AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-10, 12:00   Link #81
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
"First he was here...and then he was there" - that is a very common thing that anime does to show a character's speed. What you have to realize is that they didn't exactly move from point A to point B in under X seconds. That speed is just a realization that is pretty much: when an attack comes, the fast person is able to see it, dodge, and place himself somewhere where the enemy is completely open to attack. Samurai did it all the time as they would roll, turn, and twist or whatever around their opponent. If this "disappear" speed was a true speed of the character, then they could definitely make chase extremely fast. No one would be able to run away from some of the fastest people like Gai, Lee, and Kakashi. What's my backup for acknoledging that this "dissappear" speed is only this kind of realization? Look at times in any fighting anime, where character A is obviously weaker and slower than character B. Character A realizes this and runs away from the battle. Sure there is a "battle" range where B might be able to prevent A from running, but once A leaves that range, then B cannot catch up even if he is considered to be 5 times faster. Another argument in this case is Gaara. We have seen him on a few occassions using some sort of teleportation method through his sand - in one instant he is here, and another somewhere else. This isn't something that is speed that will allow Gaara to teleport from point A, to point B that is 2 miles away. There are clear limitations to the dissappear speed. That was just a point of clarification that doesn't go against realdeal just yet.

realdeal - have you ever watched Kenshin? This is not a flame or insult, but you argued that because certain characters in Naruto "disappear," and appear behind someone, that this is something Kenshin cannot keep up with. If you have watched all of the Kenshin series (or much of it at all), you would know that numberous times, Kenshin has done the exact same thing. Especially in the early episodes, where you see Kenshin taking out 40 guys before any of them could even make a move on him. At the same time, when dealing with someone like Soujiro, we see that Kenshin is "grounded" while Soujiro is doing the dissappearing. All that is showing is that Soujiro is faster than Kenshin - or else you would wonder "why isn't Kenshin disappearing too!!!" Disappearing is a relative thing between two characters where the speed difference is something that should matter - and you cannot compare them in these two anime. If anything, all you can say is that "they both disappear, and they are both equally as fast." Otherwise, you would need a direct comparison if a character in Kenshin fighting against a character in the Naruto world; or a statement in either anime saying that a character from the other anime is faster than them. We all know that no such thing has happened, and never will happen.

I was thinking about making a thread about this, but it isn't something that is too relevant to Naruto: As anime fans in the fighting genre, you shouldn't be too caught up in what the animators show you. Most of them that try to explain the mechanics of their world and are semi-realistic, show unrealistic things to exaggerate or animate some truth - that is what I was calling 'realizations' before. Another example would be Kenshin's "Ryu Tsui Sen" technique. It's a move where Kenshin jumps over the enemies head and pretty much gives a direct blow on the head or shoulder of the opponent. Kenshin was not considered a high "jumper" by any standards in the anime, but during his spar with his master Hiko Seijuro - he jumped probably over 5 stories(scaled hieght) when they both did this move. In the case of this move, the height of Kenshin's jump was used to show the power he was putting into it. In reality, Kenshin is a small and short person who probably couldn't jump higher 36 inches (vertical). Another such realization comes when Kenshin shows fights on a collasal level. Between Kenshin and Shishio, the gravity of this fight and the level of these two swordsmen was extremely high. They both had great convictions and strength during their battle. In real life, one probably wouldn't see it if they were to fight. Their swords would clash and you would see pretty good technique, but nothing to make you go "wow." The animators chose to show the gravity of this battle by furious winds raging, the ground shaking upon impact of their two swords, and their Ki's - Kenshin's warrior-ki disturbed the leaves and caused wind, as Shishio's made the fires blaze hotter. Neither of these two things would happen in a real life, but that is what they were trying to show through their animation and depiction. My example shows in a few battles in Naruto too - the beginning of Naruto vs Neji, and the hokage fight. While it's nice to think that Naruto and Neji have the ability to make such winds, that is only Temari's ability. The animators were showing something completely different during that fight.

Point number two[still to realdeal] - how could Kenshin not beat 1000 13-year-old boys? Err...he moves faster than all of them, knows what all of them are going to try to do, evades all of them, and takes them out one by one - that is one way. Another could be the fact that all 1000 of them cannot be right next to him at the same moment, so he only has to deal with a group of at most 10 at a time that are near him anyways. Unless your opinion of Kenshin is pretty low, it should be obvious that 10 Naruto clones wouldn't touch him. Of course you would argue against both of those arguments, but they are undeniably ways of imagining Kenshin winning the fight. At the same time, I could easily imagine ways for Naruto to win the same fight. The problem is, the two worlds don't have a meter to compare characters between then fairly.

I hope I'm not completely coming off as someone who think's Kenshin (or characters in his anime) would completely own Naruto characters. The problem I see is that there are so many gimmicks in Naruto that make fans of it (all members here) so prone to using their imaginations, that pitting anything against Naruto characters, would result in the other side being "worse." I just want to "settle the bias" and have it known that you can't compare two different anime characters in the way that realdeal is going about it. It really shouldn't be compared at all because both entities are imagined, and both worlds have different limitations on the beings that exist in them.

I read the first part..not read it all, but you asked if watched kenshin..ermmm...loook at my signature.. And no what your saying is irelevant, the anime clearly show sasuke looking at him, gai was simply too fast his eye could not follow him, thats what disapearing speed in animes are like. Its simmilar to suijiro situation. And no, kenshin has never been on the other side of the room, watch him and suddenly his behind them..his speed is not that great. His portrayed slightly more human like. If you recall that gattling gun scene, 4 peeps died there..kenshin needed help for diversion because he obviously was not fast enuff. That right there is a true measure of his speed. God-like is an expression btw, they dont necesarily mean his speed is god-like.

2ndly, i dunno why ppl like you get upset or try so hard to back up kenshin superiority over other characters. Im a huge kenshin fan, infact its my favourite anime of all time, however I cant dispute the fact that naruto characters are made stronger than kenshin, just like dbz characters are made stronger than naruto. I seriously doubt kenshin can beat 1000naruto. You say 13yr old boy..well hes no ordinary 13yr old boy, i mean yahiko maybe but naruto jumps from trees to trees, do mad spinning crap in the air, and when kyubified, fast. No to mention this guy is probably alot stronger than kenshin too..breaking ground just by running..and be able to dig a hole in the ground and still do an uppercut out through the ground. Kenshin cant even do that, lol. Maybe kenshin is twice faster than he is when hes kyubi..but 1000 coming after him? c'mon, like i said have 100 jump on top of him like in mizuchi and zabuza case and he wont be able to get up, lol.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 14:51   Link #82
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
realdeal:
I strongly suggest you actually read and understand my posts before you reply. Everything you said was already clarified, addressed, or statements were made contrary to exactly what you said.

If you don't have time to read my posts enough to give a decent reply, then don't reply at all - at least not to me.
EbonySeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 15:20   Link #83
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
realdeal:
I strongly suggest you actually read and understand my posts before you reply. Everything you said was already clarified, addressed, or statements were made contrary to exactly what you said.

If you don't have time to read my posts enough to give a decent reply, then don't reply at all - at least not to me.
ermm your the one who didnt read my post. have a read at it again and u'll see we agree on none and you clarify none.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 15:23   Link #84
Rhythmic
I <3 Hina-chan!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal
ermm your the one who didnt read my post. have a read at it again and u'll see we agree on none and you clarify none.

funny, cuase you give him the same arguements he has already given, regiven and reclarified in this thread
Rhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 16:02   Link #85
Shadamehr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
The big difference I'm trying to point out is in how to "identify" the strength of the characters in both series. It's easy to be drawn into how Naruto shows battle scenes, with concrete breaking, guys disappearing in front of your eyes, the level of the jutsus being used, and whatnot, but Kenshin isn't all about the flashy scenes. To compare character's between the anime fairly, one should consider how they are measured up relatively in each other's worlds.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point, which seems to be a basis for most of your argument. Assuming we are going to compare characters across different animes and think we can come to a fair conclusion, comparing relative string within their own worlds is definitely not the right way to go about it. It cannot be denied that some anime worlds are simply more powerful than other anime worlds. Krillin is pretty low on the power-scale of DBZ, but I'm sure nobody doubts he'd totally destroy Hiko Seijuro in a fight.

If you want to go comparing characters from different animes, you must first establish the power-difference between their worlds. This seems difficult, but sometimes you get concrete qualifications of world-power. For example, say you want to compare the speed class from anime A, which involves rival high school students fighting in the streets, and the speed class from anime B which has aliens flying across space and battling it out from planet to planet. Some dude from anime A, who is generally acknowledged to be pretty fast, proudly proclaims "I can dash from here to the other school (some miles away) in under 5 seconds!" Now, some dude from anime B, who is also generally acknowledged to be pretty fast, states "I can fly around the world 5 times in a minute!" I think we all know which anime deals with faster characters.

Now, I never said this would be easy, and for cases like RK world vs Naruto world, it may be very difficult, since these worlds are closer in power than the ones in my example. However, if you break it down and look for solid instances, I think you'll come to the conclusion that the Naruto world is simply on a higher power level than the RK world.

Strength: Sanosuke, a character of moderate-to-upper level physical strength in the RK world eventually learns to grind stones to dust with his punches, rather than simply breaking them. Sasuke, a lowly rookie who isn't even known for physical strength amongst the genin, grinds a stone to dust the first time he meets the Sand nin trio. I'll tell you right now grinding a stone to dust in your fist is harder than punching one into dust. Sanosuke also punches the ground on a few occasions and makes a small crater. Rock Lee punches the ground hard enough to stick his arm through it like nothing and pull up a gigantic tree root to defend against the sound nins.

Speed: Kenshin is one of the fastest characters in his own world, yet his speed is nothing compared to the bullets of a Gatling gun. Gaara's sandshield is fast enough to defend things which have bullet-like speed, but cannot stop Rock Lee's taijutsu (once again, Rock Lee is only a genin). Haku is implied during his jutsu to be moving at the speed of the reflections (ie the speed of light) and yet Sasuke with a sharingan can still react to this speed, even though he cannot match it himself.

Magic: Naruto characters can generate fire, water, lightning, etc. from nothing and create illusions, etc. etc. RK 'magic' is like the fire bag used by the big ninja (I forget his name), and 'illusions' are like the stripes on the arms of the other ninja. Really, there's no contest in this category.

Durability: Shishio starts to have problems when his blood reaches boiling point (100 degrees celsius) and eventually burns himself up. Many high-level Naruto characters (and some not even so high) have proudly proclaimed 'fire jutsu of that level has no effect on me'. I'm fairly certain that fire jutsu of ANY level is much hotter than what Shishio was dealing with.

So yeah, at best, the top Kenshin characters would have trouble with the genin of Naruto, let alone the older ninjas.
Shadamehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 16:15   Link #86
Naruto714
Kinjutsu Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow....
Send a message via AIM to Naruto714 Send a message via MSN to Naruto714 Send a message via Yahoo to Naruto714
Okay lets look at the facts I like Kenshin as much as the next guy but even a gennin could kick his butt. I mean first lets look at Rock Lee, Sasuske, Neji, Naruto, and Gaara. Sasuske and Neji could uses there blood line limit to see how fast he is going and using their shurikens and Ninjutsus to kill him, Neji can kill him with his almost impenatrable 360 degree defense and Sasuske could just copy every move he made. Rock Lee could just open one of his gates and crush him. Gaara could block every attack with his sand, use it to attack [desert coffin] and if all else fails go into his sand Badger and use one of those attacks. Naruto could just make millions of himself and they could all charge him with
Spoiler:
and demollish him, or he could summon big frog dude to eat him. And if none of that works he'd get pissed and use Kyuubi like he did against Haku and just overwhealm him. I mean he caught up with a guy moving the speed of light.

