AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-16, 06:48   Link #3081
Dark Mage

So Ako is in love with Nagi and not Negi right? So it means that she won't be persuing Negi romantically like Nodoka and Yui right?
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 08:12   Link #3082
Wargumm1i
Hentai

God knows what that girl is thinking.
Old 2009-03-16, 11:05   Link #3083
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailEmperor View Post
So it seems the match won't end with 245. It did, however, concluded Ako's story and the wrapped up the blackmail/deal from Tosaka.

Instead of turning him in, Tosaka pitied Ako? and settled for punching Negi instead. That's some harbored resentment and feelings there from Tosaka...taking his past into account.
Yep. Oh, more spoiler images for those interested.

http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com/200...er-images.html

Quote:
No pactio between Negi and Ako, was more like a farewell kiss to Nagi. Ako still believes in Negi, who really is Nagi. At least she is moving forward and not moping.
I agree. Ako shows herself to be pretty strong and I hope this isn't just a front she's putting up, but true strength. I believe it will be true strength based on Ako's time as a slave combined with the general Magic World experience and seeing the length's Negi has gone for herself, Akira, and Natsumi as well as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
So Ako is in love with Nagi and not Negi right? So it means that she won't be persuing Negi romantically like Nodoka and Yui right?
At this point, I'd say that Ako is not in love with Negi. I think that even for Akamatsu-sensei, that's a bit much for Ako at this time. That doesn't discount the possibility that down the road a bit (even by the end of the MW arc) that she might decide she has feelings for him though. Her kissing "Nagi-san" is her way of saying goodbye to her fantasy man, IMO.
Old 2009-03-16, 14:03   Link #3084
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Yep. Oh, more spoiler images for those interested.

http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com/200...er-images.html

I agree. Ako shows herself to be pretty strong and I hope this isn't just a front she's putting up, but true strength. I believe it will be true strength based on Ako's time as a slave combined with the general Magic World experience and seeing the length's Negi has gone for herself, Akira, and Natsumi as well as the others.

At this point, I'd say that Ako is not in love with Negi. I think that even for Akamatsu-sensei, that's a bit much for Ako at this time. That doesn't discount the possibility that down the road a bit (even by the end of the MW arc) that she might decide she has feelings for him though. Her kissing "Nagi-san" is her way of saying goodbye to her fantasy man, IMO.
Kinda sad if you ask me, but she is taking it better than i expected.
Old 2009-03-16, 14:25   Link #3085
BlueDo

Negi: I can't do it.
Tosaka: Clench your teeth! Springfield! *pawnch*

Taken from someone else.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 08:56   Link #3086
Narona
Emotionless White Face

I'm not really interested in Ako side story. I was expecting to see the end of the match :/
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 11:37   Link #3087
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

At least this time she's somewhat progressing the story, solving the 'Negi's identity discovered by rooster head' sub-plot.
Old 2009-03-17, 12:44   Link #3088
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
At least this time she's somewhat progressing the story, solving the 'Negi's identity discovered by rooster head' sub-plot.
Lol nobody knows that guys name, everyone just call him Rooster head
Old 2009-03-17, 13:08   Link #3089
ZeroForever

seriously sad but true simply cause he's such a minor character that it's not worth the brain space.

good to see... that i have no more reason to care about ako then i did at the beginning of this arc.
Old 2009-03-17, 19:19   Link #3090
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
I want my fight ending, and make it epic! And why do I have some sort of suspicion that another pactio will be formed soon...

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 01:51   Link #3091
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Well chapter 245 was just a conclusion of the Ako story, no action no fight continuation. She gained some points in my book, but I don't see her coming back to the spotlight any time soon....
Spoiler:
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 03:40   Link #3092
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
Well chapter 245 was just a conclusion of the Ako story, no action no fight continuation. She gained some points in my book, but I don't see her coming back to the spotlight any time soon....
Spoiler:
Lol for sure, Im also pretty sure we are going to see Dark Negi and this time its going to be diffrent. But it sucks that its going to be released in April 1st.

I mean on fools day of all days.
Old 2009-03-19, 07:26   Link #3093
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Tosaka earned some points IMO. If some kid completely overtakes what you spent your whole life to achieve it would certainly feel like a cruel joke.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 11:43   Link #3094
steven3242

agree with the poster above me, because i know how it feels (its about game so nothing serious but i can relate the feeling about it)

tosaka definitely get some pointS on my book because at first i though he just your "average" bad grunt but, he end up become plus on the good side for me.

so good that i MAYBE the only who want him to go with the negi group as the pilot/caretaker for the "negi group ship" so akamatsu can spend a bit "side quest" on later chapter on how he finally earn his spotlight (you know the usual "saving the day" pilot who come at the precise timing and such)

negi group need a normal grown up on their team maybe 1 or 2 and doesnt need to appear often (just appear for some advise and experience talk and they can begone again since this manga is about negi group after all) and no, rakan does not count he isnt normal at all. tosaka is a good candidate for me

the other reason because i AGAIN maybe the only one who want him and ako together (ako fans dont kill me please)

i mean, they share the same fate (minor char) and ako seems took pity for him too
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 12:04   Link #3095
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I used to like Ako, the keyword being "used", until a chapter like this is released and the author makes Ako out to be another wishy-washy pussy-footing "I can't do shit so I'll sacrifice my being for you because I love you" character...

Bullshit, and she had so much potential, I thought...But I guess there always has to be a character that fits that cliche in a harem, but it's too bad it had to be her...Ako's right about herself: She'll just be another side character, ironic to an effect that Akamatsu can control...

The whole point of Negi entering this fight was to raise enough money to free Ako, Akira, and Natsumi from slavery, so I'm guessing that this chapter is setting up Negi's "RESOLVE", another cliche that must be fulfilled in a harem...Ako will be Negi's resolve to rise from the ashes and throw down some epic stuff on Rakan, even though Negi's already been owned beyond all logical doubt, because Negi has to save his friends, and to a harem's protagonist, failure is 200% not even a reasonable option to accept...

And it's not like there are equal terms between Negi and Rakan; Both are extremely strong, but Negi's climbing up an 89 hill here...Rakan just used logic in a harem title, dear Lord if that's ever forbidden...Why can't Negi? I thought Negi was book smart too...

Oh, but Ako's still cute though...

Wow, I usually like Negima a lot and have a lot of respect for Akamatsu putting a title out that's actually more than half-interesting to me, but this is one of those few times where because of one chapter I feel absolutely cynical about everything that's going on in the story right about now...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 15:57   Link #3096
Eternal Regnum771
Super Sadist

@MidnightViper88

Pussyfooting? Nevermind that. What's your beef exactly? I honestly can't pinpoint it at all. You know, Ako has always been a timid character that lacked a bit of a push, and strength. That is something of her character. Why does this now bother you?

And isn't sacrifice a bit inaccurate? It's more of cutting a deal than that. Offering to do anything, while in return, forget about the blackmail deal. But Tosaka had the right idea, it wasn't such a smart thing to have considered, but that's just Tosaka being protective (more like tsundere). But if Negi doesn't find out, no harm done. Well, it's good that she isn't moping. But she's being hard on herself, beating herself down. Everything she said was true, something she actually already knew about herself.

If you're going to start pointing cliches now, I'd really suggest reading it all again. I mean, why does this suddenly bother you now? Why not start with others who have similar traits or the ones that are designed purposely? Then again, I don't really see her as filling any "cliche" role as you think with this chapter alone. Aside from maybe...help strengthen his resolve role? Side note, archetypes =\= oversimplification.

And you know, this isn't a harem focused genre series. Ken have said he doesn't want a harem focused genre, but adventure/action more than anything else. A story of boy finding a grand/extraordinary father type story. It's for boys, a shonen demographic. It does have harem elements, Ken does it to satisfy everyone, but it's so obvious that isn't the real case here. Would rather not go into the whole Negi not ending up with anyone, it's all just an unwanted harem, and there is no end deal now.

