AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-21, 00:16   Link #41
Guido

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus.

Here we arrived again to Victorian London at the 19th century. Back to Ciel Phantomhive and his butler, Sebastian Michaelis.

Reading arc's title I got so much nostalgia recalling D.Gray-man . However, actually, the circus presentation featured in both the OP video and title cards greatly reminded me of last year summer's Carneval.

Besides counting with Daisuke Ono performing once again Sebastian's role, we also count with Mamoru Miyano in the role of Joker, Koji Yusa as Lau, Junichi Suwabe as Undertaker, and Nobuhiko Okamoto as Dagger. Seiyuu whom also were involved in Karneval.

Ok. So, the Book of the Noah Circus Ark is form part of the storyline adapted from the manga, and they didn't waste time at reintroducing the show with its right mixture of black comedy, murder mystery, and one demon of a butler.

The first episode was pure introduction back to Phatomhive Manor but greatly reminded me of the first season's starting episode featuring Ciel dealing as well with a two-faced Lord.

So, Book of Circus beginning in the second episode promises a new assort of freakshow characters each one of them holding dark secrets and black pasts.

Can't wait to watch more, because two episodes are not enough for my craving to know what happens next.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-24, 16:30   Link #42
MCAL

Oh Sebastian was just having too much fun there.

The recaps felt a little too awkward though, but necessary evil and all. Madame Red was Ciel's Aunt, since the recaps didn't make that too clear.

Also, I found it hilarious how Snake spoke differently for each of his snakes. Not sure if the manga makes the snakes speak slightly different (Japanese being a complicated language and whatnot), but if not, it was a nice touch.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-24, 16:52   Link #43
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Oh Sebastian was just having too much fun there.
So true. Methinks he's enjoying himself a lot being Ciel's butler and getting to torment all those around him, especially Ciel.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-24, 17:25   Link #44
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Ep 3

Hmm...not much to say about this ep, though I was surprised when the shinigami suddenly showed up. The stage is obviously still being set here, but from the pv of the next ep it looks like we might get our first showing of a child disappearing. Might. ^^

Of all the circus cast, though, I think Snake's story is the one I am curious about the most at the moment....
Old 2014-07-24, 17:41   Link #45
White Manju Bun
I'm sorry that was a joke
*Author

Sebby you go and break that 4th wall Soma and Agni <3

I often forget that Ciel is 12, he acts like a 50 year old.

With William around was hoping Grell might also be but from the preview for next week sounds like he wont be.
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 14:18   Link #46
ookamigirl

It's been a while since I've seen Prince Soma.
Was nice to see him again.
Didn't even mind the short reminder flashback.
Ciel's talent tests were fun ^^
He sure got a nice beating out of it ROFL
The nickname Smile was hilarious!!
I think Sebastian really likes to play in the circus.
There is definitely something going on in that circus if a reaper is there as well.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 17:41   Link #47
cleo

t's funny. Usually a character that is perfect, tends to bore me rather quickly. But Sebby is at another level. He really is that perfect, and watching it is fun, exciting and awesome. No matter how interesting the circus-characters appear to be, he's very much the star of the show up till now.
I too had some hope of Grell showing up, but than again, his appearance would overshadow all the new characters. And at this moment, I'm more interested to see more about Snake and Joker.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 19:41   Link #48
PreSage
I see bacon!

LOL at Sebby...he was having way to much fun in the circus. Ciel's tests were just hilarious, especially the tightrope wall - rofl at Sebby shooting pebbles to keep up afloat and then trying to contain his laughter after.

When Sebby ran off to choose his act, I thought for sure the first thing he'd run to is the tiger in the beast act.

This was a fun episode. Always love Sebastian trolling everyone with a straight face.

I can't remember if it was ever shown or hinted in previous seasons but do you think Sebastian truly cares about Ciel in any way? Sometimes I think he does.
---------------
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 20:24   Link #49
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
LOL at Sebby...he was having way to much fun in the circus. Ciel's tests were just hilarious, especially the tightrope wall - rofl at Sebby shooting pebbles to keep up afloat and then trying to contain his laughter after.

When Sebby ran off to choose his act, I thought for sure the first thing he'd run to is the tiger in the beast act.

This was a fun episode. Always love Sebastian trolling everyone with a straight face.

I can't remember if it was ever shown or hinted in previous seasons but do you think Sebastian truly cares about Ciel in any way? Sometimes I think he does.

I think he does in his own way as well. He's being tsun tsun.

But not in that creepy pedoYay way that the fujioshi are convinced of

Best part of this episode: Bassy trolling the fuck out of Ciel on the tightrope and laughing his ass off at Ciel's tests.
Old 2014-07-26, 20:41   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post

That question is really the raison d'etre of the entire series, it seems to me. Ciel is fundamentally a product to be cultivated for harvest, and it should never be forgotten what Sebastian is. Does he really care about Ciel in any recognizably human sense - and does it make any practical difference if he does? That's a question the reader has to answer for themselves until the mangaka definitively answers it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 20:47   Link #51
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

I have only seen season 1 and the few eps of s3 that have aired, but my impression is that it really does not make any practical difference even if he does care for him.

However, sure would make for an interesting twist is something could be done. Still, at the moment, having not read the manga and not having a whole lot else to go on (most everyone I have come across thus far seems to regard s2 as somehow "outside the corpus canon" or some such) I can't see any such possibility.

Hmm ... can shinigami's be "appointed"? That would be an interesting twist.
Old 2014-07-26, 20:54   Link #52
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It makes no sense to look at S2 for any clues as to how the characters think and behave, because it has no relation to the source material. The mangaka had no involvement and whatever the characters said or did has no bearing on how she views their motivation.
Old 2014-07-27, 18:43   Link #53
Guido

His Butler, Hired

It's hard for Sebastian not to laugh after tormenting Ciel in order to have all three tests passed. Sometimes a demon of a butler has to reap his amusement out of expense from his master.

William T. Spears (manager Reaper) appearing undercover as part of the circus staff of recruited newbies means that the Noah Circus is more than meets the eye than what their crew members let it on to Sebastian and Ciel. Furthermore, if Sebastian couldn't sense the children, then they had all of them an end far worse than death, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It makes no sense to look at S2 for any clues as to how the characters think and behave, because it has no relation to the source material. The mangaka had no involvement and whatever the characters said or did has no bearing on how she views their motivation.
S2 has no connection at all with the first and third seasons.

The last third of episodes from S1 have no relation whatsoever with the manga, as well.

If S3 reintroduced both Agni and Soma characters, then that means they along with their story arc form part of the original manga story.

The only involvement that the mangaka had for S2 was designing the characters Alois Trancy and Claude Faustus who were protagonist/antagonists in the said season 2.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 22:06   Link #54
MgMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
t's funny. Usually a character that is perfect, tends to bore me rather quickly. But Sebby is at another level. He really is that perfect, and watching it is fun, exciting and awesome. No matter how interesting the circus-characters appear to be, he's very much the star of the show up till now.

Yep! Sebastian might just be the best example of how a Gary Stu can be one hell of an entertaining character if done right. Tatsuya & Kirito might be entertaining even for ex-haters like myself if you view their shows in a "so bad it's good" way but there's no need to drastically change your way of viewing at the show to find entertainment in Kuroshitsuji. Sebby's just genuinely entertaining!
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 00:38   Link #55
White Manju Bun
I'm sorry that was a joke
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
t's funny. Usually a character that is perfect, tends to bore me rather quickly. But Sebby is at another level. He really is that perfect, and watching it is fun, exciting and awesome.
I'm the same way which is why I stopped watching Mahouka, Tatsuya was too much for me, so perfect but also the most boring character. Sebby makes it entertaining, he performs and also likes to torment Ciel which is hilarious.
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 18:16   Link #56
MCAL

That Abduction scene was sure... something (That was filler by the way).

Loved Sebastian and Will's reaction to hearing they have to share the same room.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 22:57   Link #57
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Ep 4

Yes indeed...I also was creeped out by the abduction scene - very effectively done (filler or no). We finally begin to see the underbelly of the circus in this ep.

By the way, did anyone notice whether or no Snake was amongst the circus crew when they head out to do the kidnapping?
Old 2014-08-02, 01:19   Link #58
PreSage
I see bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Ep 4

Yes indeed...I also was creeped out by the abduction scene - very effectively done (filler or no). We finally begin to see the underbelly of the circus in this ep.

By the way, did anyone notice whether or no Snake was amongst the circus crew when they head out to do the kidnapping?
I don't think Snake was part of the abducting crew. He seems to have a completely different role.

But, I agree, that abduction scene was disturbing. I feel so sorry for the little girl wanting to help her mom and little brother, and that police officer - leaving his little daughter and family behind. Whatever the circus guys' reasons are, I have no sympathy for them when they get captured.

Suits and Black roommates...

That other Reaper with the lawnmower was funny...a lawnmower as your weapon...
---------------
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 01:27   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's hard to escape the impression that the Okada Mari anime-original season did real damage to this franchise among Western fans, given the almost total lack of attention this season is getting. Happily it's still on-track to sell handsomely.

Another sterling and atmospheric episode. The anime-original abduction scene was excellent and felt very much in the moment. And it was nice to see Ciel really showing off his vulnerable side - for all his usual precocious intelligence and iron will, here he was very much the frightened child for once.
Old 2014-08-02, 04:16   Link #60
AceTrigger

I always thought that Kuroshitsuji was a popular series but I was surprised to find out that not that many people are watching Book of Circus..

Anyway, Book of Circus is currently the highest rated Summer 2014 anime~

AceTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote