AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-02-17, 22:13   Link #81
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm not a fan of Nokia or Sony because they make the majority of their phones in the "candybar" form factor. My first phone was such a phone, and a Nokia too, I think. The next three were "clam shell" form-factors made by Motorola. I'd never go back to the candybar form factor.

Motorola OS, the interface and overall system of Motorola phones, is so-so. Smartphones are the way to go if you ask me. Symbian OS, Linux, or Windows Mobile Edition (the one Microsoft product that has favorable popular opinion) - they greatly increase what you can do with your phone. My Motorola MPx220 runs Windows CE, as it's called in the system information, and it's spectacular. The only drawback of having a "powerful" phone (hardware is an ARMv4 processor, I think it's clocked at 200 MHz) is that if you use it for conversations or applications, you generally need to charge it nightly. If you do both, you may have a hard time getting through a very full day without going to low battery levels. It's not a huge deal, but I was sort of used to my old Motorola v220, which even with conversation usage only needed to be charged once every three or more days. I'd say the trade-off is worth it, though.
Old 2006-02-19, 00:12   Link #82
edkwon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Yanami

I didn't say it was for every one. It was a suggestion based on what my family uses up here. Me, personally, I hate cell phones. So I don't have one. IMHO, I think cell phones should be destroyed. But that's this woman's opinion.
Wow, what a completely useless and troll-like post in a thread devoted to cell phone users discussion. This kind of statement can be applied to most modern technology, fossil-fuel burning vehicles, cosmetics, the pharmaceutical industry, etc...

Anyways, I sold my Samsung SGH-D500 and upgraded to the D600 model, another slider, but the key difference is quadband coverage like many of the high end motorolas, allowing me access to both US tmobile and cingular networks for improved coverage, upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0 MP camera, while not the best, still very decent in good lighting, 70 MB onboard memory but more important, microSD memory card slot, currently i have a 512 MB card, waiting to see when the 1GB cards come out.

Most important, being an unbranded and unlocked gsm phone, the mp3 playing capability also extends to using the mp3s as ringtones, allowing me use of any of my uploaded music files as ringers.

Tmobile branded T809 slider is similar in form and features, but they completely crippled the phone's features and only allow the user to use purchased music through their online music store, Spint PCS and Verizon pull the same crap on their music phones to ensure users purchase tunes from their online stores rather than use their own on their phones, however, there are hacks around this issues for many of the music phones.

My current two phones are the Samsung SGH-E720

and the SGH-D600

Ed

Last edited by edkwon; 2006-02-19 at 14:00.
edkwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 09:15   Link #83
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I was thinking of going all out.
Old 2006-02-19, 13:47   Link #84
edkwon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
I was thinking of going all out.
It's a nice phone, great camera with the Carl Zeiss lens, but i've read comparative reviews of the 2.0 MP camera and the 2.0 MP camera picture quality on the Sony Ericsson K750i and W800i actually rivals it. Plus that phone is big, bulky and heavy, so its not the most convinient phone to simply carry around, its more something to just show off and dazzle but its about as comfortable to keep in the pocket like a regular digital camera.

Ed
Old 2006-02-19, 16:21   Link #85
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Wow, that does look pretty nice. Got the size and weight specifications on it, as well as other hardware? What OS does it run?

The Samsung E720 looks pretty nice, too. I probably won't be upgrading for a long while myself, but I am looking forward to Motorola's next release of their MPx line, whenever they decide to do it.
Old 2006-02-19, 18:30   Link #86
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Wow no one talked about the Razr?

"need to pay to receive calls"

America needs to change that quick if they want to see their Cell Phone industry not in the danger of collapsing.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 19:15   Link #87
edkwon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Wow, that does look pretty nice. Got the size and weight specifications on it, as well as other hardware? What OS does it run?

The Samsung E720 looks pretty nice, too. I probably won't be upgrading for a long while myself, but I am looking forward to Motorola's next release of their MPx line, whenever they decide to do it.
E720 specs http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_e720-1021.php

D600 specs http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_d600-1103.php

neither of them run an OS like symbian or MS Mobile, just the native Samsung GUI, but very versatile phones, both i purchased as unlocked imports, neither avail in the US

Ed
Old 2006-02-28, 10:19   Link #88
theanimedude

Send a message via AIM to theanimedude Send a message via Yahoo to theanimedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Yanami

It's because there are so many ppl here who drive around and almost cause me accidents, cause they're not paying attention to the road. They're so busy talking on their cells that they put other ppls lives in danger. I even had a woman come straight at me in a one way--and she was going the wrong way. I had to veer because of that. I hate the contracts you have to sign that locks you into whatever agreement they want and I have seen ppl in my family get screwed by certain companies who wanted to change the deal once they were in it. Those are the biggest reasons that I hate cell phones.

omfg!! i hate those people that talk on the cell while driving!!!! but thats the person, not the cellphone.... but anyway, more flaming to them....i really hate it when theres a big van or truck and still they are talking on the phone and then they veer right on me. its annoying!! and then they go real slow.....

hope none of u people do that!!! its best to use speakerphone haha!!

on another though, i did manage to convert my mp3's to an mmf file to work on my cellphone, it has to be under 300kb's though. not bad.......now i need to change the face plate and everything will be great!
theanimedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 10:42   Link #89
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

I've a Samsung SGH-E620 since a few months and I'm very happy about it ^^
Lately, I read that it's possible to use MP3 files as ringtone.

Does someone know what bitrate these MP3 files need to be ? A 128kbit CBR is rejected by the internal media player. Same for 96kbps and 64kbps
I'd like to put one of Naruto's funny exclamations on receiving an SMS/MMS.

Also, any idea where to get firmware upgrades for this one ? My old phone, a Siemens S45, had a new firmware once in a while.
What would be nice is being able to use T9 in another language than the phone setup while typing (often need to type French, English and Dutch messages and emails)

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 17:21   Link #90
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I have a SGH-X800 which looks almost exactly like yours Syaoran. My provider however shipped it with a strange custom build OS... the provider themes are a little annoying :/ And I could not find a way to either get the original OS for this phone or a method to get rid of the provider themes (this seems to be almost impossible for Samsung cellphones)... well they added a 128MB transflash card, that kinda compensates the themes.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 18:06   Link #91
edkwon
Banned

go to howardforums to find out how to reflash new firmware for your phones, ppl on those forums do it all the time.

Ed
Old 2006-03-01, 18:48   Link #92
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkwon
go to howardforums to find out how to reflash new firmware for your phones, ppl on those forums do it all the time.

Ed
Sorry, unfortunately this place was not very helpfull (or I am just too stupid to use the search function right ). Except for few things I know now... 1) my cellphone had its fcc approval not long ago in the us 2) my provider O2 is considered good because it ships unlocked phones with minimal branding for contract customers (which is a subjective fact I guess) 3) no information found about the operating system of the phone let alone how to flash it.

Can you show me this thread where they explain how to reflash firmware for my phone (I really couldn't find)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 21:39   Link #93
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimedude
hope none of u people do that!!! its best to use speakerphone haha!!
Wireless headsets are the way to go.

I recently decided to fully utilize the bluetooth function of my phone, and bought a bluetooth dongle off of ebay for about $9 (it was a seller from Hong Kong, there was a conversion factor in the money to GBP). Since I run Windows 2003 on my phone, I use ActiveSync to synchronize with Outlook for my contacts and calendar events. I don't use Outlook for anything else, amusingly enough, but it makes managing contacts so much easier, as well as utilizing the calendar function. Anyway, the disappointing factor is that the phone doesn't connect automatically when you're in range - you need to initiate the synchronization from the phone. However, it works, and it stays connected unless you walk out of range or shut off bluetooth.

There are programs that can be set to have the phone automatically search for the paired PC at certain times or time intervals and then force a synchronization (and even shut the connection off once synchronized), but I can't find any free ones. I've heard that the reason that the phone doesn't auto-connect is because it'd be battery inefficient, but that doesn't make sense. After all, if you pair to a bluetooth wireless device, the two link to each other once they come into contact - why wouldn't it be the same with a PC?

