AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Kill La Kill

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill La Kill - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 19 35.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 30.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 28.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 5.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-01-31, 00:52   Link #21
Death Usagi
Nano DEATH

Ragyo went incest!!!
Old 2014-01-31, 01:32   Link #22
Hiss13
Lore Keeper is Best Gril

First, the recap episode announcement at the beginning of the episode scared me for a second. Glad it was so short and done to some very familiar music.

Second, the new episode far outstrips the first. I will not say more about that.

Next...the scene with Ragyo and Satsuki in the bath was...unnerving for some reason. Probably the yuri incest...

Next, a lot of revelations have been made. Ragyo's plan is still vague, though. I'm guessing that she wants to spur human evolution again by making the Life Fibers omnipresent...

Lastly, a naked standoff! Woot!
Old 2014-01-31, 02:09   Link #23
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

The giant Primordial Life Fiber Ball reminded me of Evangelion before TTGL, though yes, plenty of similarities in the scenarios. (Incidentally, the next episode's preview shot of Ragyo's office reminded me that Ragyo's office reminds me of Gendo Ikari's office, with the giant empty floor space and distant windows.)

Biggest jaw-dropping "Uhhhh" was definitely the bath scene. That wasn't fanservice at all, it was damn creepy.

Seems very in-character for Ryuko to object to her and Senketsu being used, even if it's "to save humanity."

While the Satsuki/Ryuko teamup remains in the air, Satsuki does seem reluctant. The secret of Life Fibers is an interesting contrast to "Pigs in human clothing."

I really liked the first ED, so I can't totally like the new ED despite it being all cute Mako. The new OP is very nice though.
Old 2014-01-31, 02:22   Link #24
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
So that was pretty much a total exposition episode, and some questions are finally answered; Isshin was the founder of Nudist Beach, Life Fibers are a sort of alien parasite/symbiote that spurred human evolution, and Senketsu was created with the intentions of using the symbiote itself as a means to destroy Life Fiber.

Ragyo said that the Kiryuuins are simply the "mouthpiece of COVERS". I'm just speculating but perhaps this COVERS thing is the actual main evil force in this series that's been lurking in the background?

Also I wonder what Junketsu is doing to Satsuki, is it affecting her nervous system or something like Aikuro said? Speaking of which, in the new opening where it shows her tied up with threads, those certainly didn't look like the eyes of Junketsu we're familiar with. I have a feeling something bad's gonna happen relating to Junketsu soon.

On a last note, the troll recap at the start was amusing, and the mother-daughter yuri scene was uncalled for.
Old 2014-01-31, 02:42   Link #25
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I'm all for service, especially when it involves Satsuki-sama, but that scene with Ragyo in the bath screamed "bad touch."
Old 2014-01-31, 03:35   Link #26
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
The giant Primordial Life Fiber Ball reminded me of Evangelion before TTGL, though yes, plenty of similarities in the scenarios. (Incidentally, the next episode's preview shot of Ragyo's office reminded me that Ragyo's office reminds me of Gendo Ikari's office, with the giant empty floor space and distant windows.)
Fan art of Ragyo wearing scary shiny glasses with her hands steepled in front of her face in 5...4...3...2...
Old 2014-01-31, 03:50   Link #27
dniv
Science is Romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
First, the recap episode announcement at the beginning of the episode scared me for a second. Glad it was so short and done to some very familiar music.

Second, the new episode far outstrips the first. I will not say more about that.

Next...the scene with Ragyo and Satsuki in the bath was...unnerving for some reason. Probably the yuri incest...

Next, a lot of revelations have been made. Ragyo's plan is still vague, though. I'm guessing that she wants to spur human evolution again by making the Life Fibers omnipresent...

Lastly, a naked standoff! Woot!
Same thing actually. I found it hilarious when they did the recap within 1:30

That was pretty unexpected actually, and I liked how they made fun of that & the music was great

If you mean this was better than episode 1... then that's silly. Because it's obvious it should be, when we have 15 great episodes of plot/character development before this, leading up to all of this.

The new "things" this episode were great, rumors were right as predicted for EP 16.

The bath scene felt unnerving as well, but also strangely revealing. I can't place my finger on it though.

I'm guessing that Ragyo might be a puppet and not as amazing as everyone thinks. I'm thinking Satsuki's role will be to revolt somewhat. She acts very submissive to her mother which I find odd. This is especially true because she seems to believe in her steadfastness at having her own agenda when doing things.

This clothes/evolution with the unsaid expulsion from the Garden of Eden happening when humans were aware of the fact that they needed clothes.

This episode is making me see that this series is likely making a very deep/meaningful remark, or many of them along the line, just like I predicted.

The scene where Ryuko took a long time to think was nice as well, and Mako's just as great as ever.

In my opinion this was by far the best episode so far and it crushed episode 15 hands down, though I'm not everyone will feel like that.

This series is extremely good, and it keeps on destroying my expectations for what 's going to happen.

This is probably going to be one of my top series after it ends.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 04:23   Link #28
SinsI

One of the interesting aspects is the increased burden of wearing Junketsu on Satsuki.
I think as kamui evolves, it becomes stronger - so Junketsu will eventually overpower Satsuki, while Senketsu will bring his symbiosis with Ryuuko to new heights.
Another missing aspect is Senketsu's ability to communicate with Ryuuko, something that wasn't demonstrated for other Living Clothing.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 04:48   Link #29
dniv
Science is Romance

I also forgot to say that this is the first episode where as it got near the ending, I really really didn't want it to end.

That hasn't happened in a long while.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 04:49   Link #30
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Just watched it on Daisuke (with German subs, since I can pick up a word or two every once in a while) since Crunchyroll is hella delayed. Will have to watch it in English to know what was going on for certain, but I've got a few thoughts.

Spoiler for until English version is officially available:

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2014-01-31 at 05:05.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 04:55   Link #31
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Well Ragyo could possibly be COVERS' first and main host or something and is not only occupying her body but her mind too in order to enact and project it's ambitions. I mean a giant sphere of alien yarn can't really do much on it's own accord I imagine. From what we've seen it can be implied the dresses she wears are spun directly from the sphere itself too.

I can't help but keep thinking of the alien symbiote from Spiderman after this episode. It's just so similar a situation.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2014-01-31 at 05:17.
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 05:29   Link #32
monir
cho~ kakkoii

It makes perfect sense that clothing made Homosapien evolve to the extent that we would want to wear them. No wonder I've this infallible urge to wear these damn things (and in layers might I add) when it gets so cold outside. I want to join the Nudist Beach and bask in the sun. After three weeks of bitter cold and snow, I want to make a stand against clothing. Hopefully then I'll be liberated enough to get a few of these purple light-fixture hovering over my nipples and below the naval region to askew any casual viewer.
Old 2014-01-31, 09:49   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Very nice exposition episode. The life fibers being aliens wasn't all that surprising, but that they are the ones that made Homo Sapiens evolve was a bit more unexpected. So the life fibers rather than the Kiryuins are the real enemy. Ragyo is nothing more than a proxy. Nudist Beach intends to fight fire with fire and use Senkentsu against them, but Ryuko doesn't want her friend to be used as a weapon. In the end, it will all come down to what Senkentsu himself wants to do.

That Satsuki x Ragyo scene was hawt. It's amusing to see how meek Satsuki is when she's with her mother. I still fully expect her to rebel against her mother by the end of the anime. There's no way someone as proud as her is going to be satisfied with being a slave to clothings.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:16   Link #34
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't know what I find more disturbing: The Ragyo/Satsuki bad touch scene, or the fact that some viewers found it hot.

I'm pretty confident that the scene is meant to demonstrate Ragyo's depravity, and to help cement her as the real main antagonist of the work. Yes, it's clear now that this is Ragyo's role.

This episode went to considerable lengths displaying Satsuki's vulnerability and weakness - Two things we've seen virtually none of from Satsuki thus far.

