AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you value more in anime - Speed or Quality?
I have a need for speed! I'll always go pre-air if its available. Sometimes, I'll even go for raws! 4 9.09%
Speed. I might wait a hour for a more HQ version, but I tend to favour speed. 10 22.73%
Quality. Has to be at least 720P and/or I can be a bit picky about subs. No Pre-Airs.. 25 56.82%
Quality! Most be in stunning HD with high quality subs. 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-02-09, 19:26   Link #1
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Speed vs. Quality, what matters more to you?

When it comes to anime episodes, what matters more to you, speed or quality?

In other words, will you watch the very first internet-available version of the anime episode that you can find, no matter its video quality or subtitle quality? Or do you refuse to watch any anime episode until its in stunning HD quality of at least 1080p? Or are you somewhere between these two positions?

Now, I want to control (scientific sense) for legality here. To keep with AS rules, please don't mention any specific fansubs that you may or may not watch. For those who only use legal distribution chains, the speed vs. quality issue might be rendered somewhat moot... Unless you're the sort of person who will only watch an anime episode after it's been fixed up for the DVD/Blu-Ray, in which case your poll answer is definitely the 4th one above. But barring that, if you're someone who only uses legal distribution chains (but does use digital distribution) then you're probably a 2 or a 3 in the poll above. So just pick what you think matches your take on speed vs. quality the closest.

Speed and Quality are two things that us AS members seem to care a lot about when it comes to our anime-watching. So I'm curious to see which is the higher priority for most of us, especially due to the Pre-Air series we've had in recent years, such as Red Data Girl.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2014-02-09 at 19:38.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 19:50   Link #2
Tenzen12

Speed is more important for me, as long as subtitles are not completely screewed. I watch anime mostly for story and characters not for visual orgies...

Recently I also started watch raws for shows that I am interested in. I wouldn't do it year or two ago though as I wouldn't understand so much as I do today.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-02-09 at 21:50.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 20:10   Link #3
Kirarakim

Lately I try to only watch legal streams so that's how I decide.
Old 2014-02-09, 21:44   Link #4
Houreki
more reader than writer

Well I don't really care that much about the speed,and I'm kind of patience so, I can wait at least 720p to see the episode
Old 2014-02-09, 21:58   Link #5
Dawnstorm

I voted "speed", but actually it's more accurate to say "convenience". I like streaming, because I don't have to go through the hassle of file management. I'll choose the player/source with a minimum of advertisements, and with a minimum of lagging. Since anime tends to come out while I work, good quality shows are often available by the time I get around to watching them, but I sometimes still go for the lower quality releases, because the viewing format is more convenient.

When it comes to comparing speed and quality, I'm definitely a speed-type, though. I can remember getting impatient, but I can't remember ever thinking that I should go look for a better-quality video. (I also buy Dvds over BluRays, because they're cheaper.) So, yeah, I prefer speed over quality. But my top priority is viewing convenience. (I even once streamed a movie after I'd already bought the Dvd, because clicking play was more convenient than putting the physical medium into the player. I can be extremely lazy like that, sometimes.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 22:23   Link #6
Tenzen12

Actualy I second that. I have over 200 hundreds animes on DVDs, but when I want watch one of these I often, go for streaming as well.Yeah, convenience is better reason, than what I said before.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-02-10 at 05:18.
Old 2014-02-10, 05:13   Link #7
RoboMambo

I always go for whichever works on standalone devices, because I usually watch them on the tv. If I there's more than one option, I'll go for quality, being behind a week compared to other people doesn't make any difference to me.
RoboMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 05:30   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
When it comes to anime episodes, what matters more to you, speed or quality?
When I saw that title, I thought it was going to be about getting sequels out faster or waiting for them to be done better *cough *

Well these days [good quality] are out pretty damn fast already so I don't really see the need to compromise.

Now MOVIES on the other hand... The time gap between a crappy camrip and quality BD can be anywhere between 6-8 months. There's a risk of losing interest in that time as well as running into spoilers, but I would still rather wait for a [good quality].

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-02-10 at 05:33. Reason: can't mention
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 05:55   Link #9
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

For me it really depends on a show, and for what purposes.

For a show which have a high priority in my watching list, I prefer those fast subs since they're understandable and watchable imo despite the negative feedback I'm reading from they're shoutbox/community forum.

For a show which have a less priority I prefer the quality subs since they can take some time.

For archiving purposes there's always a BD Rip which takes a huge amount of size but highly superb quality (restricted only for those shows I loved).

Sometimes I'm encoding them myself specially if I'm watching them through my mobile devices.
Suzuki-Goro

Character:
Original Art
Old 2014-02-10, 07:09   Link #10
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

For recent shows, I'll go for speed, although I expect that the subs available aren't trollsubs.
For older shows though, convenience reigns supreme.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 08:13   Link #11
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quality! I usually watch an anime once, no re-run, so have to make it memorable.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 08:21   Link #12
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
When I saw that title, I thought it was going to be about getting sequels out faster or waiting for them to be done better *cough *
Interesting. What would be your take on that?
Old 2014-02-10, 09:45   Link #13
KanbeKotori
Toki's supporter

I can pick none of the options cos I go for quality BUT without subs(hated them).

So quality and raw.
Old 2014-02-10, 09:47   Link #14
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Definitely speed. Though I'm not desperate enough to watch raws or 480p streams. I want at least some quality that allows me to recognize a character's facial features

Unless of course we're talking about visually stunning shows like Fate/Zero... those need to be watched in HD (I'm looking at you, Berserker).
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 14:07   Link #15
Tenzen12

Raws are fun. You can try how well you understand to japanese.
Old 2014-02-10, 15:54   Link #16
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Vast majority of anime now I watch on CR, since I can watch it on the go with my phone (Vita app please CR?). Sometimes I rewatch the show from fansubs, so Quality is preferred.

For those not published in CR (which is really only a handful of shows each cour), I would actually say Speed, but honestly I don't check torrent listing sites as often as I used to. So by the time I do, pretty much anyone who is subbing the show already has their version up, so I just go by what groups I like most/most familiar with.

I don't watch anything less than 720p though, so all the pre-air episode bullshit I don't deal with. I had enough going through SD shows from the beginning of the digital age.

Of course, if it's something I really like, and CR simulcast is days off, I'd get the subs. Thankfully though CR is usually first; for example, only show that is delayed simulcast is Witchcraft Works this cour, which is amazing compared to CR even just a year ago.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 06:31   Link #17
Bri

Quality mostly. I rarely watch more than 5 shows in a season. I group up three to five episodes at a time of any given show to immerse myself more, so speed isn't really a concern as long as the material is current season.

While I have a few payed stream services, I often end up using fansubs for portable devices.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 08:08   Link #18
Arya

Usually I prefer quality over speed. Unless the show didn't have interesting debates going on, then I add the time/delay of release to the equation while waiting.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 11:51   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'd say both, leaning more toward quality. With the advent of simulcasts, speed vs quality is not as much of an issue as it used to be. We get good subs and 720p encodes extremely fast. It's not the best, but it's good enough that I don't feel the need to wait for an alternative. The only times I do wait nowadays is if the simulcast is censored or the encode noticeably bad even to my untrained eyes (not so long ago I watched an episode that was a pixelated mess during action heavy scenes, I stopped watching right away and waited for the next day).
Old 2014-02-12, 12:11   Link #20
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quality by far. If I need "speed", I could always go with raw instead unless the series involve way too much technobabble/gibberish.

The major problem I have with early release with speed subs is the fact they tend to lead to awkward discussions if a certain sentence is very badly translated yet taken as a gospel by some people. That or the obnoxious addition of meme and whatever expressions that arguably don't reflect what was being said/written.
That's not saying every quality release have proper subs by default, but you caught my drift I believe.

Meanwhile, 720p is the preferable option.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote