AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-04-14, 21:01   Link #1
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

What Defines an "Entry-Level" Anime?

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted on this forum, but I have a question. I was reading comments on a youtube video about a week ago. In the comments section one person made a Naruto reference, only to be reprimanded by another commentor. The reply said something along the lines of "Eww...get your entry-level anime out of here."

This was the first time that I've ever really heard that term used before. At first, I thought it meant main-stream, but after doing research, I found a few entry-level anime that I had never ever seen before. So, what would you guys consider an entry-level anime?

Thanks.
Old 2014-04-14, 21:20   Link #2
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support

In the post's context, the guy who replied was probably mixing up the terms and complaining about mainstream anime. I think that an entry-level anime is something different: specifically, it is good for new timers to begin watching. Anime such as those are variable, since different people will have different tastes. Since such anime would be the shows that really draw in potential viewers, they could be anything. I myself started watching anime after seeing the Ah! My Goddess movie, and I've introduced several people to anime through Makoto Shinkai's Five Centimeters per Second.
Old 2014-04-14, 21:58   Link #3
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

For moe/humor/slice of life anime, I'd say Azumanga Daioh. Mostly just to get the concepts down before heading into other things.
Old 2014-04-14, 22:20   Link #4
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

You don't have to force yourself to watch anime peope consider entry-level anime. Watch what you want to watch. There's no need to feel an obligation. It's subjective whether you have to watch entry level first or if a certain should be considered entry level anime. I for one recommend peope to avoid azumanga daioh or at least drop it if you're not feelin it by ep 1 or 2. I personally don't think it falls under entry level anime.
Old 2014-04-14, 23:23   Link #5
GundamZZ
残念美人

From what I understand, entry level anime is the show most people can comprehend. For example, Frozen is an entry level anime, and it is not. A lot of peopl watch Frozen, but they may not understand it. For the entry level Japanese animation, it should have some easy to understand dialogue. Ages ago, I went to rent a lot of anime from local video stores. Those videos had no subtitles. Thee clerk said if I should watch children anime. Because the children's anime has no vulgar language(and vulgar act), it is good introduction for learning Japanese language. On the other hand, Naruto has too vulgar languages. The children anime in Japan tends to have more simple drawing. Some of them are about school and family. Some of them are about Japanese history. When you have Chibi Momoko on one hand and Bible Black on another hand, you know what should be the choice.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 23:28   Link #6
IceHism

I'm pretty sure naruto is not an entry-level anime. Entry-level sounds like it is aimed specifically for young kids like spirited away or my neighbor totoro.

But it looks like that guy mixed entry-level with mainstream anime for some reason?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 23:29   Link #7
Azulet

This is actually an interesting thread. I grew up with anime (sailor moon, saint seiya, doremon, etc) and have always been pretty lucky when it comes to finding friends who enjoy it. Recently had to explain to some friends (non-anime watchers) what an anime convention is and after showing something as tame as polar bear cafe, they thought it was very wild.

I also agree with previous comment on watching what you find enjoyable. After all, anime is just as much a medium for storytelling as other forms.
Azulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 00:20   Link #8
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

I don't really consider Naruto to be entry-level. Popular among new anime watchers, yes, but far from ideal to show as a first or even fifth anime to most newcomers. The reason is that it's just way too long for get into, and unlike something like The Simpsons, it has a continuous plot that requires watching/reading from the beginning.

I consider entry-level anime be low on obscure Japanese culture, not long (i.e. <100 episodes), and containing several universal themes. I think Little Witch Academia, Cowboy Bebop, Usagi Drop, and most of Miyazaki and Hosoda's movies could be great starter anime.

What constitutes an entry-level anime could also differ depending on the culture and interests of the person you're introducing it to. A lot of Americans who are getting into anime tend to gravitate towards action and dark themes, so titles such as Ninja Scroll and Psycho-Pass may interest them. East Asians often like their drama shows, so Nagi no Asukara and Tari Tari might be good to show them. And if the person is a military or history geek, they may like Sora no Woto and Girls und Panzer.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Space Dandy
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 00:25   Link #9
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

I started in the days of Star Blazers, Battle for the Planets and reruns of Speed Racer. I didn't know there were anime since I don't think that was a terms yet, they were in English, and I was like three years old.
Old 2014-04-15, 13:55   Link #10
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Thanks for all the replies guys! Haha

I think I have a better understanding of the term now. Although it does seem like there is a bit of debate on the subject, I think that there is a general consensus.

And I didn't even know that Speed Racer was an anime until 7th grade. I always thought that it was American. Looking back on it now, it seems rather obvious. XD
Old 2014-04-15, 14:00   Link #11
cyth
ふひひ

Children's anime are inherently entry-level. Because of those, people are more willing to follow anime when they are older. Fans think getting someone older into anime is hard, so an appropriate title is needed to crack the ice (your FMAs, Death Notes, Attack on Titans). This is what fans label as entry-level, but in reality it's not that hard to get people to watch if they already watched childrens cartoons when they were very young.
Old 2014-04-15, 14:51   Link #12
RichardFromMarple

The Battle Of The Planets was one of the first I watch, & didn't know for a long time it was Japanese, same with some semi-anime from the 1980's like Ulysses 31 & The Mysterious Cities Of Gold.

Nadia The Secret Of Blue Water is a good transitional series if you are used to Ghibli levels of anime to something more intense, as it can go from very cutesy to mind blowing spectacuar over the course of a single episode.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 19:32   Link #13
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

What some people think is an "entry-level" anime are series watched a majority of anime watchers who were exposed to a small number of anime series. In a sense, "they only entered—and explored little into—the world of anime" through those anime series.

True "entry-level" anime are those which are easy to grasp and understand and is easily accessible. Depending on where you are, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball Z or even Space Dandy can turn out as entry-level anime.

In response to the OP, Naruto is an entry-level anime series in both cases, except that it's less easy to grasp than Doraemon, for example.
(Absolute Duo, Seirei Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil still under consideration).

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2014-04-15 at 20:00.
Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 19:50   Link #14
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I consider entry-level anime be low on obscure Japanese culture, not long (i.e. <100 episodes), and containing several universal themes. I think Little Witch Academia, Cowboy Bebop, Usagi Drop, and most of Miyazaki and Hosoda's movies could be great starter anime.
Older noitamia series (+ Usagi Drop) which were largely josei in nature in general are good entry-level anime for the group that already watch japanese TV dramas. But otherwise I do agree with your notion that Miyazaki and Hosoda movies are great entry-level anime.

Quote:
What constitutes an entry-level anime could also differ depending on the culture and interests of the person you're introducing it to. A lot of Americans who are getting into anime tend to gravitate towards action and dark themes, so titles such as Ninja Scroll and Psycho-Pass may interest them. East Asians often like their drama shows, so Nagi no Asukara and Tari Tari might be good to show them. And if the person is a military or history geek, they may like Sora no Woto and Girls und Panzer.
Agreed... except for your East Asian examples . I know for a fact that Koreans love their melodrama so I would put in stuff like Anohana, ef tale of memories and White Album 2. White Album 2 for example for due to the setting and season, reminded me a little bit of the K-drama Winter Sonata. Oh and all three of these series pretty much got Korean dubs almost instantaneously when it was available in their countries. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 2014-04-17, 14:21   Link #15
Snarfs

I'll just weigh in here a little. Firstly Ill talk about what my starter anime were and then what I currently use as a starter for others. For me, DBZ and maybe even tenchi was the very beginning. However, the stuff that really got me into anime are as follows: Kenshin, Yuyu hakusho, gundam, cowboy bebop, flcl. I blame adult swim for really getting me into anime.

However, if you're trying to get someone TOTALLY unexposed into anime, have them watch Deathnote. In my opinion, Deathnote is the "least anime" anime out there. I'm telling you, if they did an American version of a movie of Deathnote (providing they don't totally mess it up, looking at you DB Evolution), it would do really well. If you're trying to get someone who remembers growing up watching DBZ, have them watch Yuyu Hakusho since it's just amazing. Anyone else, unfortunately I would say have them watch FMA. I prefer the original series because I really liked the movie...I just preferred the original. Those are my thoughts.

Also, a side note. Entry level anime are definitely going to change as years go by. I even get a little resistance when I tell people to watch bebop. Shockingly a lot of people don't like it haha.
Snarfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 22:13   Link #16
ScumbagYoshii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfs View Post
I'll just weigh in here a little. Firstly Ill talk about what my starter anime were and then what I currently use as a starter for others. For me, DBZ and maybe even tenchi was the very beginning. However, the stuff that really got me into anime are as follows: Kenshin, Yuyu hakusho, gundam, cowboy bebop, flcl. I blame adult swim for really getting me into anime.

However, if you're trying to get someone TOTALLY unexposed into anime, have them watch Deathnote. In my opinion, Deathnote is the "least anime" anime out there. I'm telling you, if they did an American version of a movie of Deathnote (providing they don't totally mess it up, looking at you DB Evolution), it would do really well. If you're trying to get someone who remembers growing up watching DBZ, have them watch Yuyu Hakusho since it's just amazing. Anyone else, unfortunately I would say have them watch FMA. I prefer the original series because I really liked the movie...I just preferred the original. Those are my thoughts.
You think Death Note of all anime is the "least anime" anime? o_O First of all, what does that mean? Are you talking about an anime where it doesn't really feel like an anime? If that's the case, I disagree. Death Note feels like an anime, looks like an anime, and follows a lot of tropes that have defined various anime.

So along those lines, you think it's less anime than...Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Tatami Galaxy, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, Baccano, Paprika, Planetes, Kino no Tabi, Colorful, and Princess Tutu, Redline, and Monster?

For the record, I don't think all of the above are suitable entry level anime. I am merely contesting the notion that Death Note is the "least anime" anime out there. It's a great gateway show to get people interested, but it's an anime through and through.
ScumbagYoshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 23:26   Link #17
all_flying

Entry-level is an anime which has very low power-level but a lot of casuals seems to like it (full-stop).
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 10:49   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

More importantly...why should a definition in a shitty youtube post even interest you?

As it's quite clear from the many answers here and the way the term is used, the definition is so nebulous as to be a pointless thing used mainly by others to flaunt their non-existent superiority
Old 2014-04-19, 15:42   Link #19
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchips18 View Post
Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted on this forum, but I have a question. I was reading comments on a youtube video about a week ago. In the comments section one person made a Naruto reference, only to be reprimanded by another commentor. The reply said something along the lines of "Eww...get your entry-level anime out of here."

This was the first time that I've ever really heard that term used before. At first, I thought it meant main-stream, but after doing research, I found a few entry-level anime that I had never ever seen before. So, what would you guys consider an entry-level anime?

Thanks.
I haven't heard the phrase "entry-level anime" before sounds like something that some sad little weebo would say trying to puff themselves up.
Take it from a guy who's been a fan quite along while watch what you like as far as series dub/sub don't pay any heed to the elitist those that do don't last.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 20:22   Link #20
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
I haven't heard the phrase "entry-level anime" before sounds like something that some sad little weebo would say trying to puff themselves up.
The phrase "entry-level anime" is used by people who care what newcomers to anime are more likely to enjoy. They can use their knowledge to give informed recommendations to others.

And what's up with the "sad little weebo"? Please try to keep pointlessly inflammatory generalizations out of this thread.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Space Dandy
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote