruto- Is soooo SLOW but it is ok I perfer HXH because it has better fighting and so forth. Anyway back to Naruto, I find it HIGHLY over rated like seriously this is nothing special. But it isn't terrible I give it a 7.5 or 8 out of ten

One Piece- Well I haven't seen any of it only read the first chapter.

Comparing Naruto and HXH. If you watched both you can see how they have strong points in both and weak points too. People who have seen HXH episode 1 say it is boring and turn it all down. I admit the 1st episode is BORING but if you work past that then you have an awesome show. My brother (20) who really loved Naruto turned it down because it was boring to him at episode 30 somthing. So he said HXH and he loves it ^-^" -For me:

1.HXH
2. Naruto

I haven't seen One Piece so ^-^"

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2004-04-26 at 21:01.
Old 2004-04-26, 21:00   Link #20
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
First two things; I'm compairing manga, not anime, and I haven't read all of one piece.
What I have read of One piece didn't interest me at all, maybe I just don't like Pirates. Anyway, from what I have read the story doesn't seem to be nearly as deep as either Naruto or HxH. I really have a hard time understanding why people like it more. Then again, it could get a lot deeper further in, but based on what I heard about it, that isn't the case.
Now compairing HxH and Naruto, I have to say Naruto is better. Anyone who says Naruto is more predictable than HxH hasn't read the recent manga chapters of either. If anything they're on par in predictabliity. Action wise, they are also on par. The main difference is the plot. Simply Naruto's plot is better. HxH really has no overall direction, except for Gon trying to become stronger so he can find his father, The greed island arc was good storywise, but you can't judge an entire series by just one part of it.
Naruto has a much deeper plot, Oro wants Sasuke's body, Sasuke wants power so he can kill Itachi and avenge his clan, Itachi works for an organization that wants Naruto for the kyubi sealed in him. This is much more complex than anything in HxH.
Overall I'd rank Naruto first, HxH a close second, and One Piece a distant third. Of course Hikaru no Go beats them all.
Um in HXH Kurapica wants revenge for his clan too by killing the spiders so you can't say that HXH doesn't have this when it does. They both have deep story lines and Naruto is not more complex, HXH is actually a little more complex.
Closed Thread