AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-04-06, 08:23   Link #6801
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

3 WEEKS!?

Akamatsu...what the hell man!! (屮゚Д゚)屮
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 10:01   Link #6802
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Damn dude he takes longer and more breaks than anyone.

But can't comment much on this 3 week break since the tsunami and all that stuff
Old 2011-04-06, 10:36   Link #6803
DKN117

Akamatsu's hot wife demands "research breaks"!
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 16:21   Link #6804
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

When it comes to the three week break, Ken explains in his diary that the break has to do with him doing some stuff for the upcoming movie (as well as do some supplimentary material for volume 34). Given that and how hectic he usually is when he works on the manga (not to mention Golden Week), the reason why he's taking a three week break is understandable.
Old 2011-04-06, 16:47   Link #6805
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
Damn dude he takes longer and more breaks than anyone.

But can't comment much on this 3 week break since the tsunami and all that stuff
compare to the mangaka for berserk, he is a regular workaholic.
Old 2011-04-07, 13:47   Link #6806
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
When it comes to the three week break, Ken explains in his diary that the break has to do with him doing some stuff for the upcoming movie (as well as do some supplimentary material for volume 34). Given that and how hectic he usually is when he works on the manga (not to mention Golden Week), the reason why he's taking a three week break is understandable.
He's a mangaka, not a movie maker. He should be focusing on his main work at such a key moment of the story instead of using that time on a movie and additional material that won't keep his main plot going.

Really, I can't see this being healthy for the manga's popularity.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 16:06   Link #6807
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Piffle. With the amount of popularity the manga and anime have, the fans are going to be straining at the bit for those three weeks and will be eager to snap up whatever merchandise comes their way while they wait - including the movie.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 17:58   Link #6808
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Piffle. With the amount of popularity the manga and anime have, the fans are going to be straining at the bit for those three weeks and will be eager to snap up whatever merchandise comes their way while they wait - including the movie.
Even at the very best, five weeks without absolutely any material can't make any favors to any series. And let's not kid ourselves, big as Negima is, it isn't an One Piece, Bleach or Naruto mega-juggernaut.

Plus, the movie plot will have the disadvantage of being too reliant on heavy continuity, many of which hasn't ever been animated. Only the hardcore Negima fans should be able to follow it; a casual viewer will ask himself what the hell has happened to get there. Even a brief recap at the start can't cover everything. They should have gone with a movie reboot in the vein of Unlimited Blade Works, Rebuild of EVA or Nanoha the Movie.
Old 2011-04-07, 18:18   Link #6809
nines
I much prefer the 2d

True that people will be happy once the chapter comes out but they're going to be pissed off once its another 17 page thing. Before when kens taken breaks he comes back with 14 page stuff. That would be a major blow to him of people not liking him.

But even if people get fed up with the waits and etc they'll still read and buy because its an awesome manga.
Old 2011-04-07, 21:27   Link #6810
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*´∀`)ノ

Let's just hope that he will not only have his breaks in that 3 weeks, but also research more about his manga

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 00:46   Link #6811
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
He's a mangaka, not a movie maker. He should be focusing on his main work at such a key moment of the story instead of using that time on a movie and additional material that won't keep his main plot going.

Really, I can't see this being healthy for the manga's popularity.
Right, because to please all of his fans, he should just focus on one sector while blatantly ignoring every other media title that's based off his work...Better yet for the movie makers, they can boast about how it's a Negima title with absolutely no input from Akamatsu himself!

It's like saying an artist should hole themselves up in a studio completely devoted to their own solo works without going out to give interviews or joining collaborations...

It's good to see Akamatsu isn't so self-centered in his manga that he's able to spend some time on other projects and, you know, actually doing things he personally wants to do...Hope mindsets like this about the entire multi-media Negima universe doesn't create some sort of Negima fandom not being able to have nice things...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 00:57   Link #6812
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
It's like saying an artist should hole themselves up in a studio completely devoted to their own solo works without going out to give interviews or joining collaborations...
nice things...
Id love for Ken to do this for maybe 20 chapters or so. :P
Old 2011-04-08, 11:02   Link #6813
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Even at the very best, five weeks without absolutely any material can't make any favors to any series. And let's not kid ourselves, big as Negima is, it isn't an One Piece, Bleach or Naruto mega-juggernaut.
People will bitch and moan as always (hey, look, it's already started) but will be right back to following the series as always come May because—warts and all—the story's still just that good (certainly better than any of those three series you mentioned). You're still here, after all, and all you ever seem to do is complain about the series.
Old 2011-04-08, 17:24   Link #6814
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Let's just hope that he will not only have his breaks in that 3 weeks, but also research more about his manga
Most of the time Negima is on a break, it doesn't mean KA isn't working. He tends to take more than a week to finish a chapter, so those "break" weeks are needed. With the exception of some break because of holydays, he is always working.
Old 2011-04-08, 17:42   Link #6815
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
People will bitch and moan as always (hey, look, it's already started) but will be right back to following the series as always come May because—warts and all—the story's still just that good (certainly better than any of those three series you mentioned). You're still here, after all, and all you ever seem to do is complain about the series.
Thanks for the condescending and talking down personal tone. I appreciated it.

As for complaining, I don't like being a "me too" bandwagon praise guy. If I feel I contribute more pointing out the flaws everyone else seems to be willing to sugarcoat over, then I'll do just that. Because I feel someone needs to.

Quote:
Right, because to please all of his fans, he should just focus on one sector while blatantly ignoring every other media title that's based off his work...Better yet for the movie makers, they can boast about how it's a Negima title with absolutely no input from Akamatsu himself!

It's good to see Akamatsu isn't so self-centered in his manga that he's able to spend some time on other projects and, you know, actually doing things he personally wants to do...Hope mindsets like this about the entire multi-media Negima universe doesn't create some sort of Negima fandom not being able to have nice things...
Which would be all fine and dandy if he wasn't doing it at the resolution of a final conflict that has been going for more than five months now, with no end on close sight either, and that's not even counting the rest of the MM arc.

And if he wants to do "other things", good for him, but he should finish one thing before tackling another. Cook two bunnies at once, and you'll either burn one of half-do both.

And comparing a five weeks hiatus to the short time it takes to give an interview is a strawman counter argument of titanic proportions.
Old 2011-04-08, 23:57   Link #6816
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Which would be all fine and dandy if he wasn't doing it at the resolution of a final conflict that has been going for more than five months now, with no end on close sight either, and that's not even counting the rest of the MM arc.

And if he wants to do "other things", good for him, but he should finish one thing before tackling another. Cook two bunnies at once, and you'll either burn one of half-do both.

And comparing a five weeks hiatus to the short time it takes to give an interview is a strawman counter argument of titanic proportions.
And...your cooking analogy is any better a strawman counter in it of itself? Someone must not have been a very efficient multi-tasker...

How about we put it this way then: Disproportional outrage in more than one context...You're right; This latest arc has been going on for 5 months, and no, it doesn't seem there's a timeline set until the end of the series either...But all things in context, this manga has been running since February 2003, that's over 8 years now, and just by going through dates alone without including any breaks or whatever, this is roughly 423 weeks...

So, like, this has been going on and off for 423 weeks in our lives, and you're freaking out over 3 weeks?

OH MY GOD, 3 WEEKS IS TOO LONG FOR ONE MORE CHAPTER! WOE IS MY AGONY!

Jesus, does anyone even consider that Ken Akamatsu, while everything he does for his fans is appreciated, is still a human being and not our pet? It's pretty ungrateful and selfish to think otherwise, especially since no one even wants to give a remote thought that maybe in between his collaboration with other projects he might take some time off to the side to start laying down ideas and directions to take the manga to when he finally hits the studio again? You know, when he goes on this 3 week break to do other things, he doesn't necessarily have to be 110% devoted to everything else and not even take a second to think about the manga...Oh, nononono...Even worse would be to think that maybe he could use a break so his mind doesn't explode from the pure stress of pulling something convoluted or mindblowing out of the story without making it go stale and devoid of coherent thought from all the creative overexertion...

Hmm...I don't know; I particularly like not unreasonably whipping Akamatsu for no reason other than to demand nice things right now without proper regard to well-being and trademark creativity...God forbid he ever listen to someone else before he acts like an adult and does things on his own!

Damn, you know? Let's just chill out, forget about Negima for three weeks, go catch up on something else, maybe live a life for once, and before we know it, it'll be back...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 11:31   Link #6817
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
For a NON-Jump title Negima is quite the juggernaut...

Also, don't even compare the amount of polish and work Ken does on a page with the minimalist things that Kubo, Kishimoto, and Oda do...

Quote:
Plus, the movie plot will have the disadvantage of being too reliant on heavy continuity, many of which hasn't ever been animated. Only the hardcore Negima fans should be able to follow it; a casual viewer will ask himself what the hell has happened to get there. Even a brief recap at the start can't cover everything. They should have gone with a movie reboot in the vein of Unlimited Blade Works, Rebuild of EVA or Nanoha the Movie.
Why would a casual viewer even have the desire to watch the movie in the first place?

Also, the UBW movie was a complete train wreak... horrid pacing.

Rebuild of EVA also has a pretty polarizing effect... some see it as a complete sellout tactic by adding obvious otaku bait such as a moe meganekko and turning Shinji into Simone.

And hell, the Nanoha movie... I know that all the loli-otaku just completely loved it because they decided to shade in a couple of pixels in two strategic places.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 14:34   Link #6818
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Alright, can we stop the huge burnout over this? No one likes to wait but were at the mercy of the author and since KA isn't a huge main stream he takes his time to give us good quality chapters instead of rushing out chapters fast as he'll. But it is a little much how he takes long breaks maybe because his budget is small and doesn't have like 20 people to bounce ideas off of. Also he has 30 classmates to work into this and a war with magic citizens also.

We've been patient for a looooong time I think we can wait 3 weeks to see more about Ayaka (hopefully we learn why she's dressed like that and knows about Eva) but if not that will be something else somewhere else.
Old 2011-04-09, 16:21   Link #6819
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
The outfit is the same one Ayaka wore when announcing the Mahora vs. Mars-games during the school festival, isn't it? It's an eye-catcher and looks decidedly atypical, so it's a good way to have every eye on her and start people believing this latest attack on Mahora isn't really an attack, but just a big event.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 16:56   Link #6820
nines
I much prefer the 2d

O.o really? Could be a possibility of like a battle outfit or something? or something related to why she knows about Eva though. Since it does look a lot like a pactio outfit.

Tags
action, fantasy