AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-06-04, 05:35   Link #1
Lyocol
Banned

Why there aren't many comedy shows in these days?

I know I shouldn't make a thread like this but there is a noticeable decline of comedy shows these days, especially light-hearted humor rather than satirical ones. When I mentioned the word "comedy" and I'm not talking about something like South Park, Family Guy, Simpsons, etc. In fact the most recent pure comedy show I ever saw is Ikamusume in 2011. I know it's not 100% comedy but at least it didn't take itself too seriously, unlike more popular shows in these days like overly-dramatic action show(Attack on Titan), overly-dramatic horror show(Mirai Nikki) and even overly-dramatic romance show(Nana). While I know Nana supposed to be dramatic which is natural for a josei show but it just having too many episodes than it should. For me 47 is too long while it can get 24 instead.

I also hate to hear when someone said K-On! as comedy while it's actually moe slice-of-life show. It may have comedic moments especially in second season but not really a comedy show. It just "cute girls doing cute things" show as apposed to "sexy boys doing sexy things" in Free! which also another KyoAni production. Speaking of KyoAni, Nichijou is really what I looking for in comedy that is. Unfortunately it failed to get attention it should deserve because most people don't like "lol random" jokes. Some says it is too long for a comedy show with 24 episodes. No wonder why KyoAni killed this show.

This thread may sounds like a whine but I do worry lack of true, non-satirical comedy shows in recent time. While not really the best comedy manga I ever read but Sumire 17 need to be animated as well as Yotsuba. I don't why Sumire 17 still fail to get an anime adaptation but as for Yotsuba its author prevented any effort for adaptation just because he hate to see what happened to his previous work, Azumanga Daioh.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 05:40   Link #2
IceHism

I think you are getting this a bit wrong. I would say that the majority of shows in a season are light hearted comedies and this is common all over the world. I honestly find a lot of overly dramatic shows are in the minority.
IceHism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 06:55   Link #3
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Are we watching the same media?

As Lighthearted comedies are literally one of the most common genres in anime, satirical comedy is pretty rare in anime, while parody is a bit more common but still less than lighthearted.

Since you are appearantly unaware of many of the series in the genre, allow me to help to list a few, while attempting to ignore any that fall too much into Slice of Life, or Satire/parody, romance focused, or drama heavy.
Working!! (2010/2011) - probably the best example of one recently
Servant x Service (2013) - see above. (same author)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (2010/2014) - be warned of dirty humor (verbally, not physically)
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku (2013) - looks like a cute girls doing cute things show, but is almost entirely comedy focused compared to the average one.

Quote:
I also hate to hear when someone said K-On! as comedy while it's actually moe slice-of-life show. It may have comedic moments especially in second season but not really a comedy show. It just "cute girls doing cute things" show as apposed to "sexy boys doing sexy things" in Free! which also another KyoAni production.
Those type of shows are still comedy when compared to most series since they typical have a good bit of comedy the amount varies from series to series. For example I would say Yuru Yuri and Yuyushiki definitely has more comedy than K-On did, while Non Non Biyori had less, I think you're being far too assuming in all moe slice-of-life series can't be a comedy just because of how you felt towards K-On. Especially when Ika Musume and Azumanga Daioh aren't too far removed from that genre to begin with .

P.S. Nichijou was actually voted best comedy here the year it aired, is ranked #101 on MAL with almost 100,000 members seen (#179 popularity). So while it wasn't commercially successful in japan it was better received else where than you may think.
Konakaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 07:05   Link #4
all_flying

@OP

Because you're just watching the show because they're popular (judging by your example). Dogakobo still making comedy and romance-comedy till this day. K-ON! is in comedy genre no matter how you twist your words. Whether it actually makes you laugh or not, it was completely different matter (AniDB, MAL, ANN, and any other anime databases support my words).

As for current season, I'm perfectly entertained with Kawaiso Complex, Usagi, and Love Live! S2. And there is still Mangaka & Assistant which I haven't touch it yet.

The amount of comedy genre is never declining. It was just your subjective view point is messed up. Go read some anime chart if necessary.
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 07:23   Link #5
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

There's Rokujouma no Shinryakusha airing next season too.

I don't know why someone would assume that comedy is on the slump when there's so much source of laughs in anime recently.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 26. Completed: 219. Plan to watch: 32.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 07:45   Link #6
OminousFlare

Send a message via Skype™ to OminousFlare
What the others said. If anything, anime has too much comedy for my taste. I prefer the more serious psychological stuff that's constantly lacking. The few good ones from recent years I could name off the top of my head are Mushishi, Madoka, and Psycho Pass. I'm sure there are a couple more titles, but I'm also sure that they aren't as common as comedy titles, or action titles, for that matter (which are also surpassed by the amount of comedy titles, by the way).
Old 2014-06-04, 09:41   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Perhaps it's just me but I can't see much comedy in K-on, in comparison Non Non Biyori (2013) or Minami-Ke (Tadaima: 2013) have a lot more in my opinion, anyway there are several comedy shows that aired recently besides the ones that have been already mentioned, for example Ixion Saga DT (2012-2013), the comedy aspect in that definitely overrides by a long degree the basic fantasy plot. Tonari no Seki-kun (2014) is pure comedy in shorts format and finished airing a few days ago. Maria Holic ( Alive 2011) is 100% parody. Daily Lives of High School Boys (2012), Hataraku Maou-sama (2013), Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (2012-2013), Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! (2013)

And these are just shows that I personally watched.

Jan-Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 10:17   Link #8
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with Jan-Poo on K-On, and that's coming from somebody who likes K-On.

However, Konakaga, Jan-Poo and others have made good recommendations on this thread for the OP's consideration. All I would add is Love Lab.
Old 2014-06-04, 13:09   Link #9
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

So, what have I been watching shows such as Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san, Seitokai no Ichizon, Kill Me Baby, Joshiraku, and Hoozuki no Reitetsu for, if not for their high comedic contents? Even Mikakunin de Shinkokei, which I think is technically more romance-driven, had quite a lot of funny moments. And then there's the harem comedies, like OniAi, OreShura, and NouCome, which may not be everyone's cup of tea due to the high amounts of ecchi fanservice, but I thoroughly enjoyed.

Seriously, I can find enough comedy in anime, which is a good thing, because I like comedy and I want to watch at least one comedy show per season (preferably more).

Also, KyoAni killed Nichijou? That's news to me. I find that hard to believe, given how much it looked like the studio had fun making it.
Old 2014-06-04, 14:34   Link #10
Darthtabby

If I was to choose a show of the year for each of the years from 2010-2013, three of them would be comedies (B Gata H Kei, Ben-to, and Hataraku Maou-sama!) and the other would be a drama with some comedic elements (Tari Tari). If anything I've been in a bit of a rut for more dramatic material the last few years, as a lot of those shows either weren't to my taste or were ultimately kind of disappointing.

There are a lot of anime comedies actually, I think they're just been overshadowed somewhat by the runaway success of a few of the darker and more dramatic shows.

Shameless plug: If you haven't seen Ben-to, give that one a try (assuming you can deal with some ecchi content). Funimation licensed it earlier these year and has been streaming it on their website.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 17:07   Link #11
Lyocol
Banned

@Lord of Fire: While KyoAni never say that they abandoned Nichijou but to this day we never get any hints there will be a sequel or not. Nichijou isn't the only high-profiled KyoAni show with uncertain future. Lucky Star for example still no sequel announced despite have been released seven years ago(2007). They also stopped milking K-On! despite still making money to these days. I hate to think about it but I'm sure KyoAni too busy making Free! sequel and some other more interesting shows like Tamago Market were killed in order to make way for Free!. I can say lot about that studio but in order to stay faithful to the thread and as well as avoiding angry Free! fangirls I decided to save this in other thread instead.

Back to topic it is true there are many comedy shows out there but most of them either action comedy shows like Fairy tail or One Piece or "black" comedy like School Days. I know lots of people have no idea why I put School Days as comedy even though it do had some comedic moments but there are many people found themselves laughing at the last ten minutes of the last episode. No need to explain that further but most of them got the message right and that's why SD is a black comedy for me.

While Teekyuu somewhat very satirical but at least it got the comedy right, although most of them are involving Marimo and her perverted lesbian antics, which is rare in anime or any works of fiction to begin with. I know most people already tired to see her flipping other girls' skirts and steal their panties but I don't think I can see that elsewhere.

I know Ikamusume is not 100% comedy but at least it had what I want to see in all comedy shows: It didn't take itself too seriously. It was fun to think "what she going to do today?". So is Azumanga Daioh and Minami-ke.

While there plenty comedy shows but just like Darthtabby said they were overshadowed by darker and more dramatic shows like Attack on Titan and Mirai Nikki for examples. I also avoiding myself mentioning Gintama and Sket Dance because I'm not a big fan of their humor that constantly parodying other Jump shows, which I'm no big fan of.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 17:54   Link #12
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post
While there plenty comedy shows but just like Darthtabby said they were overshadowed by darker and more dramatic shows like Attack on Titan and Mirai Nikki for examples. I also avoiding myself mentioning Gintama and Sket Dance because I'm not a big fan of their humor that constantly parodying other Jump shows, which I'm no big fan of.
Overshadowed in what exactly

Sales
Discussion generated
Popularity on the internet

For example Shinsekai yori (voted best 2013 anime here) here is ranked higher on MAL yet it has been seen by less users than Hataraku Maou-sama! (best comedy here 2013) and sold dramatically less copies than it. While Shinsekai yori had far more discussion than Maou-sama! for sure, but I think that comedy genre naturally has less discussion typically.

So I ask again how are comedy series overshadowed when they have examples of commercial successful popular animes series.
Konakaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 18:10   Link #13
IceHism

I honestly don't feel like it is fair for you to say "I'm not a fan of this type of comedy, so it doesn't count as a comedy" and then conclude that there aren't many comedy series coming out. From my POV as someone who generally dislikes comedy, there's too much of them in one season to me.
IceHism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 18:27   Link #14
all_flying

Quote:
@Lord of Fire: While KyoAni never say that they abandoned Nichijou but to this day we never get any hints there will be a sequel or not. Nichijou isn't the only high-profiled KyoAni show with uncertain future. Lucky Star for example still no sequel announced despite have been released seven years ago(2007). They also stopped milking K-On! despite still making money to these days. I hate to think about it but I'm sure KyoAni too busy making Free! sequel and some other more interesting shows like Tamago Market were killed in order to make way for Free!. I can say lot about that studio but in order to stay faithful to the thread and as well as avoiding angry Free! fangirls I decided to save this in other thread instead.

Back to topic it is true there are many comedy shows out there but most of them either action comedy shows like Fairy tail or One Piece or "black" comedy like School Days. I know lots of people have no idea why I put School Days as comedy even though it do had some comedic moments but there are many people found themselves laughing at the last ten minutes of the last episode. No need to explain that further but most of them got the message right and that's why SD is a black comedy for me.

While Teekyuu somewhat very satirical but at least it got the comedy right, although most of them are involving Marimo and her perverted lesbian antics, which is rare in anime or any works of fiction to begin with. I know most people already tired to see her flipping other girls' skirts and steal their panties but I don't think I can see that elsewhere.

I know Ikamusume is not 100% comedy but at least it had what I want to see in all comedy shows: It didn't take itself too seriously. It was fun to think "what she going to do today?". So is Azumanga Daioh and Minami-ke.

Basically, you're angry because Japanese studios didn't make comedy which fit to your taste?

Last edited by Solace; 2014-06-04 at 21:14. Reason: No reaction/retort images.
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 19:07   Link #15
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Since we're apparently arbitrarily defining what comedy is, (It's funny only if I say so and for some reason is mutually exclusive with other genres) I highly recommend Kaiji, Umineko and Another. They have made me laugh the most these past few years.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 20:12   Link #16
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol
Why there are so many comedy shows in these days?
Fixed.

I could add the word "bad" in between "many" and "comedy" but that may be too subjective of a statement. I honestly have no idea what the OP is talking about because in any medium of entertainment, comedy is by far the most common genre, including anime. Whether it's good and whether you like it is a different topic however.
Old 2014-06-05, 02:55   Link #17
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
I'm just going to say this kind of explains itself. You're simply looking in the wrong area for the comedy shows.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-05, 09:40   Link #18
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Errr I think the only meaningful approach to decide what genre something is, is by trying to understand what the author meant it to be, because clearly if we had to decide what is comedy or not based on how much funny different people think a show is we would never reach an agreement.

If the OP's problem is that there aren't many shows that makes him laugh he should use the word "funny" instead of "comedy".

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2014-06-05 at 10:02.
Jan-Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-05, 10:47   Link #19
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

This feels like a poorly-veiled recommendation thread.

Anyway, I'll second Triple_R and suggest the OP watch Love Lab.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Santa Company
Isshuukan Friends
Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
Miss Monochrome: The Animation
The Little Mermaid (1975)
Space Dandy
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-05, 12:47   Link #20
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Nichijou is owned by Kadokawa, not KyoAni. if Kadokawa finds the sales for the Blu-Rays, combined with the manga sales not worth making more anime, KyoAni can't do anything about it. Similar thing goes for Lucky Star (I do believe a spin-off will be animated in the near future, though I don't know who'll do it).

As for K-ON!, the college manga didn't do so well and I think the reception for the restarted HS manga, though better received than the college version, was also not so stellar, indicating the fans didn't really like the new stuff. Also, though KyoAni sponsored lot of the anime in S2, they don't own the license, so they don't get to say what happens to it, or at least, they don't have full control over it.

Tamako Market has a movie either out or due in theaters soon, so I don't consider that dead in any way.

As for Free!, that's currently KyoAni's cash cow, so it's understandable that they want to make more. After this, though, it's anyone's guess what they'll do, aside from the already announced project (which is not a KyoAni property for once).

Quote:

First check out some of the titles that have been mentioned, then come back to us. And don't try to limit yourself by discounting everything listed as parody. Some parodies are quite funny even if you know nothing about what they're parodying.