AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2014-04-19, 12:42   Link #1
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Anime with Cloning and Genetic Engineering as a main focus.

I was pretty dissapointed that Coppelion didn't end up to be as enjoyable for me as I hoped it would, but the manga's good though. However, the main focuses of the show still intrigued me a lot. Does anyone know a sci-fi anime dealing with clones and genetic engineering? Kurokami: Black God somewhat fits the bill since it deals with dopplegangers, but I'm waiting on Sentai to release that soon. Also, I'm interested even more if the main character happens to be a clone too.

EDIT!!!: anything focused on genetic mutations counts too.

Last edited by Student no.0; 2014-07-06 at 22:24.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 13:48   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well... there is the obvious: A Certain Scientific Railgun S and some arcs of A Certain Magical Index

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 14:17   Link #3
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

^ Dang I forgot that one. Saw Index, but been meaning to see how the Sister's Arc was handled in Railgun S. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 2014-04-19, 18:03   Link #4
kitten320

Evangelion had a clone thing.
Old 2014-04-19, 18:38   Link #5
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny deal with genetic engineering and a bit of cloning, but it depends on whether you like the genre.

There's also Guilty Crown. Again, your mileage may vary.
Old 2014-04-19, 18:43   Link #6
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Evangelion had a clone thing.
Saw it. Just gotta see the Rebuild films when I get the chance. I guess it sorta counts when you take into consideration how the Evas (and a certain someone) were created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny deal with genetic engineering and a bit of cloning, but it depends on whether you like the genre.

There's also Guilty Crown and Madlax. Again, your mileage may vary.
Saw Guilty Crown but not Madlax or Gundam. Will look into them sometime.

Thanks! If anyone else has any other recommendation, I'm still all ears!
Old 2014-04-19, 21:18   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The initial story in Mnemosyne concerns clones, but I'll warn you this is a pretty gory show with scenes of torture. There's also quite a bit of sexuality including lesbianism. Mnemosyne rather fell off a cliff for me in the last couple of episodes, but the initial plot fits your request. It's licensed by Funimation.

Genetic engineering plays a role in Nijuu Mensou no Musume, a mystery-adventure story about a young heiress who is kidnapped by a master thief. Most of the material about genetic engineering is in the latter half of the series.

In Real Drive, there are characters with prosthetic bodies, rather like the Major in Shirow Masamune's more famous work, Ghost in the Shell.

There are clones in Ergo Proxy as well, but I'll leave it to you to figure out who they are.
Old 2014-04-19, 22:38   Link #8
DevilHighDxD
I <3 u Lucina/dancer girl

suisei no gargantia, I won't say much because it a spoiler if I did but it definitely has what you want with a sick twist...
Old 2014-04-20, 00:45   Link #9
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
suisei no gargantia, I won't say much because it a spoiler if I did but it definitely has what you want with a sick twist...
Was considering this one earlier, but ya I think it should work here, seconded.
Old 2014-04-20, 04:02   Link #10
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

The movie The Sky Crawlers discusses these topics. I will not elaborate for fear of spoiling the contents. The movie is based on a novel series by Mori Hiroshi and plays out more on the philosophical/personal than the actiony side - an affinity for a slowly progressing narration is definitely advantageous . Directed by Oshii Mamoru. I suggest staying away from the unbelievably spoilerific trailer...

Not exactly cloning but rather eugenics lead to the developments in Terra e (Toward the Terra) which is a grand-scale space opera spanning lots of years and discussing themes like totalitarianism, human nature, mutants, ethics and relations between different races. Besides the TV series (24 episodes) there is also a movie version from 1980 that has been newly released on Blu-ray last year.

Another series where cloning and genetic engineering play a role is Jyu-Oh-Sei (Planet of the Beast King). I rarely see a recommendation for it - maybe because the series is so short (only 11 episodes) and therefore tends to rush through some parts of the narration, sometimes leaving developments only marginally explored. So your mileage may vary. After all there is always the manga to read up on the details.
Old 2014-04-20, 04:59   Link #11
Tenzen12

Majestic prince - pretty maojor part of premise

Sidonai no Kishi - Should be enough to say half of class has exastly same face, other are genderless and everyone life out of photsynthesis (-ongoing-)

Birdy the mighty decode - hinted in first season, big part of premise in second. Titular protagonist is result of genetic manipulation.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 21:59   Link #12
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Alrighty~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The initial story in Mnemosyne concerns clones, but I'll warn you this is a pretty gory show with scenes of torture. There's also quite a bit of sexuality including lesbianism. Mnemosyne rather fell off a cliff for me in the last couple of episodes, but the initial plot fits your request. It's licensed by Funimation.
I've watched a review on this once. But yeah, doesn't seem fit my preferences.

Quote:
Genetic engineering plays a role in Nijuu Mensou no Musume, a mystery-adventure story about a young heiress who is kidnapped by a master thief. Most of the material about genetic engineering is in the latter half of the series.
Now this seems right up my alley. Sucks this seems to be another one of those unlicensed gems though.
Quote:
In Real Drive, there are characters with prosthetic bodies, rather like the Major in Shirow Masamune's more famous work, Ghost in the Shell.
I checked the summary and was greatly intruiged by it. Sad no one's picked this up for a US release yet too.
Quote:
There are clones in Ergo Proxy as well, but I'll leave it to you to figure out who they are.
Might want to check this out soon. Have heard it mentioned plenty of times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Already seen it. Was pretty enjoyable but I wasn't a fan of how it ended tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moresca View Post
The movie The Sky Crawlers discusses these topics. I will not elaborate for fear of spoiling the contents. The movie is based on a novel series by Mori Hiroshi and plays out more on the philosophical/personal than the actiony side - an affinity for a slowly progressing narration is definitely advantageous . Directed by Oshii Mamoru. I suggest staying away from the unbelievably spoilerific trailer...

Not exactly cloning but rather eugenics lead to the developments in Terra e (Toward the Terra) which is a grand-scale space opera spanning lots of years and discussing themes like totalitarianism, human nature, mutants, ethics and relations between different races. Besides the TV series (24 episodes) there is also a movie version from 1980 that has been newly released on Blu-ray last year.

Another series where cloning and genetic engineering play a role is Jyu-Oh-Sei (Planet of the Beast King). I rarely see a recommendation for it - maybe because the series is so short (only 11 episodes) and therefore tends to rush through some parts of the narration, sometimes leaving developments only marginally explored. So your mileage may vary. After all there is always the manga to read up on the details.
Wow, these look like they could potentially great classics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Majestic prince - pretty maojor part of premise

Sidonai no Kishi - Should be enough to say half of class has exastly same face, other are genderless and everyone life out of photsynthesis (-ongoing-)

Birdy the mighty decode - hinted in first season, big part of premise in second. Titular protagonist is result of genetic manipulation.
Saw Majestic Prince and really liked it. Had my eye on Sidonia and Birdy for quite sometime now.

Thanks! Can't wait to check these out!
Old 2014-04-20, 22:33   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student no.0 View Post
Sucks this seems to be another one of those unlicensed gems though.
I could list a dozen such unlicensed gems starting with Dennou Coil. Still there's always hope. Cinedigm is releasing 2007's remarkable Mononoke by Nakamura Kenji on DVD this summer. Why they picked it up, I have no idea except that it has a small intense following among people like me, and the original sold well in Japan when it was released seven years ago. I only wish they were releasing the BD version, but it might have something to do with fears of reverse importation. The JP Blu-ray costs about $250; the R1 DVD will sell for less than $20.

I never expected Oh! Edo Rocket to get an R1 release either. I always thought it was "too Japanese" for a Western audience. Then Funimation proved me wrong. Kurenai was another show I never expected to see licensed here, either. Then one day Sentai announced they were releasing it.

I don't see Nijuu Mensou following the same path, but you never know. I never understood why Fuji calls this show "Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief" in English rather than the perfectly reasonable literal translation "Daughter of Twenty Faces." Perhaps they hoped for an R1 license and gave it a more adventuresome English title. Of course, it's also a highly misleading title since Chizuko, while an heiress, is not Twenty Faces's heir or even related by blood or marriage. While she's not his "daughter" either, their relationship has a father/daughter feeling.

The fact that companies like Sentai, and even recently Funimation, have begun to release shows without English dubbing may make it easier for these gems to appear in R1. Mononoke is subtitled, as is Kurenai and other more obscure series like Ikoku Meiro no Croisee.

I suspect Production I.G thought Real Drive might cross the Pacific given Shirow's reputation, but it was not widely viewed even by people here on AS. Fansubs were few and far between. RD certainly has that "glossy" look that I've come to associate with I.G's work. Suisei no Gargantia has that same sheen as well. Frankly, of the two shows Shirow and I.G developed together at the time, I prefer Ghost Hound, but it's not pertinent to your request.

Oh, and I suggest you follow along in the discussion here if you watch Ergo Proxy. That's a very complex, sometimes confusing, and even a bit pretentious story. When I rewatched the series last year, I found the comments here very helpful.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-04-20 at 23:07.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 10:39   Link #14
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Hmm, while it hasn't gone into details about the who genetic engineering procedure or what exactly goes on at the lab, the ongoing Gokukoku no Brynhildr might fit the bill. Be warned though, its by the same author as Elfen Lied, so expect lots of blood and gore.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-24, 12:16   Link #15
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Hmm, while it hasn't gone into details about the who genetic engineering procedure or what exactly goes on at the lab, the ongoing Gokukoku no Brynhildr might fit the bill. Be warned though, its by the same author as Elfen Lied, so expect lots of blood and gore.
I'm already seeing this too. Thanks anyway.
Old 2014-07-06, 22:23   Link #16
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Just bumping this thread to add, anything focused on genetic mutations counts too. The only thing that came to mind that I've ever seen was Black Bullet's Cursed Children and Gastrea.
Old 2014-07-07, 07:06   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars deals with genetic engineering, although it's mostly in the background, it does set the stage for the main conflict. The Ahb are genetically engineered, and are essentially establishing themselves as the master race that controls deep space flight. The three other nations are straight human and are resisting the Ahb domination. Did I mention that our heroes are Ahb?

The novels delve into it a little more than the anime.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2014-07-07, 16:05   Link #18
Dawnstorm

The very act of recommending this series might be a spoiler:

Spoiler for +genetic engineering, +mutation, -cloning:
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 17:34   Link #19
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Crest of the Stars deals with genetic engineering, although it's mostly in the background, it does set the stage for the main conflict. The Ahb are genetically engineered, and are essentially establishing themselves as the master race that controls deep space flight. The three other nations are straight human and are resisting the Ahb domination. Did I mention that our heroes are Ahb?

The novels delve into it a little more than the anime.
Thanks. How many novels are there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
The very act of recommending this series might be a spoiler:

Spoiler for +genetic engineering, +mutation, -cloning:
Already on my "To watch list". Thanks anyway!
Old 2014-07-08, 21:27   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Crest of the Stars is covered in 3 novels. This is followed by the Banner of the Stars series, but I have not yet found those translated.