Either way, it feels much nicer to not have that extra USB data cable lying across my desk.
Old 2006-03-03, 23:08   Link #94
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Actually, not talking while driving is the way to go. Talking to someone you cannot see uses the same portion of the brain as driving, or so I'm told. That's why whenever you finish a cell conversation while driving you end up going "how'd I get here?" I just got my license last week and I'm already having trouble with people on cell phones..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0129080944.htm
http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/511476.html
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 01:59   Link #95
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you're just starting to drive, you shouldn't try to multitask. As you get used to it, you'll be able to multitask a bit more. However, you are correct in stating that having a conversation itself is difficult. It sounds ridiculous, but unless you're driving in a deserted area with no worry of anything crossing your path, the amount of focus required to drive is more than people give credit for. I think having both hands free does help, but to say that people having one hand occupied was the sole reason for accidents is incorrect.
Old 2006-03-05, 12:43   Link #96
edkwon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy
Actually, not talking while driving is the way to go. Talking to someone you cannot see uses the same portion of the brain as driving, or so I'm told. That's why whenever you finish a cell conversation while driving you end up going "how'd I get here?" I just got my license last week and I'm already having trouble with people on cell phones..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0129080944.htm
http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/511476.html
Yes since you're just starting to drive, it would probably be a good idea to refrain from talking on the phone while driving for a quite a few years at least.

I use my bluetooth headset always when driving, as i drive a manual and hate having to actually hold the phone while holding the steering wheel and shifter at the same time. Even if i was driving an automatic i hate holding the phone to make calls.

Now for some ppl its unavoidable as their jobs or responsibilities force them to be on the road and make business related calls constantly. I usually don't engage in long convos unless i'm on the expressway anyway, in that case i have fewer variables to concentrate on, cars behind or either side of me, never having to worry about incoming or cross traffic, where i think a good portion of accidents stem from.

Either talking on the phone while driving is as much a responsibility as driving itself. Just getting behind the wheel makes anyone a potential dangerous weapon, hell it can be argued that listening to music in a car is just as dangerous a distracter, as we know ppl like to do stupid things like sing aloud in the car and become quite oblivious to surrounds, or listen to audiobooks which can really take attn away from the surroundings even tho you are 'looking ahead'

Anyone care to argue this?

Ed
Old 2006-03-05, 14:49   Link #97
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What sort of wireless headset do you use? I'm using a Motorola HS820; the battery outlasts my phone in my apartment area (where I seem to get two to three bars of cellular reception on average - that might explain it). It's very decent, although it doesn't have any wind protection technology that I know of, and people can hear the wind. I also can't use it in very crowded areas, but I think all wireless headsets suffer from that. Other than that, I'm very happy with it, except that I can't figure out how to disable the flashing blue status light during a call. Supposedly you just press both volume buttons on the same time and it'll disable it for the duration of the call, but I've tried and it only seems to register one of the two volume buttons... maybe it requires extreme synchronization. It's not a huge deal, and during the day it's barely visible, but at night I feel like some sort of airplane what with that light flashing every four or five seconds.

As to the driving while talking argument, having a conversation is different than just listening to music because you're thinking and speaking at the same time. I've had moments where I'm sure I sounded like I had a mental block because I'd have to break my sentences up while driving simply as I diverted focus between the conversation and driving. But there are other factors involved: what sort of conversation you're having (idle chatter doesn't require much, after all), the driving conditions, and how often you do it. If you drive and talk very frequently, your brain will probably re-wire to account for this sort of multitasking, and you'll be much less of a hazard than someone who does it incredibly infrequently.
Old 2006-03-05, 17:12   Link #98
edkwon
Banned

Jabra BT500, i had a Moto HS820 which i got rid of because the mic picked up too much ambient sound and ppl had trouble hearing me outdoors, i then got a Moto HS850 with the flip out boom mic, ppl could hear me more clearly, but i thought the speaker volume was poor, since it was flat and sat against my ear, often not very loud and had trouble hearing ppl on the other end in any situations but totally quiet rooms. Plus it fit poorly around my ear and constanly hung loose, i always had to fiddle with it for a minute to get a secure fit.

Currently i love the BT500 for function, it fits perfectly with little movement, lightweight, and the earpiece goes in canal so the sound isolation is great and i can hear everything clearly, plus the long boom mic ensures ppl can hear me clearly as well.

Ed
Old 2006-03-09, 20:20   Link #99
edkwon
Banned

Anyone recognize this phone?

The Panasonic P900iV

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Page=1&Id=797

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1A2...anese%20phones

Ed
Old 2006-03-09, 21:02   Link #100
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I thought that the phone in Final Fantasy AC was made in a marketing deal with Motorola, and that they were modeled in collaboration with Motorola?