AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-06-22, 16:17   Link #1
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Any recomndations

Hello every one i am new to the forum and i am pretty excited to join. For my first post i wanted to see if i can get some recommendations on anime series based on what i like and figured this would be the best place to ask.

Current favorites

Clannad
Kannon
Haruhi Suzumiya
Gosick
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 16:30   Link #2
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Hmm ... well, I would make a few suggestions off the top of my head:

Mashiro-Iro Symphony
Hyouka
Dantalian no Shoka

Have you seen any of these?

If you have an A-P or Mal profile it would be helpful to link to it so people recommending series to you can avoid mentioning ones you may have already seen....
__________________
Flower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 16:46   Link #3
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
no i haven't i will have to check them out. Of those three you mentioned which one is your favorite?
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 16:58   Link #4
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunabuseman View Post
no i haven't i will have to check them out. Of those three you mentioned which one is your favorite?
Difficult one....

I would have to go with Hyouka, but it is a tough call. I really enjoyed Mashiro Iro and Dantalian as well....

Hyouka has the "solving mysteries" element like Gosick, and while the art is absolutely incredible I found the story engaging too. ^^
__________________
Flower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 17:25   Link #5
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
ill start with that one first thank you
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 22:35   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunabuseman View Post
Hello every one i am new to the forum and i am pretty excited to join. For my first post i wanted to see if i can get some recommendations on anime series based on what i like and figured this would be the best place to ask.

Current favorites

Clannad
Kannon
Haruhi Suzumiya
Gosick
Hmmm... it might help if you could give some more details on what you like about each of those anime. Just going by the list I would guess that you enjoy emotionally intense Romance and Slice of Life with a bit of fantastical elements included. Maybe a secondary interest in mysteries.

Something like Ano Hana or maybe Hanasaku Iroha would have that intense slice of life with a bit of romance. Since you like Clannad (I assume that by Clannad you mean the After Story season) and Kannon.

Bunny Drop is a quite emotional intensive slice of life.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru is a quirky little slice of life with a bit of whimsical fancy and mystery on the side.

Minami-ke is a pretty solid slice of life.

The World Good Only Knows has a bit more of the romantic comedy (like the first season of Clannad).

If you want more Slice of Life-ish Romance something by Adachi would be a good choice: Cross Game (latest) or Touch (old classic) maybe.

Or Maison Ikkoku by Takahashi if you want something a bit more mature (characters are in college instead of highschool).

Madoka Magica doesn't really fit the genres you listed, but is one of the biggest hits for anime in the last decade, and does hit some similar emotional notes. Give it three or four episodes and see if you like it.

A Certain Scientific Railgun
is more like the fantasy world Haruhi says she is looking for. It's a rather light-hearted show, with quite a bit of fan service, but second season becomes very serious and the fan service disappears.

I also noticed you seem to like Kyoto Animation alot. Some shows that they are famous for are: Lucky Star, K-On, and the previously mentioned Hyouka. All of which are slice of life anime, Hyouka having a bit of mystery solving included.

Not an anime, but a manga I would strongly recommend based on you liking Haruhi: Koi Dano Ai Dano
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Flower; 2014-06-22 at 23:51. Reason: Do not link to such sites in the future....
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 10:46   Link #7
Augustana
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Estonian
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Augustana
Ef tale of memories , Ef tale of melodies
__________________
Augustana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 16:34   Link #8
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Hmmm... it might help if you could give some more details on what you like about each of those anime. Just going by the list I would guess that you enjoy emotionally intense Romance and Slice of Life with a bit of fantastical elements included. Maybe a secondary interest in mysteries.

Something like Ano Hana or maybe Hanasaku Iroha would have that intense slice of life with a bit of romance. Since you like Clannad (I assume that by Clannad you mean the After Story season) and Kannon.

Bunny Drop is a quite emotional intensive slice of life.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru is a quirky little slice of life with a bit of whimsical fancy and mystery on the side.

Minami-ke is a pretty solid slice of life.

The World Good Only Knows has a bit more of the romantic comedy (like the first season of Clannad).

If you want more Slice of Life-ish Romance something by Adachi would be a good choice: Cross Game (latest) or Touch (old classic) maybe.

Or Maison Ikkoku by Takahashi if you want something a bit more mature (characters are in college instead of highschool).

Madoka Magica doesn't really fit the genres you listed, but is one of the biggest hits for anime in the last decade, and does hit some similar emotional notes. Give it three or four episodes and see if you like it.

A Certain Scientific Railgun
is more like the fantasy world Haruhi says she is looking for. It's a rather light-hearted show, with quite a bit of fan service, but second season becomes very serious and the fan service disappears.

I also noticed you seem to like Kyoto Animation alot. Some shows that they are famous for are: Lucky Star, K-On, and the previously mentioned Hyouka. All of which are slice of life anime, Hyouka having a bit of mystery solving included.

Not an anime, but a manga I would strongly recommend based on you liking Haruhi: Koi Dano Ai Dano
i think you hit the nail in the coffin, i enjoy "emotional intensive" anime.
Thanks
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 16:36   Link #9
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustana View Post
Ef tale of memories , Ef tale of melodies

Short summary please. Thanks
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 18:26   Link #10
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunabuseman View Post
Short summary please. Thanks
Hmm both series are each deeply focused on the relationship of two couples (4 in total) which stories somehow overlap and depict very complex situations.

They are very dramatic, if you are going to watch them prepare several tissues.

BTW I recommend those too.

If you liked Clannad and Kanon you might also want to try "Little Busters" and "Air" which are also adaptions of Key visual novels and they are similar in style (very lighthearted premises and then lot of drama!)
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 19:02   Link #11
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Hmm both series are each deeply focused on the relationship of two couples (4 in total) which stories somehow overlap and depict very complex situations.

They are very dramatic, if you are going to watch them prepare several tissues.

BTW I recommend those too.

If you liked Clannad and Kanon you might also want to try "Little Busters" and "Air" which are also adaptions of Key visual novels and they are similar in style (very lighthearted premises and then lot of drama!)
Thanks, i just started watching air today, looks pretty good so far
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 19:04   Link #12
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Clannad/Kannon = Air, Angel Beats and Little Busters. All 5 shows were done by Key.

Otherwise I also would recommend AnoHana, Kokoro correct, Bungaku Shoujo and Hansaku Iroha.

Gosick = if it is mystery elements you liked then how about Ghost Hunt? Or Shinrei Tantei Yakumo?

It would be more useful if you could specify as to what you liked in those shows. Cause mystery wise I can think of a lot more, but they are more brutal or give different kind of feeling.

Otherwise I also would recommend Chihayafuru, Cross Game, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, White Album 2 and maybe Shigofumi.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 18:16   Link #13
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Clannad/Kannon = Air, Angel Beats and Little Busters. All 5 shows were done by Key.

Otherwise I also would recommend AnoHana, Kokoro correct, Bungaku Shoujo and Hansaku Iroha.

Gosick = if it is mystery elements you liked then how about Ghost Hunt? Or Shinrei Tantei Yakumo?

It would be more useful if you could specify as to what you liked in those shows. Cause mystery wise I can think of a lot more, but they are more brutal or give different kind of feeling.

Otherwise I also would recommend Chihayafuru, Cross Game, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, White Album 2 and maybe Shigofumi.
Thanks, i really enjoy the sad/romance in anime with a bit of mystery and a surprise ending
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 07:33   Link #14
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Well then most of those should do quiet well =)
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 21:03   Link #15
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Any manga suggestions as well ? Thanks
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 22:02   Link #16
JustThisOne
Eternally Ignored
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunabuseman View Post
Any manga suggestions as well ? Thanks
Bitter Virgin, tragedy and romance that's all I will say
JustThisOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 15:01   Link #17
Setsunabuseman
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Under the clounds, over the moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThisOne View Post
Bitter Virgin, tragedy and romance that's all I will say
will have to read, any others?
__________________
~The Setsuna Buseman
Setsunabuseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 15:13   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Do you have any feedback on the suggestions already made?

That would help us pick out additional anime or manga that you would like.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 19:08   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamabuki Art High School
Age: 65
These suggestions are not necessarily designed to fit your current preferences but to expand your horizons

Nodame Cantabile - Two classical music prodigies meet up in Tokyo conservatory.

Usagi Drop - A thirty-year-old salaryman takes on the responsibility of raising a five-year-old girl.

Kurenai - A sixteen-year-old boy takes on the task of protecting a seven-year-old heiress.

Seirei no Moribito - A thirty-year-old spear-wielding female bodyguard becomes the protector of a twelve-year-old prince targeted for assassination. (Stream is dubbed; I'd look for a fansub if I were you. Since Moribito is licensed I cannot link to any here.)

Eden of the East - An amnesiac young man discovers he has remarkable powers and meets a nice young lady along the way.

Dennou Coil - Elementary school kids inhabit a virtual world where dark forces may be at work. One of my top-ten anime from the past decade despite it not being widely known.

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin - A young girl displays a remarkable ability to communicate with sacred beasts and thus becomes embroiled in a political struggle.

All of these are pretty emotional. Nodame is a comedy; the rest are mostly dramas.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 02:02   Link #20
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: A un millón de años luz de casa...
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunabuseman View Post
Any manga suggestions as well ? Thanks
Koe no Katachi, Main themes: Bullying, redemption..
The history of a former bully seeking redemption for wronging a classmate, a little girl who happens to be deaf.. All I can say is, the feels...
Be prepared to see the real ugly side of kids, and teenagers...
__________________
Cuando pase el temblor en la ciudad de la furia sonará de música ligera y estaremos prófugos detrás de la persiana americana.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.