AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2014-02-19, 14:57   Link #21
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tOpen.DeadInside View Post
If you remember, his goal was to not be a coward anymore and become a great pirate (like his dad) and with as much ground as he gained surviving on the Boin islands for 2 years, he still has a long way to go. What would the story be if he already met his goal?
The problem is the fact that he has made ZERO progress. It seemed like he made progress as he showed no fear against the fishmen; but here he is jumping at every grunt. The way he's been behaving in this arc is a complete 180 on what we saw in the previous arcs. We aren't talking about being afraid of Doflamingo or the Yonkou; but every little thing just like he always was.

I didn't have any issue with him being afraid of Luffy wanting to mess with Big Mom or Kaidou... those are the big leagues and showed how Ussop could have grown but still have room to grow. It showed that he rose to the point where he can handle himself against grunts and minions, but where he still needed to grow because there were still forces powerful enough to scare him. there's your story

what we get here is zero character development... or more like reverse character development, since it seemed like he WAS finally stepping up.
Old 2014-02-19, 15:47   Link #22
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Eh, I always doubted Oda would change Ussop's character that much post-time skip.

He will still beat sugar though.
Old 2014-02-19, 15:51   Link #23
The Small One

For me there are too many cliffhangers going on at the moment.
Sanji's group was last seen against an overwhelming force of Big Mam's crew.
The last we saw of Luffy's group was, that they supposedly were crushed by the palace walls, and now we have a ship crashing on Usopp's group.
It's time for some victories for the Straw Hats.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 18:09   Link #24
marvelB

As far as Usopp goes, I'm not really all that bothered by him still being a wimp. I pretty much expected him to still be one. It would actually bother me a lot more if he became as reckless as the monster trio (well, mainly Luffy) after his two years of training. Plus, Oda already said that he intended for Usopp to be the physically weakest of the Straw-Hats, so that's why I'm also not surprised that he's still even afraid of fodder (since they'd most likely still be stronger than him, ESPECIALLY in the New World).

And going back to Trebol, as I said previously, I think the key to defeating him (at least without haki) is to dry him out somehow, hence why I suggested using something like flour against him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Usopp had such substances at hand, since he keeps all sorts of wacky tools as part of his arsenal anyway, heh.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 23:14   Link #25
Diablerie

Enjoyed this chapter, though I would like to see something more of Franky's fight, aside from just a few panels here and there. Maybe next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And going back to Trebol, as I said previously, I think the key to defeating him (at least without haki) is to dry him out somehow, hence why I suggested using something like flour against him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Usopp had such substances at hand, since he keeps all sorts of wacky tools as part of his arsenal anyway, heh.
He is the utility belt of the Straw Hats, this wouldn't surprise me.

Alternatively, Usopp could shoot the chili grape over to Robin, who uses her powers to forcefeed it to Trebol.

Looks like the match-ups are about set now, too:

Doflamingo - Luffy
Pica - Zoro
Diamante - Sabo, Bart, Rebecca, Burgess
Trebol - Robin
Sugar - Ussop
Machvise & Senor Pink - Franky
Lao G - Toy Soldier?

Interestingly, Dellinger and Gladius are still unaccounted for. Perhaps Dellinger vs Bellamy, Gladius vs Violet? I doubt Jora, Baby 5 and Buffalo will get proper fights now, maybe they just get fodderised by Luffy, or Kinemon or something.

Last edited by Diablerie; 2014-02-20 at 02:05.
Diablerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 03:59   Link #26
henrymartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I hope it is revealed that Usopp is somehow immune to Sugar's powers. I'd love to see a fight similar in nature to the one with Perona back in Thriller Bark. Besides some great one-liners and mini-scenes, Usopp just hasn't had a real chance to shine since he came back, so I'm all for some madcap hijinks and crazy pratfalls.
Ussop is gonna be pinnochio!

I wonder how long his nose will be (since he is lying a lot).
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 13:01   Link #27
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablerie View Post
Looks like the match-ups are about set now, too:

Doflamingo - Luffy
Pica - Zoro
Diamante - Sabo, Bart, Rebecca, Burgess
Trebol - Robin
Sugar - Ussop
Machvise & Senor Pink - Franky
Lao G - Toy Soldier?

Interestingly, Dellinger and Gladius are still unaccounted for. Perhaps Dellinger vs Bellamy, Gladius vs Violet? I doubt Jora, Baby 5 and Buffalo will get proper fights now, maybe they just get fodderised by Luffy, or Kinemon or something.
Good analysis. Keep in mind, it's only a matter of time before Law regains consciousness. When that happens, he'll surely intervene somehow. And unless Luffy acquires knowledge of birdman's abilities, he'll most likely lose. Oda could pull a Luffy vs. Croc 2.0 in that it takes Luffy multiple attempts to finally defeat Doflamingo. But this arc has been going on pretty long already. And there's still lots of stuff to uncover and wrap up.
Old 2014-02-20, 14:35   Link #28
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Good analysis. Keep in mind, it's only a matter of time before Law regains consciousness. When that happens, he'll surely intervene somehow. And unless Luffy acquires knowledge of birdman's abilities, he'll most likely lose. Oda could pull a Luffy vs. Croc 2.0 in that it takes Luffy multiple attempts to finally defeat Doflamingo. But this arc has been going on pretty long already. And there's still lots of stuff to uncover and wrap up.
Already happened with Caesar,I don't think Oda will be repeating himself so often.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 16:02   Link #29
Diablerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
This is the first time in ages where I'm genuinely not sure how Luffy can win against his opponent, he does know NOTHING about Doffy's abillity and how it works. Considering how quickly Sanji got overpowered by it, that's a huge problem.

Maybe Violet will fill him in? Or Law wakes up at a convenient time?

Of course this all assumes that Fujitora will stay neutral, because there is simply no way Luffy's beating both Doflamingo and an Admiral in a 1v2.

Annoyingly, it actually seems like the Mera Mera no mi would be THE perfect abillity to get rid of those strings, but unless the Colosseum match somehow ends really early, I don't think there's enough time to get the Mera Mera no mi over to the palace.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:39   Link #30
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
This is the first time in ages where I'm genuinely not sure how Luffy can win against his opponent, he does know NOTHING about Doffy's abillity and how it works. Considering how quickly Sanji got overpowered by it, that's a huge problem.

Maybe Violet will fill him in? Or Law wakes up at a convenient time?

Of course this all assumes that Fujitora will stay neutral, because there is simply no way Luffy's beating both Doflamingo and an Admiral in a 1v2.

Annoyingly, it actually seems like the Mera Mera no mi would be THE perfect abillity to get rid of those strings, but unless the Colosseum match somehow ends really early, I don't think there's enough time to get the Mera Mera no mi over to the palace.
The only ones that can give Luffy some info are Law, Violet, and Sanji. Right now, Violet seems to be the best bet due to availability.

Fujitora is most likely going to attend to other matters. He said that he'll observe the situation and take action accordingly. Maybe Akainu will order him to come back to marine HQ (after having had an audience with the gorosei, he may want to fill in Fujitora on what's going on).

If Doflamingo knows how to use armament haki, he can infuse his strings with it, making them much more potent and durable to withstand even fire. I'll say this though - Doflamingo needs to go down legitimately. The strawhats can't keep on getting circumstantial victories. They need to outright prove their superiority from time to time.
Old 2014-02-20, 17:20   Link #31
The Small One

Quote:
Is it really a problem?
Remember back in Skypiea, the strange Lady, and Enel had no problem dodging Luffy's gum-powers, even though they never met him before, because they used their observation Haki to read his mind and moves.
I think after two years of Haki-Training, Luffy should be able to do the same. Using his Haki to dodge Doffy even without knowing his powers before.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 18:26   Link #32
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I've been giving more thought into Fujitora wishing to abolish the shichibukai system. In theory, it would do more harm than good for the World Government. But we also have to take into consideration Jinbe's comment about the marines having gotten more authority/power over the time-skip. What exactly that constitutes, we don't know. But perhaps the marines have something up their sleeve that compensates for the loss of the shichibukai system. Just something to think about. I can't wait for the Reverie to happen.
Old 2014-02-20, 18:43   Link #33
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

They'd better not abolish the Shichibukai before they reveal the new one.
Sakuranbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 23:28   Link #34
marvelB

^I think it's pretty safe to say that the Shichibukai won't be abolished so soon. We have to at least wait until the Reverie before anything is certain, and it's not even guaranteed that the WG's higher-ups would approve of such a risky move in the first place (though Akainu would probably be able to convince them if he was really granted extra authority over the timeskip, I guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Already happened with Caesar,I don't think Oda will be repeating himself so often.

There's kind of a HUGE difference in that Luffy got dominated by the villain twice as far as Croc was concerned, while it was the total reverse with Caesar (who only "won" against Luffy thanks to a hidden trick up his sleeve and backup in the form of Monet, respectively). BDK was leaning towards the Dofla battle to be more similar to Croc than Caesar (where the villain dominates Luffy at first).

Quote:
Interestingly, Dellinger and Gladius are still unaccounted for. Perhaps Dellinger vs Bellamy, Gladius vs Violet?
Kinda really doubt the matchup in bold. Dellinger already beat the crap out of Bellamy before Bart saved him, remember? It really doesn't seem like our reformed pirate friend stands much of a chance against that particular officer. My guess is that Dellinger with either team up with Sr. Pink or Lao G. instead, since there doesn't seem to be any other free opponents on the good guys' side at the moment (kinda leaning towards him teaming up with Lao G. since Franky is already dealing with two officers AND a vice admiral at the moment, heh).

As for Gladius..... I'd say either Violet or Kinemon takes him on. Probably Kinemon since it seems he split from Luffy's group (and we've had no indication that he left the palace). Personally, I wanted to see Usopp fight him (since he seemed like a gunman), but our long-nosed friend is preoccupied with Sugar and Trebol, so.....
Old 2014-02-21, 04:27   Link #35
Diablerie

Quote:
Kinda really doubt the matchup in bold. Dellinger already beat the crap out of Bellamy before Bart saved him, remember? It really doesn't seem like our reformed pirate friend stands much of a chance against that particular officer.
I think it's very possible that Bellamy threw that fight. He was clearly ridiculously loyal to Mingo, even after his beating, and I could see him trying to be loyal to the point of not defending himself against Mingo's officer. We didn't see the fight, so there's not really any evidence either way, but there's no solid evidence he actually tried to fight and lost, until someone mentions it.

I think it would also make a really cool throwback to Luffy not fighting back against Bellamy in the bar back in Jaya, but perhaps I'm thinking too much into this.

I'd also really like to see Violet vs someone, just because she has a really unique DF, and she clearly can fight, to be one of Doffy's officers.

Quote:
I've been giving more thought into Fujitora wishing to abolish the shichibukai system. In theory, it would do more harm than good for the World Government. But we also have to take into consideration Jinbe's comment about the marines having gotten more authority/power over the time-skip. What exactly that constitutes, we don't know. But perhaps the marines have something up their sleeve that compensates for the loss of the shichibukai system. Just something to think about. I can't wait for the Reverie to happen.
In all honesty, what good have the Shichibukai even done for the WG? The only time I can remember them working together was at Marineford, and even then Hancock was blatantly beating down Marines too, and Jimbei, Crocodile, Kuma, Mihawk and Buggy have all gone out of their way to help the Strawhats, at one point or another. Not to mention Doflamingo basically running the criminal underground. Fujitora kinda really has a point.

I'm looking forward to the Reverie too, if only to see how Vivi and Cobra are doing these days.
Old 2014-02-21, 06:35   Link #36
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

There's kind of a HUGE difference in that Luffy got dominated by the villain twice as far as Croc was concerned, while it was the total reverse with Caesar (who only "won" against Luffy thanks to a hidden trick up his sleeve and backup in the form of Monet, respectively). BDK was leaning towards the Dofla battle to be more similar to Croc than Caesar (where the villain dominates Luffy at first).

But I was talking about story telling,which is why I mentioned Oda,it's the same thing,do you really want to see every 2nd arc Luffy chasing someone while being constantly KO'd or stopped,whether dominated or not ?It's kind of boring.

I want to see a real fight,been a while,CP9 was the last arc with decent fights.
Old 2014-02-21, 06:39   Link #37
janipani

^ I hope this fight will be surprise in Dofla's side. It can be challenging, but I hope this time terror is in Shichibukais' corner.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 07:37   Link #38
Breimoon

with all the training Luffy has done he should be about Dofla's level so we can finally se both of them going all out.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 18:05   Link #39
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
^ I hope this fight will be surprise in Dofla's side. It can be challenging, but I hope this time terror is in Shichibukais' corner.
Exactly,I mean we're in New World now,Shichibukai is the lowest "rank" they could probably be facing that is at least challenging unlike Caesar and Hody Jones BS.

The previous 2 arcs were important,but the constant disadvantages to the Straw-Hats were laughable.
Old 2014-02-22, 22:17   Link #40
marvelB

Quote:
I think it's very possible that Bellamy threw that fight. He was clearly ridiculously loyal to Mingo, even after his beating, and I could see him trying to be loyal to the point of not defending himself against Mingo's officer. We didn't see the fight, so there's not really any evidence either way, but there's no solid evidence he actually tried to fight and lost, until someone mentions it.

Well, whether Bellamy threw the fight or not, I do still think it's safe to say that most of the officers (Dellinger included) are still stronger than him. I mean, they're all part of Dofla's inner circle, after all (which I think would mean they're all much more experienced). But that being said, I also doubt that Bellamy would openly rebel against the guy he admires, even if he WERE strong enough to take those guys on.....

Quote:
In all honesty, what good have the Shichibukai even done for the WG? The only time I can remember them working together was at Marineford, and even then Hancock was blatantly beating down Marines too, and Jimbei, Crocodile, Kuma, Mihawk and Buggy have all gone out of their way to help the Strawhats, at one point or another. Not to mention Doflamingo basically running the criminal underground. Fujitora kinda really has a point.

I've mentioned this before, but I think what matters here is what the Shichibukai REPRESENT. Rebellious they may be, they serve as a "pillar" to keep the world's balance in check. Their power and/or influence ensures that very few people will think of rising up against the world's top powers (and just influence alone IS a major factor here..... otherwise, Buggy wouldn't be a warlord now, would he? ).

That being said, Fujitora probably does have a solution in mind for the gap that would be left open in case the Shichibukai were abolished. However, the problem is that they'd need to work FAST on such a solution or else the world would be thrown into even heavier chaos.....

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the Reverie too, if only to see how Vivi and Cobra are doing these days.

Mentioned this before too, but I have a feeling that Cobra won't make it to the Reverie. Recall that in one of the more recent cover ministories he was shown to be sick in bed. I think that Oda is setting up Vivi to take his place as the representative of Alabasta for the meeting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
But I was talking about story telling,which is why I mentioned Oda,it's the same thing,do you really want to see every 2nd arc Luffy chasing someone while being constantly KO'd or stopped,whether dominated or not ?It's kind of boring.

I want to see a real fight,been a while,CP9 was the last arc with decent fights.

If you're talking about Luffy getting distracted/incapacitated mid-fight while the big bad gets away...... that's ALWAYS happened, even WELL before the skip. I mean, aside from Croc whom I've brought up before, it happened with Arlong (threw Luffy into the ocean while his feet were stuck in the ground), Eneru (stopped Luffy with ball of molten gold), and even CP9 whom you've just mentioned (remember Lucci tossing both Luffy and Zoro out of Iceberg's mansion at W7?). Considering how often it happened in the past, why would you complain about that now?

And mind you, I'd also love to see the Straw-Hats have a good brawl again. That's actually why I'm kinda expecting the Dofla fight to be a "Luffy vs. Croc 2.0" of sorts. Considering how the last couple of arc bosses were technically glorified fodder, it's about time we see Luffy and co. get themselves a hard-earned victory.....