AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-06-10, 05:54   Link #281
My Zodiac Aries
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
That would be ridiculous, given the explanations I would not like this at all. He can stay invincible without power ups.
he need power up, so he has no flaw anymore.
that will be very good.
My Zodiac Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 06:14   Link #282
Echizen777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Zodiac Aries View Post
he need power up, so he has no flaw anymore.
that will be very good.
No thanks. I want Tatsuya to stay invincible with his weaknesses, there is no perfect magician. I don't think there is a way to make his MCA suddenly able to cast powerful normal magics. If it happens it would ruin a lot of things for me.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 16:30   Link #283
Jirachier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
On the first part, I think we got a bit of a mix in definitions, when I said I don't think that Tomisuka is a counter character, I didn't mean that he didn't have an ability that counters decomposition or anything like that. When I say counter character if I were to give a definition it would be: a character B whose abilities and/or personality are opposing to Character A, and is able to either be able to greatly challenge Character A in either their fights or Ideologies. In some cases since their abilities can be anathema to Character A's they can easily beat them, even if Character A can normally beat characters that would defeat character B.
Your definition of a counter is correct but for me it also includes someone who is several tiers weaker than you yet because of his specific abilities is able to challenge you and make the fight last a while. Tomitsuka is around Hattori's level, the guy who lost to Tatsuya in less than a second yet Tomitsuka was able to last for this long against Tatsuya because of his specific ability which is nowhere near Tatsuya's hax powers but is a direct counter to them, it's just that Tatsuya is so broken that even when countered he can still win, but not with as much ease he he would've otherwise.

Quote:
When I said that I don't think Tomisuka is a counter character it is because I don't see him as being able to greatly challenge Tatsuya in a real fight. It doesn't matter if he can counter one ability if he would still be easily defeated. That said my idea of a counter character might be different than yours, causing the feeling of dissonance in my previous words.
This battle between Tatsuya and Tomitsuka was almost the same scenario that would happen in between them in a real fight because what's the difference between Tatsuya in a real fight and a friendly match ? It's decomposition(which is also useless against Tomitsuka be it in a friendly match or outside of it) and regrowth(Tomitsuka has no way of beating it but the fight will last quite a while), that's it.

Quote:
As Bietchie11 has mentioned above, I don't think that the fact that the author didn't make Tatsuya use sound amplification in battle means that it wouldn't work. I even mentioned in one of my earlier posts that he might have found it bad form to blast out an eardrum in a friendly match like this. Also, on top of that Tatsuya would probably have to pretend to have a blasted eardrum again, which he might want to avoid since it makes people needlessly worried. The author might even have just forgot about it when writing the scene, he is human after all
You might be right, the sad thing after reading/watching hundred of series out there, I came to expect the worse from authors, so for me if an author doesn't make a protagonist use an ability it's as good as the author saying it wouldn't work, even if that doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Tatsuya might have avoided it because instantly downing Tomisuka doesn't do what the in novel point of the match was: to showcase the abilities of Tatsuya and Tomisuka for Shippou to have his ego reduced
The best way to do that would be to OHKO Tomitsuka, look at how that changed Hattori when he was that a supposedly weaker magician defeated a "stronger" one.

Quote:
A simple work around doesn't really do that as effectively. As I can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, and I can see reasons why he would avoid it, I am hesitant to say it wouldn't work, since there is not the least bit of proof of that. I already mentioned in an earlier post how I doubt he would have been able to avoid it like masaki could have because he has to come close to Tatsuya at some point because he can't do ranged magic, and nothing he has done has given me the feeling that he could otherwise counter it.
One of the main reasons it worked against Masaki was that he was surprised and that he specialized in ranged bombardment rather than CQC which is the speciality of Tomitsuka.

Quote:
Also I meant that there might be cases besides the psion armor in the future that has unordered Psions that will give Tatsuya problems in the future, I never meant to imply that it had to be or even could be in the form of a spell, since that would order the psions and defeat the point. Well I can't think of any situation I am not so bold as to say that the author wouldn't be able to think of any.
The only possible case of unordered psions to give Tatsuya troubles is an armour of them, the only things that use raw psions are non systematic magics, the problem here is that they surround the entire body of Tomitsuka so Tatsuya has problems with that, any variance that doesn't do the same will be useless.
__________________
Jirachier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 18:41   Link #284
Sinarblood
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
Your definition of a counter is correct but for me it also includes someone who is several tiers weaker than you yet because of his specific abilities is able to challenge you and make the fight last a while. Tomitsuka is around Hattori's level, the guy who lost to Tatsuya in less than a second yet Tomitsuka was able to last for this long against Tatsuya because of his specific ability which is nowhere near Tatsuya's hax powers but is a direct counter to them, it's just that Tatsuya is so broken that even when countered he can still win, but not with as much ease he he would've otherwise.
Your addition to the counter character makes sense enough, and I see where you are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
This battle between Tatsuya and Tomitsuka was almost the same scenario that would happen in between them in a real fight because what's the difference between Tatsuya in a real fight and a friendly match ? It's decomposition(which is also useless against Tomitsuka be it in a friendly match or outside of it) and regrowth(Tomitsuka has no way of beating it but the fight will last quite a while), that's it.




You might be right, the sad thing after reading/watching hundred of series out there, I came to expect the worse from authors, so for me if an author doesn't make a protagonist use an ability it's as good as the author saying it wouldn't work, even if that doesn't make sense.



The best way to do that would be to OHKO Tomitsuka, look at how that changed Hattori when he was that a supposedly weaker magician defeated a "stronger" one.



One of the main reasons it worked against Masaki was that he was surprised and that he specialized in ranged bombardment rather than CQC which is the speciality of Tomitsuka.
Ok I am still going for the idea that sound amplification could work, which renders most of that argument moot. While it worked against Masaki because he is used to ranged bombardment and was suprised, my argument is this: Tomitsuka is close ranged and so he has to be in range for Tatsuya's sound amplification spell to work, and the fact that Tatsuya used Palm Oscillation strikes against him means that he was able to use close range spells against Tomitsuka multiple times without Tomitsuka being able to dodge and that was with Tatsuya's right hand holding a CAD. In a fight where he could openly flash cast he wouldn't have needed to hold a CAD for this so he would have had two hands and so even more opportunities to use magic close to Tomitsuka. Hence I feel like it could easily work against Tomitsuka. I'd even say that having to be in melee range to attack just means that Tomitsuka is in a position where it can be used against him even more than Masaki.

Also to add onto it, an instant win with sound amplification isn't nearly as impressive as the Hattori battle, as sound amplification is much more simple than the triple wave oscillation and show doesn't show that great skill as a magical technician. It gives more of a feeling that Tomitsuka had an easily missed weakness that Shippou didn't think to exploit, which might make him feel like an idiot for not doing it, but it wouldn't show either Tomitsuka's or Tatsuya's combat abilities very well. The Hattori battle on the other hand showed that the practical tests missed several factors and so was a bit inadequate overall, and hence the change in Hattori.

Furthermore, to add to previous reasons, I don't think I explained why blowing out an eardrum would be bad form in enough detail. In the battle with Tatsuya and Masaki, Tatsuya "had" to get medical treatment for one of his ears (at least, to pretend he couldn't just reverse the injury). Masaki probably needed more care than Tatsuya. Therefore it goes without a doubt that if this worked Tomitsuka would need medical care, which makes this battle moot in that Tatsuya had earlier in the novel condemned Shippou for using magic to the point where if he didn't intervene it could have hurt the Saegusa twins seriously. If Tatsuya had hurt Tomitsuka to the extent sound amplification does he would be in a similar situation (though Tomitsuka would have survived whereas the Saegusa twins might have been in much more dire straights). It would be counter-productive and not teach Shippou the intended lesson at all.

Also he might have not wanted to pretend to be injured again, and if he had missed it once in this battle he would be out because of that damage which he couldn't heal due to his classified status, while in a real battle he could try a second time due to regrowth.

As long as I can think of multiple reasons not to use it in a friendly match and no reasons why it wouldn't work in a real match I will stick by the idea that Tatsuya could have much more easily won.

Of course, it could be that there is an easy counter to the technique that we don't know that Tomitsuka does, but I don't assume a character can do something until their skills used in a series suggests that they do, and no magic that Tomitsuka used has suggested that he could.

It could also be that the author forgot as I suggested might be the case, and as you might fear, but as long as I can continue to find justifications to avoid using that spell in the scene, I am not going to let myself be to bothered with that possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
The only possible case of unordered psions to give Tatsuya troubles is an armour of them, the only things that use raw psions are non systematic magics, the problem here is that they surround the entire body of Tomitsuka so Tatsuya has problems with that, any variance that doesn't do the same will be useless.
As a mentioned, just because I can't think of a case that it can be used besides psion armor around a magician doesn't mean that there aren't other ways it could be used that neither you or I have thought of, but that the author did.




Now on a separate topic: Do you all think that Tatsuya having a thought controlled CAD will cause him to be able to flash cast openly whilst claiming that he was just using his thought controlled CAD?

Last edited by Sinarblood; 2014-06-12 at 19:05. Reason: changed the word "extend" to the intended "extent"
Sinarblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 21:58   Link #285
kazakiri
Nobody Knows
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Actually, Decomposition wouldn't be that useless in a real battle... He could use it to destroy Tomitsuka's footing for one, could also be used in other more creative ways to interfere with the setting and attack indirectly..

With regards to the Flashbang thing there were a few things that allowed Tatsuya to use that in 9sc

1. The match was being viewed on Camera, needless to say it probably could not follow each of their minute movements
2. He had a cad on his wrist to cover for the fact that he would be using flashcast
3. Masaki was a meat sack for a few seconds

1. He won't use Flashcast as it's a Yotsuba secret
2. Even if he used the same method to camouflage flashcast, it wouldn't work as their match is being witnessed in person
kazakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 22:12   Link #286
rladls2121
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
What is Tatsuya's views of Koreans?

Since Koreans are almost non existant in this series, If I missread anything, I really want to know how Korea and Korean people are in Tatsuya's perspective.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 22:20   Link #287
guestuser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
What is Tatsuya's views of Koreans?

Since Koreans are almost non existant in this series, If I missread anything, I really want to know how Korea and Korean people are in Tatsuya's perspective.
i dont get this ,did you look at mahouka world map because there is no koreans in mahouka because it became one country with china a.k.a the great Asian alliance so tatsuya will properly just see them as part of that country which is not a good view of them.
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 22:24   Link #288
rladls2121
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Yes I saw the world map, there is no Korea.
If that's all there is to Tatsuya's perspective, then I'm satisfied.

This decides it, there are no Koreans.
I kind of wanted to see if there are any major or minor Korean characters taking part of this story.

Thanks for the answer.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 00:23   Link #289
TrueAlchemist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
What is Tatsuya's views of Koreans?

Since Koreans are almost non existant in this series, If I missread anything, I really want to know how Korea and Korean people are in Tatsuya's perspective.
This discussion keeps popping up time to time.
Tatsuya does not have any opinion on any single country.
He nuked the harbor because he was ordered to nuke it. There is nothing to discuss about his feeling for any nation.

In some way, Miyuki is only country for Tatsuya. It is like having a line between Miyuki and the rest of world for Tatsuya.
If Miyuki asks Tatsuya a favor and tells him to nuke the planet, he will nuke the planet.
If Miyuki asks Tatsuya to move to U.S., EU, or China, he will just follow her.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 01:33   Link #290
rladls2121
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Sorry for being consistent.

I wont ask things like this ever again.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 02:10   Link #291
Echizen777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post

In some way, Miyuki is only country for Tatsuya. It is like having a line between Miyuki and the rest of world for Tatsuya.
If Miyuki asks Tatsuya a favor and tells him to nuke the planet, he will nuke the planet.
If Miyuki asks Tatsuya to move to U.S., EU, or China, he will just follow her.
Wut Tatsuya is not like that.