Its not even fair to compair Kenshin to Itachi, Kakashi, Rock Lee, Oro, Perverted Sensai, ect....
Naruto714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 17:05   Link #87
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
Shadamehr: You missed my point a bit. I didn't necessarily mean to say that Naruto's world and Kenshin's world are equal in power but they show it differently. It is obvious that some involve much higher scales in terms of power than others. What I was saying is that, to compare characters in one to others fairly, it is quite easy to say a character from a more powerful world, would win over the one in a weaker one. But what kind of discussion is that? Who cares to "discuss" the fact that a gundam would easily beat a measily fly? I'm trying to say that in order to discuss the powerlevels of the characters in an "interesting and fair" manner, you should scale the worlds of each anime to put them on par with each other.

What probably misled you to think that I was trying to say Kenshin's world has a power level close enough to Naruto's was my explanation of how to assess the power trying to be shown in an anime. It's usually obvious in cases where there is something like visible chakra, nen, or chi, but Kenshin shows none of that and doesn't step to that level of unrealism to show power in the characters.

If you don't do such a thing you get a huge number of fanboys[notably a few who have posted recently] that have this ego complex where they enjoy talking about what makes their "interest" superior to another - when it definitely is. As much as I like Superman over Batman, I don't find myself feeling anymore pride in discussing why Superman is the stronger of the two physically. There is no contest there.

Otherwise, your latter arguments are very true. They establish valid links in order to compare the power of both worlds in the relevant animes. There are a few things I would bring up to you for discussion purposes,(not necessarily a strict disagreement) but I am short on time now. Maybe when I'm done with some current work I can write you a phat reply to engage in a real discussion.

realdeal - Clarified means the point is something I already talked about into a degree of depth higher than previously stated. Addressed means the issue was already brought up, and I gave my side of the argument (not that I agree with you). Take that into account, read the long post you quoted that even you admitted not reading all of, and understand what was being said there. You don't have to agree with me on anything, but if you even get as far as understanding that post, you will see why your initial reply to me was extremely ignorant to everything I said even though you quoted me.

In the interest of you not being banned, try using correct spelling and grammar. This forum does have in effect, a rule that says you can get banned for bad cases of spelling and gammar. You are probably the biggest offender of this rule.
EbonySeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 17:47   Link #88
Ero-Sennin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Even Itachi would piss his pants against the sexy Hiko Seijuro.
Ero-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 19:20   Link #89
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
In the interest of you not being banned, try using correct spelling and grammar. This forum does have in effect, a rule that says you can get banned for bad cases of spelling and gammar. You are probably the biggest offender of this rule.
ermmm lol where du come up with that? First off not everyone speaks english..this is a website where ppl around the world can visit so I dont see why that should be an issue in the first place. 2ndly my english is fine. BB GCSE thank you very much. 3rdly, if you think these are spelling mistakes think again. "du" = did you etc, this is not an english essay, its a forum. Why should I spend 30min writing posts when I can finish it in 5?
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 19:33   Link #90
Naruto714
Kinjutsu Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow....
Send a message via AIM to Naruto714 Send a message via MSN to Naruto714 Send a message via Yahoo to Naruto714
Please stop with the bickering you both made your points so now end it, stop spamming and if you want to continue the argueing do it off the site

Now back on topic please read what was said before you post. Anyway lets take the bone guy I mean he too can beat Kenshin withhis abilities we don't have to look past Gennin to beat him.

Kakashi and others would just be overkill
Naruto714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 21:10   Link #91
Joe Dalton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
There is a simple answer here... kenshin is so cool that all the characters would just stare while he kills them...
so kenshin would win since he coolnis would stun the oponent
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 01:12   Link #92
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal
ermmm lol where du come up with that? First off not everyone speaks english..this is a website where ppl around the world can visit so I dont see why that should be an issue in the first place. 2ndly my english is fine. BB GCSE thank you very much. 3rdly, if you think these are spelling mistakes think again. "du" = did you etc, this is not an english essay, its a forum. Why should I spend 30min writing posts when I can finish it in 5?
Replied to in PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto714
Please stop with the bickering you both made your points so now end it, stop spamming and if you want to continue the argueing do it off the site
When I need a parent, I'll call home. It's nice that you are at least making an effort to make this a better place, but do recognize the difference between bickering and constructive arguing. Unless you read all of what we said in full, you might not want to get involved. The rest replied to in PM.
EbonySeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 13:41   Link #93
Shadamehr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
Shadamehr: You missed my point a bit. I didn't necessarily mean to say that Naruto's world and Kenshin's world are equal in power but they show it differently. It is obvious that some involve much higher scales in terms of power than others. What I was saying is that, to compare characters in one to others fairly, it is quite easy to say a character from a more powerful world, would win over the one in a weaker one. But what kind of discussion is that? Who cares to "discuss" the fact that a gundam would easily beat a measily fly? I'm trying to say that in order to discuss the powerlevels of the characters in an "interesting and fair" manner, you should scale the worlds of each anime to put them on par with each other.
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. That's certainly agreeable to me.
Shadamehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 15:42   Link #94
Naruto714
Kinjutsu Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow....
Send a message via AIM to Naruto714 Send a message via MSN to Naruto714 Send a message via Yahoo to Naruto714
EbonySeraphim: Answered PM, you were making points that were arguable it was realdude that I was talking about

Also

Joe Dalton: That was dumb come on and make a valid reason not "because kenshin is cool"

Be like since Kenshin faught....and won he can certianly......

Anyway do those who think Kenshin would win think he would win against all the nijas [not at once] or just some of them because I would say he can certainly beat Sakura its just people like Neji that I mention b4 I have a hard time believing
Naruto714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 16:19   Link #95
Liss-sama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden, Uppsala
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Liss-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Wolf-Of-Mibu
Hello again.

I have a wierd question. Does the Naruto style Ninjistu where they are summoning Giant creatures and blasting powers everywhere make them untouchable by anyone except a fellow Ninja?

Naruto is now my second favourite anime (After Rurouni Kenshin ofcourse). The difference between the two anime in terms of the battles is quite huge. Rurouni Kenshin keeps the action on a non-collosal level. However the reason i made this thread is because im curious if you think a good swordsman would easily hand a naruto world ninja their ass.

Im tip toeing around the corny XXXX VS XXXX!!! type thread becae those quickly kill a forum, but ultimately it comes down to that.

Take Kenshin for example. Asume he is back to his Battousai days and he has no problems lopping of kakashi's head.

Now we can safely assume that the best swords men (kenshin , shishio, hiko, soujiro etc etc) dont fall for cheap gimicks like duplicates or illusuions. Remember Kenshin defeated Aoshi who was himself a prodijy ninja even when he did that crazy illusion technique of his.

Anyway, what it comes down to is one thing .... swords dont allow you get up again. Rock lee had crazy mad speed and was able to penetrate gaara's defence. When Kiba fought naruto he was able to get sooo many hits on the basis of how fast he was moving alone.

Skills like Byakuggen and Sharingan become useless because the opponenent is using neither Chakra nor are they forming seals you can copy.

Now swordmen like Kenshin, Soujiro and Hiko all have godlike (dissapear type) speed. If one second kakashi and Battousai are staring each other down ready to fight, kakashi will not have time to form any seals. I doubt hell even be able to see Battousai attack before his head goes flying off. The affair would be over in an instant if Kenshin decided to attack first and use his succession technique. The super-godlike speed + the ferocity of the attack = kakashi joins Obito.

Hopefully ive managed to mould this thread so that its not the gay XXX VS XXX!! type garbage, so please feel free to voice your opinion.


hmm i would say that a normal human could beat a ninja because RockLee is almost NOT a ninja because he has no talent in using his chakra what so ever, but he worked hard and became really strong and fast, and ofcorse he kicked ass!!
Liss-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 18:12   Link #96
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto714
EbonySeraphim: Answered PM, you were making points that were arguable it was realdude that I was talking about
ermmm..the guy invents rules to insult me, I argue back yet it was all me? Get your facts straight.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 18:27   Link #97
Naruto714
Kinjutsu Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow....
Send a message via AIM to Naruto714 Send a message via MSN to Naruto714 Send a message via Yahoo to Naruto714
My facts are straight I don't want tis to be a pissing contest I say instead of argueing with the dude argue your facts like he did, don't just say uhh your wrong or w/e so next time get your facts straight b/c this is turning out to be a n00b'ish fight.
Naruto714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 18:34   Link #98
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto714
My facts are straight I don't want tis to be a pissing contest I say instead of argueing with the dude argue your facts like he did, don't just say uhh your wrong or w/e so next time get your facts straight b/c this is turning out to be a n00b'ish fight.
What facts? He did not argue facts. If you look above you'll see it started out as a decent argument, then he turned it into a "how good is your grammar argument". I dont need spelling, dictionary, grammar lessons, Ive had 12 years of that through schooling and did pretty well. I also dont apreciate being told how to write, especially when someone is gonna invent rules to back up their demand. If a mod has a problem with it then he can come here and confirm it.

Edit: I see the rule, it is under code of conduct and not under forum rules which is why it confused me. This is also the first forum Ive ever been to with spelling/grammar rules. I find this quite hillarious actually since naruto is a kids programme, I been to much more mature sites and none seem to have held these rule.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 19:14   Link #99
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal
What facts? He did not argue facts. If you look above you'll see it started out as a decent argument, then he turned it into a "how good is your grammar argument".
For reference, the word "facts" isn't a good of a term to use, "arguments" is probably what we're looking for. This post will hopefully jog your memory a bit on what my arguments were:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
"First he was here...and then he was there" - that is a very common thing that anime does to show a character's speed. What you have to realize is that they didn't exactly move from point A to point B in under X seconds. That speed is just a realization that is pretty much: when an attack comes, the fast person is able to see it, dodge, and place himself somewhere where the enemy is completely open to attack. Samurai did it all the time as they would roll, turn, and twist or whatever around their opponent. If this "disappear" speed was a true speed of the character, then they could definitely make chase extremely fast. No one would be able to run away from some of the fastest people like Gai, Lee, and Kakashi. What's my backup for acknoledging that this "dissappear" speed is only this kind of realization? Look at times in any fighting anime, where character A is obviously weaker and slower than character B. Character A realizes this and runs away from the battle. Sure there is a "battle" range where B might be able to prevent A from running, but once A leaves that range, then B cannot catch up even if he is considered to be 5 times faster. Another argument in this case is Gaara. We have seen him on a few occassions using some sort of teleportation method through his sand - in one instant he is here, and another somewhere else. This isn't something that is speed that will allow Gaara to teleport from point A, to point B that is 2 miles away. There are clear limitations to the dissappear speed. That was just a point of clarification that doesn't go against realdeal just yet.

realdeal - have you ever watched Kenshin? This is not a flame or insult, but you argued that because certain characters in Naruto "disappear," and appear behind someone, that this is something Kenshin cannot keep up with. If you have watched all of the Kenshin series (or much of it at all), you would know that numberous times, Kenshin has done the exact same thing. Especially in the early episodes, where you see Kenshin taking out 40 guys before any of them could even make a move on him. At the same time, when dealing with someone like Soujiro, we see that Kenshin is "grounded" while Soujiro is doing the dissappearing. All that is showing is that Soujiro is faster than Kenshin - or else you would wonder "why isn't Kenshin disappearing too!!!" Disappearing is a relative thing between two characters where the speed difference is something that should matter - and you cannot compare them in these two anime. If anything, all you can say is that "they both disappear, and they are both equally as fast." Otherwise, you would need a direct comparison if a character in Kenshin fighting against a character in the Naruto world; or a statement in either anime saying that a character from the other anime is faster than them. We all know that no such thing has happened, and never will happen.

I was thinking about making a thread about this, but it isn't something that is too relevant to Naruto: As anime fans in the fighting genre, you shouldn't be too caught up in what the animators show you. Most of them that try to explain the mechanics of their world and are semi-realistic, show unrealistic things to exaggerate or animate some truth - that is what I was calling 'realizations' before. Another example would be Kenshin's "Ryu Tsui Sen" technique. It's a move where Kenshin jumps over the enemies head and pretty much gives a direct blow on the head or shoulder of the opponent. Kenshin was not considered a high "jumper" by any standards in the anime, but during his spar with his master Hiko Seijuro - he jumped probably over 5 stories(scaled hieght) when they both did this move. In the case of this move, the height of Kenshin's jump was used to show the power he was putting into it. In reality, Kenshin is a small and short person who probably couldn't jump higher 36 inches (vertical). Another such realization comes when Kenshin shows fights on a collasal level. Between Kenshin and Shishio, the gravity of this fight and the level of these two swordsmen was extremely high. They both had great convictions and strength during their battle. In real life, one probably wouldn't see it if they were to fight. Their swords would clash and you would see pretty good technique, but nothing to make you go "wow." The animators chose to show the gravity of this battle by furious winds raging, the ground shaking upon impact of their two swords, and their Ki's - Kenshin's warrior-ki disturbed the leaves and caused wind, as Shishio's made the fires blaze hotter. Neither of these two things would happen in a real life, but that is what they were trying to show through their animation and depiction. My example shows in a few battles in Naruto too - the beginning of Naruto vs Neji, and the hokage fight. While it's nice to think that Naruto and Neji have the ability to make such winds, that is only Temari's ability. The animators were showing something completely different during that fight.

Point number two[still to realdeal] - how could Kenshin not beat 1000 13-year-old boys? Err...he moves faster than all of them, knows what all of them are going to try to do, evades all of them, and takes them out one by one - that is one way. Another could be the fact that all 1000 of them cannot be right next to him at the same moment, so he only has to deal with a group of at most 10 at a time that are near him anyways. Unless your opinion of Kenshin is pretty low, it should be obvious that 10 Naruto clones wouldn't touch him. Of course you would argue against both of those arguments, but they are undeniably ways of imagining Kenshin winning the fight. At the same time, I could easily imagine ways for Naruto to win the same fight. The problem is, the two worlds don't have a meter to compare characters between then fairly.

I hope I'm not completely coming off as someone who think's Kenshin (or characters in his anime) would completely own Naruto characters. The problem I see is that there are so many gimmicks in Naruto that make fans of it (all members here) so prone to using their imaginations, that pitting anything against Naruto characters, would result in the other side being "worse." I just want to "settle the bias" and have it known that you can't compare two different anime characters in the way that realdeal is going about it. It really shouldn't be compared at all because both entities are imagined, and both worlds have different limitations on the beings that exist in them.
This time either read and understand it, or ignore it. If you ignore it, then don't even bother replying to it. If you choose to reply to it, I hope you read it in full because I probably talked about whatever point you will bring up later in the post, or in an earlier post in this thread.
EbonySeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 19:38   Link #100
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim
For reference, the word "facts" isn't a good of a term to use, "arguments" is probably what we're looking for. This post will hopefully jog your memory a bit on what my arguments were:

This time either read and understand it, or ignore it. If you ignore it, then don't even bother replying to it. If you choose to reply to it, I hope you read it in full because I probably talked about whatever point you will bring up later in the post, or in an earlier post in this thread.
Ermmm read my post again. I said it was an argument, until you turned it into a flaming contest.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.