AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-05-27, 14:16   Link #21
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
One of the main issues that is still making animation an underutilized medium here in the wast is that many in the television industry think animation can only be used two ways. As a children's show or a raunchy adult comedy. This can be changed but people have to want and push for that change.

Also like ChainLegacy stated above the ship itself is starting to sail. With the advent of improved CGI many live-action movies can be made with the same over the top action and plots we're used to seeing in anime. One example that comes to mind is the "Fast and Furious" franchise has come like an action shounen series where you have the rag-tag group of social outcasts, fighting international criminals and terrorists with cars, and characters coming back from the dead just to be killed off again. Sounds familiar?
Your first point is one of the main reasons that I consider it "iffy." We just don't have the same view when it comes to animation as they do in Japan. It's kind of sad though, because there are a lot of talented people here with great ideas.

That is also true. Our movie industry is very big, so that makes sense. The only problem is that there are a lot of CGI animators that I feel don't do a very good job for today's standards (but that's a different story for a different time).
Old 2014-05-27, 15:26   Link #22
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
One of the main issues that is still making animation an underutilized medium here in the wast is that many in the television industry think animation can only be used two ways.
Thankfully, it still remains that way (the probably reason why anime is popular here would be the demand for the middle ground).

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 12:18   Link #23
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

....no mention of RWBY?
Old 2014-05-30, 22:17   Link #24
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
....no mention of RWBY?
That's like squeezing 20 drops of red food coloring, in a pool.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Old 2014-05-31, 00:34   Link #25
takai
Easy Muffin

Is it possible? Yes, I think Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra both stand as truth to that.

But finding the right minds to actually create things like that are hard to come by. So I think it will unfortunately remain uncommon.

However, I find TLAB and Korra to be much much better in quality than most popular anime out nowadays.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 03:03   Link #26
Tenzen12

I belive RWBY is only work that can be considered "american anime" right now. Avatar and Korra are first works that shown effort, but they wasn't authentical yet, maninly because creators made it based on what they THOUGHT anime is about instead of having enough of actual experiences.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 05:47   Link #27
RichardFromMarple

Just for the record the only British "Anime" I can think of was The Telebugs (aka The Gigglebytes), which was made in the 1980s.

Ron "Fagin" Moody did some of the voices for it.

According to the Wikipedia it's now owned by HIT.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 14:17   Link #28
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
That's like squeezing 20 drops of red food coloring, in a pool.
I've never seen RWBY (I know what it is of course). But what makes it seem so diluted to you? This is a common opinion of the show, I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
Is it possible? Yes, I think Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra both stand as truth to that.

But finding the right minds to actually create things like that are hard to come by. So I think it will unfortunately remain uncommon.

However, I find TLAB and Korra to be much much better in quality than most popular anime out nowadays.
I don't think that it's hard to come by, per se. It's just that the animation industry of today is run by a lot of "old minds." I'm sure that as more people in my age group graduate from college and move on into that industry, you'll start seeing a lot more.

By quality, do you mean animation? If so, I think it's because we have a larger budget for animations. Since we make considerably less cartoons, more effort is put on each individual show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I belive RWBY is only work that can be considered "american anime" right now. Avatar and Korra are first works that shown effort, but they wasn't authentical yet, maninly because creators made it based on what they THOUGHT anime is about instead of having enough of actual experiences.
Yeah, aside from the obvious asian culture influences and art-style, Avatar and Korra are definitely western shows (I don't know if that came across as sarcastic but I didn't intend it to). If I'm not mistaken, they didn't do very well in Japan, right?
Old 2014-05-31, 17:59   Link #29
zerozeronine

Don't forget that Japan has a low piracy rate compared to the west,why would you produce something that some teens and adults would rather download than buy the BD's/DVD's.The main reason that anime sales are low in the west.Just make cartoons for kids and let them bug their parents till they buy them the BD's.DVD's
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 20:27   Link #30
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There's probably two main things that's keeping anime as prolific as it is in Japan:

1. It being very effective advertising for manga, LNs, VNs, mecha models, card games, games in general, and even J-Pop idol groups. This means that there's a steady stream of entertainment companies turning to animation companies, asking them to produce anime shows to promote existing products.