It's interesting that Ryuko seems to be just fine after last episode, while Satsuki was brutally shaken up and wearing down. This could effectively foreshadow Satsuki losing her next big fight with Ryuko. It also shows how the bond between Ryuko and Senketsu gives her an edge over Satsuki.

In any event, a pretty good reveal episode. I'm a bit disappointed its something as overused as "aliens", but the overall execution of the reveals was good at least.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:29   Link #35
Death Usagi
Nano DEATH

I found the incest scene disturbing...
Old 2014-01-31, 10:37   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Biggest jaw-dropping "Uhhhh" was definitely the bath scene. That wasn't fanservice at all, it was damn creepy.
I agree 100%. I felt uncomfortable throughout that scene. First I was repelled by Ragyo's abuse of Satsuki, but I was made even more uneasy by the use of common rape tropes from hentai with Satsuki's hands above her head as if tied and her acceptance and perhaps even enjoyment of being raped by her mother. I detest depictions of rape which suggest the victim is a closet masochist and enjoys the experience. Moreover, submission is hardly an aspect of Satsuki's character anywhere else except apparently with her mother.

As perhaps a closing counterpoint to the bath scene, we have Satsuki's dead-pan comment to her mother as she drives away to Honnouji, "We shall welcome you with open arms, Mother." That sounded rather ominous.

On the possible Sengoku parallels, Ragyo might be the stand-in for Nobunaga, on her way to die (by her own hand?) at Honnouji. We'll see.

I noticed in the close-up of Nui that her hair goes behind her eyepatch. Must be the result of an Escher Topology Attack.

I don't like either of these songs quite as much as the originals. I appreciated the edginess of the first OP; this one is a bit more mellow. The Mako ED is cute, but I don't think it will stand up to repeated viewing as well as the original. (My favorite scene in that one is where Ryuuko stares through a window at a gorgeous wedding gown.) I did think it was funny that pirate Mako was the biggest of the cosplays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Well Ragyo could possibly be COVERS' first and main host or something and is not only occupying her body but her mind too in order to enact and project it's ambitions. I mean a giant sphere of alien yarn can't really do much on it's own accord I imagine.
Over the speculation thread I raised the question of whether Nui is a human at all. Perhaps that sphere of yarn can transform its appearance. We know Nui can shape-shift. Nui and Ragyo seem to have a symbiotic relationship that has made me wonder who holds the power there.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-01-31 at 10:59.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 10:38   Link #37
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Was the Ragyo/Satsuki disturbing? Sure, but that doesn't mean it was devoid of eroticism. In fact, that scene was clearly meant to be arousing, and it's what made it all the more disturbing to the viewers. It's not abnormal to find it hot. And it's not like we're ignoring what it tells us about Satsuki's relationship with her mother and Ragyo herself.

It's a really great scene. It manages to convey a lot about both characters and make the viewer feel uneasy.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:45   Link #38
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Was the Ragyo/Satsuki disturbing? Sure, but that doesn't mean it was devoid of eroticism. In fact, that scene was clearly meant to be arousing,
No, I think it was clearly meant to be disturbing. Most people aren't aroused by being disturbed. They're two contradictory responses for most people.

Quote:
It's not abnormal to find it hot.
Is it abnormal to be turned on by an adult woman sexually abusing her teenage daughter? Yes, I would say it is, frankly.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:46   Link #39
MCAL

That recap was hilarious.

That being said, I can't help feel a little disappointed. I feel like Trigger is making the whole thing more shocking then it really is. And I really hope this festival isn't another excuse for tournament style fighting, because that's starting to get old.

Granted while the whole incest scene was unnecessary, it is still interesting how Satsuki seems submissive to her mother. I noticed it in their conversation back in episode 13 too, where Satsuki sounded more soft-spoken. So more of Satsuki please.

That new opening is so much better than the first though.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 11:01   Link #40
Eragon
I got you babe.

It starting to feel like Ragyo's not all there within herself. Her dialogues are worded weirdly.

Anyway, imma gonna pretend that scene never happened. Best way to deal with it.