AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-24, 09:03   Link #6141
AlaAlba
...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
one thing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Akamatsu it's only 14 pages damnit! where are the other 4 pages!
> >
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 15:54   Link #6142
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
one thing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Akamatsu it's only 14 pages damnit! where are the other 4 pages!
> >
Given how there's a lot going on in Negima at the moment (and the huge amount of detail the Ken Akamatsu and his crew puts into the story), it's sometimes hard for Ken to finish an 18 page chapter in time for the deadline (especially when it comes to chapters that take place before a "break week"). Hence, it's normal for some chapters to be cut short by 2 or 4 pages in order to cut Ken some slack.

Besides, Ken's making up for the short chapter by actually having the current volume that's being covered in Shounen Magazine (volume 33) consist of ten chapters instead of the usual nine (with the final chapter of volume 33 being the next chapter).
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 18:58   Link #6143
al103
Grumpy Russian bear
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Russia, Krasnoyarsk
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
one thing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Akamatsu it's only 14 pages damnit! where are the other 4 pages!
> >
Akamatsu make 14 pages a week. We usually get 17-19 because of pages made in "break" weeks which are not really break ones. When "break" week is really have some break days we get 14 page chapters.
__________________
Proud Nanoha/Yuno/Fate, Caro/Elio/Lutecia, Alto/Sheril/Ranka and Honor/Hamish/Emily shipper. Last one even canon.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 09:47   Link #6144
karthak
Baruk Khazad
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
Maybe you can give her a preview some snippets of later parts of the manga like the Negi vs. Jack Rakan fight or the Magic World arc in general and see if that gets her interested. If that doesn't get her interested then I guess the manga's just not for her.
I'll try. The biggest stumbling block is the ridiculous amount of fan-service. She can stand it as little as I can, but she's less adept at filtering it out.
karthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 16:08   Link #6145
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
Maybe you can give her a preview some snippets of later parts of the manga like the Negi vs. Jack Rakan fight or the Magic World arc in general and see if that gets her interested. If that doesn't get her interested then I guess the manga's just not for her.
My personal recommendation for a "preview volume" is volume 5. Yes, I'm very well aware that this is the volume where Nodoka (my favorite Negima girl) makes her Pactio. However, the Nodoka aspect is only part of why I recommend this volume. Among the reasons for recommending this volume as a sampler volume:

-It actually shows the change from harem comedy to shounen title (as the first third is a harem comedy storyline that is actually important to the story, while the rest of the volume has some shounen action in it).

-The Pactio system get fleshed out here (with the aforementioned Pactio taking place, the introduction of the "copy card" system that allows a Ministra Magi to summon his/her artifact if the Magister is not around, and the bonus pages explaining the various pieces of information on a Pactio card).

-Plenty of action time for Negi and four of the five "main" girls in the series (the fifth, due to the fact that she can't leave the school without special permission, only appears in flashback in this volume).

-The volume introduces a couple of male characters that play important roles later on.

-Of all the volumes of Negima, this one seems to be the tamest when it comes to fanservice, with only one topless moment (that I noticed) and a few panty shots (with at least three of the panty shot instances being an equivilent to a henshin sequence IMO).
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 20:48   Link #6146
quigonkenny
Omae wa mou binbou iru...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Osaka raid...
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
My personal recommendation for a "preview volume" is volume 5. Yes, I'm very well aware that this is the volume where Nodoka (my favorite Negima girl) makes her Pactio. However, the Nodoka aspect is only part of why I recommend this volume. Among the reasons for recommending this volume as a sampler volume:

-It actually shows the change from harem comedy to shounen title (as the first third is a harem comedy storyline that is actually important to the story, while the rest of the volume has some shounen action in it).

-The Pactio system get fleshed out here (with the aforementioned Pactio taking place, the introduction of the "copy card" system that allows a Ministra Magi to summon his/her artifact if the Magister is not around, and the bonus pages explaining the various pieces of information on a Pactio card).

-Plenty of action time for Negi and four of the five "main" girls in the series (the fifth, due to the fact that she can't leave the school without special permission, only appears in flashback in this volume).

-The volume introduces a couple of male characters that play important roles later on.

-Of all the volumes of Negima, this one seems to be the tamest when it comes to fanservice, with only one topless moment (that I noticed) and a few panty shots (with at least three of the panty shot instances being an equivilent to a henshin sequence IMO).
And most importantly for American readers, Volume 5 is where Del Rey abandoned the "adaptation" tack and started actually translating honestly. How successful that translation job has been is arguable, but it was better than the "adaptation".
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 05:13   Link #6147
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
raws for 304 is out

Spoiler:
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 06:47   Link #6148
AlaAlba
...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Spoiler for chapter 304:
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 15:39   Link #6149
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
Spoiler for chapter 304:
Spoiler for Chapter 304:
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 00:52   Link #6150
Kurush
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Astral Plane of Sweden
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurush Send a message via Skype™ to Kurush
Spoiler for Not to mention:
__________________
Here, read this if interested.

"The objective is not to win. It is to eliminate every option for the enemy except the one to lose."

Knowledge is power. It should be shared.
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 10:10   Link #6151
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ako
I tested it and everything!
I'm sure you tested it quite thoroughly, Ako.




Three girls have their First Time, in this very special Negima chapter.
__________________

Last edited by KaneDragon; 2010-10-11 at 10:24.
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 12:09   Link #6152
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
What a chapter, it's as if all the somewhat repressed perversity of Akatmatsu came out all in one chapter. Magical stimulant drugs lol. There has to be a side-effect...
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 12:44   Link #6153
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
What a chapter, it's as if all the somewhat repressed perversity of Akatmatsu came out all in one chapter. Magical stimulant drugs lol. There has to be a side-effect...
he is the guy who before he became a professional, did all those CCS H-doujins
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 15:17   Link #6154
93143
...
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Are we sure that was him? I thought there was some controversy about that...
93143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 18:35   Link #6155
GreatTeacherKen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Yeah a lot of doujins attributed to him were actually done by one of his assistants, though Akamatsu has written doujin before.

That being said, Akamatsu does not shy away from perversity as his previous work like Love Hina, the chapter where we find out Paio II's identity, and numerous other examples illustrate quite well.

Spoiler for ch 304:

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen; 2010-10-11 at 19:13.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 15:51   Link #6156
DKN117
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whittier, Southern CA
Age: 24
What, what in the butt?

Memes aside, the wording in the chaper and on TV Tropes has left me confused:

Spoiler for 284:


And who's hoping we'll find out what Homura's artifact is soon?
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 16:11   Link #6157
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
What, what in the butt?

Memes aside, the wording in the chaper and on TV Tropes has left me confused:

Spoiler for 304:
Corrected one mistake you made. As for the answer to your question,
Spoiler for 304:
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 17:02   Link #6158
DKN117
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whittier, Southern CA
Age: 24
Spoiler for 284:
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 19:41   Link #6159
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
^
Spoiler for answer:
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 19:56   Link #6160
GreatTeacherKen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Plus, on a meta level, people probably don't want to see the girls' bleeding butts in the middle of a fight unless they have a fetish for that kind of thing.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, fantasy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.