Your mentality of fulfilled this, cliches that, and protagonist's plotting is pretty wall banging. All stories are crafted, it's all a script after all. Originality is nigh dead, what matters most is how the execution, the handling, and how it is depicted visually to convey the developments. And the series, so far, has done well. Enough to make it unique with fun concepts that is enjoyable, imo.

Freeing Ako and the others was one of three objectives for entering the tournament in the first place. Something Negi came up with. But as said before, the money wasn't such a big deal anymore, there are other ways if Negi loses. Rakan told him this already. And this match has does have something in it for Negi too. But that's more motivation than the intended goal. And this chapter isn't to setup his resolve, it only strengthen it. How can be a setup when his resolve had already been establish long before the recent two days before the match?

Rakan just used logic in what now? Seriously, what? How is that logic, and why do you sound so shocked? You make it sound like it's unprecedented or a crime. And Negi is still smart, he can't be an idiot, it not in his personality. He does make bad judging mistake now and then, though. It's just...he's been more crude than usual. He didn't come up with that new Armationem by mere luck or anything. After reading on Jakan, Negi knows he's a beast. Your typical magic and Negi's own fighting style isn't going to cut it. So he did came up with the idea of overcoming him in one of two departments that Rakan excelled at: speed. Sheer speed at levels Rakan can't...shouldn't be able to handle. And Negi was right in thinking so. Unfortunately...

Remember, this is the wrap-up conclusion between Ako and Nagi. Something that was building itself for some time. Take it as you want. And with Tosaka discovering Negi's bounty from awhile back. Why so serious cynical?

Spoiler for wow:
Eternal Regnum771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 16:45   Link #3097
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Holy hell, and I thought I was wrapping my mind around too tight on things in my small bout of cynicism...I stand challenged...

After posting that, I personally gave up struggling against all lack of logic, a mental fight I've had with myself over every shounen title I've come across and to just enjoy the entertainment, where I otherwise wouldn't have sworn myself to things like Bleach, Naruto, and Negima until the end of the story or my death, whichever comes first...

But for the record, Ako's been the first character in Negima that I even called a "favorite"...Ironically enough, my favoritism with Ako starts during the whole Mahora Fest debacle with "Nagi"...But this time around, the stakes are higher, and the situation has gotten a bit pathetic...Almost everybody that's currently in the Magic World seems to be putting out more in character than when they did back in the Real World, but it seems to me like Ako's still back at her original square, emotionally growing but otherwise not having put out too much more...Yes, she did find a way to solve Tosaka's blackmail attempt on Negi, but I'd probably owe that less to Ako and more to Tosaka's character...I still hold out potential for her, but I have to see more significant signs of potential before I start giving third thoughts...

The standards placed on Ako probably are due to her being in the spotlight and having a chapter devoted to her...

In either case, the Ako-Negi sidestory isn't what I'm holding out for...I'm more interested in how in the hell Negi's going to pull himself out of this shithole that Rakan dug for him...Right from the beginning, everyone's seen Negi as brain-smart, while since first being introduced to Rakan, we've seen him as brawn-smart (Short of the panty-sniffing incident)...Now with the fight fully underway and in the middle of it, it seems Negi's putting too much faith into strength and power levels while Rakan (Who obviously has Negi currently and fully out-shadowed in the strength department) seems to utilize logic to find an opening in Negi's techniques and using that opportunity to open up on force trauma...Rakan's already full of h4x with more willpower and experience than Negi has, so what else does Negi have up his sleeve? We already know the story of David vs. Goliath ends, but I wanna see how this iteration of David is going to take down Goliath...

That's what I'm holding out on...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 17:33   Link #3098
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

To put the reason for not liking Ako, let's put it in another perspective.

Ako is the type of character that has a lot of potential when it comes to the story. After all, a key feature about her happens to be her scar, which origins have yet to be revealed. However, despite this potential, it ends up getting wasted, and as a result she ends up wasting precious page space that could be used for other things.

