AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-02, 19:01   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei LN - Discussion about Other Topics

The purpose of this thread is for questions and discussion for Mahouka related to Other Topics. (See also the threads about Magic & Technology, World and Setting, Character Powers, and Families. Use the more appropriate thread if one exists!)

Given that this is a source material thread, you are expected to have some familiarity with the source material before participating, and therefore some spoilers are to be expected. However, if you will be discussing major plot points that could spoil plot events that people may not have read yet, please be considerate and use properly-labelled spoiler tags. Properly-labelled means that the label identifies what the reader should already know before opening the tag.




There are two ways to create properly-labelled spoiler tags, as shown below:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 23:50   Link #2
nosaer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN, USA
I was surprised when I noticed that the Mahouka Thread was missing from the 1st page of the LN/M forums.

I was Shocked beyond belief when I didn't see it on the 2nd page either.

When I got to the third page and it wasn't there, I knew something was horribly wrong lol. Looks like this sub forum was the reason for that eh? Well I guess that works. It might be easier to skip all of the reoccurring shipping wars...But now there's no general thread for me to make a post like this one in lol.
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 03:33   Link #3
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
I want to make a comment in this thread since I just removed some posts in this thread about a rather sensitive topic.

As you may know, some of the geo-political implications of Mahouka's fictional future have been the subject of some controversy to certain cultures due to historical tensions and on-going disputes. I do not in any way want to play down or diminish the importance of these conversations and the issues that may still be considered unresolved. However, AnimeSuki Forums cannot provide a suitable environment to have these important and delicate conversations, and they are likely to only result in prolonged flame wars for reasons that are very poorly understood by the vast majority of the user base here. I think that everyone should educate themselves about East Asian history and geo-politics to better understand and appreciate some of the viewpoints that continue to cause hurt to this day. However, the staff are not able to provide a context where these conversations can happen in a fair, balanced, and neutral way. Therefore, we are asking everyone to please remain focused on the story itself as a work of fiction, and to refrain from bringing "3D issues" into this "2D world", even if you may perceive that the author is doing the opposite. I know that is a lot to ask given the context, but in that case I would simply ask these conversations happen elsewhere on the Internet where they can hopefully be better controlled, managed, and moderated. I may consider posting links to off-site resources that provide a relatively fair and neutral covering of these issues in order to promote education, but please contact me if you have such a resource, and understand that the staff will continue to use our discretion to avoid starting these sorts of flame wars on this site.

Thank you for your understanding.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:04   Link #4
Ultragunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Dunno if this is relevant but I just saw this news:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-novel-series

I was like: "Seriously?? "
__________________
Ultragunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:07   Link #5
Echizen777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Dunno if this is relevant but I just saw this news:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-novel-series

I was like: "Seriously?? "
That's a great news IMO.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:09   Link #6
Verisimilitude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Dunno if this is relevant but I just saw this news:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-novel-series

I was like: "Seriously?? "
Yeah, I saw it too. Will probably read it if someone translates it but all I'm wondering right now is how it'll affect the LN's release cycle.
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:18   Link #7
nosaer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN, USA
Im fine with him having another series, as long as he continues to take care of mahouka. on another note though, it seems that doll stories are becoming pretty popular recently. I wonder why he's going this route? It does look like its further in future than mahouka, so maybe the doll system is the evolved form of the parasite robots we're seeing in this series. It would be pretty awesome if there were some small links between the stories to make it seem like they happen in the same world
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:22   Link #8
Echizen777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaer View Post
Im fine with him having another series, as long as he continues to take care of mahouka. on another note though, it seems that doll stories are becoming pretty popular recently. I wonder why he's going this route? It does look like its further in future than mahouka, so maybe the doll system is the evolved form of the parasite robots we're seeing in this series. It would be pretty awesome if there were some small links between the stories to make it seem like they happen in the same world
Tatsuya's offspring.

I see Interference power. The dolls seem to be armor or mechas.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:30   Link #9
Chris38
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Age: 28
Well, that's some interesting news ... which, also unfortunately means that the breaks between each Mahouka volume might be a bit longer.

Of course it depends on Satou's competency as a writer ... but logically, since he is going to have two LN series to take care of ... he is going to need to shift / balance his time for each of them.

On the hand ... this new LN series seems to be pretty interesting and I will probably read it once it's english translation hopefully appears.

I also wonder how much relation it's going to have with the Mahouka universe as well...
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 10:40   Link #10
nosaer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Tatsuya's offspring.

I see Interference power. The dolls seem to be armor or mechas.
well I read it again and the dolls supposedly have a psychic boosting ability.

this could be an evolution of the boosters that were discussed by kazama and crew during the 9SC. possibly using parasites instead of magician brains as a source...but this is all speculation about a new series that hasn't been released yet so I'll hold off on anymore of it in the mahouka thread for now.
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 22:48   Link #11
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Does anyone have any ideas as to how many volumes mahouka will even have? Couldn't it possibly mean that the series is ending soon if the author is gonna start another series?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 22:51   Link #12
Verisimilitude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Does anyone have any ideas as to how many volumes mahouka will even have? Couldn't it possibly mean that the series is ending soon if the author is gonna start another series?
I don't see why. Plenty of authors have multiple works going on at the same time.
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 23:10   Link #13
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
I don't see why. Plenty of authors have multiple works going on at the same time.
Ahh okay, so the only thing that will be impacted is how many volumes he can pump out a year. That's fine.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 00:50   Link #14
nosaer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN, USA
Supposedly the Author said he wanted to do mahouka for all 3 of the high school years if the publishers allow it, and seeing as how it just got its own anime I don't think its in any danger of them cancelling it. If the first year arcs are to be an indication of length, then we can expect another 15 or so volumes.
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 11:30   Link #15
GBFirestorm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Where the Winds of Chaos blow
I think I remember reading that the author planned between 20 to 25 novels for Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
GBFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:27   Link #16
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
On request, I'll elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They're both wish-fulfillment characters. Kirito's wish is "I wish I was unbeatable in video games and that such skill made me popular". Tatsuya's... well, I suppose saying what wish he is would be hinting at future developments.
To be clear: I don't think they're similar at all. But they're both wish fulfillment. Tatsuya's wish is "I wish I was awesome and that nobody could hurt me. And that it made me popular".