2. Physical media sales (DVDs/Blu-Rays) are still pretty good for anime in Japan, when one considers the price model for these. In some cases, this very nicely "tops off" what No. 1 is already providing. In some other cases, it ensures the profitability of some very nice anime originals.

Without these two factors, anime itself would almost certainly be suffering right now, with there being far less of it being made than what's currently the case.

Now, in North America, we...

1. Don't really have other entertainment industries beating down the doors for full fledged-TV shows that are basically animated advertisements. The closest to this is the odd super hero comic book-based cartoon or animated film.

2. Physical media sales for animated works is pretty low, last I checked.

For American-Made Anime to become common, one or both of the above would probably have to change. Every now and then, a creative, enterprising upstart company may produce a RWBY, or kickstarter its way to something nice that even has high production values, but I doubt this alone can make something "common".

The good news is that I suspect that somebody out there will be inspired by RWBY (and/or the makers of RWBY will themselves make something else like it). But I doubt that America-Made Anime will see the same sort of sheer quantity that Japanese Anime does. At the very least, I can't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 2014-06-01, 12:00   Link #31
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchips18 View Post
I've never seen RWBY (I know what it is of course). But what makes it seem so diluted to you? This is a common opinion of the show, I've seen.
The amount of contenders.

Also by the feel.

Last edited by bhl88; 2014-06-01 at 16:45.
Old 2014-06-01, 16:45   Link #32
Bri

I'd settle for more traditional animation made in the US of any kind. There aren't many production houses left.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 16:46   Link #33
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I'd settle for more traditional animation made in the US of any kind. There aren't many production houses left.
Yeah, I still prefer hand-drawn stuff over computer generated ones.

Old 2014-06-01, 17:17   Link #34
Ravagerblade
Magic God Othinus

Quote:
wasn't Black★Rock Shooter close to using CGI?

As for the Topic thread name; I'm sure it could become popular; if they stop focusing on trying to be a comedy for the majority of it's genre and move into other territory.
Avatar: The Last Air bender while really great in it's own right by having a good storyline, great characters with their growth as well, pacing was not bad etc.
I also felt they could of left out some of the comedy and gone more serious, granted the age group it was aiming for but w/e. It has potential.
Old 2014-06-02, 09:34   Link #35
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
wasn't Black★Rock Shooter close to using CGI?

As for the Topic thread name; I'm sure it could become popular; if they stop focusing on trying to be a comedy for the majority of it's genre and move into other territory.
Avatar: The Last Air bender while really great in it's own right by having a good storyline, great characters with their growth as well, pacing was not bad etc.
I also felt they could of left out some of the comedy and gone more serious, granted the age group it was aiming for but w/e. It has potential.
It's only the mental world that is CG (and the ones in it), but I mean the characters.

As for Avatar, it was probably the dialogue that gave it away. Next to RWBY, I'd consider those two the top contenders.

Old 2014-06-02, 11:45   Link #36
Dark Wing

Quote:
I agree with this but want I really want to see is more animated works in the west take on more mature themes. The last one here in the States that I saw with anything of the sort was the movie Titan A.E. it's a shame that it was completely under rated.
Old 2014-06-02, 12:06   Link #37
Bri

I think The Boondocks comes pretty close as a fairly mature show, written and set in the US with an anime style. The latter isn't surprising as a consortium including Madhouse does the animation.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 22:08   Link #38
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
I agree with this but want I really want to see is more animated works in the west take on more mature themes. The last one here in the States that I saw with anything of the sort was the movie Titan A.E. it's a shame that it was completely under rated.
Both can actually do it, I just want the handdrawn one.

Old 2014-06-03, 15:13   Link #39
RichardFromMarple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
I recently saw Book 1 of the follow up series, The Legend Of Korra, which seems to take things more seriously, with some quite heavy issues dealt with some very strong undertones.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 15:21   Link #40
Ravagerblade
Magic God Othinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFromMarple View Post
I recently saw Book 1 of the follow up series, The Legend Of Korra, which seems to take things more seriously, with some quite heavy issues dealt with some very strong undertones.
Never watched The Legend of Korra really, maybe saw one episode or two and that was only segments of each.