This whole mess began with the Mahora Festival. While that is indeed the period where Ako began to shine, her arc doesn't really play any importance to the main story (unlike all the other events in the arc), and we really don't get the juicy details that we were hoping for.

Now fast forward to when everyone is separated in the MW. A lot of people were curious of what the other students were doing. However, Ken had to set things up so that way Ako is among the first to reunite with Negi, and then it's revealed that she's a slave due to her getting sick and using medicine that she can't afford, with Negi having to enter a tournament to free her. Sure, it may result in Negi meeting Raken and him strengthening up, but to me, my first priority was "What the heck is happening with my favorite character?" Hence, to me, moments that I've been waiting for ended up getting stalled thanks to Ako having to get sick and be made a slave (and that's when I really began to dislike Ako).

Finally, we reach the most recent chapters. With Ako knowing that Nagi is really Negi, it looked as if something big was finally going to happen to her, with 245 being the chapter where it takes place (in this case, her making a Pactio with Negi so that way he'll have another trump card against Raken). However in the end, it turns out that she just finally moved on with her relationship with Nagi, with the kiss between the two being "non-Pactio". Add the fact that the chapter consists of just the flashback, and it results in pages that could have been used for the Negi/Raken fight being wasted.

Hence, in the end, Ako has basically become a character whose potential is being completely wasted, with her actions in the manga only stalling the more interesting parts that people want to see.
Old 2009-03-20, 10:10   Link #3099
Eternal Regnum771
Super Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
That's what I'm holding out on...
I'll be lying if I said I wasn't either. I still see Negi losing. Ken hasn't done any pulling power-ups-out-of-nowhere yet, so I don't believe he'll start now. It's one of the saving grace of the series.

@TnAdct1

Ako did indeed have potential, but not so much outside her intended framework, imo. Her scar was what made her...interesting, to say the least. And she did began to shine since her chapters during Day 2 of MF. She is self-conscious due to her scar, and isn't confident in herself. In Ken's mind, she is the portrayal the normal lifestyle of things, and one who falls for Nagi.

If you really think about it, out of all five non-Ala Alba girls, it was ideal to have Ako, AKira, and Natsumi to be together, or have their stories branched together. And them being slaves was , more or less, an interesting event. It also served as a simple, yet, effect plot device. Ako was sick, but it didn't stall anything since she was sick and then was already cured when Negi and co. discovered them. The better gripe would be Ako not being depicted within expected bounds. Many people eagerly waited for the scar to be brought up again, but it wasn't. Still, we get to see bits and pieces of her being fleshed, so it wasn't a total loss.

Because Nagi is an illusion, but there is still Negi. We don't know how it will pan out in the future. With this conclusion of Ako and Nagi over, it's definitely possible for Ako getting a pactio later on and joining the rest of the other girls. Chapter 245 was all flashback, but it was necessary, being it closed three points: Ako's progression, Tosaka's blackmail, and closing the plot point of him seeing Negi as Nagi a while back, and the expected conclusion of Ako and Nagi, and the stronger motivation for Negi. Remember, these are flashback, and with the way it's handled by being half/half, save 245, they don't stagnate the story at all. But yes, her potential wasn't used to its fullest, thus wasted. But I wonder what would constitute as her potential at times... She can only do so much, and be shown in such a way...

Thinking it over more, I'm sort of glad with the way Ako acted. I wouldn't want her character being all suddenly all strong and beaming with a new prospect of herself. No, that wouldn't be any good at all. She knows her shortcomings, and got to the point fast. If anything, she became more real. Reality is such.

Next character spotlight needs more Yue. Of course, more Asuna too.
Eternal Regnum771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 01:10   Link #3100
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

So in the end if you liked AKo you were disappointed by this chapter because you think Ako's character will never take off. If you didn't care much about Ako then this chapter only means that during the next chapter the fight probably finishes. XD
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy