AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2014-03-05, 09:52   Link #21
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
What I can see happening is Usopp retreating but returning as Sogeking. Maybe he has developed some kind of split personality, or maybe he's at least imagening that he has. The thing is, that he's a coward and rather weak when compared to the monsters he's facing in the New World. But if he can somehow convince himself that Sogeking is stronger than himself, then it would make sense for him to be less afraid of enemies when he's pretending to be his alter ego. That would be a very clever trick on Oda's part to make Usopp a decent warrior whenever the stakes are high, without actually having Usopp realize his dream of becoming a brave warrior, because he's still hiding behind Sogeking. If this is true, then his mask will probably break towards the end of the series. Luffy will encourage him and tell Usopp that Sogeking's power has always been his power and that he doesn't need the mask. And then Usopp will become the brave warrior and have his most epic moment.

It also makes sense from the perspective that many of us are expecting a bounty raise for the crew. Usopp doesn't have one yet, Sogeking does. If Oda wants to raise those 30 million, then Sogeking has to appear pretty soon. Else he would have to introduce a new wanted poster for Usopp and have the marines being baffled about where this Sogeking is now. But why would Usopp retreat if he's gonna face them eventually anyway? Maybe he'll get help from Hakuba or somebody else, or maybe, like I said, there is a split personality thing going on.
Old 2014-03-05, 09:54   Link #22
Trax
Rock beats scissors

So basically everyone is counting on Usopp (Leo, Soldier, Franky and Robin specifically), and he runs away. Usopp sucks, he's more cowardly than ever.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 10:02   Link #23
yakumo-chan

dont u guys get it??
Oda is building up the perfect ending of Ussop's dream to become the bravest man of the sea by making him cowardly now...

making ussop brave now will make his dream pointless now
Old 2014-03-05, 10:23   Link #24
Alpha Knight

Usopp has and will always be a coward, one way or the other. I find quite surprising that when we are so far into the story there are still people that get shocked about Usopp's scaredy antics.
Alpha Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 10:27   Link #25
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
dont u guys get it??
Oda is building up the perfect ending of Ussop's dream to become the bravest man of the sea by making him cowardly now...

making ussop brave now will make his dream pointless now
Doesn't matter. Its not the destination that's important but the journey to get there, and this journey stinks. Its was fine for a very long time; ussop's cowardice brought a great deal of comedy to the series, but now its gotten old. Seeing ussop fight on fishman island was very satisfying because he's been a coward for so long; Seeing ussop jump at every random grunt on dressrosa seemed rather pathetic after that, but seeing ussop abandon his allies, abandoning those counting on him at a time when they desperately neeed him... that's the lowest he's ever been.

Oda could have it both ways by just taking a balanced approach... Make ussop brave against grunts to show his growth, Make him hesitant against upper tier minions, and allow him to save his cowardice for the Yonkou and the admirals(thus leaving room for him to still grow). Ussop doesn't need to CONFIDENTLY step up against Trebol and Sugar, but he SHOULD be stepping up and facing them despite being scared (hence being hesitant)... yes that's probably what will eventually happen, but Oda makes him look PATHETIC by having him completely abandon them first. We ALREADY got that he's scared; now would have been a fine time for him to step up, not reinforce just how pathetic he is. What has he been doing for the last 2 years?

Honestly, i'm so ticked off at ussop that his comeback will probably bring me no satisfaction because I can't forget how pathetic he's acting at this moment. If he stepped up in this chapter, it might have done something to salvage the damage done to him in this arc, but after this act of cowardice; its just too much to bare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Shiruto View Post
Usopp has and will always be a coward, one way or the other.
Tell that to the fishmen.
Fact is, Oda already broke the mold; he can't backtrack now.
And again, abandoning comrades who are in very real danger is low even for ussop.

Last edited by Slayerx; 2014-03-05 at 10:50.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 10:28   Link #26
ri0

Location: Where everything is dangerous - I'm starting to like this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
What I can see happening is Usopp retreating but returning as Sogeking. Maybe he has developed some kind of split personality, or maybe he's at least imagening that he has. The thing is, that he's a coward and rather weak when compared to the monsters he's facing in the New World. But if he can somehow convince himself that Sogeking is stronger than himself, then it would make sense for him to be less afraid of enemies when he's pretending to be his alter ego. That would be a very clever trick on Oda's part to make Usopp a decent warrior whenever the stakes are high, without actually having Usopp realize his dream of becoming a brave warrior, because he's still hiding behind Sogeking. If this is true, then his mask will probably break towards the end of the series. Luffy will encourage him and tell Usopp that Sogeking's power has always been his power and that he doesn't need the mask. And then Usopp will become the brave warrior and have his most epic moment.

It also makes sense from the perspective that many of us are expecting a bounty raise for the crew. Usopp doesn't have one yet, Sogeking does. If Oda wants to raise those 30 million, then Sogeking has to appear pretty soon. Else he would have to introduce a new wanted poster for Usopp and have the marines being baffled about where this Sogeking is now. But why would Usopp retreat if he's gonna face them eventually anyway? Maybe he'll get help from Hakuba or somebody else, or maybe, like I said, there is a split personality thing going on.
Nice theory! I could totally see that happening.
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 10:50   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Usopp is indeed getting a lot of hate, but isn't it deserved? He's abandoning his comrades to save his own skin and he blames it all on Franky. That's just terrible. The bigger problem is that this comes after the Fishman arc, where he kicked all kind of asses. This is a complete character regression. I'm fine with him still being scared of the big shots (I'm not expecting him to suddenly become the most fearless man on Earth), but shitting his pants when meeting fodders and abandoning his allies is plain wrong. He's supposed to be a coward, not scum.

He's obviously going to come back one way or another, but this won't erase what just happened. This chapter proved he hasn't grown one bit over the timeskip, he may even have reggressed. If he comes back as Sogeking, this will make it even worse.

Aside from that, that was a very good chapter. Why didn't Robin just break Sugar's neck though? Oh yeah, One Piece.
Old 2014-03-05, 10:54   Link #28
Alpha Knight

If you really think Usopp is leaving his comrades behind, then you are for a big surprise. I'll tell you this: he isn't, and the last panel is intended for humor purposes.
Old 2014-03-05, 10:58   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
If you really think Usopp is leaving his comrades behind, then you are for a big surprise. I'll tell you this: he isn't, and the last panel is intended for humor purposes.
Nobody thinks that. What truly matters is that he did think about ditching them, even if it was only for a few minutes. The last panel isn't a joke. He'll turn around but he's really running away at the moment. That is bad in itself.
Old 2014-03-05, 11:02   Link #30
Alpha Knight

Don't mind it but, I think there's a big mistranslation in that panel. Actually, the entire chapter is filled with bad translations.

Knowing Oda this will turn out to be some mind conflict due to the desperation or a split personality.
Old 2014-03-05, 11:18   Link #31
Slayerx

Quote:
Then why are we not laughing? He's trying to be funny but this is NOT a time for humor.
Running away and leaving your comrades behind can be funny IF we know that the comrade in question is not in real danger. For instance, If Ussop and Zoro ran into a villain and ussop ran away abandoning zoro, it can come off as funny because we know that Zoro is not in any real danger and doesn't really need ussop anyway; Zoro can fight and take care of himself... That's not what is happening to the dwarves... they are in real danger; they have been beaten and are badly injured and are now left to the mercy of powerful villains. Heck Ussop knows sugar has the power to make him forget they even existed; meaning he should know that he leaves them behind no one may ever remember to come back for them. He should know that they are basically doomed. This is NOT funny.

And I just realized that it gets WORST. Ussop was holding a badly injured Leo in his hands in the last chapter, and now we see Leo lying on the grond with the rest of the dwarves... The implication... Ussop dropped him and left him behind even though he could have easily taken Leo with him as he ran away. So ya... even. lower.
Old 2014-03-05, 11:18   Link #32
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Usopp has always been the most annoying character of the crew...
i don't know what it is but when chopper gets scared it's ok but when Usopp goes into his coward mode it's just irritating... it's like come on dude... what happened to all that big training on that one island?? You went all out to protect the going merry but when it's the crew you run away?!?!
Old 2014-03-05, 11:23   Link #33
Alpha Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
He's trying to be funny but this is NOT a time for humor.
Running away and leaving your comrades behind can be funny IF we know that the comrade in question is not in real danger. For instance, If Ussop and Zoro ran into a villain and ussop ran away abandoning zoro, it can come off as funny because we know that Zoro is not in any real danger and doesn't really need ussop anyway; Zoro can fight and take care of himself... That's not what is happening to the dwarves... they are in real danger; they have been beaten and are badly injured and are now left to the mercy of powerful villains. Heck Ussop knows sugar has the power to make him forget they even existed; meaning he should know that he leaves them behind no one may ever remember to come back for them. He should know that they are basically doomed. This is NOT funny.
Even with that bad translation nothing in that panel implies Usopp is leaving them behind. Actually he looks like he's throwing a big tantrum.

Quote:
And I just realized that it gets WORST. Ussop was holding a badly injured Leo in his hands in the last chapter, and now we see Leo lying on the grond with the rest of the dwarves... The implication... Ussop dropped him and left him behind even though he could have easily taken Leo with him as he ran away. So ya... even. lower.
Sorry, but this is your own made-up theory. It's clear to me from the previous chapter Leo tried it again and this time got knocked out. Hell, in the last page Trebol says "they won't stop attacking".

This is getting out of hand, so it's better to wait for next chapter.
Old 2014-03-05, 11:24   Link #34
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
The thing is Usopp isnt even actually that weak. Its in his head...
Old 2014-03-05, 11:31   Link #35
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
The thing is Usopp isnt even actually that weak. Its in his head...
He is weakest of the crew.
The crew of the future Pirate King.

Strawhats worst is equal to most crews best.

Or would be if he got over his cowardice.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 11:36   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Don't mind it but, I think there's a big mistranslation in that panel. Actually, the entire chapter is filled with bad translations.

Knowing Oda this will turn out to be some mind conflict due to the desperation or a split personality.
I read two different translations and they said the same thing. He's running away and leaving everybody behind.

I wonder what he would have done if he still remembered Robin though. I don't want to believe he would abandon one of this closest friend. Even he can't sink that low.

The thing that really bothers me is that Oda seems to have forgotten all about Usopp's character development. 72 freaking volumes and he still acts exactly the same. It's getting seriously old.
Old 2014-03-05, 11:39   Link #37
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Usopp won't let me down, I'm like a little Tontatta tribesman and I still believe in Usoland.

Although I'm not surprised by Usopp's cowardice one bit, I thought his little rant at the end was a bit much. I do like the sogeking angle that others have mentioned, and that would make sense, but I still don't think that's enough for him to take both of them on. I think Kinemon just foreshadowed that Usopp is gonna run into and team up with Kanjurou.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 11:42   Link #38
Alpha Knight

I will all depend of what Usopp does next. If it turns out he only was throwing a big tantrum as I think (and it looks apparent he is, coz he even says this is Franky's fault) only for him to surprise everyone and their mother and save the day, then it will mean he just left to plan his next strategy. And that'll be good.

EDIT:

But it's so obvious Usopp is just faking-out I won't bother discussing such a simple thing to understand anymore.

Last edited by Alpha Knight; 2014-03-05 at 12:19.
Old 2014-03-05, 12:18   Link #39
Slayerx

Quote:
Sorry, but this is your own made-up theory. It's clear to me from the previous chapter Leo tried it again and this time got knocked out. Hell, in the last page Trebol says "they won't stop attacking".
Nothing in the last chapter suggests Leo got up and made another attack. All he did last chapter was yell at Ussop about why they believe in their captain. Its possible that what you say happened, but Oda failed to clearly show it since we do not see Leo ever make another attack after he was blown up. If that's was Oda's intent, then he should have shown a panel of Leo making another attack.

Quote:
This is getting out of hand, so it's better to wait for next chapter.
And that just shows how bad it is... Oda's mix comedy and action plenty of times, but it completely fails here. Ussop just looks like a pathetic coward who is abandoning his friends. He'll most likely come back, but the damage is already done. When even some of the FANS of the character are starting to turn on him, then you know you have a problem.

Quote:
I wonder what he would have done if he still remembered Robin though. I don't want to believe he would abandon one of this closest friend. Even he can't sink that low.
Ya, considering he no longer remembers she exists, it doesn't count as him abandoning her... jut the dwarves who put a great deal of their faith in him...

Last edited by Slayerx; 2014-03-05 at 12:31.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 12:31   Link #40
Alpha Knight

What else do you need than Trebol's statement to understand that Leo and his people tried it one more time?

And Usopp isn't abandoning anyone. He's clearly faking out, but eh, you can think whatever you want. To me it's clear, especially when one of his statements is "I'll write a honest history about the dwarves". So you're telling me Usopp is going to leave the dwarves die? Allow me to ponder that while I laugh my ass off.