Tatsuya doesn't have an opinion about Korea, he never talked about it at least it was never written. He most likely doesn't care about them unless if you take GAA as a whole.Not that he voiced his opinion about GAA too.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 02:50   Link #292
TrueAlchemist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Wut Tatsuya is not like that.
I made a mistake and used wrong examples.
I am just emphasizing, Miyuki is Tatsuya's center of universe and will do anything.
Tatsuya will not simply obey everything Miyuki says. But, for the sake of Miyuki, moving (defecting) to another country or destroying the world are not out of option. The story of Mahouka will never reach this kind of ending.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2014-06-14 at 03:18.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 12:51   Link #293
Rava
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Sorry for being consistent.

I wont ask things like this ever again.
It's not you -- the last time that particular topic came up, it was brought up to bring the topic to Nationalism with a lot of rage, and mass scrubbing and warnings came after.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-19, 21:46   Link #294
amtro
Grammar Nazi
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Does Tatsuya have any proficiency with fortification spells?
It seems like something he should be good at, given that he is a superpower user specialized in operating directly on the eidos. Seeing how fortification doesn't betray his inability to alter phenomenons it should be a reasonable ability for him to have.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 00:41   Link #295
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Does Tatsuya have any proficiency with fortification spells?
It seems like something he should be good at, given that he is a superpower user specialized in operating directly on the eidos. Seeing how fortification doesn't betray his inability to alter phenomenons it should be a reasonable ability for him to have.
I don't think he does. Tatsuya destroys or recreates eidos, strengthening an objects position / coordinates would be altering it which he can't do.

However, he could probably use a very weak fortification spell thanks to his artificial mca
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 01:39   Link #296
I'm-here-present
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Unknown location
Tatsuya is a genius and can accomplish basics to moderate level spells... but not in a success level though because he magical ineptness is as awesome as his intellect . He won't need them anyway because of his already scary abilities.
I'm-here-present is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 12:09   Link #297
rladls2121
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
He is not human after all, he may not open his mouth too much and always thinks, take action, thinks, and take action.
When thinking, so much words I do not know are mentioned several times.
When he speaks, without probably any signs of emotion, he even speaks smoothly.
It is been bothering me that, he is always smooth on what he does best on what he is doing.
But, just talk to him about romance, other things that he does not know about, he sometimes be dumbfounded and surprised for a certain reason.
He is some sort of a radar, he is not omnipotent, but his perspective, he sees too much.
He makes his weakness seems like he is using as his strong point, though do not know why I'm sure of it.
Too bad I do not really understand him how good his skills as a magician, unfortunately light novel is the only answer to find out how his skills are.
I don't want to bother reading again.
Tatsuya often scold Miyuki too much, if I'm actaully misleading.
One last thing, his humor is another one of his strong points, his answers for other people's general fun topics is one of the things it keeps me entertaining.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 13:20   Link #298
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
He is not human after all, he may not open his mouth too much and always thinks, take action, thinks, and take action.
When thinking, so much words I do not know are mentioned several times.
When he speaks, without probably any signs of emotion, he even speaks smoothly.
It is been bothering me that, he is always smooth on what he does best on what he is doing.
But, just talk to him about romance, other things that he does not know about, he sometimes be dumbfounded and surprised for a certain reason.
He is some sort of a radar, he is not omnipotent, but his perspective, he sees too much.
He makes his weakness seems like he is using as his strong point, though do not know why I'm sure of it.
Too bad I do not really understand him how good his skills as a magician, unfortunately light novel is the only answer to find out how his skills are.
I don't want to bother reading again.
Tatsuya often scold Miyuki too much, if I'm actaully misleading.
One last thing, his humor is another one of his strong points, his answers for other people's general fun topics is one of the things it keeps me entertaining.
And your point is?
__________________
Metaphysics: Objective Reality
Epistemology: Reason
Ethics: Self-interest
Politics: Capitalism

-Silentwolfie-
bietchie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 13:32   Link #299
rladls2121
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
I'm sorry, my point is this character has too much to poke fun at.
This character caught too much attention, even more so in the anime.
Whether liking it and disliking it, this character's spec is very high and low in different meaning than I thought.
I do not need to mention about his skills as a magician, it is mentioned too much.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 19:31   Link #300
pampz21
Shipper4Lyf
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
And your point is?
Hes a boring character?

BTW Tatsuya reminds me of Shikamaru~
__________________


to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life


pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
epic awesome badass

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.