The awesome part is, I think, self-evident. Even his so-called "weakness" with conventional magic is neatly circumvented by his Flash Cast ability, which is even better than normal CAD use.

The "hurt" is a bit more interesting. He can be temporarily damaged physically, but he'll just regenerate, as good as new. But mostly, it's about pain: with his emotions amputated, he can't be emotionally hurt, and even physical pain loses its real edge. He's said to pay a terrible price when he restores others... but without emotions, he feels no apprehension, and even the memory of pain is merely unpleasant. Just information, instead of a part of his being.

It's not even a new desire: a lot of characters are The Stoic. Usually all it takes is some traumatic event or unconventional childhood, not brainwashing, but that's unimportant.

As for the popularity - it's different from SAO. What did Kirito get? A beautiful wife and a cute daughter. And enough admirers to flatter his ego. What did Tatsuya get? Completely subservient women. Fortunately Mayumi and Lina were there to balance things out a bit, but Miyuki, Honoka and Pixie?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:52   Link #17
XFire
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In between the Light and Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
On request, I'll elaborate.



To be clear: I don't think they're similar at all. But they're both wish fulfillment. Tatsuya's wish is "I wish I was awesome and that nobody could hurt me. And that it made me popular".

The awesome part is, I think, self-evident. Even his so-called "weakness" with conventional magic is neatly circumvented by his Flash Cast ability, which is even better than normal CAD use.

The "hurt" is a bit more interesting. He can be temporarily damaged physically, but he'll just regenerate, as good as new. But mostly, it's about pain: with his emotions amputated, he can't be emotionally hurt, and even physical pain loses its real edge. He's said to pay a terrible price when he restores others... but without emotions, he feels no apprehension, and even the memory of pain is merely unpleasant. Just information, instead of a part of his being.

It's not even a new desire: a lot of characters are The Stoic. Usually all it takes is some traumatic event or unconventional childhood, not brainwashing, but that's unimportant.

As for the popularity - it's different from SAO. What did Kirito get? A beautiful wife and a cute daughter. And enough admirers to flatter his ego. What did Tatsuya get? Completely subservient women. Fortunately Mayumi and Lina were there to balance things out a bit, but Miyuki, Honoka and Pixie?
I agree with most of it, though I think both characters have more than enough development and problems to keep them from "wish-fulfillment" status.

However, Miyuki doesn't really count as subservient. She certainly tends to act that way around Tatsuya, but she does it deliberately to balance out the fact that he's completely subservient to her, and not entirely by choice. We see enough of her true character when ever she gets pissed or caught up in a contest.

Honoka and Pixie (who are basically the same character) are indeed like this. However, it isn't presented in a fetishy way, but instead as a kind of problem that neither side can help. Tatsuya can't return her feelings, which has been explained as gently as possible (My opinion of Tats sky-rocketed after that). But Honoka is just as incapable of stopping her own feelings, which were apparently created as a result of an experiment similar to the Miya used on Tats.
__________________
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:56   Link #18
Quol
That Guy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Road of Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
To be clear: I don't think they're similar at all. But they're both wish fulfillment. Tatsuya's wish is "I wish I was awesome and that nobody could hurt me. And that it made me popular".
...Tatsuya's wish was never that. His wish would be more along the lines of "I wish that i can protect Miyuki." Maybe another goal that he can have is "I wish to create a world where mages have a use other than weapons." It was never to be awesome or popular.

If your talking about the author's wish then i can somewhat agree. But this entire series is based around the idea of not judging things with normal standards the quote "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." fits this quite well. Basically all characters here have some kinda wonder ability.
__________________
Mondaiji-Taichi
"I'm - just as the appearance suggests - uncivilized and savage, Sakamaki Izayoi. Vulgar, Brutal, and Hedonistic, all that I need to be a hopeless person,
so please follow the Rules of Use and Dosage Guidelines, when interacting with me."

Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:58   Link #19
Echizen777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Honestly, a comparison between Kirito and Tatsuya is just forced, you can do it for many protagonist with slight similarities.

People are comparing both just because they are from 2 popular novels. If I ask for a comparison between Tatsuya and Batman, you will find a lot too.

It's as if you want to number the reasons people find him cool.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:16   Link #20
Rava
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Thanks, Anh Minh.

I find that an odd conclusion, considering that someone with that kind of a wish would have to be pretty masochistic to want to successfully endure Tatsuya's lethal version of Training from Hell to get there, and that he has to hide as much of his awesomeness as possible because it carries secret baggage. He's like watching someone do a solo run in a JRPG with a character that has a titanic MP pool and trying to conserve as much MP as possible.

As an aside on what Tatsuya got, I wouldn't count Miyuki among the subservient women list. It's more like, in addition to his own wants, he does whatever she wants him to do and tries very hard to avoid her getting thoughts that he doesn't like, because once she wants him to do something, he's got no choice in the matter. That was what got him into the Nine Schools Competition and, more recently, the sparring match with Tomitsuka.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.